Hit Dice: 1d10
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10+Con Mod
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6)+Con Mod

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light, Medium, and Heavy, but not Shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, Improvised Weapons, and Hand Crossbows
Tools: Thieves' Tools

Saving Throws: Strength and Dexterity
Skills: Choose four from Acrobatic, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-(a) A Greatclub or (b) any simple melee weapon
-(a) A shortbow and 20 arrows or (b) a Hand Crossbow and 20 bolts
-(a) A Burglar's pack, (b) a Dungeoneer's pack, or (c) an Explorer's pack
-(a) Leather armor, (b) Scale Mail, or (c) Chain Mail
-Thieves' tools and two daggers

Enforcer

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Thuggish Blows

1st
+2
Thuggish Blows, Expertise, Thieves' Cant
1d4

2nd
+2
Quick Action
1d4

3rd
+2
Enforcer's Archetype
2d4

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
2d4

5th
+3
Extra Attack
3d4

6th
+3
Expertise
3d4

7th
+3
Uncanny Dodge
4d4

8th
+3
4d4

9th
+4
Archetype Feature
5d4

10th
+4
5d4

11th
+4
Reliable Talent
6d4

12th
+4
6d4

13th
+5
Archetype Feature
7d4

14th
+5
Evasion
7d4

15th
+5
Slippery Mind
8d4

16th
+5
8d4

17th
+6
Archetype Feature
9d4

18th
+6
Overbearing
9d4

19th
+6
10d4

20th
+6
Kneecapper
10d4

Thuggish Blows-At level one, your weapons, while crude, strike with great force. Once per turn, when you make an attack with a simple or improvised melee weapon that either has advantage, or has no disadvantage and a combat-worthy ally adjacent to the target, you deal an extra 1d4 points of damage. This increases by one die at third level and every two levels thereafter, to a max of 10d4.

Thuggish Blows made with a two-handed weapon deal one extra point of damage per die.

Expertise-At levels one and six, you gain Expertise in any two skills or tools you are already proficient in.

Thieves' Cant-At level one, you learn Thieves' Cant.

Quick Action-At level two, you learn to move swiftly and effectively. You may Dash, Disengage, or make a single grapple or shove attempt as a bonus action.

Enforcer's Archetype-At level three, you must choose to be a Bodyguard or a Bar Brawler.

Ability Score Improvement-Usual levels plus level ten, usual deal.

Extra Attack-Level five, usual deal.

Uncanny Dodge-At level seven, you may, as a reaction, halve the damage from any attack made against you, so long as you can see the source.

Reliable Talent-At level eleven, you are a master of your chosen skills. Whenever you make an ability check that adds your proficiency bonus, you may treat any roll of 9 or less on the d20 as a 10 instead.

Evasion-At level fourteen, you are exceedingly hard to pin down and damage. Whenever you are subjected to a a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, you take half damage on a failure and none on a success.

Slippery Mind-At level fifteen, you gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws.

Overbearing-At level eighteen, you gain advantage on attack rolls against anyone who you have grappled.

Kneecapper-At level twenty, you may cap your opponents at the knees with style and grace. As an action, make a single attack against a foe, dealing normal damage plus your Thuggish Blows damage. If you hit, they must make a Constitution saving throw against DC 8+your proficiency modifier+your Strength modifier. On a failure, they are Slowed (as per the spell, but with a Constitution save to end the effect) for one minute, with no Concentration required by you. On a success, their move speed is halved until the start of your next turn.

Bodyguard

Protective-At level three, you gain proficiency in shields and the Protection Fighting Style.

Quick Thinking-At level nine, you may use the Protection Fighting Style without expending your reaction.

Overprotective-At level thirteen, you may use the Protection Fighting Style to redirect an attack to target you instead.

Supreme Protection-At level seventeen, you may, as a reaction, reduce an attack against an adjacent ally to zero damage.

Bar Brawler

Grappler-At level three, you may treat yourself as being one size larger for the purposes of a grapple, both in who you can grapple and whether your speed is reduced.

Imbued Chair Legs-At level nine, any weapon you use is treated as being magical, including improvised weapons.

Haymaker-At level nine, you may treat unarmed strikes as two-handed attacks.

Better Grappler-At level thirteen, you may treat yourself as being two sizes larger for the purposes of a grapple. (Yes, this means you can grapple someone your size and not be slowed.)

You Are My Weapon!-At level seventeen, you may use a grappled creature as a weapon. They are treated as a two-handed improvised weapon that deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage. Any damage dealt using this creature is dealt to both the target and the weapon.

