PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kallimakus
2018-08-18, 04:08 PM
Citadel Rivad is, in many ways, the archetypal Hellknight citadel, or at least the first one. It's battlements and towers climb the side of a rock spire called Scepter, cast in an ominous shadow. The innermost, jagged structures host the garrisons and armouries of the order, while successive outer works serve as additional bulwark. The walls are blackened by decades worth of smoke from Clarity Pyres of the Hellknights of Rack.

A summons has been issued. A day that has begun with familiar routine of endless practice takes an unexpected turn. To be given personal summons by the Master of Blades himself is not often a good sign. A few of Azrael's peers exchange knowing looks, saying nothing, lest they be reprimanded or punished.

You have not oft spoken to Kassir Voidai, the second in command of your order, but initial impression is of a harsh, disciplined man, Unwavering in both ability and loyalty, and bereft of any tolerance for flaw or dissent.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-18, 04:17 PM
Azrael Wrynne, a human warrior that has been scarred by years of service to the hellknight orders, steps dutifully into Kassir Voidai's office. He has no delusions about what this might be. Likely he has been found lacking, or somewhat weak, for his connection with the Nine Hells. The knight takes off his helmet, revealing the soulless gaze beneath. His eyes are dull and empty, as his soul had long ago left his body and is now ensnared deeply within the grasp of a devil.

"To what do I owe the honor, Master?" he asks, watching the man for any sudden signs. He prepares himself for the worst, and keeps one hand ready on his shield just in case.

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 02:25 AM
"You have been selected as a suitable candidate for a special mission. Your past has been spotty, but during your time here I have observed nothing but commitment from you." he says, his voice level as he delivers what is open praise. "But you have failed to convince your peers. You consort with Devils, servants. For that, you must go to greater lengths than others to prove that you are committed to Law, and not Hell." he says, before calling out "You may enter"

Another Hellknight enters. He is not of your order. Wearing black leather sculpted in the style of Hellknight plate, along with crimson robes and hood. His face is covered by a silver mask with a vortex pattern. You don't see eyeholes, leaving the man's face hidden. A similar pattern repeats across his robes and armor. "I am Khalopsis, of the Order of the Gate" he says, with a small bow.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 02:30 AM
Azrael takes the criticism in silence. Obviously he is committed to Cheliax, not to Law or Hell, but he keeps that to himself.

When the stranger enters, Azrael regards him with a slight nod. "The Order of the Gate, you say? . . .Hm. My name is Azrael Wrynne. Armiger and proud warrior of the Order of the Rack."

He turns his attention back to the Master of Blades. "What is this mission that I am so suitable for, anyway?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 02:54 AM
"A pleasure" he says. "And if I may explain that?"
The master of blades nods curtly.
"I have had a recurring vision for some time. Through meditation and research, I have managed to glean some meaning of it. Something has been unearthed, or will be soon. Legacy of the old Jistkan Empire. I have been given the task of locating it and assessing its worth. Should it prove of value, I am to secure it for the order of the Gate to study and turn to our advantage. The ruins are near Westcrown.

"This is so. And you, Azrael, exemplify loyalty, and have experience working with the other orders." Kassir says. "Now Khalopsis, I have another matter to discuss with Azrael, and I need you to leave us."
"But..."
"It was not a request" the Master of Blades says, his voice authoritarian, his tone carrying the message that this is the end of any discussion. Khalopsis bows stiffly and walks away, closing the door behind him. You are again left alone with the Master of Blades.

"There is another part to this mission. The order of the Gate hoard dangerous knowledge. Should you judge whatever you may find to be a threat to the order of the Law and Cheliax, you are to destroy it. No matter the potential benefits."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 02:58 AM
Azrael raises an eyebrow at his brother's claim. An interesting development...he would need to follow up on that.

But just like that, the man is dismissed and Kassir gives a new order. Azrael salutes. "Of course, serah. Nothing that could be a threat will be permitted to leave this city."

He excuses himself and walks out into the hall, looking for the masked knight again.

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 09:22 AM
He awaits you stepping back from the door, dusting his pristine robes. "Do you have any gear you need to pick up?" he asks. He sounds young, behind the mask. "I've been looking forward to this."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 09:34 AM
Azrael nods and picks up all of his gear, preparing for some light traveling.

Once he's done and ready to go, he looks at Khalopsis. "What exactly are we looking for, anyway?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 10:40 AM
He turns his head about, making sure you are not being listened to. "Well, that's a bit harder to say. The visions are not clear-cut. There are levels of allegory and metaphor, subject to interpretation. To me, it has come as a crown. But it is unlikely to be one physically. It could represent power, or rulership, or even wealth. But I am fairly certain that what has been unearthed is 'power'. Greater details will probably slot into place as we get closer." he explains

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 12:56 PM
Azrael worries for a moment that this man might be barking mad. But he decides that if that were the case, Kassir wouldn't have bothered calling him

"Very well. Stick close. The Westcrown streets are dangerous and unpredictable."

He draws his sword, raises his shield, and exits the citadel with Khalopsis I tow.

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 01:59 PM
"It's not really in Westcrown, though I appreciate the warning in case we need to head that way." Khalopsis says. "The site is about a day's journey from here, assuming we keep a good pace. I've heard that these lands were less than tame, so I'm glad that there's some brawn to my brains." he says.

You descend through the layered defences of Citadel Rivad. Khalopsis picks up his own gear at the outer bulwark, where he had to leave them. After that, Khalopsis directs you due South. He looks at disgust at the Clarity Pyres dotting the roadside. Most are little more than ornate seats for pyres, but a few closest to the Citadel are always kept burning, housing magical, noxious flames that burn magic.

You take the road to Westcrown, due East, to start with and turn South on a smaller footpath. The terrain changes to hills, and as the day changes to evening, he suggests you make camp. For the day, nothing seems to have disturbed you. The hill-lands are supposed to be dangerous, from the words of other Armigers, Hellknights and your own experiences. There is something off.

"I'm fairly certain that we are in the right region. Tomorrow, we will need height, and daylight. We will be able to find the place we're looking for. I'm sure"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 03:38 PM
The armored knight nods and gestures to a safe area for the signifier to make camp. Keeping his weapons and armor at the ready, he walks away and begins looking around.

Perception [roll0]

Detect good

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 04:08 PM
You find no threats in the vicinity, in itself unusual. You need to rest, but know that your armour is going to hinder the rest. Whether it is best to not leave your guard down or to make sure that you are as ready as possible to face challenges tomorrow is up to you.

Khalopsis lets out his familiar, a small black viper, previously carried in his bag. He conjures up a cooking fire to warm up his rations. Peculiarly, he seems uneasy to be seen without the mask, turning around to eat. The food he has is bland, tasteless but filling, a typical Hellknight iron ration.

He has a medium tent, large enough to fit both of you should you choose. With the sun just sinking beneath the horizon, he seems content to simply sleep, letting his familiar handle the duties of a sentry.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-19, 09:42 PM
Azrael hesitates, thinking this may be a bad idea, but he needs to be able to run tomorrow if necessary.

He strips his armor off entirely and lays down to get a proper rest for the night.

Kallimakus
2018-08-19, 11:47 PM
Khalopsis sleeps in his armour. He removes the crimson robes and cloak from over it, folding it neatly to the side with his spellbook and other equipment. He is not as slender as one might expect of a wizard. Then again, he is a Hellknight, and that means that he has gone through the same basic physical excercises as all other aspirants before being accepted to the order at all. Along with his armor, he wears his mask, though the lack of hood reveals a close-cropped brown hair. His hands are tattooed with symbols, their placement probably meaningful. Their pattern seems incomplete, gaps where you might expect further symbols.

The night passes uneventfully. Khalopsis begins his day with his grimoire, turning the pages and performing mental exercises, selecting his complement of spells for the day. It is a lengthy progress, going through complicated-looking pages with illustrations and diagrams, annotated with language you don't recognize. The alphabet looks Infernal, but the words are nonsense. After an hour, he closes his book and locks it down, attaching it to a chain on his waist with another lock. His familiar has found a freshwater spring nearby, allowing you to refill your water supplies.

The eerie atmosphere continues. You see no creatures. The wind blows, but you do not hear insects buzzing around, nor see any birds in the sky.
"This is getting me a bit nervous. I'm getting odd feedback from Little Bitey." Khalopsis says. He thinks what you're looking for is further South, at the coast.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 12:50 AM
In the morning, Azrael rises as he usually does, well before dawn. He takes a quick look around the area, and rehydrates before setting about his morning routine. Stripping down to his shorts, he gets started with twenty push-ups, followed by thirty sit-ups and a quick mile run. After that, Azrael sets up a small shrine to Abrogail, as he always does, and kneels before it.

"Oh Her Imperial Magestrix, the blessing that these filthy peasants do not deserve, I pray for nothing but the longest, fullest life for you and your people. Please continue to guide me, each day, as I sink my blade into the unworthy flesh of your enemies. Give me the strength to cull the meek and weed out the worthless, so that those who bask in the glory of your amazing reign are truly those who have earned a place at your perfect feet."

With that done, Azrael stands up and gets suited up for the day. He dresses in his massive full plate with a heavy iron helmet covering his face and eyes as he begins his search for this strange crown.

Rolling his eyes at the man's choice of familiar name, Azrael is nonetheless confused by the seeming lack of life in the area. He keeps a cautious eye out as he proceeds towards the south.

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 01:26 PM
You move out. Khalopsis has packed the campsite and loaded himself again. You move along accompanied only by the sounds of your footsteps. Soon enough, you start smelling the spray from the coast and hearing the sound of water crashing against cliffs. Going with the rest of the lifelessness, the grass and plantlife appears to have withered away. There is a hill crest ahead, and there is a smell of decay from ahead.

Up ahead, you hear voices. They speak common, but with the sound of the waves and the distance, it's hard to make sense of them.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 01:45 PM
This is bad...

"Is it possible that someone other than you has been having these visions?" Azrael asks Khalopsis.

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 01:55 PM
"Impossible" Khalopsis says. "That said, it is possible that my visions be related to this being discovered by someone else. The visions seemed to signify that this "crown" would be unearthed. Not necessarily by me. That said, I cannot yet tell what it even is."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 02:01 PM
Azrael frowns and prepares himself. He raises his longsword and tower shield and moves up towards the hill to get a better look.

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 02:23 PM
You reach the point where you can see over the crest of the hill. What you see looks like a campsite. More precisely, it looks loike the remains of a campsite. There are dead bodies, blood, flattened tents scattered about, but that is not what draws attention. There is a large carcass at the centre of the camp. Larger than a horse, winged and leonine in appearance, with a wicked tail. A few survivors are talking to a man dressed in plain but finely tailored clothes. The discussion seems to be about the loss of life the night before, probably related to the monster.

The camp is in a cove, and it would be a hard descent from your location to the shore level. Indeed, the geography makes the place quite difficult to spot from anywhere but directly above. The view to the sea is largely blocked by a heavily weathered rock spire. There is a rowboat being rocked by the tides, fit for ten men, which seems to match the numbers present.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 02:37 PM
The hellknight frowns. Those are some pretty formidable numbers, and they managed to defeat a powerful beast, too. These people are no pushovers...just who are they?

He starts to shift about, trying to get a closer look, and trips and falls, stumbling down into the cove below.

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 02:48 PM
The finely-dressed man seems to sense the magic used by Azrael, and sought to look for him. His job is made easy by the Hellknight tumbling down. He is surprised, as are his cohorts.
"How could they have found us?" he shouts to sky. "Now I have to..." he trails off, looking at the situation again. "You are alone... Ha ha ha..." he laughs, magic gathering at his hand. Fell purplish energy glows around his hand, before shooting away at the manticore corpse. "Keep the Hellknight busy!" he says.

"You lot. in the boat. We are leaving." one of the men says.
"No! We came here for a reason!"
"We can't face a Hellknight"
"Get what we came for. We must have the Pontius!"

It looks like Khalopsis is presently hiding.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 02:54 PM
Azrael's eyes widen as the man starts to use magic on the corpse. Oh no. No, no no!

He slams his shield down and draws his sword across his own neck in a display of violence, terrifying all within range, but then he turns his gaze directly onto the finely-dressed man.

"By the power of Hell itself, I will murder you!" he declares coldly.

Full-round action to Dazzling Display, demoralizing all within 30 feet: [roll0]
Swift action to Intimidate to demoralize the finely-dressed man (if he is shaken by a successful Dazzling Display, he takes a -2 penalty to the DC to demoralize him): [roll1]

As a friendly reminder, any creatures within 10 feet of Azrael take a -4 penalty to their DC to be Intimidated, and Azrael gets a +4 bonus to his Intimidate check if any of them are Small or Smaller.

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 03:13 PM
The manticore body staggers to its feet. The man, the warlock as he was called, steps back, his eyes wide with fear. "I will not tolerate failure!" he screams, the control in his voice faltering. He works his hands through a swift series of gestures. "You have not seen the last of me!" he declares. From the cliff, you hear chanting as Khalopsis straightens, extends his arm and fires a pair of missiles at the warlock, disrupting his concentration and ruining his spell. "Curse you!" he yells, turning tail and running.

The reanimated manticore launches itself at you, jaws wide open.

The men, frightened, seem torn between their fear of you and their master. They rush to their task, pulling aside one of the tents and retrieving a large, reinforced chest. Two of them start carrying it to their boat. The others are making their way that way as well.

Khalopsis' magic missile [roll0]
Manticore bite attack [roll1]
Damage[roll2]

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 03:28 PM
Azrael charges to attack one of the men carrying the chest.

Power Attack: [roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 11:05 PM
The warlock rallies at the far side of the grove, shaking off his fear of the Hellknight. "Protect it with your lives!" he screams, mustering his energy for another spell.

Azrael slays one of the chest-bearersin a single blow. Contrary to their master's instruction, the other man drops the chest and begs for mercy.

The Manticore zombie charges again.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 11:22 PM
Azrael nods. "You wish for mercy? You shall have it. Flee, run to your boat and start rowing. Do not appear before me again!"

The monster's attacks clang uselessly against Azrael's tower shield, and the man swings forward with a normal attack to try and crush it.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

Kallimakus
2018-08-20, 11:43 PM
You hack away at the manticore, chopping away at the dead flesh to little appreciable effect. Khalopsis rushes down the slope, wielding a flanged mace, his aim set for the chest. He can't quite reach it this round.

The warlock approaches the chest, shouting at his minions and restoring a measure of order among the men. Three are already boarding the boat, but hold off on attempting to flee. Another heads for the chest. A swift reminder about the "merciful" nature of Hellknights prompts the last man to swallow and grab the chest once more.

The manticore shifts its place a little, attempting to pose itself so as to limit Azrael's access to the chest, guided by the will of its master.

Full Attack from the manticore
Bite [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Claw [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4] Damage [roll5]
Warlock concentration [roll6] plus undisclosed, if needed

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-20, 11:58 PM
Azrael's hand moves faster than lightning, deflecting all incoming attacks with ease with his enormous shield.

He doesn't have much of a way to stop the rest of the group from taking the chest, though. So he tries to kill one of the men handling the chest again.

