PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bard-Outside-Bard

RaiKirah
2018-08-18, 02:38 PM
I have been thinking about this build for quite a while and recently decided that there was never going to be a chance to utilize it in an Iron Chef Optimization Challenge (and I don’t trust myself with building NPCs for the Villainous Challenge), so I sat down to get it out of my head. I am hoping to get some feedback and help polishing this build. But first, some context:

This build, which I’ve dubbed Bard-Outside-Bard, comes from a fusion of two components that have intrigued me for a long time: Bard Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration optimization, and the Wu Jen spell Body Outside Body.

I’ll walk through some details of IC/DFI optimization later in the build, but the relevant fact is that I believe I have blown the previous benchmarks for bonuses out of the water.

I first came across Body Outside Body when reading through old ICOC competitions and making my own builds, specifically the Master of Masks competition. I was looking for ways to make copies of ‘me’ that could benefit from the Persona Masks and Body Outside Body stuck with me (couldn’t make it work with the Master of Mask’s 4/10 casting progression though). This spell has a fair amount of discussion out there, including a feature in LordofProcrastination’s Dirty Tricks compilation. This particular use, however, appears to be new from what I can find.

Without further ado, here’s the build. Write up follows.

TLDR: DMM: Persist + Body Outside Body + Chameleon + Draconic Heritage + Dragonfire Inspiration = +58d6 DFI damage.

Bard-Outside-Bard, or The Elemental Choir

Race: Human, Mulan
Alignment: Any Good

Ability Scores (32 Point Buy):
Str: 8
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 16 +5 inherent

Stub:
Cloistered Cleric 1/Bard 7/Chameleon 2/Sublime Chord 2/Geomancer* 2/Wyrm Wizard 2/Geomancer* +4

*Any full casting progression class that can be met without additional feats can be used for these levels. I’m partial to Geomancer, but Paragnostic Disciple and Sacred Exorcist also fit the bill among others. If we’re adding flaws then there are many more options, probably the best of which is to pick up Melodic Casting and swap out Bard 6/7 for Lyric Thaumaturge, which can then also advance Sublime Chord.

Domains: Creation, Knowledge, Planning

Feat Distribution:
1: Dragontouched
H: Able Learner
B1: Extended Spell (Planning Domain Granted Power)
B2: Knowledge Devotion (Trade Knowledge Domain for Devotion Feat)
3: Dragonfire Inspiration
6: Southern Magician
B7: Song of the Heart (Swap Suggestion as per Music of Creation ACF from ECS)
9: Persistent Spell
12: Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
15: Words of Creation
18: Arcane Disciple (Competition Domain)

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Cloistered Cleric 1
+0
+2
+0
+2
Bluff 2, Disguise 2, Know. (arcana) 4, Know. (nature) 4, Know. (religion) 4, Listen 2, Perform (wind instruments) 2, Profession (astrologer 4), Sense Motive 2, Spellcraft 4, Unspent: 10
Dragontouched, Able Learner (H), Extended Spell (B)
Lore, Domains (Creation, Knowledge, Planning), Cloistered Cleric ACF

2nd
Bard 1
+0
+2
+2
+4
Bluff 3(1) , Disguise 3(1) , Know. (arcana) 5(1), Know. (nature) 5(1), Listen 3(1), Perform (wind) 3(1), Profession (astrologer) 5(1), Sense Motive 4(2), Spellcraft 5(1)
Knowledge Devotion (B)
Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1

3rd
Bard 2
+1
+2
+3
+5
Bluff 4(1), Disguise 4(1), Know. (arcana) 6(1), Know. (nature) 6(1), Listen 5(2), Perform (wind) 5(2), Profession (astrologer) 6(1), Spellcraft 6(1)
Dragonfire Inspiration
-

4th
Bard 3
+2
+3
+3
+5
Bluff 6(2), Disguise 6(2), Know. (arcana) 7(1), Listen 7(2), Perform (wind) 7(2), Spellcraft 7(1)
-
Inspire Competence

5th
Bard 4
+3
+3
+4
+6
Bluff 8(2), Disguise 8(2). Know. (arcana) 8(1), Listen 8(1), Perform (wind) 8(1), Spellcraft 8(1), Unspent: 2
-
-

