PDA

View Full Version : Need a Pathfinder build...

Quertus
2018-08-18, 12:48 AM
So, I'm not really familiar with Pathfinder. Let me explain the specifics of what I want.

What I want is, something to let me really see the differences between Pathfinder and 3e. Honestly, my first thought was to just play some high-CR monster, with massive penalties to everything. But is there a better answer? Something that would better demonstrate the design differences between Pathfinder and 3e?

Also, I usually play in reasonably high-op groups. In case that matters to determine what would be viable.

Lastly, I rarely play purely mundane characters. So a straight Fighter might be different enough from what I play that I'd miss the forest for the trees.

Thoughts?

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-08-18, 01:02 AM
I’m going to recommend the Vigilante. Talents to choose every level, a couple of bonuses that scale with class level, and many archetypes that totally change how it plays. It’s the quintessential PF class imo. A couple of things to note:
*You can still use all your “Vigilante Talents” while in your Social Identity as long as you don’t care if people know you can fight (you probably don’t). Alter Ego is an optional thing that won’t come up often in most games.
*I recommend the Magical Child if you want to play a caster. Take a 2-level dip of Eldritch Guardian Fighter and flank with your familiar (which is unique in being able to take familiar archetypes on Improved Familiars)

Alternately, check out Investigator. Similar structure, but more of a caster-rogue hybrid.

Florian
2018-08-18, 02:45 AM
Hm... PF is a bit different when it comes to resource management, so I´d go for one of the classes that is really heavily into this, so Inquisitor, Magus or Warpriest.

Kurald Galain
2018-08-18, 03:16 AM
What I want is, something to let me really see the differences between Pathfinder and 3e. Honestly, my first thought was to just play some high-CR monster, with massive penalties to everything. But is there a better answer? Something that would better demonstrate the design differences between Pathfinder and 3e?

There's a surprisingly easy answer for that: play a gish (or magical warrior, or fighter/wizard hybrid).

Specifically, get the ability to make a full attack and cast a spell in the same round. Now in 3.5, this would require some obscure combos, several prestige classes, and about ten levels to get going. Whereas in PF, you can straightforwardly do this at level two.

Warpriest or Magus, really. Bloodrager and Mesmerist are also an option.