[roll2]/[roll3]

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 12:44 AM
As Azrael brings his weapon down on the man, he cringes in panic, closing his eyes. There is a clang, an impact jolting along the Hellknight's arm as his strike is stopped by a transparent barrier. His weapon pierces the barrier, but fails to impact on the man. There are cracks and rents in what looks like solid air.
"Hurry, fools! This barrier will not hold him for long."
"It will not hold him at all! Just go around!" Khalopsis shouts, mustering his power, his fists sheathed in flame. He moves to the far side of the barrier and throws his hands forward, launching the flames at the Warlock
The manticore is trapped there with you. It is going to keep attacking. A living being would have grown frustrated by now.

The barrier only extends 30 feet towards the coast, leaving a 10-ft area without a barrier by the rocky shore.

Bite [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Claw [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4] Damage [roll5]
Khalopsis: [roll6] Forbidden Lore, Damage [roll7] x 1,5

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 12:51 AM
Grimacing, Azrael looks at the barrier. He recalls the words Cherry spoke to him. If he dies here, that's it. His soul belongs to her. Nothing will ever allow him to return to this world.

He's...he's not done yet. There are things that must be done. Things that only he can do. For now, he needs to live on.

Azrael moves towards the edge of the barrier, drawing a potion as he walks. He pours it down his throat.

Moving 20' towards the shore, drawing and drinking a cure light wounds potion for [roll0] healing.

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 01:15 AM
The warlock screams very briefly, collapsing to the ground where his body burns.
The manticore rears on its hind paws, claws extended and ready to lay a world of hurt on the Hellknight before it as the lights in its eyes go out. It collapses like a puppet with its strings cut.
"Not done yet!" Khalopsis shouts, mustering his fire and tossing it at the boat and the people in it. The blast doesn't hit the people but smashes a hole on the waterline and ignites the soggy wood.

[roll0] x1,5

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 01:34 AM
Azrael rounds the corner angrily. "Fools! If you keep going, you'll drown! Return to shore and surrender the chest to us, and you will all walk away alive!"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 01:51 AM
"Good one" Khalopsis whispers, leaning forward with his hands on his knees. "I need a bit of rest, but I can heal a little."

The men bail from the boat, some managing to leap off the boat and to the shore, others going over the side to the turbulent sea.
"Please have mercy. We..." The spokesperson thinks for a desperate moment, "We haven't broken laws... We just found this place..."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 01:55 AM
Azrael narrows his eyes. "You lot are really starting to piss me off, you know? How many times do I have to tell you I'm going to spare you before you listen to me? You made it to shore, so get lost!" He points a hand over his shoulder.

He waits for the idiots to run away, before turning to the chest. He allows himself one brief moment to feel pain, touching the bleeding area where his chest was mauled by zombie fangs, before he steps forward. He has a job to do, and he's going to do it. Khalopsis is too weak to fight back right now, so he has to act quickly and make sure that if this strange power needs to be destroyed, it will be.

He opens the chest.

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 02:03 AM
The men flee, dropping what little they have, heading East.

The chest is not locked, so it opens easily enough. The inside is cushioned, and in the middle is a weathered box reliquary, gilded exterior still a bit dirty. It looks freshly unearthed and excessively old. It is closed with a latch. There is an acute sensation of being observed.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 02:09 AM
Azrael stares at the box, and the cushion. He shows it to Khalopsis. "What do you think? Can we open it?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 02:12 AM
"Yes. Open me. I mean it" you hear a voice that sounds uncannily like Khalopsis in your head.
"That's why we came here, yes. Be careful. We don't want to damage it."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 02:15 AM
Azrael recoils in surprise and disgust at the box below him. He grimaces. Perhaps it will be nothing...so he shouldn't put up a fight for now. Still...he keeps ready, knowing that if this is some strange power, he will likely need to severely injure Khalopsis before he can destroy it.

He opens the box.

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 02:31 AM
You open the reliquary. The reliquary contains an engraved, glowing crystal. The many facets seem to hold an image of an eye, most focusing on you. There are paintings, old but vibrant and preserved, of a handsome young man in fancy regalia, or in one instance, displaying his sculpted physique.

"Who are you, I wonder?" you hear an inquiry in your head

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 07:53 AM
"My name is Azrael Wrynne," he replies out loud, taking off his helmet so the eyes can see his face. "I am a human warrior, fighting in the name of Law and nation to preserve peace and order."

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 09:18 AM
"Interesting" the voice says. "The values of Jistka yet live."
"I am Khalopsis, of the Gate" the other Hellknight says. "I have foreseen this."
"Well well… That is quite something. I am Pontius. It would seem that I have been gone for some time." You see some of the eyes reflected on the crystal facets wander towards the stone spire and the surrounding. "So little left..."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 09:24 AM
"Jistka? . . .Anyway, Pontius, tell us about yourself. What is it you want?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 09:38 AM
"Yes, Jistka. The Empire that ruled the world." the voice says. "What could I possibly want? My empire is ashes. Its legacy of law and order forgotten. Or not forgotten. I have not precisely been outside my box. But I would like to learn. What has happened in my... absence."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 09:49 AM
For now, it seems...harmless.

Azrael steps to the side and allows Khalopsis to start explaining things to the box.

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 10:34 AM
"It has been nine millenia since the glory days of Jistka Empire." Khalopsis explains. He treads carefully, explaining things here and there, some greater events in history, not mentioning Hellknights or the modern political situation at all. There are some explanations regarding the calendar, since Jistka predates the current calendar that begins with Aroden.

Pontius seems interested in Aroden and the local area. He volunteers information that are already known by people interested in such matters. Cheliax is in the frontier of old Jistka empire. He describes a Jistkan city the location of which matches Westcrown. He hints at some buried secrets in vaults beneath the ancient city. He mentions that, using landmarks, he could probably take you there, for a small price.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 10:35 AM
Azrael frowns. "We didn't come here to get rich...but if those vaults exist anyway, it would be a nuisance if someone else found them."

He sighs. The last thing he needs is for some criminal to trip over a door and suddenly have enough money to start pimping and buying dangerous weapons.

"Fine. Lead the way. Name your price."

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 11:00 AM
"My price is simple." he says, pausing dramatically. "I wish to walk and experience this world. Take me with you."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 01:52 PM
Azrael was planning to do that anyway, so it works out nicely that the crystal "wants" to go with him.

He picks it up and finds a spot to thread some rope through it, settling it around his neck.

Kallimakus
2018-08-21, 03:10 PM
"So we're headed to Westcrown? Looks like I need to be wary of the streets after all." Khalopsis says. "Let me fix up your injuries."

You travel back, but life seems to be returning. If you choose to press on, you could reach either the Citadel or Westcrown by evening. Pontius keeps up some chatter, looking around but eventually grows bored of the sights. He has no real preference for which way to go. Khalopsis believes that it would be wiser to press for Westcrown.

[roll0] healing

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-21, 03:35 PM
Azrael continues on towards Westcrown, heading for his apartment at the Taranik House. He figures he can pull out a bedroll or something for Khalopsis.

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 01:27 AM
You reach the City of Westcrown at sundown. The great lanterns lining the main thoroughfares are lit, flooding the streets with yellowish lights and rendering the black shadows darker. You are allowed past the gates without issue, your armor a telltale sign of being allowed to the city after dark. The streets are filled with people rushing to their homes before night falls and the shadows come out.

Your destination is not along the lit road, however. The Hellknight barracks are not far, but you will not make it before darkness falls.

"So what is with the lights here?" Pontius asks

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 07:25 AM
Azrael sighs in annoyance and draws his weapon. "The shadow beasts are about to come out..."

He opens a few vials and pours them down his throat, to recover fully from his encounter with the zombie.

CLW: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 07:47 AM
"I thought they were a myth?" Khalopsis says, taking his mace from its place on his belt.
"You can percieve them?" Pontius asks. "How interesting. Already I am seeing something new... What do you mean 'about to'?"

Khalopsis, nervous, suggests that you should hurry. He can keep a light up, but it isn't strong.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 07:50 AM
"I can't see them right now, but they appear every night in these streets, like clockwork," Azrael explains, raising his shield now that his hand is free.

"Let's go, Khalopsis. Max speed for both of us. No one is going to get in our way at this hour."

He starts to move at a swift pace towards the barracks.

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 08:15 AM
"I see the shades." Pontius says, his eyes unfocused, or rather looking in many directions. "They are agitated. I have not seen their like. I do not like negativity, but those potions won't help you."

Khalopsis is practically ready to bolt, but he doesn't know where.
"Get us behind a threshold. Soon please."

You rush. When you leave the lit streets, Khalopsis ignites a flame around his arm. Between your pace and the flickering firelight, it is hard to distinquish shadows that don't belong there. At times, you can hear something behind you, or feel breathing at the back of your neck, but that might just be your imagination.

You can see the Taranik House ahead. Flanking the doors, two large Hellknight statues, wrought iron guardians. You know that they block entry for the undeserving. It almost feels that they turn to look at you as you enter.

Inside is warm and lit. You can find your way to your quarters. Khalopsis gets one of the spare cells.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 08:35 AM
Azrael sighs in relief as he walks into the safety of his home. He looks around and nods. "Welcome to the Taranik House, a citadel for the chosen. Generally, only those who have faced a Reckoning may enter through those doors. You are experiencing one of the great secrets of Cheliax right now."

He opens the door and looks around for his slip. "Davira? Davira! Draw a bath at once. While I rest, I want a meal prepared. Where is that lazy girl?"

Azrael sighs in annoyance. Sometimes he wonders if she's even worth the coin to keep her, seeing as she lives on her own when he is out at the Citadel. Truly, she is spared much of the wrath that her brothers and sisters experience at the hands of one who demands full time service.

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 09:00 AM
The small figure of a halfling emerges from behind you, unnoticed. You hear a familiar, high-pitched voice. "...Right behind you!"

"Oh, master! Welcome, welcome. I will do it right away!" she says, smiling and rushing downstairs to draw a bath. You have been away too long. The bathroom is dark, cold and lit with black, cast iron candlesticks. The place features a lot of black and fiendish architecture. "What is that?" she asks, pointing at Pontius.

Khalopsis is not interested, preferring a magical cleansing.

Once you are done, your slave has prepared you what passes for a meal. Bread from the morning, fried meat and eggs. Food to keep you strong. And a lemon to give you a winning smile.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 09:24 AM
Azrael takes off his helmet, exposing his dark eyes, his jet-black hair, and his five-o-clock shadow. Davira sees his face more than any other person in the world, as he only takes his helmet off when he feels the safest.

He relaxes in the bath for a while, easing some of the wounds from earlier and getting all the dirt and sweat caked into him from travel out. After that, he rises and has something to eat, glancing over at the halfling as he does so. "...Davira, you've done something with your hair, haven't you?"

He bought her as a replacement for a wife, after all. So he does show her more attention than another master might. Though he is cruel and angry most of the time, he does his best to make the barracks in Westcrown feel like a genuine home. After all, what point is there to fighting every day if you don't have a happy house to come back to?

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 09:41 AM
"Yup, a little trim and a different style. You like it? And do I see new scars? And a friend? What is he like? Does he ever take off the mask?" she bombards you with answers and questions.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 09:51 AM
Azrael takes a sip of wine and smiles. If it were anyone else, this might annoy him. No, it definitely would annoy him. But with Davira, she had earned the right to act this way, and he was relaxing at home, after all. She was just showing interest in his life. She rarely gets to leave the house.

"He is not my friend, he is my partner. As for the mask, I do not believe he has a reason to remove it."

He closes his eyes and touches his shoulder. A new scar...

"I was in a dangerous place today, Davira. A monster too large and ferocious to come anywhere near the city attacked me. Had it not been weakened by many others before I encountered it, I might not have survived."

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 10:23 AM
She continues with a more serious tone, "That's why people like you are needed. You make the place a lot safer."

Her seriousness is dropped not long later, "Now if you could talk to your boss about these shadow things outside.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 10:30 AM
Azrael sighs in agreement. "I know. The people are getting restless. Everyone is fed up with having to stay indoors constantly. But we don't know what's brought them to Westcrown in the first place, so I have no idea how to get rid of them. Pontius, what do you think?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 11:38 AM
"They are souls. Something has trapped them here. They can't move on. In their rage and madness they prey on the living. That's what I think. We can discover it tomorrow." Pontius speaks to your mind.

"Who is Pontius?" Davira asks.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 12:18 PM
"It's the box around my neck," Azrael explains, showing it to her. He hands it to her.

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 02:06 PM
"Alright" she says, peering at its depths curiously before handing it back.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 02:13 PM
Azrael rests for the night. In the morning, he speaks to Davira.

"We are going somewhere dark and dangerous beneath the city. I may not come back."

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 02:42 PM
She looks worried. "What are you going to do?" she asks. "This is why you came here, isn't it? Should I keep it a secret?

Several other Hellknights lodge in the same place, after all, and news might get out. Not that these full Hellknights would pay much attention.

The Pontius mentioned that he could guide you based on landmarks. And while the city has grown up since his day, the same rivers and hills remain unchanged. He guides you along the river, and then to the hills of the priestly sector, where the largest temples remain. He explains something about lines of power and "the Workshop". After the disasters following Aroden's disappearance, some ruins remain in the sector, small areas preserved as memorials by the nearly extinct cult of Aroden. These are your way in.

"We will need to go down. The Workshop is below, and it is not without it's defences. Ageless guardians, traps and misdirections surround it. Without knowing it is there, you cannot find it. he explains as you descend. Moving through the ruins takes two hands more oftem than not, so you need to keep your shield out of the way sometimes. Khalopsis bears his flaming beacon.

"There are no spirits roaming here. It is odd."
There are, however, sounds of activity, as the underground cellars give way to ancient streets. These are the roots of Westcrown.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 02:48 PM
Azrael sighs and takes off his helmet. He asks Khalopsis for some privacy, and once the man is in the other room, he takes off the intelligent item around his neck and places it inside his bedroom, closing the door. Once he's sure that he and Davira are completely alone, he does something he has never done before. He gets down on one knee, so that he's face to face with her, and places one hand on her shoulder.

"Davira, please. I need you to trust me, okay? Right now...I don't know how safe things are. For you, or for anyone else."

He doesn't say the name out loud in front of her, but he's been worried about recent Bellflower activity, and to be honest he was actually looking for a reason to come back to Westcrown to check on his slave. He's glad that she hasn't been stolen away.

"The secrets I uncover may tell me how to purge the darkness from the streets, or how to strengthen our defenses."

Kallimakus
2018-08-22, 03:01 PM
"Why wouldn't I be safe?" she asks a little nervously before listening to the end. "That's wonderful news. You can count on me."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-22, 03:06 PM
Azrael smiles and stands up, gathering everything together and putting his helmet back on before he heads out.

Once he's passed the cellars, Azrael begins looking around.

"Damnation...to think there was a whole other section of the city buried beneath the surface!"

He continues to follow the Pontius's directions, looking for this...Workshop.

Kallimakus
2018-08-23, 01:17 AM
You traverse the buried ruins. It is like a maze, but you hear sounds from jo ahead. A dog-like shape, though much larger than any dog and shaped from rock and Earth appears. It makes a roar like the grinding of rocks and makes to charge.

