PDA

View Full Version : Graft-centric Character

Warchon
2018-08-18, 05:58 PM
Due to a discussion on another forum about a PC who lost an arm, I've been going through some of the rules on grafts.
While a lot of them are prohibitively, even unreasonably expensive, there's a fair number of grafts that are reasonably economical, provided you can get your hands (or claws or tentacles) on the components.
I think a character focused on making these permanent modifications to themselves and their party members would be flavorful and fun, is there a class that does particularly well with this strategy, while remaining a meaningful contributor to active adventuring?

I know Pale Master gets a number of grafts for free.
What about Artificer? Does the class discount on time/money in crafting apply to grafts?
Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts, or would a character have to be some awful combination like fiendish half-aboleth half yuan-ti with illithid heritage to gain full access?
For bonus points, if there's room to shoehorn the feat in, I think the Necrotic Tumor spells would complement this concept beautifully. Make the implantation of a tumor part of the bargain, or even put it in on the sly during the grafting process

mabriss lethe
2018-08-18, 06:24 PM
iirc, there are a few of the warforged grafts that don't actually require a "donor." They can simply be constructed and slapped on (arms and legs, I think, but I'm AFB, so I could be mistaken.)

Nifft
2018-08-18, 06:31 PM
I think a character focused on making these permanent modifications to themselves and their party members would be flavorful and fun, is there a class that does particularly well with this strategy, while remaining a meaningful contributor to active adventuring? Fleshwarper (Lords of Madness) gives you access to grafts of various types, and also some XP as a Craft Reserve -- that reduces part of the expense, at least.

I know Pale Master gets a number of grafts for free. Ew, awful class.

What about Artificer? Does the class discount on time/money in crafting apply to grafts? Grafts use the same rules as item creation, so you can pay for their XP with your Artificer Craft Reserve.

Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts Fleshwarper ignores that prereq for all the new types granted by the class. I suspect it's exactly what you want.

Warchon
2018-08-18, 06:40 PM
Fleshwarper does indeed look completely ideal, and the graft reserve is pretty generous to boot.
Gonna have to go diving into this one. :)

Nifft
2018-08-18, 06:46 PM
Fleshwarper does indeed look completely ideal, and the graft reserve is pretty generous to boot.
Gonna have to go diving into this one. :)

Here's one thread which was useful when I was looking at grafts: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12562.0

Falontani
2018-08-18, 06:47 PM
Ask if your dm is okay with artificers taking obtain familiar. If so artificer into fleshwarper is incredibly fun!

Goaty14
2018-08-18, 09:23 PM
Isn't there some sort of planar-binding demon/devil (Siribrex, IIRC???) that applies free grafts 3/day and is explicitly very happy to do so?

iTreeby
2018-08-18, 09:35 PM
Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts, or would a character have to be some awful combination like fiendish half-aboleth half yuan-ti with illithid heritage to gain full access?

I think changelings with racial emulation can get a buncha muncha cruncha grafts.

They can also arguably take warshaper super easily which combos with many grafts.