6th
Bard 5
+3
+3
+4
+6
Know. (arcana) 9(1), Listen 9(1), Perform (wind) 9(1), Unspent: 7
Southern Magician
-

7th
Bard 6
+4
+4
+5
+7
Know. (arcana) 10(1), Listen 10(1), Perform (wind) 10(1), Unspent: 7
Song of the Heart (B)
Suggestion --> Song of the Heart (Music of Creation ACF)

8th
Bard 7
+5
+4
+6
+8
Know. (arcana) 11(1), Listen 11(1), Perform (wind) 11(1), Unspent: 7
-
-

9th
Chameleon 1
+5
+4
+6
+8
Know. (arcana) 12(1), Listen 12(1), Perform (wind) 12(1), Unspent: 5
Persistent Spell
Aptitude Focus 1/day (+2)

10th
Chameleon 2
+6
+4
+6
+8
Know. (arcana) 13(1), Listen 13(1), Perform (wind) 13(1), Unspent: 5
-
Bonus Feat

11th
Sublime Chord 1
+6
+4
+6
+10
Perform (wind) 14(1), Unspent: 7
-
Bardic Lore, Bardic Music

12th
Sublime Chord 2
+7
+4
+6
+11
Perform (wind) 15(1), Unspent: 7
Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
Song of Arcane Power

13th
Geomancer 1
+7
+6
+6
+13
Perform (wind) 16(1), Unspent: 7
-
Drift 1, Spell Versatility 0, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

14th
Geomancer 2
+8
+7
+6
+14
Perform (wind) 17(1), Unspent: 7
-
Drift 1, Ley Lines +1, Spell Versatility 1, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

15th
Wyrm Wizard 1
+8
+7
+6
+16
Unspent: 8
Words of Creation
Knowledge of the Wyrm, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

16th
Wyrm Wizard 2
+9
+7
+6
+17
-
Spell Research (Body Outside Body)

17th
Geomancer 3
+10
+7
+7
+17
-
Drift 2, Spell Versatility 2, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

18th
Geomancer 4
+11
+8
+7
+18
Arcane Disciple (War/Competition)
Drift 2, Spell Versatility 3, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

19th
Geomancer 5
+11
+8
+7
+18
-
Drift 3, Spell Versatility 4, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

20th
Geomancer 6
+12
+9
+8
+19
-
Drift 3, Spell Versatility 5, +1 Spellcasting (Sublime Chord)

So what’s going on here? Up through level 15 we’re a pretty standard Sublime Chord build with a Chameleon dip. This isn’t what we’re here for, so I’m not going to discuss this. Go look up a Bard Handbook if you’re interested in how this plays. I am however going to take this moment to discuss IC/DFI optimization in the context of this build. So far we’ve almost been keeping up with a dedicated IC/DFI optimization build, only missing out on +2 from Bard levels (Bard 15 with a Vest of Legends has effective Bard level 20 for +4 to IC, we have Bard 7 with a Vest of Legends for an effective bard level 12 for +2 to IC). In total we have:

+2 (Bard Levels) +1 (Song of the Heart) +1 (Inspirational Boost) +1 (Badge of Valor) +1 (Masterwork Horn, Natural or Drums) = +6
Words of Creation turns this into either +8, +9, +11, or +12 depending on how you interpret it.

If we use our Chameleon Floating feat for Empower Supernatural Ability we can give a DFI bonus of +12d6 to +18d6 depending on WoC interpretation. We will refer to this shortly.

At level 16 we get to the entire point of this build: Wyrm Wizard’s second level gives us Spell Research, which we use to pick up Body Outside Body. Body Outside Body is Persistable. Southern Magician allows us to cast it as a Divine Spell to which we can apply Divine Metamagic. Persist lasts 24 hours, so we’ll choose to persist Body Outside Body right before we go to bed, so that when we (and our copies) wake up we can spend an hour concentrating to reassign our Chameleon floating feat. The PC will again likely choose Empower Supernatural Ability, but the copies will all be taking Draconic Heritage to get access to different energy types for their Dragonfire Inspiration.