[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] charge attack (-2 for regular)
[roll2] damage

[roll3] Khalopsis initiative

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-23, 07:13 AM
Despite Azrael not carrying his shield, his massive armor is enough to protect him from the hound's agitated attack.

Initiative: [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-23, 10:09 AM
Azrael gives a loud shout to surprise the creature before delivering a pounding blow.

Swift demoralize [roll0] (-4 DC from Aura of Cowardice)

Attack [roll1]
[roll2]

Kallimakus
2018-08-23, 11:44 AM
"Burn!" Khalopsis says, launching a fire bolt at the monster, trying not to hit Azrael.
The elemental bites at Azrael's striking arm.

[roll0] Khalopsis flame strike
[roll1] fire bolt
[roll2] Element attack
[roll3] damage

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-23, 11:58 AM
Azrael evades the creature's attack and glares at it again. "Suffer!" he commands, before striking once more.

Swift demoralize, again: [roll0], -4 to the DC from Aura of Cowardice.

If he succeeds, the creature is frightened for the duration, instead of shaken.

Attack: [roll1]
[roll2]

His rage explodes and with his blade clutched in both hands, he sweeps forward in an arc, slicing the earth elemental in two.

Kallimakus
2018-08-23, 11:54 PM
"That was rather impressive. Khalopsis says. "Was that part of the defences you spoke of?*
"I think not? It appeared feral to me."

You push on. You find a worn, wide staircase further underground. At the foot of them, you see a large gate, wrought of metal and engraved with a sigil. A relief carving depicts soldiers, rannalla after rank. It has been broken open from the inside, and you hear a rythmic clanging of metal against metal. Within, you see racks of weapons and armour, untouched by age. Far as your eyes can see in the new space. You hear heavy footfalls on occasion, echoing throughout The space, suggesttion a vast size. There is a glow a few hundred feet ahead.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-23, 11:59 PM
"This must be the Workshop you mentioned...but are there enemies waiting for us inside?" Azrael asks, drawing his shield and raising it properly.

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 01:18 AM
"It seems that something is still working. Be on guard."

As you move deeper, the clanging sounds stop. At the centre of the room is a heated forge. A cooling piece of armor lies on top of an anvil. Several assembled suits of armor are standing around the forge. One of them wears an apron and a belt with smithing tools.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 08:31 AM
Azrael pauses and looks around at the assembled individuals. "Oh wow. Uh, greetings, imperial citizens! I am a guardian from the surface. Fear not, for anyone who can claim to be Chelish, past or present, is safe under my protection."

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 11:24 AM
"What is the meaning of this disturbance?" the aproned one asks, turning its visored head towards the Hellknights. It speaks in slow and deliberate manner, its voice a bass deeper than any you have heard. Inhuman."You speak of fear? I do not fear. And I do not betray my Empire."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 11:29 AM
". . .Something tells me these aren't just duregar," Azrael mutters, frowning.

"What Empire do you speak of, stranger? No one asks you to betray it."

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 12:15 PM
"The Jistka Empire. The one I have served faithfully through the abyss of time."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 12:17 PM
Azrael stares in shock and taps the Pontius. "Sounds to me like Jistka at least has a few more citizens left to it. Ready to see more?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 01:01 PM
"How interesting. Then is my labour at an end?" it asks. "And what is your role in this, guardian of Chelish people of the surface?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 02:25 PM
Azrael steps forward. "My role? I... I came here to find power. I want to eradicate the darkness from the streets above. The people are scared, confined to their houses at night."

Though he sounds selfless, there is a personal interest as well. Once the people are free to come and go as they please after dark, the criminals will start going after them. And then Azrael can step in and snuff them out.

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 03:00 PM
"Power I have. But I have little need to let you wield it"
"I can help with that" Pontius says, joining in. "You may not recognize me, but I am Pontius Glaw. Prince of Jistka."
The armor lowers to its knee with a clatter.
"And indeed, your labour is at an end. It saddens me to say, but Jistka is nothing more than a note on the pages of history. But fear not, my loyal subject, your long labour has not gone to waste. This Cheliax is a worthy heir to our empire. They are a worthy beneficiary of the work you have done. Rise, and name yourself."
It complies, rising. "I was once called Soltarn. Now I take after my creations. I am Ironwrought. Behold the wonders I have wrought." it says, gesturing to the cavernous room. Countless weapons and suits of armour await wearers. Old-fashioned in style, but they look functional enough.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 03:33 PM
A prince? That raises a lot of questions, but here and now aren't the time to ask them. Azrael has to appear unflappable and controlled.

"Soltarn, is this the only area of Jistka that still stands? Show me the rest."

Kallimakus
2018-08-24, 04:18 PM
"Ironwrought, please." it says. "And not much is left. Once the Empire spanned across the great Southern continent, spreading North. Across the Inner Sea. This was to be the heart of our conquest. A workshop to equip our legions and claim this land from savages. No legion ever came. The loabourers went mad and died. Only I remained, to finish my task alone.."

"I can fill in some of the history. During my lifetime, the power of our empire was challenged. A great monster, an invincible beast of chaos, destroyed the heart of our empire and shattered it. In an effort to survive the fall of our empire, I travelled here, but was reduced to this form." Pontius says.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-24, 04:27 PM
Azrael straightens up. "An invincible beast of chaos? . . .Such a monster would be a threat to Cheliax. In fact, it may be the reason for the empire's decline. A beast powerful enough to challenge even Her Imperial Magestrix, and certainly her lowly soldiers. Pontius, does the creature still live?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 03:03 AM
"We certainly did not manage to kill it." Pontius says.
"They did not. It is an ancient monster. Between what they have said and what we know from history, the Jistka empire was destroyed by one of the Spawn of Rovagug. A destroyer of Empires. Certainly it could not defeat our nation. Nor have we seen portents of its coming. This find, however, is a great boon." Khalopsis says. "We are the legacy of the Jistka Empire after all. I would be very interested in learning more of your secrets… More of your history. Perhaps what brought these shadows here to Westcrown?"

"These shadows as you call them are a new development. The first ones I have seen were over sixty years ago. Best I can tell."
"That is decades before they were first spotted on the surface. But how could you survive?"
"They are uninterested in me. They care not for animals or beasts. Only people are the target of their ire."
"Or so you believe"
"I am here."
"With the new timeframe… Did these shades accumulate gradually?"
"Yes. As far as I can tell"
"That means that they are headed towards a critical mass. Not only that, but with the timeframe, there aren't many candidates for this. We can discount the formation of Infernal Cheliax, for it could not cause such a thing, of course, and it is too recent. This happened during the civil war, or right before it..." Khalopsis ponders.
"The disappearance of Aroden. An event of this magnitude, centred on his place of power? It matches many things I have learned."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 05:27 AM
Azrael listens to everything being said and considers what his options are.

"For now, I just want to see more of what is down here. Ironwrought, please show us around. Are there any other Jistka survivors?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 07:29 AM
"None here. Ironwrought says. It seems happy for the opportunity to talk. It takes you for a tour. The gallery of arms, the halls of proving, the place for testing the weapons and armour. He was an armoursmith first and foremost, but each is tested to an exacting standard, so that they can withstand his weapon. A spiked warhammer named 'Forgebreaker'.

The Workshop comprises two floors, and enough gear to equip thousands of warriors. Ironwrought explains that it's material stores ran out long ago, so it cannibalized its inferior creations. At long last, it asks Pontius if he, as a prince, was privy to the 'other' project.

"Yes. But it should not be discussed here. I had hoped to find you in trutv.
"And you have."

Khalopsis, who has been listening intently, now studies the forge itself.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 08:31 AM
Wanting to keep his interest private, Azrael thinks in his mind "Other project?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 09:21 AM
All in good time Pontius sends to you.

Over the ambience of the hot forge, you hear a pair of footsteps. Another light besides the flickering flame of Khalopsis approaches from the entrance.
"This is what we call a nice find" a woman's voice says. After a moment of silence she speaks again, "Yes they found it first. We can just... Oh." she says, stopping as she enters the circle of firelight.
The speaker is a young woman in red robes. The other looks familiar to Azrael, her armour the same as the guardians of Korvosa, the Gray Maidens of Ileosa

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 11:02 AM
Azrael grimaces and draws his sword cautiously. He doesn't raise it, but he holds it at an angle which indicates he isn't afraid to start a fight if need be.

"Looters...so it was good that I decided to come looking for this place after all."

He steps in front of Khalopsis protectively. "I'm going to have to ask you to stand down, Dame. You have no jurisdiction here."

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 11:32 AM
The maiden likewise draws her sword. She, too, doesn't seem intent on starting the aggression. In addition to the silvered Maiden Plate, she wears a black cloak and a large, steel shield. Other than the cloak, she is silver and red.
The other speaks again. "Perhaps you are unaware that a number of Gray Maidens travelled here and swore allegiance to Queen Abrogail? They name themselves Erinyes company. What precisely is not our jurisdiction?" she asks.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 11:38 AM
"Hold your tongue, Varisian wench! There is no crimson throne for you to kneel before here. Abrogail is not a queen, she is an empress, and you will refer to her as Her Imperial Magestrix in my presence."

He sheathes his weapon. "The Erinyes, you say? ...an odd coincidence. Very well. Forgive my earlier aggression. Dame, I will do you the honor of removing my helmet, and I shall ask that you remove yours. We have no need for secrecy in the depths of the earth."

He removed his helmet, slowly.

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 12:24 PM
The young woman takes a step back, hiding behind her armoured companion.

The maiden nods, unfastening her helmet. You had heard stories. That Queen Ileosa, vain and jealous, disfigured and tortured her minions. This was clearly not just a story. Her face retains its beauty from nose up, pale skin and large blue eyes, but lower, it is covered in healed scars. She lifts a mask to cover the lower half of her face and her scars. Her hair, bound and braided, is a light shade of blue.

Azrael knows her at least by reputation. Lyn Penell, one of the top brass of the Maidens. She was in charge of the Old town, and was not there when Queen Ileosa was slain. While the Gray Maidens were rendered anonymous by their wargear, she was a veteran before that. A champion of order.

"Apologies." the first woman says. "Dame Penell has taken an oath of silence after her failure with Queen Ileosa. Until she feels that she has atoned. My name is Emelie."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 12:39 PM
Azrael stares in shock. "Lyn? Lyn...it really is you."

He steps forward and embraces the knight, happy to see her safe after the fires of revolt had claimed Korvosa.

"My name is Azrael," he tells Emelle.

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 01:12 PM
Lyn accepts the hug before pushing you away. She nods, recognizing the name. She makes a few gestures at her companion, but it is Khalopsis that speaks up.

"I did not realize you were from the order of the Nail, Azrael. I didn't catch all of that though. Report the find? Of course we will. Her Infernal Majestrix will certainly have reward enough for us."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 01:52 PM
"That was...a long time ago," Azrael replies slowly. He nods at Lyn. "So, the Gray Maidens have sworn fealty to the empress. That doesn't explain who you are, Emelle, nor why you are here."

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 02:26 PM
"I am her attendant, aide, and interpreter. And more." Emelie says, still standing behind Lyn. I am surprised that you know our sign lamguage sir...
"Khalopsis" the other Hellknight answers. "And I make a point to study the languages of all kinds. Sometimes it is advantageous to be able to communicate quietly.

Pontius reaches out to Azrael. You have warrior women on this age? What I would give for a body...

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 03:22 PM
I think you will find that their toned physique is offset by their neurotic behavior, Azrael answers, before glancing at Emelle.

"That answers my first question. My second: why are you here? What are you doing this far below the surface? How did you know about this location?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 03:42 PM
"We followed you, obviously" Emelie says. "Two Hellknights of different orders? Your loyalty has long been called to question. We were about, that is all."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 03:52 PM
Azrael's eye twitches. "Excuse me? Such an affront to my honor...My loyalty to the state, and to Her Infernal Majestrix, is unshakable! I will never betray Abrogail! My life, and my soul, belong to her!"

His voice is manic, and it shows what a true zealot he is. He pants, and his eyes are wild with disbelief and anger at her mere words. He shouts aggressively and his veins tighten up.

Kallimakus
2018-08-25, 04:05 PM
At Azrael's outburst, Emelie covers behind Lyn, who brings her guard up. "I-i'm sorry" Emelie nearly sobs "I didn't know!"
Lyn glares at both of you in disapproval. While you overreacted, she clearly feels that Emelie overstepped her bounds. She signs again.

Emelie is still covering and trying not to either run off or fight, so it is up to Khalopsis to interpret.
"Something about talking things over... Discussing. Ah. What are we to do with this."
She signs again. "Perhaps you, Azrael, should bear these good news to Egorian?" Lyn nods.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-25, 04:09 PM
Azrael relaxes, and sheathes his weapon properly. "Of course. This information and this gear will prove useful to the empire. Pontius, what shall you do with Ironwrought? Shall he continue building, or do you want him to come with us?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 12:45 AM
"He is free to do as he wishes." Pontius says.
"I would work. New project. Something magnificent. Do you have need of q blacksmith?" he asks Azrael.

The two women share a look. They would have you take the good news to Egorian, while they would begin putting this equipment to good use. There is a secret project that is in need of equipment. They would take Ironwrought, but he would not be accepted due to the sensitive nature of the project.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 07:15 AM
Azrael considers the offer.

"For now, why don't I help you open a shop on the surface of Westcrown? You are uniquely suited to the dangers there, as the shadow beasts will not attack you. Since you have no need of money and only work for the joy of working, you can hand over all your profits to me."

A little extra money in his pocket would always be handy, especially if he could visit and get new equipment crafted for half price. The setup didn't have to be permanent either, just temporary while he goes to Egorian and figures out a better use for Ironwrought.

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 08:00 AM
"Are you sure there will not be... prejudice?" Ironwrought asks. "But Pontius trusts you, so I trust you. One day, you may be deemed trustworthy enough to be told of the other project. As for you girls there..." he says, pointing at the pair, "As long as my creations are put to use, I don't mind who does so. Sort things out amongst yourselves."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 08:07 AM
"You are a living suit of armor with a strong work ethic and pride in your majestic empire, an empire which my nation will inherit and become better for. I'm sure you can handle a few mean comments, and if anyone tries to get physical with you, just kill them."

Azrael shrugs. What kind of weird smith was this, concerned about "prejudice"?

Azrael leads the group to the surface. He spends the rest of the day running around and barking orders. He buys an old store from someone who failed their business, pays a few people to spruce it up and put a new sign on it, buys some metal and materials from traders, and gives Ironwrought everything he needs to construct a new forge in the center.

Now he has an additional source of income, and since he is already paid well for his work as a hellknight and he gets treasure from adventuring, this new source of wealth will simply add to that. He will be a rich man in a matter of months.

With that done, Azrael turns to the two Gray Maidens. "Shall I help you find an inn in town? It will be dark soon. You may want to simply come to my residence with Khalopsis."

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 09:14 AM
Lyn shakes her head. "We have been here for a while" Emelie expands. "So we have a place of stay."

You spend the rest of the day securing the new workshop for Ironwrought. Lyn and Ironwrought bear some of his creations up for display, to showcase his skills. Eventually you'll need to get all of it out anyway, but it belongs to the Empire and is not to be sold for personal profit. Even for a staunch servant of the Empire.