Lalliman
2018-08-19, 07:48 AM
I love it.

Only one problem: Thuggish Blows doesn't have a once per round restriction. Surely that isn't intentional, on a class that gets Extra Attack and can dual wield.

JNAProductions
2018-08-19, 08:56 AM
I love it.

Only one problem: Thuggish Blows doesn't have a once per round restriction. Surely that isn't intentional, on a class that gets Extra Attack and can dual wield.

Fixed. That was not intended, so thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: Made some minor archetype changes.

Edit II: Removed Mettle, too.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-19, 02:17 PM
Loved this class!

One question, isn't Haymaker lacking a bit of support? Default damage is still 1+strength right?

JNAProductions
2018-08-19, 02:33 PM
Loved this class!

One question, isn't Haymaker lacking a bit of support? Default damage is still 1+strength right?

That is true, but it nets you the +1 damage per die of Thuggish Blows.

The main purpose of adding that is to let Bar Brawler grapple two folks, one in each hand, and still net the 1d4+1 per two levels instead of just 1d4.

So, at level nine, if you grapple someone and use a quarterstaff with a strength of 20, you deal 1d6+5d4+5, or 21 damage on average.
If you use Haymaker, you deal 1+5d4+5+5, or 23.5.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-20, 05:08 AM
Cool! Thanks for the explanation!

JNAProductions
2018-08-22, 12:25 AM
Replaced Beatdown with Kneecapper.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-23, 12:12 PM
Greetings,

Kneecaper is certainly more balanced and interesting ability. It's actually so cool that I kind of wished it wasn't a capstone.

Nice to see you are still interested in this project, I personally think it's some of your best content.

Cheers!

JNAProductions
2019-05-10, 10:06 PM
Poking this thread for more feedback, since I might be using it in a game soon.

Composer99
2019-05-11, 08:04 AM
I appreciate how you've managed to take a concept that might just as easily be represented as via multiclassing, or by a "rogue-like" fighter archetype or "fighter-like" rogue archetype, and expanded it into a full class with its own subclasses.

Overall, this is a solid class.

A few things to think about:

Thuggish Blows
I wonder if the damage for this feature scales up a little too quickly. For instance, if you are using a two-handed weapon, the average damage is the same as Sneak Attack. That might be what was intended, and that's fine, but it might be worth a second glance.

Bar Brawler Archetype
This is a solid subclass overall, with lots of benefits - you get better at unarmed strikes, at using improvised weapons, and at grappling. Also, swinging around an orc as a weapon sounds really fun.

I do wonder if maybe Haymaker could be re-worded slightly. Maybe it's just because I'm sleepy and a bit hungover this morning, but I'm having a little trouble parsing out its benefits. If you're intending on being able to benefit from, say, GWF fighting style or GWM feat, I'm not sure this feature does the job, because GWF states that weapons need to have either the two-handed or versatile property for you to benefit from them, and if memory serves (I'm AFB right now), GWM's -5/+10 benefit requires that a weapon has the heavy property.

Bodyguard
By contrast, this subclass is kind of boring. All it does is get better at using the Protection fighting style.

I think it could stand to use a feature that lets it reposition other creatures, friend or foe, along with some sort of retributive strike feature.

Also, at 9th level, it might be a bit much just removing the reaction cost of Protection. Either some per-round usage limit, or the fighting style still uses your reaction, but you regain it once per round after using Protection, would be good.

JNAProductions
2019-05-11, 11:19 AM
On phone, so can’t explain it all.

But haymaker basically lets you get the 1d4+1 damage with thuggish blows with unarmed strikes. Could alsocombo with GWF, but not GWM-they are not Heavy weapons.

Hypersmith
2019-05-20, 08:11 PM
Very rogue like - get most of the defining classic rogue features in a different order, while maintaining more profiencies, tankiness, and a nerf to single target damage - but you get extra attack as a tradeoff. I'm sure the intention is to be similar to a rogue/fighter, but I wonder if it could be better presented as a rogue subclass, since it leans so heavily on rogue features to define itself.

JNAProductions
2020-03-18, 01:13 PM
Re-opening Enforcer for critique. I still have a fondness for this, and I wonder if time has opened anyone's eyes to ways to improve this class.

Draz74
2020-03-18, 01:47 PM
You can probably reverse-engineer my opinions just by locating where the class is the same as or different from my Ruffian ... :smallwink:

Draz74
2020-03-18, 02:28 PM
I could rename my class, though, and make Ruffian a Bully-based subclass, where the other subclasses are much like yours ...