PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next How to implement Elfen Lied abilities

MyOtherUserName
2018-08-18, 05:42 PM
I just watched the newest death battle and was like "elfen lied is a thing". Now I'm designing my world around a variation of the diclonians as the BBEG and minions. I'm struggling with their vector abilities. In the anime if you are ever touched you are dead or limbless basically, so long as the diclonian wished it. I feel like that'd be too much for d&d. How can I implement these abilities? Also diclonians will only be sub bosses or boss bosses.

I'm thinking there will be all kinds of variations on strengths, but they will all have the same base ability.

The severing capability:
Severing strike: +x to hit. use a xdy slashing damge to hit. On hit, severing strike has a 10% chance to sever a body part chosen at random.
Should this affect weapons and armor?

Then for the deflecting ability that the diclonians have I got:

Vector deflect (recharge 1d6:4,5,6): The Diclonian must perceive the attack or it hits like normal. If the attack is perceived, the diclonians can use its reaction to use its vectors to automatically block the attack. This works against criticals as well. The attack must be a physical, solid substance. So a fireball, the diclonian gets a dex save like normal. But a boulder, arrow, or sword is fair game.
Would you use this, or would you use an ability similar to the monks Deflect missiles ability but apply it to everything described.

And should I warn the players?

Lalliman
2018-08-19, 03:50 AM
I haven't seen Elfen Lied, but I'll appraise just based on what you've said.

Severing body parts doesn't play well with the implications of HP. HP is an abstraction, so you're not supposed to take any real bodily damage until you hit 0. It doesn't make sense to have your arm cut off and still have HP left, because realistically if you had your arm cut off you'd be incapacitated from the pain and bleeding out. Basically, you'd be at 0 HP.

So the best way to make this work with the existing system is to say: If this attack reduces you to 0 HP, a random body part is severed. This would make the encounter much scarier because dropping to 0 HP will permanently maim your character, or kill them instantly if you roll head.

If you want the Diclonius to be really scary, you can also add: If this attack is a critical hit, the target is immediately reduced to 0 HP and a random body part is severed. This will emphasise the cutting power of the vectors, and force the players to take special measures to avoid being decimated (e.g. disadvantage, adamantine armour, Death Ward).

And yes, you should absolutely warn your players about enemies that can permanently maim or instantly kill them, since they'll have no other way to see it coming and prepare for it.

As for the deflection, there exists a parrying ability that several NPCs (bandit captain, knight) have. Is there any reason to treat this differently?

Gnarlymuppet
2018-08-19, 04:37 AM
If it's the bbeg then your party will have time to find 1. Another monster to fight it or 2. A way to protect themselves from the severing strike. Or 3. If they're a real party they'll think of a way to kill it that you haven't considered.

Anything that OP is going to provoke intense chase fights. Use it like a sheep dog.

MyOtherUserName
2018-08-19, 02:55 PM
If it's the bbeg then your party will have time to find 1. Another monster to fight it or 2. A way to protect themselves from the severing strike. Or 3. If they're a real party they'll think of a way to kill it that you haven't considered.

Anything that OP is going to provoke intense chase fights. Use it like a sheep dog.

My world starts off with exactly zero magic then *poof* INSERT SEAL BREAKING EVENT HERE. So these creatures would then be unleashed upon the world. So maybe their (the party) first few encounters will only be scouting missions with the weaker members (the diclonians). Players get a glimpse of the capabilities of them (diclonians) then they can prepare appropriately. There will be a small amount of the Diclonians. So survival will be a very important part of their (diclonians) strategy. Including fleeing when things go awry.

MyOtherUserName
2018-08-19, 03:00 PM
I haven't seen Elfen Lied, but I'll appraise just based on what you've said.

Severing body parts doesn't play well with the implications of HP. HP is an abstraction, so you're not supposed to take any real bodily damage until you hit 0. It doesn't make sense to have your arm cut off and still have HP left, because realistically if you had your arm cut off you'd be incapacitated from the pain and bleeding out. Basically, you'd be at 0 HP.

So the best way to make this work with the existing system is to say: If this attack reduces you to 0 HP, a random body part is severed. This would make the encounter much scarier because dropping to 0 HP will permanently maim your character, or kill them instantly if you roll head.

If you want the Diclonius to be really scary, you can also add: If this attack is a critical hit, the target is immediately reduced to 0 HP and a random body part is severed. This will emphasise the cutting power of the vectors, and force the players to take special measures to avoid being decimated (e.g. disadvantage, adamantine armour, Death Ward).

And yes, you should absolutely warn your players about enemies that can permanently maim or instantly kill them, since they'll have no other way to see it coming and prepare for it.

As for the deflection, there exists a parrying ability that several NPCs (bandit captain, knight) have. Is there any reason to treat this differently?

I like this, I think I will incorporate this. 0 hp roll for severing including head. Critical drop to 0 roll for severing, but not head. I'll include on the tables options that don't amputate or maim as well and use lingering injuries. I think this will balance it out more.

As for the parry ability, Apparently I've never read that. This fits almost exactly what I'll want. Make the AC increase appropriate to the rank of the individual relative to their supposed strengths.

Thanks

Lalliman
2018-08-20, 01:55 AM
As for the parry ability, Apparently I've never read that. This fits almost exactly what I'll want. Make the AC increase appropriate to the rank of the individual relative to their supposed strengths.
The AC bonus from parrying is generally equal to the creature's proficiency bonus, just like the Defensive Duellist skill. Compare Bandit Captain and Marilith. You can also consider giving the Marilith's Reactive trait to the more powerful ones, to get more mileage out of the parry.

MyOtherUserName
2018-08-20, 05:56 PM
The AC bonus from parrying is generally equal to the creature's proficiency bonus, just like the Defensive Duellist skill. Compare Bandit Captain and Marilith. You can also consider giving the Marilith's Reactive trait to the more powerful ones, to get more mileage out of the parry.

Aaannnddddd now its perfect. You are awesome thanks. I guess I should spend some time studying the monster manual for cool abilities.