It is not hard to find down a place of business willing to part with their forge for enough money to relocate elsewhere, or live like a lord for years. While it has not seen much work or business, it is hardly beyond repair. It will be a few days of work before the place is entirely ready.

By nightfall, Lyn and Emelie will be heading for their inn at the Gold Sector, not far from Taranik house.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 09:22 AM
Azrael escorts the young ladies to their inn, before returning home with Khalopsis and the Pontius.

When he enters, he slumps into his armchair, exhausted. He gives his partner a wave and thanks him for all the hard work, before dismissing him to his cell.

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 09:33 AM
The ladies thank you for your courtesy. They will be in the Silver Chariot for the foreseeable future. At the Taranik House, chambers have been arranged for Khalopsis, and he heads there to make notes of his discoveries. He lets his familiar roam the house and find some food. Vermin are plentiful in Westcrown.

"So, find a solution for the shades yet?" a voice asks from beside you. Davira seems to have snuck up on you a second time, as is her habit. "Also, need anything?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 09:37 AM
Azrael sighs and shakes his head. "I did not find a solution, yet. But I did find...a lot of power. Power to create and equip the empire with weapons and armor. I found remnants of the old Jistka Empire below the city. For now, I'm not sure what all of this means, but I will be going to speak to the empress about this tomorrow."

He closes his eyes and opens one lazily, looking at the halfling standing behind him. "...And you're coming with me," he adds as an afterthought.

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 09:46 AM
"Are you sure?" she asks. "That's pretty amazing, master. Do you want me to see to preparations?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 09:48 AM
"I'm sure. This is my only chance to make a good first impression on Abrogail. I need to show her that I am a respectable man, with a well-trained slip. A man cannot control his life if he cannot control his house, so the display will show my wealth and discipline."

He narrows his eyes. "You are to be seen, and not heard. Do I make myself clear?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 09:54 AM
"Best behaviour. As you command." she says theatrically. But you know she would never fail you.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 09:58 AM
"Excellent."

He stands up and begins unhooking and unstrapping his various sheets of plate. His breathing is tired and labored as he pulls at the heavy metal and drops it to the ground around him. The process is slow, but he manages to unbuckle everything after a full five minutes of work. Beneath his armor, he is wearing a simple light tunic. "I want you to polish this to perfection before we leave in the morning."

Azrael heads to his room and sits down on the bed.

"Talk," he commands the Pontius. "I'm willing to go along with whatever games you're playing, for the moment, but I refuse to be kept out of the conversation. What is going on?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 10:12 AM
It takes some coaxing and a little bit of threat to get Pontius to talk.
"Before my time. Before the Jistka Empire, there was another. We attempted to delve into their secrets, but the heart of their lands was beyond our Empire's reach, past the lands of elves and dwarves and orcs and giants. But we had scraps enough to begin trying. The project in the workshop was one for autonomous soldiers. A construct forged to make war. I deemed it best to keep it from the others, even you. If it was successful, it could represent my freedom of this form. I could walk on feet of iron. It is not the body that I would have liked, but I have not seen you perform feats of magic impressive enough to warrant faith in ability to conjure one of flesh and blood."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 10:15 AM
"This is about a new body for you, then?" Azrael replies, rolling his eyes. "Look, Pontius, if you don't want an iron body, don't settle for one. Just because Khalopsis and I couldn't make a flesh golem doesn't mean no one can. I'm sure we can find someone powerful enough to do that. ...You could probably ask Abrogail, actually."

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 10:37 AM
"I will help Cheliax as long as it is in my interest. Which it undoubtedly will." he adds quickly, "Abrogail is your ruler and this Empire. I am sure she can arrange for a body in return for my eternal service."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 10:40 AM
"Indeed. I'll put in a good word for you, as well. For whatever it's worth to her."

He gets some rest and rises in the morning, ready to start the day off right. Time to go see his empress!

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 11:33 AM
At morning, Khalopsis and Davira prepare for the journey. Davira has prepared rations and supplies for herself and you, and managed to secure steeds for you. Hellknights maintain a pool of mounts to facilitate movement throughout Cheliax, which is how Khalopsis got to Westcrown. Your journey plan is that you will spend the first day travelling to the small port of East Rikkan and rest there. The second night you must spend in the wilderness. By third evening you will reach Egorian, and by fourth morning, hopefully, you will be on your way to an audience with Abrogail II.

That is still in the future. For now, you set off after a hearty breakfast prepared by Davira.

Besides Davira, Pontius and Khalopsis, do you want to bring anyone else?

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 11:43 AM
With Davira, Pontius, and Khalopsis in tow, Azrael sets out. He knows Lyn is busy with whatever secret project she is working on, and Emelle must stay by Lyn's side at all times. So he travels with his small band out towards East Rikkan.

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 01:38 PM
During the journey, you travel along the Adivian river, watching it stream by in placid fashion, sometimes forming something almost like rapids at some places. You cross over near the town of Westpool shortly after noon, and continue your travels on the eastern bank. There you can see with your own eyes evidence of the glory of Cheliax and laxity in guarding against chaos.

At Westpool, the river takes a sharp dive, forming the namesake pool beside a small waterfall. Beside it is a vast construction, once the greatest of Stavian Arches. Using a system of pulleys, it was capable of lifting an entire seaworthy ship over the falls and depositing it over, allowing for ocean traders to deposit goods to Egorian. It was damaged beyond repair over half a century ago, and while its function is much improved, it can only move medium vessels across. It is said to be quite uncomfortable to be aboard a boat as it is hoisted by the damaged apparatus. Khalopsis explains this history out loud for the benefit of Pontius and Davira. The town is typical of Cheliax, filled with people going about their daily business, plentiful slaves providing for the operation of the Arch, as well as traders, as it represents the furthest reach of large trade vessels, which must unload and sell their goods in the now-prosperous town.

Hours later, the road cuts through hilly terrain, and you hear sounds of combat from up ahead. Cresting the hill, you see a pair of wagons under attack by a band of Gnolls. They are large, each the size of a big man, but more heavily built, with wide shoulders. They are covered in gray-brown fur and have snouts that resemble those of a hyena, itself a relative rarity in Cheliax. They have already engaged the few caravan guards and are beating them down. They are perhaps 70 feet distant. As they spot you, they turn from the beaten caravan to face you. There are 5 still standing, and 1 dead on the ground. Two wield javelins and shields, and two wield spears. The spear-wielders rush forward to meet you, and the javelin-throwers ready themselves for throws. The last gnoll chants and gestures in their tongue, launching tiny motes of reddish lights that cling to the weapons of the gnolls. Khalopsis conjures a bolt of flame. and flings it at one of the spear-wielders, elicting a yelp of pain.

Combatants:
Azrael Initiative
Gnoll initiative [roll0]
Khalopsis initiative [roll1] Attack [roll2] damage [roll3]
Gnoll Alpha cast a spell
Gnoll 1 Javelin [roll4] [roll5] vs Azrael
Gnoll 2 Javelin [roll6] [roll7] vs Khalopsis
Gnoll 3 Melee [roll8] [roll9] vs melee
Gnoll 4 Melee [roll10] [roll11] vs melee

The first gnolls are 30 feet distant from the second row near the caravan, assuming they move first. Khalopsis will close to 25 feet of the nearest Gnolls.

You can roll Spellcraft to identify the spell. And Nature for some insight on the Gnolls (trained).

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 02:57 PM
Azrael puts a hand out protectively in front of Davira, as the javelin sinks harmlessly into his immense armor.

"Stay here. I'll be right back."

He urges the warhorse forward, riding up to the center of the gnolls.
"The Order of the Scourge has no tolerance for criminal trash like you...and I, less so!" Azrael threatens. He grabs at the small tube around his neck and raises it up. "By Her Infernal Majestrix's name, you all shall perish!"

There is a flash of light and a blast rips through the area.

Channel Negative Energy: [roll0] to the gnolls, Khalopsis, and both horses. Will DC 15 Half

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 03:17 PM
One of the gnolls has scorched fur from Khalopsis' fire blast, and Khalopsis has taken a javelin to his leg. Everything is caught in the blast of hostile energy, and the gnolls recoil briefly. The two gnoll spearmen move to flank Azrael, jabbing with their spears and brandishing them menacingly. The Gnoll spellcaster brandishes its unholy symbol again, swelling with power until it is twice its earlier size. It draws a now huge falchion. The javelin-throwers draw axes and advance on Khalopsis, who walks his horse backwards as he chants another spell, abandoning the fire and instead chooses a different strategy. A faint sphere forms around the pair, and residual sense of calm flows over the battlefield. The gnolls are much worse effected, both collapsing and snoring faintly. Khalopsis pumps his fist in triumph

The two Gnolls move to flank you. Only one of them gets to attack.
[roll0] [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-26, 06:27 PM
Azrael ignores the attack and stabs the monster in the chest.

"Get away from me, vile beast."

[roll2]/[roll3]

Kallimakus
2018-08-26, 10:51 PM
The two gnolls rush at Khalopsis, who steadily backs his horse away while his chanting continues.
The gnoll leader charges at Azrael, one of the spear-users repositioning to flank while the other charges at Khalopsis. The Hellknight had missed his strike.

Spear gnoll provokes from AzraelBoss attack (+2 If Aid succeeds) [roll0], damage [roll1]
[roll2] Aid another
[roll3], damage [roll4]

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 07:50 AM
Azrael raises his weapon and brings it crashing down on the giant creature's head.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 08:13 AM
The gnoll leader steps back to drink a potion, while its spear-wielding ally moves up to menace Azrael. It is the one heaviest injured by the channel.

The last gnoll charges Khalopsis, who launches a further fire blast at it.

Gnoll boss[roll0]
Gnoll 1 attack [roll1], damage [roll2] vs Azrael
Gnoll 2 attack [roll3], damage [roll4] vs Khalopsis
Khalopsis attack [roll5], damage [roll6] vs Gnoll 2

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 08:44 AM
Azrael roars angrily at the creature before cutting it down.

Swift Intimidate: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]/[roll2]
[roll3]/[roll4]

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 09:09 AM
The battle rages on. Back at the hill, Davira is observing the battle as t unfolds from a safe distance. She is hardly a warrior, and prefers to trust her life to the hands of her master. She is pale and breathing fast. Even from afar, even after being reassured by her master, she is nervous. The way he fights, the fact that he is hurt. She joked about his scars, never thinking twice about how they came to be.

The gnoll alpha, now healed, throws down the glass vial and hefts its giant falchion again. It glows, and splits in two overlaid images, stepping in and attacking. It strikes you well and true. There is a sensation of time slowing as the blade carves between the plates. Then, it carves its way back. And out of your untouched flesh, until the gnoll merges with its duplicate, going through its motions backwards in a surreal fashion.

"Try again" you hear Pontius say. You block the gnoll's attack.

Gnoll Alpha [roll0] damage [roll1] 15 to hit, which misses.
Gnoll 2 attack [roll2] damage [roll3]
Khalopsis maces it good [roll4] damage [roll5]

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 09:20 AM
Azrael braces himself for the end, with the gnoll's aggressive blow ready to cleave him in two. He closes his eyes and whispers, "I'm sorry, Davira,". His mind races, images of what will happen to his slave and the others once he falls assail him. It is not a pleasant sight, and it makes him angry. If he had the strength to carry on, he would slaughter this beast in an instant. But he does not.

Then, time begins to shift. The deadly blow extracts itself from Azrael's chest, and his pain and surprise fade away. The beast's two-handed swing reverts itself, as Azrael hears a voice in his head.

"Try again," Pontius says.

The attack starts again and Azrael knows exactly what to do. He pulls his horse to the side and deflects the tip of the much larger weapon with his longsword, causing the weapon to slash the ground harmlessly.

Now that the creature has healed, Azrael is in a much worse position. He dismounts and raises his tower shield, ready to fight for real.

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 09:39 AM
Khalopsis' last strike put down the gnoll he was fighting. He rides for Azrael now, seeing that he is hard-pressed. It seems that he wasn't privy to the rewriting of destiny. He rides towards the Hellknight, and places his arm on your shoulder. You feel strength welling up inside you. The gnoll, now faced with two opponents, changes to a more defensive posture. It is still two figures. It roars, its muscles swelling with power.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 09:47 AM
Azrael reaches out to touch the large gnoll, inflicting pain and fear on it, before turning his gaze to the creature and commanding it to flee.

Touch of Corruption: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] plus shaken

The creature gets to make a DC 15 Will save to reduce the damage by half and ignore the shaken condition, but it takes a -4 penalty on this saving throw because of Aura of Cowardice.

If the creature fails its saving throw, Azrael Feasts on its Fear, healing himself for 2 hit points.

Azrael then uses Soulless Gaze as a swift action to cause the creature to become frightened, [roll2].

If the creature, as usual for frightened, attempts to withdraw, Azrael will Step Up to follow it. Withdrawal only prevents an attack of opportunity for the first 5' of movement, so Azrael gets an attack of opportunity. For this attack of opportunity, Azrael will drop his shield as a free action and grasp his longsword in both hands.

[roll3]/[roll4]
[roll5]/[roll6]

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 10:18 AM
The gnoll is made of stern stuff, but even so it is shaken by Azrael's soulless gaze. Its next strike is clumsy, and goes past Azrael. Likewise, Khalopsis misses his own strike. "Alright, back to fire." he says.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 10:47 AM
Azrael strikes the creature and continues to harangue it with his dark voice.

Attack: [roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

Soulless Gaze (-5 for retry): [roll4]

Step Up, drop shield and attack of opportunity in two hands if the target tries to withdraw:
[roll5]/[roll6]
[roll7]/[roll8]

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 11:07 AM
"Burn!" Khalopsis says, dropping his mace and gathering globs of flame around both his arms. He throws them at the gnoll, who catches fire in a very satisfying manner. The gnoll, now in fire, focuses on putting itself out and misses its half-hearted attack.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 11:15 AM
Azrael tries again with the same tactic.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

[roll4]

[roll5]/[roll6]
[roll7]/[roll8]

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 12:57 PM
The gnoll is cleaved clean in half. It keels over, dead. The battle is not quite done, as there are still two sleeping gnolls nearby. Not that they pose any further threat. The two wagons on the road ahead are still occupied, and shortly after the fighting dies down, faces peer out. A pair of humans from one, a halfling from the other. You arrived in the nick of time. The blue and red livery of the downed guards, as well as the markings on the wagons, declare these the property of Preston Shipping, a prestigious company known across Cheliax. Recently, as now, their cargo is in weapons. From Taggon Hold to Egorian to Ostenso, and then back again.

Davira brings her pony down the slope to the battleground, her face pale as she comes beside Azrael. For once, she has no words..

Khalopsis is busy seeing to the bodies, sorting out anything of value before incinerating the rest. He also negotiates with the caravan master about the fate of the gnolls' equipment. Most of it is wither crude or likely stolen goods. Taking them from the gnolls is technically a crime. The gear of their guards belongs to the company, so that is fair game. After seeing the dismay of the caravaners, he points out that he and Azrael, as officers of the law, take possession of the stolen goods and are allowed to put it to use to further the interests of Cheliax.

