PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimization challenge: how would you build a level 20 party to take on epic foes?

Pramxnim
2018-08-17, 11:15 PM
Hey everyone, welcome to an optimization challenge!

I'd like to crowdsource from players who like to optimize their characters to try and build a team that can take on the highest CR monsters in the playtest bestiary. A sort of stress test for the system, see how it holds up at the high end of play.

The rules: Create 1 or more characters at level 20, using every trick in the book to make the most effective character(s) you can. Any exploit you can muster, any cheese you think you've discovered, use it. Just keep in mind that you're trying to fight the most dangerous monsters designed by Paizo for PF2. Spare no expenses. Assume your character will be used in a party of 4 used to take on each of the big monsters below. You don't have to use the same party for each threat, but it's a bonus if you can make the same party work for multiple threats.

Treasure: Ideally, I'd like to see a party that can take on level 19 and 20 monsters, as well as monsters from level 21-23. The character wealth table on p.348 provides a nice guideline for what a character at level 20 should start with, but in order to fight higher level threats, I think the PCs need all the help they can get.

Therefore, I'd like you guys to have 2 sets of items ready: 1 set based on the table on p.348 to fight threats at level 19 and 20, and 1 set to fight against threats at levels 21-23.

For the first set, you start with the items listed on the table as well as the starting gold. There's no mention of item rarity, but let's just say you get 1 rare item and 2 uncommon items from among them.

For the 2nd set, pick any number of magic items of any level in the book. Be the most Magical Christmas Tree you can be. You'll need it.

The enemies:

Level 19: Ancient Red Dragon (p.59), Grendel (p.77).

Level 20: Fire Demon (Balor, p.42), Pit Fiend (p.51), Star Spawn of Cthulhu (p.108)

Level 21: Grim Reaper (p.78), Mu Spore (p.89)

Level 22: Devastator (p.47), Thanatotic Titan (p.109)

Level 23: Jabberwock (p.82)

These monsters are all nasty and will chew you up. I recommend having at least 1 way to grant buffs to your party, as you'll need every advantage you can get against these guys.

Good luck, and happy brewing!

Kaouse
2018-08-20, 04:47 PM
Did you say this was for PF1 or PF2? Or DnD 3.5? Just gotta be sure. If it's PF1, then I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few level 20 caster builds that could outright solo.

Rynjin
2018-08-20, 04:52 PM
I think you might have a hard time finding enough people that care about PF2's existence enough to participate in a thought experiment like this. Even the official playtest forums on Paizo are dead.

48+ hours without a single post on your big new game isn't exactly a great sign.

Kyrell1978
2018-08-20, 05:02 PM
Summoner, Druid, Ranger, Life oracle. Optimize the first three for ranged combat with their animal companions/eidolons doing the majority of the Melee and bring on all of the heals with the life oracle. Sorry, I really don't have the time to expend doing all the builds out on paper.