PDA

View Full Version : How can males be made essential to a gender-specific magic system?

Mr.nyalathotep
2018-08-18, 08:15 AM
In this world, wirchcraft is practiced openly and is respected. It exists in two forms: ritual and arcane. Ritual magic involves using the mana of the world and directing it in a way to suit you (altering terrain, changing the weather, erecting barriers, etc). It requires chanting, numerous ingredients, and a group of people depending on the spell. Although powerful, it takes a long time, and is only active for as long as the spell is performed. When the spell stops, the magic ends.

The second type, arcane, requires the use of your own mana to perform spells. This is the fireball, lightning wielding type that is geared towards attacking. It is simpler and faster than ritual magic. However, it is difficult to control and dangerous to use. More powerful spells require large amounts of mana, and a person can maim or kill themselves if they aren't careful.

The third type is rune magic, which involves giving magical properties to inanimate objects. All runes must be of a certain size depending on purpose, and work with some objects better than others. Some objects can be combined to form new materials, or given properties that would be unnatural for it. Runes are not permanent and must be re-applied periodically.

Witchcraft in this world is exclusive to females, but I want males to be important to this system in some way in order to make it more balanced. How can I go about doing this?

Eldan
2018-08-18, 08:51 AM
Mana. Not mana points as in magic poitns, but something closer to the mythological concept.

Make it so that great deeds of your clan and your clan's representative give you more power. The warriors going out and doing heroic deeds makes rune magic and ritual magic easier.

GaelofDarkness
2018-08-18, 12:39 PM
Using mana (the mythological concept) could indeed be cool. If ritual magic draws on the aid of spirits in some way - even just for aid in getting more mana (magic) - then improving the clan's standing with the spirit world/the ancestors/the world spirit/what have you makes your ritual casting more powerful because you get a greater share of the magic energy available.

The Wheel of Time series has magic divided between male and female channelers. They each had different strengths and called on different sources, but even if you want to keep all magic users strictly female, you could maybe take a cue from how the series handled group-channeling of magic. Only women could start and form the "circle" between the different channelers - though she could then pass the control of the spell to someone else even if they were male. However, the major limitation is that by using only female channelers, the circle can have at most 13 members. If a male channeler joins the circle, an additional 13 female channelers can now join. After this, every male channeler added allows for an additional 8 female channelers to join the circle, with the total size of the circle limited to 72. So you could have a system where men are needed for larger rituals - even if not directly. Maybe their lack of magic means the witches can use the men to ground themselves when dealing with very powerful magic. Maybe group rituals requires the power to be channeled through a female, then male, then female, then male, etc. to remain in harmony.

Xuc Xac
2018-08-18, 12:41 PM
Mana. Not mana points as in magic poitns, but something closer to the mythological concept.

There were two traditional ways to generate mana: war and sex. The males can generate more mana for the witches by going out and killing or conquering the neighbors. Or they can energize the witches by more direct means.

Mr.nyalathotep
2018-08-18, 01:55 PM
Maybe their lack of magic means the witches can use the men to ground themselves when dealing with very powerful magic.

what do you mean by this "grounding"?

KatteLars
2018-08-18, 03:06 PM
You could also go the WH40k "blank" route, they have something similar in the powder mage series: Basically men could be "anti magic" so they can shut down rituals or arcane casting and suppress runes, either consciously or by mere presence. If not all women can cast spells, not all men can block them, but it would create some interesting situations. Men would have to be actively excluded from ritualistic areas, for example, for the good of society, which could lead to all sorts of enmity, segregation and problems.

EDIT: on a more positive note, they could act as safeguards for women casters, stepping in if magic is threatening to overwhelm them

Themrys
2018-08-18, 03:34 PM
I read somewhere that in ancient Norse culture, it was believed that the practising of magic required one to have sexual intercourse with males.

Men were believed to be technically able to do magic, but it was considered a bit unmanly. Or, well, gay. For obvious reasons.

You could do that, if you don't mind having a few male magic users.

Other than that, I think an "all people produce mana but only women can use it" approach could work. Any given resource is usually used up faster than it's produced, so men would be pretty important.

Grim Portent
2018-08-18, 07:33 PM
Is magical potential at all inherited? If so then the inherited potential could pass only through male lines.

For example say we have witch A. A has two children, a daugher B and a son C. Neither B nor C are able to use magic inherited from their mother. If B has a daughter it will also not inherit any magic, if C has a daughter it will inherit magic.

This makes the sons of witches vital to maintaining magical potential in other witches' daughters and encourages them to arrange marriages between their children to make sure as many generations as possible are magical giving them something of a similar dynamic to noble bloodlines.

JeenLeen
2018-09-10, 12:50 PM
I read somewhere that in ancient Norse culture, it was believed that the practising of magic required one to have sexual intercourse with males.

Men were believed to be technically able to do magic, but it was considered a bit unmanly. Or, well, gay. For obvious reasons.

You could do that, if you don't mind having a few male magic users.

Other than that, I think an "all people produce mana but only women can use it" approach could work. Any given resource is usually used up faster than it's produced, so men would be pretty important.

Drawing just from old World of Darkness lore (that is, not from real world religion). I think the "Dark Ages" Mage book, but when it's five different traditions (little 't') and the 9 Spheres don't exist yet.
The Nordic tradition, a forerunner of the Euthanatos, is one the five.

It stated that magic was generally viewed as feminine. Despite Odin being the Allfather and God of Magic (so a magic-user AND very male figure), it just wasn't proper activity for men.
...and I think the book went into why, and I had planned to write about that, but I realize now that I forget the details.

But, um, that book could be a reference.