Azrael feels the effects of the amulet, a sense of robustness.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 01:21 PM
Azrael ignores Davira for the moment and wordlessly jams his sword into the two sleeping gnolls, executing them both.

He picks up the wand and hands it to her, his face entirely obscured by his dark helmet. "Here, take this. You might be able to figure out how it works."

Azrael makes sure everyone who is still alive has been seen to, before he gets on the road.

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 02:44 PM
Daivra accepts the wand, looking it over. "You took quite a beating there. Do you need me to use it?" she asks.

The caravan continues on its way.

You reach East Rikkan by evening. It is small town, featuring the second Arch, smaller than the one in Westpool but undamaged. It remains impressive. The small town still fears and respects the sight of Hellknights, and you have no issue finding lodgings there.

Corentyn has seen its fair share of unrest as of late. It has even started to affect business, and though the market for alchemical remedies and safeguards is increasing, the customer base is shrinking. The lord-mayor, Archheathen Kettermaul and the Order of the Chain have thus far managed to keep things from going out of control, but they are stretched thin. The lord-mayor is said to be leaving for Egorian in order to petition the Queen for help quelling the unrest, but it is a big and risky move.

Only yesterday there was a break-in in the same block as Elixirs Galore and More. Not much was there to be stolen, but the damages still mount. This is unusual, since the thieves' guild usually limits its actions and comes down hard on any non-union robbers. Recently, they have been asking protection money, and it is with such business that a pair of rough-looking halflings show up at closing time.

"Well well well. A nice place you've got here."
"Hear about the break-in a few doors down?"
"Shameful business, really"
"Why, if only the owner had remembered that with a small fee, they could have been all safe."
"Able to sleep all calm through the night and so on."
"You seem pretty smart. Have you considered hiring some security?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 02:56 PM
Azrael accepts some healing from Davira, and sits down with Pontius once they reach East Rikkan.

"How did you do that? And more importantly...why?" he asks the strange item around his neck.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Logan Smith is sweeping up his store, having just finished another weak business day. He mostly deals with couriers for the rich and famous in Egorian, as the nobility is content to be largely hands-off in their dealings with Corentyn. However, recently there have been fewer and fewer nobles willing to even send their couriers to the city, and the Order of the Chain hasn't exactly made stellar progress in getting people back.

When the door opens, Logan sets his broom down and glances back at the counter.

"Lila, dear, why don't you go tally the inventory in the back room?" he asks. It's not really a question.

Once his daughter has left them alone, the dwarf turns to face the halflings.

"Welcome to Elixirs Galore and More. I am Logan Smith, the proprietor, and the manufacturer of all these bombs, poisons, and various alchemical creations. Knowing that, the Guild would still send only two well-dressed gentlemen to my establishment and try to twist my arm? ...I'm almost insulted."

He reaches for a vial on his belt. "I fear that I will have to decline your generous offer, gentlemen. I work very hard to keep this store running, and it is an honest life. I won't have my daughter see ruffians such as yourselves profiting off my hard work. It's not how the Lord of the First Vault intends for things to function, you see."

He brings the mutagen to his lips, waiting to see what the men will do.

Ready an action to drink the mutagen if either appears hostile. It gives me +3 natural armor before any attacks resolve.

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 03:17 PM
"I was once a... If not a capable mage, then at least someone that understands esoterica. It takes a lot out of me to pull off something like that. So don't die over the next few days please? And you ask why? I want my freedom. You will deliver it to me. Or rather, me to it." Pontius explains.

"We don't mean it like that, 'good sir', just observin'. Guild don't want no trouble with your fine establishment" the first halfling says.
"Just a kind offering is all. You make your choice and we won't bother you no more"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 03:21 PM
"Believe me, whatever power you just used there, I don't want to come to rely on it. Or on you," Azrael replies. "I became a knight because..."

He trails off. He almost said "because I want others to rely on me", but he stops himself. That's too much information for this heap of scrap from a bygone age to hear.

"Three more days until we meet with the empress. Hold out until then. I'm sure it won't take her long to secure a body for you."

He heads to bed and rises in the morning.

-------------------------------------------------------

Logan lowers the vial. "Well you may tell the Guild that their 'kind offer' is not appreciated on this street, or any other. Now get out!"

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 03:46 PM
You awake next morning and set off. The next few days are largely uneventful. At the end of the third day, you reach the shore of Lake Sorrow and see the majestic city of Egorian, the capital of Infernal Cheliax and seat of Abrogail II, ruler of the Chelaxian Empire. It is a city in the midst of being reborn. The central districts are tall, gothic buildings of red-veined black marble; The new image of Cheliax, power and untold majesty. Outside the city, several large towers are being builtby hosts of slaves. Unusually, these slaves are of the bigger races. Humans, half-orcs, even some monsters are forced to move large stone blocks up scaffolds, all under the watchful gaze of blood-red fiends with barbed halberds. You recognize them as Bearded Devils, the same kind that aspiring Hellknights face in their Trial.

The two halflings nod and take their leave. Lila emerges from the back room after they're gone.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 03:49 PM
Azrael slumps against the wall and closes his eyes. "Finally! Ugh...I thought we'd never get here. I hate traveling."

He takes his helmet off and takes a deep breath of city air. It's been a long time since he was here. He knows there's a price on his head around here, but the streets should be largely crime-free because of all his hard work.

Azrael looks over at Khalopsis. "Shall we make for the Citadel? The Scourge is...intimidating, but I'm sure you can handle it."

----------------------------------------------------

Logan quickly puts his mutagen away before Lila returns. He smiles gently at his teenage daughter. "You put in a lot of hours today. Why don't you get some rest? I'll take care of closing up the shop tonight."

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 10:52 PM
"Do you think her Infernal Majestrix knows of our coming. I think we should seek to arrange that." Davira says. Two days of travel have brought back her cheerier mood. Still, she remembers her promise to behave well.

"Sure, Pa." she says, retiring for the night and leaving Logan alone with his thoughts.

On the phone and text formatting doesn't work well

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 11:01 PM
Azrael sighs. "Oh. Right. Okay then."

He nods to Khalopsis. "Why don't you go back to the Citadel with Davira and get some rest? Pontius and I will handle the diplomacy. I know this city like the back of my hand."

---------------------------------------------------

Logan sighs and dutifully finishes up the nightly routine. He flips the sign in the doorway to "Closed"...and then opens the door and walks out. He locks it behind him and starts making his way down the street, looking around to keep a watch for any threats.

He reaches the shop that was broken into and looks around.

Kallimakus
2018-08-27, 11:33 PM
"Sure thing. I need to do something to not smell like a horse anyway." Khalopsis says. He heads for Citadel Demain with Daivra.

That leaves Azrael to move into the city proper. It is different entirely from Westcrown, the bustle of the city continuing to the night, the interior of the city organized into precise grid rather than the mess of streets. It's not long before your progress towards the palace is challenged.

"Well, look who came back to Egorian? Miss me?" You hear a familiar, female voice from above.

The shop that was broken into, Jaeger & Son, is a two-story building. The window has been smashed in, and the area has been marked pending investigation. You know that that's mostly been done, few of the Dottari Watch having gone through the streets trying to find witnesses. They have gotten lax and complacent. Still, you can effect an entrance easily enough.

Feel free to roll Perception, use Survival, knowledge (engineering) and any items/magic you might have to help with this

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 11:42 PM
Azrael pauses and frowns. He stops walking and looks up. "I'm surprised you can even tell who I am. I'm wearing a steel helmet that obscures my face entirely, and it's not like I have a particularly distinct figure."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan sighs as he stops in front of Jaeger & Son. How could a nice place like this get hit?

He attempts to squeeze in the window without damaging it further.

Perception: [roll0]

Escape Artist: [roll1]

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 06:26 AM
"It's pretty easy. The way you walk. The way you talk. The way your soul tastes on the wind. Little things, you know?" Cherry says, shrugging her wings. She hasn't changed much since you last saw her. "Didn't answer my question either.""

Logan manages to make it through the window without it breaking further, and does a cursory sweep of the place. Something he doesn't find are any calling cards of the thieves' guild. Another quite odd thing is that not much was stolen. Enough to not raise cursory suspicion, but less than a person should be able to carry.

You can make sense motive or profession (merchant) check to figure out what is amiss.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 08:54 AM
Azrael frowns. "No, Cherry. I didn't miss you. If I was so desperate for your attention, I would have invited you to come with me to Westcrown."

-------------------------------------------------

Logan frowns and starts looking around, trying to unearth any clues.

Profession (Merchant): [roll0]

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 11:13 AM
"You wound me" Cherry says in a mocking tone. "So what does bring you here?"

It isn't too hard to look into the missing objects. Mostly display pieces, which is odd, since those are hard to resell afterwards. Which suggests an ulterior motive to the break-in. What that might be is still a mystery. But gathering more evidence from other scenes might unravel what that is.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 11:16 AM
"I'm here to see Her Infernal Majestrix," Azrael replies. Pontius's soul is sealed within a metal prison, so she might not sense it, he reasons. It's probably best if she thinks he's alone.

Azrael would never dream of attacking this woman, they used to be friends after all. But he is still suspicious of her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan is content with what he has found for now. He carefully crawls out through the broken window and heads to another street to look into another break in.

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 11:52 AM
"Oh?" Cherry asks, her interest piqued, "What do you have for the eyes and ears of Her Majestrix? You can tell me. For old times' sake." She looks at you hungrily. You've dealt with Devils enough to know that they seek to turn any situation to their advantage. And while they are shameless opportunists, they do have some base honour. A favour (or offense) must be paid in kind. Cherry is probably furthering her own station here in the capital hierarchy.

As you walk, you do not find many "clean" sites before nightfall. You spot a few pairs of Dottari along the streets, as well as drunkards and slaves on errands. In the East Dretches, it takes some time to get anywhere, and true privacy is rather hard to come by. You remember another establishment has been burgled recently. Enkpuruk’s Emporium is is run by a gnomish family, specializing in many oddities and curios from around the world. From genuine Osiriani mummies to rare Numerian skymetals, they display and sell just about anything. Across the district is a rival store, Blackwards, who maintain many esoteric and occult wares, with promises to procure whatever the customer requires if they do not carry it. The latter is thus far untouched.

Located South of the Noble's Quarter, it is a rich place, favoured by the wealthy. It's street plan is a network of canals lined with walkways. Swift access across them is handled by "bridgebarges", small boats poled along. The ferriers tend to be a decent source of gossip, though not necessarily reliable information.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 11:58 AM
Azrael sighs. "Very well. I have found the remains of an ancient empire beneath the surface of Westcrown. There, we unearthed enough arms and armor to outfit a small army. It should provide Her Infernal Majestrix with the tools she needs to restore her empire to the greatness it deserves."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan wanders the streets, lost in thought. Those men had come by offering 'protection'...his little girl was in danger. Should he pay? Should he just give in and accept that that's how things are now? He was making a principled argument before, but...do the lessons of Abadar and a fine work ethic really mean more to him than his daughter's safety? It was all well and good to bolster on about how things should be, but it would be far harder to do so if he was cradling Lila's corpse.

He strikes the doubt from his mind. For now, he needs more information. He heads to the Emporium to investigate further.

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 12:06 PM
"Interesting. I'm sure she will be excited." Cherry says. "Tomorrow then? I'll pass the word. You will learn the time once I pull a few strings. All for you." she says, obviously insincere about the last part.

In Citadel Demain, you are directed to your old cell, presently empty, its current occupant on a mission. On the bed, folded, is a piece of paper, which reads "Eighth Hour. Do not be late. -C-"

The Emporium is presently closed, and its windows have been covered. You do know that the owners have moved to live there after the break-in, and the windows still have light streaming out.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 12:07 PM
Azrael picks up the piece of paper, reads it and groans. "How does she...when did she...ugh. Davira!" he calls.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan walks up to the store and knocks on the front door.

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 01:22 PM
"You called, master?" Davira asks, entering your cell.

The door is eventually opened by a gnomish woman, who takes stock of you. "We're closed. Come back tomorrow.." she says with a forced smile.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 01:27 PM
Azrael sits down angrily. "I did. ...Argh!"

He takes off his helmet and throws it across the room. It hits the wall and rolls down onto the floor. Azrael buries his face in his hands and lets out a low hiss of anger.

"There's a woman in this city...she really pisses me off. And we're probably going to see her tomorrow. I want you to...stay close to me, when she's around. Okay?"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Logan smiles. "Begging your pardon for calling so late at night, but I..."

What should he say about why he's here? Why is he here? Nothing that he's doing is sanctioned by the Arch-heathen or the dottari. He has no authority, only a bit of power. Is he going to use it? What does that mean?

Logan decides as he speaks. "I want to get justice, for you and your husband. Please, may I come in?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 02:04 PM
"Of course" the halfling says, "Best behaviour. Not a step out of line."

"It would not be good for a married woman to let a man in her house while his husband is gone." she says. "We'll talk here, or tomorrow in the back room."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 02:06 PM
"It's not about that, Davira!" Azrael says, frustrated. He looks at her.

"Look, I...this woman she...kind of...owns me. In the same way I own you. It's a little more complicated than that, but I don't know how she will react seeing me around other people."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan nods. "Of course. Then, can you please tell me what happened to your store on the night of the incident? Anything you remember would be appreciated."

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 02:50 PM
"Right. It's... not my place to pry but... If you want to tell me how that happened, I'll be there." Daivra says.

"Somebody broke in. Put some kind of enchantment over the place to keep everyone asleep. We ran our own little research for that. They took a fine Noqual breastplate, and a few souvenirs from some Varisian ruins. And an old journal of my husband's, detailing his journeys and findings. It used to be on display for people to read."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-28, 03:06 PM
Azrael nods and heads to sleep. In the morning, he leaves to meet his empress!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"An enchantment to put everyone to sleep? Then...the thieves would have had to do something different if they robbed an elf or drow shop."

Logan pauses for a moment to think if he's heard of an elf-owned shop being attacked.

Kallimakus
2018-08-28, 11:53 PM
The morning comes with Daivra coming to wake you up. As an Armiger of the Rack, you are largely spared the tedium and shouting. You are still expected to conduct yourself in a disciplined manner and be about your business as soon as possible. Beyond your cells, not much has been done to make your life easier, though Daivra has managed to work out some breakfast and other supplies.

You enter the city, your status meaning that you pass through guard checkpoints throughout the inner city all the way to the Imperial Palace. The palace itself is patrolled by Devils and what are clearly elite guards, neither Hellknights nor Dottari watch. Here, your identity is checked and cross-checked, until you are led into the palace itself under the watchful gaze of the guards, a four-man escort afforded to the party of three.
"The slave waits outside" one of them declares as you enter a grand hall. It is black and crimson, lit with red-tinted light from tall windows far above, as well as alchemical candles treated to produce a reddish flame.

Her Infernal Majestrix awaits in the throne room, beyond a set of double doors.

Elves are not that common in these parts, and fewer still are inclined towards shopkeeping. You cannot think of a shop exclusively run by elves.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 12:04 AM
Azrael nods and turns to Davira. He gently rests a hand on her shoulder and asks that she wait in the fore room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would make this sort of theft ideal...

"Thank you for your time. I'm starting to get a better picture of things now. Good night."

He bows and leaves the store, heading for the spot where the imps gather to trade info.

