PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

Yogibear41
2018-08-18, 06:08 PM
You are playing a single classed Noble (from Dragonlance) from around level 6 to no particular maximum level(game goes until you TPK). Your main form of combat will be utilizing Use Magic Device to perform magic. What items do you buy and at what level to be able to perform in combat without being horrible.

iTreeby
2018-08-18, 06:38 PM
You are playing a single classed Noble (from Dragonlance) from around level 6 to no particular maximum level(game goes until you TPK). Your main form of combat will be utilizing Use Magic Device to perform magic. What items do you buy and at what level to be able to perform in combat without being horrible.

You basically have to cherry pick the best spells you can. Wands have a few advantages, they don't provoke and they aren't affected by ASF. I recommend you pick spells with lasting effects like grease or numbing sphere so that you can get more than one round of use per activation. You are going to have a tough time activating the wands methinks with your +13 umd to get that dc21+ UMD check regularly, so try to boost that as much as you can. there are a few wand feats but I'm not sure they are worth it. See if you can find a rod of wonder? Have fun healing everything with wands of vigor outside combat.

Nifft
2018-08-18, 07:11 PM
How much cheese are you looking for in this game?

Yogibear41
2018-08-18, 07:34 PM
How much cheese are you looking for in this game?

Its a glorified NPC class so bring it on.

Ruethgar
2018-08-18, 07:51 PM
I would get as much magic as I could from feats. That’s probably about nine zero level spells a day without spending inordinate resources. In 3.5 this can be quite potent especially with the Dragonlance cantrips feat.

Create Element is the big one and no need to UMD wands. Also apply side effects when you can.

Nifft
2018-08-18, 07:56 PM
Its a glorified NPC class so bring it on.

Okay.

UMD allows you to fake having daily resources -- the PHB example is triggering a Clerical item which consumes a Turn Undead attempt.

Spell slots are a daily resource. Pick up a Runestaff and cast spells (up to 3/day per spell, up to 9th level spells) by faking the spell slot resource. You still need to pay for GP and XP so it's not the most trivial form of game-breaking, but it's rather strong since you don't use up any daily resources.

If the NPC is good, the feat Ancestral Relic gets this NPC a Runestaff which scales up with NPC level.

Yogibear41
2018-08-18, 08:27 PM
I would get as much magic as I could from feats. That’s probably about nine zero level spells a day without spending inordinate resources. In 3.5 this can be quite potent especially with the Dragonlance cantrips feat.

Create Element is the big one and no need to UMD wands. Also apply side effects when you can.

What is the Dragonlance cantrips feat?

Okay.

UMD allows you to fake having daily resources -- the PHB example is triggering a Clerical item which consumes a Turn Undead attempt.

Spell slots are a daily resource. Pick up a Runestaff and cast spells (up to 3/day per spell, up to 9th level spells) by faking the spell slot resource. You still need to pay for GP and XP so it's not the most trivial form of game-breaking, but it's rather strong since you don't use up any daily resources.

If the NPC is good, the feat Ancestral Relic gets this NPC a Runestaff which scales up with NPC level.

Not familiar with this use of UMD will have to read up on it.

Ruethgar
2018-08-18, 09:40 PM
It was either Magical Affinity or Magicaly Adept. One was replace the gnome SLAs, can’t recall, the other was to give Int mod 0 level spells 1/day each.

Yogibear41
2018-08-19, 02:23 PM
It was either Magical Affinity or Magicaly Adept. One was replace the gnome SLAs, can’t recall, the other was to give Int mod 0 level spells 1/day each.

Can't seem to find either of these feats.

Endril
2018-08-19, 02:30 PM
You basically have to cherry pick the best spells you can. Wands have a few advantages, they don't provoke and they aren't affected by ASF. I recommend you pick spells with lasting effects like grease or numbing sphere so that you can get more than one round of use per activation. You are going to have a tough time activating the wands methinks with your +13 umd to get that dc21+ UMD check regularly, so try to boost that as much as you can. there are a few wand feats but I'm not sure they are worth it. See if you can find a rod of wonder? Have fun healing everything with wands of vigor outside combat.

I also think wands are a good place to start, but I thought the UMD check was a flat 20? And have you considered dual wand wielder?

Yogibear41
2018-08-19, 03:42 PM
I also think wands are a good place to start, but I thought the UMD check was a flat 20? And have you considered dual wand wielder?

DC 20 UMD to use wands, he talking about to emulate spells to use the runestaffs. DC 21 for CL 1st, 1st level 2 spells, CL 23 for CL 3rd 2nd level spells, and so on.