We can cast Body Outside Body at Caster Level 25 (12 spellcasting levels, +4 Song of Power, +4 Bead of Karma, +2 Eternal Wand of Hymn of Praise, +1 Eternal Wand of Adept Spirit, +1 Eternal Wand of Create Magic Tattoo, +1 Creation Domain) for 5 copies. Now, the copies can’t cast spells or use spell trigger or spell completion items, so they can’t benefit from Inspirational Boost, but all the other IC/DFI boosts apply. If 6 Vests of Legend are too expensive, give them all Masterwork Lutes for +1 Bard effective level to get the +2 base IC bonus (slightly suspect, since it’s unclear if you can benefit from two instruments at the same time, so might not be able to get the +1 IC bonus from Masterwork Horn, Natural or Drum).

So, let’s count this up:

Five copies allows us to get enough Draconic Heritages to change damage type to cover all of the elements (Fire, Electricity, Cold, Acid, Sonic) as well as a regular Inspire Courage if we include the PC. Thus, assuming Vests of Legend all around, we end up with:

+12d6 to +18d6 fire damage (PC, see above)
4*(+7d6 to +10d6 dependent on WoC interpretation) = +28d6 to +40d6 mixed electricity, acid, cold, and sonic damage
+7 to +10 dependent on WoC interpretation to hit and damage (Inspire Courage)

Minimum IC/DFI bonus: +7 to hit, +40d6+7 to damage
Maximum IC/DFI bonus: +10 to hit, +58d6+10 to damage

Note: If we’re willing to spend 35K on a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quicken we can use the Bard Spell Harmony in place of Inspirational Boost for +2 IC, which brings us to +7 IC. Applying WoC that’s either +9, +10, +13, or +14. So, with Empower Supernatural Ability that’s +13d6 to + 21d6. In which case we have:

Minimim IC/DFI bonus: +7 to hit, +41d6 to damage
Maximum IC/DFI bonus: +10 to hit, +61d6 to damage

The rest of the build gets us to casting 9ths at lvl 19, and if we pick up Arcane Disciple (Competition) we can turn our Bard into a fighter by persisting Divine Power and buying some Slippers of Battledancing. The Geometer Drift also gives some natural weapons to utilize as well. If we also grab Gloves of the Balanced Hand and a wand of Heroics for TWF we can dish out a lot of damage, though we do lack a method to move and full attack without using spell slots and/or items.

Notes on Required Items:
To unambiguously pull this trick off at level 16 we need the following gear:

Bard Kit-Out x6 = 103,800gp

Masterwork Horn, Natural: 100gp
Badge of Valor: 1,200gp
Vest of Legends: 16,000gp

Total = 17,300gp

Caster Level Bonuses = 39,740gp

Strand of Prayer Beads (Karma) = 0gp, 9,000gp, 16,800gp, 20,000gp, or 25,800gp (the pricing rules for this item make no sense. We’ll go with 20,000gp since that’s apparently how much you reduce the price of a string without one)
Eternal Wand of Hymn of Praise = 10,900gp
Eternal Wand of Adept Spirit = 4,420gp
Eternal Wand of Create Magic Tattoo = 4,420gp

Total Cost = 143,540gp or 55.2% of WBL

And there we have it. Everything not explicitly called out (Spells, some Skills, Equipment, etc.) can be modified to fit the player’s preference. Note that skills are only assigned up to meeting prerequisites and then not tracked. All feedback welcome, and any help improving upon it would be appreciated as well, though non ICOC compliant suggestions will be incorporated into a separate version of the build.

It’s worth noting that you can make this work without DMM: Persist if it leaves a nasty taste in your mouth, although that requires using a setting specific PrC and two Flaws, which hurts my ICOC sensibilities. Build stub for that would be:

Feat Rogue 1/Bard 7/Chameleon 2/Sublime Chord 2/Spellguard of Silverymoon 2/Wyrm Wizard 2/Spelldancer 1/Spellguard of Silverymoon +3

Feat Distribution:
1: Dragontouched
H: Able Learner
B1: Dodge (Feat Rogue ACF from UA)
F1: Mobility
F2: Combat Casting
3: Dragonfire Inspiration
6: Endurance
7B: Song of the Heart (Swap Suggestion as per Music of Creation in ECS)
9: Arcane Preparation
10B: Draconic Heritage/Empower Supernatural Ability/other (Floating Feat from Chameleon)
12: Extend Spell
14B: Persistent Spell (Spellguard of Silverymoon level 2)
15: Words of Creation
18: Arcane Disciple (War or Competition so as to get Divine Power)