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 08:16 AM
"Of course, master" Davira says. You and Khalopsis are admitted through the large doors and into the throne room. The great doors swing open, revealing the large space. A dais is illuminated in the darkness, the room dim except for that small spot of light. Upon the dais, on the far side of the room, the ruler of Cheliax sits upon her black throne. Beside her stand two advisors. The first is an Erinyes, as distant from Cherry as you are from some slave. The other is a man in crisp military uniform that resembles those of the palace guards. Both look down on you, standing at the lowest steps of the dais, at the edge of the light. Some trick of the light leaves the rest of the room indistinct, so that the only things that you can see is what matters. The most powerful ruler in the world, and the path for you to take to kneel before her. You feel the weight of her attention upon you.

Logan heads over to the "teller spot" The imps that form the group "Tellers of Tales" are a source of information in the city for those that dare treat with them. Shrill voices come from around him.
"A dwarf approaches"
"Does he want to tell a tale?"
"Or hear one?"
"One merits the other"
Imps appear from around you, laughing in their high-pitched voices.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 10:32 AM
It's her. It's really her!

Unable to contain his excitement, Azrael rushes to the foreground and kneels before the Chelish throne. "Your Infernal Majestrix. Empress of Cheliax and Queen of the Nine Hells. I, Azrael Wrynne, am your eternal servant."

---------------------------------------------------------

The dwarf frowns as the imps gather round.

"I wonder if you have heard any tales about the Guild, recently?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 11:34 AM
Khalopsis follows, forced to keep pace and likewise bows. "At your service, your Majestrix" he says.

Abrogail smiles regally. "So I have been told. You have been granted a rare opportunity, Armiger. Share with me your findings, and I will see you rewarded. I know it all, of course, but I would hear it from you."

"We hear all tales"
"But give nothing for free"
"Tell us your secret"
"And we will part with one of equal worth to you."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 12:37 PM
"I hear and obey, Empress. Khalopsis and I traveled outside Westcrown to find a treasure being stolen by a necromancer. He raises the manticore guarding it and tried to flee. We stopped them and retrieved the soul, Pontius. He claims to be the prince of the Jistka Empire. He led us underground to a stash of weapons and armor, enough to outfit your entire army."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan thinks about that. His 'secret'?

He pulls out a mutagen. "Very well. Then I shall tell you. You have a lycanthrope wandering these streets!"

He drinks the mutagen and transforms into a half-bear creature.

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 01:31 PM
"Interesting." she says, leaning forward slightly. "About this Pontius? Can it speak?"
"Affirmative, your majesty." Pontius says, his reflected eyes focusing on the monarch. "To clarify, the equipment stored is sufficient to equip six thousand soldiers. Somewhat less than I imagine your army to hold."
"Astute. Still, six thousand pieces is a great many. Easily decades of work. But what am I to do with you all?"
The erinyes steps to Abrogail, whispering to her. The queen nods.
"I would provide each of you with a reward worthy of this achievement."

"In this world, there is one thing I desire" Pontius says. "To walk this land, to once again breathe air. To sample all the experiences and pleasures of flesh I lost so long ago."
This prompts another whisper from the advisor, but Queen Abrogail raises her hand, hearing none of it. "I can grant you this request, but it cannot be done at once. In the meantime, there is much that you could tell to further the prosperity of my Empire."

"Interesting"
"Worthwhile"
"We shall tell you"
"The thieves' guild has a new sponsor"
"They forge crimes."
"They steal green iron"
"They will break into Blackwards soon."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 01:34 PM
Azrael smiles. "I require no reward for helping my nation, Your Majestrix. I benefit from the power of the army just as much as any citizen. However, if you would offer something, I will gratefully accept it."

------------------------------------

"They...'forge' crimes? You mean, the crimes are fake?" Logan repeats, blinking in surprise.

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 01:42 PM
"Such dedication." Abrogail says. "I would offer you something quite special. Become my agent. Keep your position as a Hellknight. But your loyalty will be for me alone. Prove yourself to me again and again. Those that serve loyally have a place by my side."

Khalopsis allows Azrael to answer first, but his choice is clear. "A man may have but one master. I will serve my Queen with nothing but loyalty, but I cannot place a single person above the Law. Not even an Empress."

"Crimes are real enough."
"Not good business"
"Too much too fast"
"Showy"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 05:43 PM
Azrael grins excitedly. "An honor that I am not worthy of, Your Majestrix. ...Not yet. But I promise! I swear to you, that I will become the strongest man in Cheliax! I will amass all the power I can and lay it proudly at your feet!"

He kneels and bows all the way to the floor, happy to prostrate himself before the woman he considers to be a true goddess.

------------------------------------------------------

Logan considers what they have told him.

"Why Blackward's?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 10:45 PM
"Of course you are not yet worthy." Abrogail says. "Not yet. But that doesn't mean you can't be of use. Return to your station. I may call upon you if I have need of your talents.'

"We need a different story for more answers."
"Your secret is only worth so much"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 10:51 PM
Azrael nods after a moment. It was quite a lot of traveling for a ten minute meeting like this, but he was happy to have finally met his idol in person.

He stands up and touches the stone around his neck.

"Shall I leave you here with the Empress?" he asks Pontius privately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan gives up. For now, he has no more answers to offer. So he dismisses his mutagen and returns home for the night. Hopefully the morning will give him something new to deal with.

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 11:01 PM
"You will do as you will. Leave me here, and I fear we shall not meet again."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 11:03 PM
Azrael is surprised to hear his words. He hesitates, and then nods. "If that's what you want. It was nice to meet you."

He takes the small item off his neck and places it before Abrogail's throne, before walking out.

He collects Davira, packs up his gear, and leads the group to a boat. They needed to get back to Westcrown soon.

Kallimakus
2018-08-29, 11:45 PM
You leave Pontius with Abrogail. "You and I have much to talk about..." you hear her say as you are escorted out.

You leave the Imperial Palace and the Grid. Davira follows you silently, the image of a compliant slave. It isn't until you are in the old town that Khalopsis speaks "That was... something." he says. "You gave up Pontius. Not that I didn't expect that. You even turned down her offer. I don't understand."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-29, 11:50 PM
"It was never my intention to come here to receive some kind of royal reward. And Pontius didn't want to stay with me anyway. I can't give him a real golem body like Abrogail can," Azrael explains. "I don't care about myself, Khalopsis. I don't need wealth, or status, or fancy gifts or anything like that. I'm honestly a really terrible person. You can use any number of words to describe me. Slave-owner. Corrupt enforcer of the law. Vigilante. Murderer. All of those are true in some way or another. What I care about is dealing with the shadow beast problem, and if Abrogail could help with that, she would have done it on her own ages ago."

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 12:41 AM
"I see. You have a noble soul in many ways. And you did not ask her to deal with the shadow beasts. Her ancestors moved the capital from Westcrown not long before the first shadows came. They left behind many noble families." Khalopsis says. He hastily adds, "I do not believe she has anything to do with this. I doubt even her ancestors did. But I do not believe she has pressing need to fix the problem."

You reach the docks at the edge of the lake. Neither left anything in Citadel Demain, and you are free to make your way South to Westcrown.

The night passes. Sure enough, that night, Blackwards has been the victim of a break-in.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 08:00 AM
"Of course she has a pressing need to fix the problem. It's hurting her people," Azrael replies. "You think that just because her family is safe from them, that it isn't in her interest to address it? She is a leader of a nation. All of Westcrown is her family."

Azrael gets on the ship and starts sailing back to Westcrown.

When he arrives, he heads to the inn where Lyn and Emelle are staying, telling Davira to head back to the Citadel with Khalopsis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan feels guilty when he hears about this. Why didn't he think to warn Blackward's last night? He could have staked the place out. For some reason...he didn't think "next" meant "tonight".

This was his fault. He could have stopped it.

Logan dutifully spends the day running his shop. Maybe he'll hear more info from his customers.

Profession (Brewer): [roll0]
Craft (Alchemy): [roll1]

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 08:46 AM
The journey back is largely comfortable. There are three stops though, as the river gets too wild, and the great Stavian Arches are used to lift the boat bodily across the rapids. It is quite uncomfortable to be on board, dangling up in the air and hefted about.

"I'm sure you are correct" Khalopsis says, an attempt at diplomacy. "So now we shall tackle the shadows of Westcrown?"

You have no trouble locating the place of stay. Bladewing Inn, named after the nearby bridge, and depicting a pegaus with wings feathered with blades. The innkeeper is nervous about the Hellknight entering establishment, his apologetic and eager to please attitude not uncommon among those that fear reprisal. It is not uncommon for Hellknights to search for fugitives or criminals, and they often aren't averse to handling obstructive owners, bystanders or furniture in a decisive manner.

He can direct you to their room, or deliver a message.

The day goes by. The chain of crimes is the talk among the customers. It looks like the others, with few notable display pieces stolen. Among them was a set of "witch dolls" from Irrisen, as well as an old dwarven relic, and some green ward box, as well as pieces of jewelry.

The business is decent enough, and you earn some money, as well as alchemical commissions.

By that Profession/craft roll, your weekly earnings are 12gp for profession or 16gp from Craft.
This suggests that you either sell very few expensive things (like one antitoxin per month) or more cheap items on a daily basis.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 08:59 AM
Azrael raises a hand. "At ease, friend. I'm off duty tonight. Please tell me where her room is."

Once he's found it, he heads over and knocks on the door.

-------------------------------------------

Logan thanks his daughter for another day of hard work and sends her out to do some shopping and have a bit of fun. She can't enjoy work unless she gets to spend some money, after all.

With that, he goes to Blackward's to investigate.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 09:30 AM
The innkeeper directs you to the upper floor, which holds five rooms. He directs you to one, labelled 23 in carved wood. A while after knocking, the door is opened by Emelie. You also see Lyn at the back in a scandalous state of undress, wearing only her arming doublet, still essentially covered from neck down.

"Oh joy. It's your Hellknight friend Lyn." she says. "What do you want?"

Later in the day, you hear that Blackwards' owner, Victor, prohibited the Dottari from "contaminating the scene" until he could hire a private investigator to take over.

You go to Blackwards. The windows are fine, but the door has been broken. An excessively complicated lock is still mounted on the door. The area around has been isolated, and there are two women and a man lingering around the site, observing the scene.
You recognize Victor as well. He is an infrequent customer, mostly in for alchemical preservatives.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 09:36 AM
Azrael smiles. "Hello, Emelle. I'd like to speak to Lyn, please," he says patiently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan waves. "Victor, my friend. I hear you are in the market for a private investigator?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 09:40 AM
Lyn nods in your direction. "I have explained that she has taken a vow of silence." Lyn makes a few gestures, and Emelie sighs. "But she will speak with you."

"Yes. I have found a few, but I believe that we could benefit from an expansion of perspective, if you are offering."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 09:43 AM
Azrael smiles as Lyn approaches.

"It's good to see you again. We didn't really have the opportunity to talk when we first met. But now that that whirlwind of a situation is over, I'd like to invite you properly. Lyn, please permit me the honor of escorting you on a date tomorrow night."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have my own reasons for wanting to understand more about these break-ins. I'm happy to look into this problem for you and see if it is possible to retrieve the stolen goods."

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 10:05 AM
You can tell she was not expecting that. She looks aside a little guiltily before nodding. Emelie does not need to translate that one. She looks unhappy about the fact. "It's not good to be alone, she says."

"I see" he says. "If you have an ulterior motive, will you work for free?" he continues.

His serious expression cracks a moment later. "I kid. I'll pay you by day as long as you put a few hours in. The sensitive magical information has been gathered. It will take time to process the results. Feel free to investigate as you please. Don't trust anything cursed." he says with another winning smile.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 10:08 AM
Azrael smiles. "I agree! Which is why you're coming too, of course, Emelle."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan is taken by surprise, and tries to form some kind of rebuttal, before Victor breaks character. He laughs along with his friend and nods. "Not a problem. I'll do my best to help out."

He looks around the area. "Did they damage the doors or windows to break in, or did they simply open the door?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 10:12 AM
Lyn nods again. "Fine" Emelie says in exasperation. She watches Lyn gesture. "She wants to know if you have any plans for tomorrow?"

"It's the doorframe that gave. My windows are magically hardened." Victor says, picking up a rock and tossing it at the window. It bounces off.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 10:16 AM
"I need to catch up on my rest, actually. Been traveling a lot. Wearing this armor is tiring. So I'll probably wake up late, get some training in, and then come pick you up," Azrael replies. "As for what we do after that, no I have no plans. I can come up with something on the fly."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They broke down the entire door?" Logan repeats, stunned. He looks at the door. No way a halfling could have done that. "Did you see any of the criminals?"

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 10:36 AM
"We will meet tomorrow then." Emelie says, turning to Lyn. "We need to get you something nice to wear."

"I'm afraid not. I did not expect them to breach the lock and avoid the many wards I had set. Powerful magic is at work.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 10:51 AM
Azrael thanks them and heads back to the barracks.

When he arrives, he kicks off his shoes and talks to Davira. "I need you to wash and iron my suit. I'll be entertaining a few ladies tomorrow."

------------------------------------------------------------

Powerful magic?

For now, Logan searches the area to see if there are any prints, or tools that the criminals left behind.

Take 20 on Perception for 28

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 11:08 AM
"Oooh" Davira explains. "I'll get to it." she says eagerly.

She comes back a moment later. "Who are they? What are they like?" She probably didn't get much further than taking your suit to be eventually washed. "Do you need another bath?"

You find fibre traces, a piece of cloth snagged on a sharp display armor. There are a few dust prints, suggesting medium and small creatures, but it's not certain if they are made by the investigators. A quick question confirms that all the investigators are medium. Halflings, especially free ones, are known to stick together, an admirable trait in many ways, but that makes them untrustworthy under the circumstances. So those small prints are out of place.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 11:14 AM
Azrael waves a hand to silence her and has her bring him a glass of wine.

"Her name is Lyn Penell. She is a knight, like me. Her sense of duty and honor rivals my own. Though she is neither beautiful nor eloquent, she nonetheless would make a fine companion. At least, I believe so."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan raises an eyebrow. Need to be thorough though. "I don't suppose you have any slaves? Employees of a young or small stature? Children?" Logan asks.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 11:30 AM
Daivra nods and returns to work after bringing the wine, working until the suit is clean, pressed and folded and ready for deployment.

"I've never felt the need for slaves in my shop. There's nobody like that that should be here after the place is mysteriously cleaned every night. Do not ask. That piece of fabric there... Do you need it to run some tests? I could use a bloodhound to trail the scent. Unlikely that they didn't think of that, but if that doesn't work, there are more occult means at our disposal."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 11:40 AM
The next day, Azrael does sleep in. He rises around ten AM and gets started with his daily routine. Plenty of sit ups, a few push ups, and a set of one-handed push ups, just to work up that bit of extra sweat that draws a woman in. He takes a shower and gets dressed, putting on his suit and making sure there is no damage to it.

"Now, I will be bringing these ladies back to the barracks for dinner. Go out and purchase something to cook, and prepare enough for the four of us," Azrael commands Davira. He gives her the money and leaves to go pick up Lyn.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Russell+Crowe+Russell+Crowe+Shows+Off+Scar+Eag7u6E y8bOl.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

"The bloodhound sounds good. It may be a dead end, but we should try it anyway."

Logan prepares himself for battle, and nods for the dog to get started. He would find these thieves and teach them a lesson.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 12:29 PM
Davira departs to do your bidding. You arrive to the Bladewing Inn and find your dates. Lyn wears a long blue and black dress that goes well with her hair. She has a cloth belt on which she has hung her longsword. She wears long gloves that reach past her elbows, which leave her pale shoulders bare. A few hints of scars are visible on her back. Emelie wears a small red skirt with a wide hem, reaching her knees, and leaving most of her flesh bare.

A bloodhound is brought in and smells the fabric. It gets the scent outside the shop, bays and begins tracking. Victor gestures to the man to go along. One of the women is handling the hound, while the other remains at Blackwards.

The trail unsurprisingly leads to the canals. You travel around and the scent is picked up again. It gets indistinct around the warehouse district, near the docks. You do not have the leave to conduct more thorough searches, but you can rule out large portions of the district.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 12:37 PM
Azrael is clearly surprised by Lyn displaying her face so openly. Of course, his cheek and lip are not without their own scars, but while Lyn's were inflicted by her mistress, Azrael's are the marks of powerful opponents. He opens his mouth to say something, but it hangs open as his eyes turn to Emelle. His eyes linger on her lithe figure a bit longer than necessary.

He clamps up quickly and forces a smile, but it's clear to both women that he favors the sorcereress's appearance, though he would likely never say so. "Wow. You both look lovely. I'm surprised to see you put so much effort in, Lyn. Surprised, and flattered. Shall we go?" He bows, and offers the knight his arm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan looks up at the sky. Night will fall soon. He needs to hurry.

He heads to the dottari barracks.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 01:30 PM
Lyn takes his offered arm. She adjusts her veil before exiting the inn. It's not a very long walk back to Taranik house. The iron guardians admit you in without moving. You feel the ladies are a bit nervous to be entering the Hellknight garrison. At daytime, it is mostly empty. Davira has set your dinner in one of the briefing rooms, to keep things a little more private. There is an enticing smell as you draw closer.

"Hello there little one." Emelie says. "My name is Emelie, and this is Lyn."

She has set the table beautifully, welcomes you and your guests, and then rushes off to fetch the food she has prepared. It is locally procured fish, cooked to perfection and served on a bead of creamy potatoes.

The Dottari barracks are located in the docks. It is a foreboding buiding, it's purpose declared by black and red banners displaying the Chelish Cross insignia of the Dottari, superimposed on a stylized tower representing Corentyn. There is a young watchman on duty at a reception desk who gives you a bored and dismissive look, then looks down at the desk.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 01:35 PM
Azrael pulls out a chair for Lyn and sits her down respectfully, then does the same for Emelle. He sits at one end of the briefing table, with Lyn at the other, and Emelle equidistant between them on Azrael's left and Lyn's right.

"I hope everything is to your liking, Dame Penell," Azrael says, filling her glass with wine and taking some for himself.

"You seemed...a bit upset when I invited you out. I hope this wasn't too much of an inconvenience."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan clears his throat. "The dottari need to search some of the warehouses in the docks. I think one of them is harboring stolen goods."

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 01:52 PM
Lyn takes the offered seat gratefully. She makes a few gestures for Emilie to translate. "Merely surprise. She expected those of your calling to be... different. That much like her, you would have trouble trusting outsiders."
"And personally, I'd like to apologise for my mistrust. Are all Hellknights like you?" she adds.

Lyn nods to Azrael's words. She emotes to Daivra that the meal is tasty. And to Azrael that it is far from it. You sense that she wants to say something more but decides better of it. The dinner goes smoothly. Lyn actually communicates quite a bit. You are aware that the room is quite relaxingly cool despite the weather and can feel a gentle breeze of fresh air.

"I see. Let me contact my superior." the clerk says. He procures a rolled-up parchment and dramatically unfolds it. "Sending" he enunciates. "There is a dwarf that says that the warehouses are full of stolen goods." He waits theatrically. "Yes, I'll tell him." he puts down the scroll, which you think depicts the image of a woman.
"My sincerest apologies. I could not hear his answer over the screams of the last person that gave us a false lead. Are you sure?" He obviously thinks he is very funny.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 02:01 PM
Azrael nods. "It is ...difficult for me to trust some people," he admits. "But not you, Lyn. You respect authority. You respect your leaders. Your body is proof that you are a devoted follower of your leader, as I am. That...to me, that is honor."

He looks over at Emelle, not hiding his surprise at her words. "I...thank you," he replies, doing his very best to keep his eyes locked on her face. "'Like me'? ...I don't believe so. I think most Hellknights believe they are doing something right, or something just. This convinces them that theirs is the only way to see things, it even creates division between the different Orders. For me, this is not the case. I make mistakes all the time. I think back and realize that maybe some people I've arrested have been innocent, or some monsters I've executed could have been spared. I wouldn't say that I feel...guilty, exactly. More like, I place my faith in Abrogail specifically because I believe in her judgment over my own. And by doing so, I think I cut down a lot on the sort of pompous assery you might have encountered before now."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan nods emphatically. "The criminals left a scrap of cloth behind and we tracked it with a bloodhound. I'm telling you, this is a legitimate lead!"

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 02:19 PM
"Her body is the symbol that she was a slave. A future snatched away from her, perverted to serve the ambitions of another." Emilie says. "Her oath is proof that se has found a cause worth serving, a future dedicated to a united nation and not the blind ambitions of one person." Lyn nods her approval, and makes a few gestures. "Few know what the Gray Maidens truly went through. But she would ask you not to speak of her scars as something to be proud of."

Lyn smiles at you, showing that she is still flattered by the complimentary parts.

Time passes and the meal is done. Daivra brings you sweet baked desserts.

"Fiine. I'll tell them..." the clerk says.

Two patrols of three Dottari are gathered

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 02:27 PM
Azrael eats quietly, watching Lyn's expressions. She's very hard to read, especially since he's getting all of her words secondhand with no tone to hear, but he gets the sense that she's being very patient with him. She's not quick to jump to conclusions or attribute unspoken intent to his words. She's not getting offended. That's...different.

He gives a brief pause in the conversation, allowing Lyn to speak freely and lead the discussion. He wonders what she would talk about with him, or ask him, if given the opportunity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan leads the dottari to the warehouses and points out a few suspicious spots where the bloodhound led him to.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 02:50 PM
Lyn speaks through Emelie. "So what brought you here from Korvosa?" she asks. "For me, it was a sense of duty at first. But it grew into so much more."

She speaks little of her own doings, but brings up Ironwrought. It seems that it is getting its business started. Lyn mentions that she had it enchant her armour. She gestures to a necklace hanging over her chest, bearing the shape of feathered wings.

She inquires about your actions, of the monsters you have slain, but eventually steers the discussion towards Westcrown, and the shadows. "For too long, this city has been known as the City of Twilight. Ruled by men at day and by shadows by night. She believes that it is time for that to change."

The Dottari go about their search with ruthless speed and passing efficiency. Learning who owns which warehouses, they decide if it is best to send for the owner (if said owner is rich or powerful) or simply open the storehouses. There are a few violations that bog down the search, and twilight is quickly falling. Ultimately, their search finds a storehouse with some of the stolen goods. The recognizable ones that could not be fenced. Ones that would need to be shipped far away. The warehouse belongs to Freetrader Harrack, but is empty besides the stolen goods. This place too has halfling prints around.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 02:56 PM
"...Oh."

This was a bit awkward, but he wanted to be honest with her. "I came here...because of a girl. Her name was Arietta. She was a nice woman, a mage of some talent. But she...she died. And I was heartbroken. So I ran away to try and get away from all the places she and I had been together. I needed time to recover."

When the discussion turns to Westcrown, Azrael nods firmly. "I couldn't agree more. The key to defeating these creatures lies in understanding them. I think that, between the four of us, we could potentially take one down. Let's gather together and try to fight a shadow beast tonight, and see if we can't kill it and bring it inside to study its body."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fruitful search, and almost...too easy.

With how organized all of this has been up until now, was a simple mistake and not descenting their clothes ahead of time really all it took to unmask these people?

Night has come, however, and Logan hasn't the time to lay about. He searches the warehouse for Victor's goods so he might return them to the man.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 03:05 PM
Emelie gives Lyn a worried glance. The knight nods, and Emilie's shoulders slump in resignation. "It seems we have little choice in the matter." she says quietly. Lyn lays a reassuring hand on her shoulder. She smiles weakly.

You find few of his possessions. The jewelry does not seem to be here, and all you find that matches what was taken are a pair of creepy dolls. Neither the dwarven relic or the green sealing box are here.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 03:07 PM
They finish dessert, and Azrael politely asks the two women to return home and change into their battle attire as he goes to get Khalopsis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan takes the dolls to Blackward's.

Kallimakus
2018-08-30, 03:40 PM
It turns out that Khalopsis did not return to the Citadel last night. He went back down to the Workshop to see what more he could find. It takes time for it to be emptied, but the Queen's men are getting to it with gusto. He is less eager to face the shadow beasts, but at the same time, both curiosity and duty demand that he do.

The sky darkens as you meet up with Lyn and Emelie. The former is dressed in her maiden armor, the latter in a more battleworthy robe.

"So you found them" Victor asks. "Never liked the creepy things... Did you keep that cloth scrap? I've heard of all kinds of weird alchemy stuff like finding out where some dye is coming from and so forth."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 03:43 PM
Azrael prepares himself mentally and steps forward, taking the front. "Stand tall and proud. For Westcrown, and for Cheliax! I will not let you down!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan hands over the scrap of cloth.

Kallimakus
2018-08-31, 09:01 AM
Lyn claps her gauntlets together a few times. "This is the night we solve the mystery of the shadows that plague Westcrown." Khalopsis says, adding "Pity you don't have Pontius along since he could see them coming."

You walk the streets. Emilie has picked up a lantern staff, and Khalopsis holds aloft a flame. With Azrael at the front, Lyn has the back with Khalopsis and Emelie in between. You leave the brightly lit main avenue and head for the side streets. Even out here, there is some light. Candlelight from shuttered windows. Starlight streaming from above to narrow streets. As when you and Khalopsis first arrived, there is a sense that there is something right behind you. Random noises spook Emelie, and sometimes Khalopsis as well. You travel though the streets, footsteps leading you towards the Arodenite ruins in Parego Spera, Hope's Altar. From what you learned of Ironwrought, it was the area where the shades first appeared. Furthermore, with its numerous temples, it has some line of retreat.

"What was that?" Emelie asks for what must be the dozenth time.
"What is what?"
"I saw eyes in the shadows. I think."

You peer around the darkness. It's hard to tell with the flickering flames and the bad light. Azrael notices something off though. Where you should be standing in a pool of light, the shadows are coming ever closer. On Khalopsis's back, you can see a shadow cast by someone's hand. Moving up his leg and to his back, fingers spreading wider as it reaches for the back of his neck. Following it, the rest of the body is on the ground, reaching from beyond the pool of light.

"You don't want it? Very well. I'll dust up the Brass Thief."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-31, 06:25 PM
Azrael immediately shoves Emelle and Lyn backwards, moving himself in the process, so that all three of them shift in a way that they can't cast a shadow on Khalopsis's back anymore.

-----------------------------------------------

Logan growls quietly. "What can you tell me about Freetrader Harrack?" he asks Victor.

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 12:58 AM
You do so. The shadow doesn't move with any of you. Startled, Khalopsis steps a bit forward and turns around.

There is a vaguely humanoid shadow cast towards the light. The rest of the surrounding shadows squirm, and you can see eyes now. Surrounding you on all sides. They are at around head-height, and if you look hard, you can see vague humanoid oitlines approaching from the darkness. The eyes belong to them.

"Oh no. What are these?"
Even further out, behind the shades, you see a dark shape, a quadruped with hunched shoulders.

"I used to trade with the man sometimes. He would do anything for money." Victor says. "That's what I liked about him. A year or so back, he refused a Job from me. Said he had a new, better one. Some secret venture that paid better than I. Why do you ask?

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 01:06 AM
"This...was not part of the plan," Azrael mutters. "They surrounded us a lot faster than I expected. ...Emelle, can you cast a light? As long as we have a light, they can't reach us!"

"Because the warehouse belongs to him," Logan explains. "So I guess this better venture was robbing you blind."

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 05:09 AM
"Yes!" she says, gestuting at her lit staff. She lifts it higher, but the shadows don't retreat.
"The pitiful light you call upon is powerless against me, child" a voice carries out from the darkness, laced with malice. To prove his point, the shadow that reached for Khalopsis pushes further into the light. "We were growing hungry. Who wants to be the first?"
The beast at the rear lets loose a terrifying howl.

Will saves vs Fear effect.

"He has another thing coming then." Victor says. His tone has become grave, and his arms tremble with outrage. "This city... It has all gone downhill. Someone has to fix it. The Hellknights are too few, the dottari are a joke and the thieves' guild either runs amock or has lost their touch. A few days ago a few halflings came around to blackmail me. In hindsight, probably scouting for last night…"

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 09:27 AM
Azrael is shaken to his core by the howl. He drops his sword and shield and wraps his arms around himself, trying his best to avoid the dark shadows.

Total Defense action

"They did the same to m- wait, scouting?!" Logan snarls, before taking off to his own store.

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 10:03 AM
As Azrael covers, the shadows surge into the light, first few, but increasing in number. They emerge into the light, vaguely humanoid in shape, advancing slowly into the light. The first reaches for Khalopsis, who throws his flame at it. The blazing bolt passes through it and hits the street some way behind the shade. His hand touches the shadow, and he drags it back with a shriek, rubbing some feeling into his fingers. He stays close to Azrael
Emelie conjures up a translucent shield to keep the shades back. It seems somewhat effective as she backs away towards Lyn.
The Gray Maiden lashes out against the first approaching shadow. She doesn't stray far from the group, but after the first shadow passes through her shield, she shrugs it to her back and wields her sword two-handed.

Two shadows reach for Azrael, only once landing a hit. A chill spreads through the impact, and you feel your strength fleeing you. But the fear that gripped you recedes.

Azrael: 9, 13, 20 and 10 vs touch AC
Emelie: 9, 2, 3 vs touch AC, missed. She casts Magic Missile for [roll0] damage
Khalopsis: 17, 12, 5 vs touch AC, 20 to attack with the fire blast he was holding, [roll1] fire damage, halved. Next round, magic missile for [roll2] damage.
Lyn: 21, 9, 11 vs touch AC. She scores two hits over the rounds. [roll3] and [roll4] (halved)

"Wait..." Victor calls out, reaching for you, before shaking his head and lowering his hand.
The canals mean that you need to either catch a poleboat or spend a while running.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 10:15 AM
Azrael grabs his sword in both hands and stands upright, slashing through one of the nearby shades. He starts making his way towards the boss shade.

[roll2]/[roll3]

Concealment (1-20 misses) : [roll4]

Logan tries to flag down a boat and hurry back to his store. Lila...

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 10:51 AM
The shadow blends too well into the darkness, and it is hard to pin down.
Emelie chants another spell, attempting to bring down her enemy.
Khalopsis conjures up a second flame. "Burn in the light of Hell!"
Lyn stays close, defending the group from her end.
You are back to back, standing in a pool of light and surrounded by living shadow.

Shadows vs Azrael: [roll0], [roll1]
Shadows vs Emelie [roll2], [roll3]. Emelie casts another magic missile [roll4]
Shadow vs Khalopsis [roll5], he uses a fire blast (cast his magic missile), [roll6], [roll7]
Shadow vs Lyn, [roll8]. Lyn attacks back, [roll9]+stuff, [roll10]

If the shadows number 4 or less, the monster charges in at one of you.[roll11] in alphabetical order, Azrael, Emelie, Khalopsis, Lyn
Charge! [roll12], [roll13] and trip [roll14]

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 10:58 AM
Azrael growls as a shadow touches him. He sweeps his blade forward and cuts it in half.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]
[roll4], 1-19 misses

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 11:19 AM
The shadow beast strides back and fort, snapping at the metaphorical heels of the shades and egging them on.
Azrael strikes at the shadows facing him, cleaving one in half. Its essence remains but is clearly diminished, struggling to remain.
"Eat this!" Khalopsis yells, conjuring up larger fireballs in a futile effort to destroy the shade.

Azrael [roll0], [roll1]
Emelie [roll2], [roll3] you know the drill
Khalopsis [roll4], [roll5], [roll6] [roll7]
Lyn [roll8], [roll9] plus extra, [roll10], [roll11]

This time the shadowbeast does charge. At Emelie. [roll12], [roll13] [roll14]

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 11:38 AM
Azrael closes the gap between himself and the shadowbeast.

"I appreciate your fervor. But allow me to show you what true fear is!"

Azrael stabs the ground with his blade and slams his fist into his palm aggressively.

Dazzling Display: [roll0] to demoralize all of them.
Swift Intimidate: [roll1] on the shadowbeast to frighten it.

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 12:17 PM
The shadow beast charges at Emelie, its jaws opened wide, sharp, black fangs glinting in the light of her staff. Its jaws bite down at the metal of Lyn's vambrace. She managed to throw herself in the way of the attack, and her armour holds. The beast growls, shadowy hackles rising as it draws shadows to itself.
One of the shadows keeps attacking Azrael, while another shifts to currently free Khalopsis. Seeing what Azrael is up to, he chants a spell and casts it, a fiery chain wrapping around one of his arms. He rushes at the shadowbeast, trying to wrap the chain at its leg.
Emelie, warded by Lyn, casts her final spell at the shadow chasing after the Maiden. It disperses into smoke.
Lyn faces down the shadowbeast, swinging with her sapped strength. You can tell that her armour is weighing her down more than it was.

Azrael: Shadow attacks [roll0]
Emelie: Shadow attacks [roll1], [roll2] you know the drill, targeting the shadow left over from Lyn.
Khalopsis casts Shackle, a spell preferred by Hellknights to restrain captives. [roll3] Reflex save vs DC 16
Lyn: Shadow attacks [roll4], Lyn attacks the shadowbeast [roll5] plus extra, [roll6]
[roll7]

Logan finds a boatman, who takes him to the front of his store. It doesn't take very long, but the boat doesn't quite match the speed of a runner (though it covers a shorter distance, winning out).

As he rushes off, everything seems quite calm. Except for the fact that the lights are out. He knows that her daughter enjoys reading, and after a day around town has likely picked up a new book. And even this late, she would be reading it by candlelight. No such light is visible in her window.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 12:28 PM
Now that the shadowbeast is afraid, Azrael closes in for the kill.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

----------------------------------------------------

"No..."

Logan grabs his keys in one hand and his mutagen in the other. He rushes to the front door of his shop and unlocks it, heading inside.

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 01:18 PM
The shadowbeast bites at Lyn again. She tries to guard but lacks her shield. Its manacled legs prevent it from fleeing, and in its terrified frenzy it manages to lock jaws around Lyn's shoulder. It tries to bear her down but to no avail. She strikes against the beast wordlessly, refusing to make a sound. Emelie is breathing hard, her magical reserves nearly exhausted. "Not much left in me." she says, pointing a finger at one of the shadows and shooting a blue-white beam at it. The few remaining shadows cannot quite muster a swarm like before, and light starts to return.

Not to be defeated, the frightened beast redoubles its struggles, drawing shadows to itself andblurring its outline

Azrael: Shadow attacks [roll0]
Emelie: Shadow attacks [roll1], [roll2] attack, [roll3] damage, [roll4] miss chance
Khalopsis burns away at the shadow fighting Azrael
Lyn: Lyn attacks the shadowbeast [roll5] plus extra, [roll6]
Shadowbeast [roll7] attack [roll8] damage.
The shadowbeast has 50% miss chance.

Logan rushes at his home, but realizes something fishy. The perspective changes somehow wrong, as though he were approaching a painting of the familiar street. The image wavers, and becomes translucent. A pair of halflings stands on the street. One of them has an arm raised, and energy flows into the illusory image of your home. The other, ready for you to rush headlong into them, has a whip and a dagger ready for use.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 01:54 PM
Azrael slashes at the creature.

[roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]
50: [roll4] (1-50 misses)

Logan narrows his eyes as he sees through the illusion. He pops the cap of his mutagen and swallows it, transforming into a monstrous half-beast.

Standard to drink a mutagen, which gives me +4 Str, -4 Int, +3 Natural armor, and +2 to Intimidate. I also grow claws that deal 1d6 damage and a bite that deals 1d8 damage.
Swift action to adopt a minor Shifter's Aspect, giving me a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution.

Kallimakus
2018-09-01, 02:39 PM
The shadowbeast is still a dangerous, even though its legs are manacled together. It keeps biting down and Lyn keeps her sword embedded in the monster. Armour cracks and the beast snarls in pain. Both are nearing the end of their struggle. Khalopsis and Emelie manage to take out the last shadows, leaving you with only the monster.

"Lyn!" Emelie gasps. She has no magic left anymore, but she has a staff. She will use it if she has to.

You can negate the miss chance by "two weapon fighting", pinning down a solid part with a free hand and stabbing it with the other (taking -2 to attack roll and losing benefits of using a weapon two-handed)

The spellcaster drops the illusion, conjuring up a shield. The whip-wielder throws his arm forward, lashing at you, trying to pull your feet from under you.

[roll0] Trip

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-01, 08:28 PM
Azrael frowns. He seizes the monster and stabs downwards, trying to get it off of Lyn.

Attack: [roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

-----------------------------------------------------

Logan ignores the whip and barrels forward, taking a bite out of the spellcaster!

Power Attack (Charge): [roll4]/[roll5]
[roll6]/[roll7]

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 12:08 AM
The struggle between shadowbeast and Lyn ends. The Maiden backs down, too injured to continue, barely standing on her feet. There

Emelie [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
Khalopsis [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

You play into their hands, charging at the spellcaster. He checks you with the magical shield, and the other halfling steps behind you. He takes a stab at stabbing you in the back. The spellcaster focuses on defence now. While he has a dagger, he seems less adept at using it.
[roll6][roll7]knife damage, [roll8] sneak attack

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 12:30 AM
Azrael grimaces, and then takes a step back.

"Flee," he commands. "We can make it inside if we run now. The creature is still bound by its shackles. We were not powerful enough to take it down after all."

He grabs Lyn to prop her up and starts running for the nearest door with light in the window.

The lycanthrope roars in anger and turns to the halfling behind him. Such a despicable cowardly cutpurse. Logan would die before he let this scum anywhere near Lila!

He raises one paw and slashes at the rogue, skewering him with the second before going in with his teeth for the kill.

Full attack, Power Attack:
Claw: [roll0]/[roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

[roll4]/[roll5]
[roll6]/[roll7]

Bite: [roll8]/[roll9]
[roll10]/[roll11]

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 01:02 AM
"Yes" Emelie says. "We can't fight that."
"I'll give it something to remember me by! Khalopsis roars, backing down and gathering hios power for one last blow. He hurls a searing bolt bright enough to drive back the shadows at the shadowbeast, which whines pitifully, rolling against the ground to put itself out.
Azrael grabs Lyn, whose first reaction is to try and fight you off. She relents and accepts something to lean to. Something you notice is how light she is. You head for the nearest door, simply a home in the Priest Sector of Westcrown.

The halfling weaves aside from your strikes, as agile as anything you have fought. "Shoulda listen'd to us" he says. "Everybody pays." he says, stabbing again.

[roll0]damage, [roll1] Sneak [roll2]

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 01:14 AM
Azrael moves up to the door, tries it once, and then rams into it with all his might.

Strength check: [roll0]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan roars, taking another approach. He uses his formidable size to bat the pesky halfling away, following him in a rush.

He grimaces as he feels his strength start to fade. He looks around and calls out to someone, anyone that might be near by. "Help! Thieves! Stop them!"

Bull Rush: [roll1], pushing him back 5' plus 5' for every 5 I beat the CMD by, as well as following him the entire way.

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 01:34 AM
The door budges a bit but remains closed. It fees like there is some kind of security latch inside. Khalopsis reaches your side. "I... I think we won... he says, gesturing at the shadowbeast, whose struggles have ceased. It lies on the ground, the fires slowly dying out. Still, you are far from being clear. More shades are gathering at the edge of your vision. Emelie joins on the door.

1d20-1

"That ain't good. Didn't wanna kill ya anyhow. Smoke us" the halfling says. The spellcaster moves to the centre of the street and chants a spell. Fog billows out from his sleeves, covering the width of the street. The rogue leaps into the fog. "Lucky you."

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 01:47 AM
Azrael grunts angrily. He is still weak from the touches from the shades. He gives another slam.

Strength check: [roll0]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Logan growls and stands up, drinking a health potion of his own brew. So, these are the limits of his own power? He thought he was stronger than this...

[roll1]

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 01:59 AM
A face peers out of the window. An old man, his eyelids drooping. He was probably woken by that first slam. He snaps to wakefulness as he sees that his door is assailed by a Hellknight. And another on the street, and a smoking monster on the ground. He unbolts the door and admits you in. Emelie and Khalopsis wait for you and Lyn to go in.

A light approaches from the canal. the boatman returns, coming to the edge of the light. He is frightened by your appearance, but recognizes his latest customer. He doesn't approach though, unsure if it's safe. Lila peeks out of the door. The store seems safe. You can see lockpicks still in the lock, left their in the hurry of driving you off. Your daughter looks worried about your injuries. They are, however, more painful than lethal.

About a minute later, an out of breath Dottari rounds a corner, jogging at you.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 02:07 AM
Azrael shoves Lyn inside and steps in himself, letting Emelle and Khalopsis in behind him before he slams the door closed.

"Thank you for your hospitality, citizen. We will appreciate your cooperation as we quarter here for the night."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logan looks annoyed as the dottari finally approaches.

"So this is what it has come to, is it? A hardworking man, trying to protect his house, his business, and his family, is almost murdered in cold blood in the middle of the streets and no one does anything to stop it?"

He glares at the guard. "I pay my taxes to the empire like everyone else to put food on your table, so I expect you will come to my aid when the need arises. You did not."

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 02:18 AM
"She's barely standing" the old man says as Lyn staggers after the shove, slumping against the wall. You can see blood seeping out between the mangled plates.

The man slams the door shut and bolts it. "Of course you can do that. I'll see what I can do to accommodate you. he ambles to another room to fetch blankets. Emelie pulls off Lyn's helmet. She is in obvious pain, and paler than usual.

The Dottari hangs his head. "It's... It's not like its our fault." he says. "I do what I can. Now tell me what happened."

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 02:28 AM
Azrael sighs and crosses his arms. "Alright, so what did we learn..." he mutters to himself, his mind racing. "The creature that was controlling the others was here, in the city. The shades that it called weren't, they kind of drifted in and out. So if we could get a weapon that can actually harm spirits, we should have a much greater chance against those monsters."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not your fault?" Logan repeats, seething. He steps forward. "You are responsible for your own actions. You, and you alone. You could have reacted to the sounds of a full-out brawl between a wild animal and some stragglers faster than you did. You did not. Maybe your ears weren't keen enough. Maybe you weren't listening while you were on patrol. Or maybe you haven't been training enough and it just winded you to get over here. In any event, your actions are your fault, and yours alone. Do not try and distance yourself from your own responsibilities, soldier. Abadar will judge you for that."

"...I got off the boat and came up here. They were waiting to ambush me. Two halfling thugs, who dropped by my shop last night to threaten me. Turns out they were staking the place out. One of them cast an illusion of my shop to confound me, but I saw through it. I would have been able to slay them, but I was outclassed two against one. Then they used some sort of obscuring mist to run away."

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 02:47 AM
Emelie kneels down besides Lyn, fishing put a potion from her pouch. "Drink" she says. "You stubborn idiot…" she says, her tone soft in contrast to her words. "Why do you make me worried...?" she asks, tears in her eyes. Lyn drinks the potion and hugs Emelie. She looks at Azrael and nods her thanks. The bleeding stops.

"Next time, I will be better prepared as well. Maybe we can go to Ironwrought and ask."

The man returns with some blankets, struggling under their weight. "You lot are lucky to live. What drove you to that madness?"

The Dottari hangs his head lower at the harsh criticism. "I see. You're just like the others. You don't know how it is. We don't have enough people to patrol everywhere. Some take bribes….Even I have, when I started. Everyone did. The thieves' guild is actually legal, though their remit doesn't extend to burglaring. Or assault."

"Anyway, if you need healing, the temple of Asmodeus has a cleric on call at all times. I'll report this, and try to arrange a lookout for the rest of the night."

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 02:50 AM
Azrael sighs. "I wanted to know what was really haunting the streets. Everyone just runs from the shadow creatures, no one really even understands them or knows them. But I think... I think I might be able to start killing them."

Logan nods and heads to the temple for now. He thinks about what he should do about the guild on the way there. The words about bribes bother him, but for now, he can't go home looking like this. Lila will have a fit.

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 03:03 AM
"For a good reason. Look outside."
The shades are crowding the area outside. eyes floating in the darkness. Indistinct shapes amidst the shadows. One of them, more refined than the others, stands above the shadow beast. It reaches down, and suddenly swells as though it is drawing something from the beast. Its shape changes as it seems to absorb the essence of the beast, swelling and turning into more bestial proportion. The shades wander off. Or fade into the shadows to lie in wait. It's impossible to say.

"And that would be most welcome. I remember when I was young and streets were safe..."

The temple is open. A young priest is on healing duty. He fires off a litany of things, assuring that this is in no way going to damn your soul to hell or anything, and that healing services are free for the first time, and 5 gp for a casting of CLW, 5gp for casting Infernal Healing (totally safe, no need to worry about the name) and 30gp for Cure Moderate Wounds. He has 2, 2 and 2 available for casting.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-02, 12:34 PM
Azrael frowns. "Everyone get some sleep for now. I'm going to see Ironwrought in the morning."

Logan pays the man 5 gp for two castings of infernal healing.

Kallimakus
2018-09-02, 12:37 PM
"Right"

The young priest casts the spells, sprinkling your wounds with unholy water and chanting a prayer to Asmodeus. You feel a lot better afterwards.