PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon: Shadows Unbound [IC]

BluesEclipse
2018-08-18, 10:48 PM
Lorenzo, Jehoash, Cooper

The sun is setting as you approach the entrance to Alyssum Village, streetlights illuminating the roadway into town. As you reach the gates and enter the security station, you reflect on recent events, both with the Order of Eternity and with your gym challenges in Orchid City. Commander Niven, the Nocturne Gym Leader, took Aron aside the day before you planned to depart, and discussed the situation with him hoping to come up with solutions the Rangers could use to better handle the growing Shadow Pokemon threat. Aron came to the decision that he would remain there, doing what he does best - researching the matter, and passing that knowledge along to others. With Niven's backing, he agreed to do a number of lectures at the Ranger Academy on Shadow Pokemon, what is known about their nature, their strengths and their weaknesses, as well as ways to try and recover them, so that the Ranger Corps could better control the threat across Gaira and the other regions.

Haruka, on the other hand, elected to return home to Lily Town, in part due to concern over the health of the Venomblade Gym Leader, Karina, after the battle there against the Order of Eternity - but primarily due to a plea from her parents to return and help at the ranch, due to Pokemon there starting to show signs of the darkness that signifies a Shadow Pokemon.

The five of you parted ways after a heartfelt farewell, and both Aron and Haruka agreed that they would only be a call or text away should you need their help - Aron still intending to pass along information to you regarding anything he can come up with on the Shadow Pokemon, and Haruka advising that you can send her any Pokemon that you won't be using on your current team, and she will keep them at the ranch, while the three of you headed north to Alyssum Village, knowing that Raikou's Den is to the north (though not exactly where).

The guard's voice jolts you out of your contemplation. "You're good to go," he says, motioning for you to put your Pokedexes away. "If you intend to challenge the gym, you should keep in mind that they're closed for the evening. The Center's just down the street, right at the main junction, and there's a decent hotel just around the corner from it if you want something a bit more than the cots there." Heading out of the security station, you see the Pokemon Center up ahead at an intersection, brightly lit, and trainers moving in and out of it.

Kara

As you head out of the Pokemon Center in Alyssum Village, you reflect on what brought you here. Your first Gym Badge, from down in Lily Town, was more a stroke of luck than anything - while you were there to cheer on the Cosmos High Charizards in the inter-school battle against the Lily Town Liepards, one of the other girls in the cheerleading squad challenged you and the rest of the squad to take on the Gym there, after some comments made by one of your friends regarding her boyfriend's performance in the arena. On a whim, you and your friends decided to give it a try, since the worst that could happen is that you'd lose. However, you pulled some lucky matchups, and managed to make it to and defeat the Gym Leader there, being one of the last few to get the badge from him before he named Karina Nola his successor.

Now, having gotten out of high school, you've come to realize that you might actually have what it takes to match the Gym Leaders, and the Elite Four... to be able to stand alongside the likes of Jakob Halen as an equal. So, after watching the Rebirth Festival matches, you made your preparations and headed out, traveling north from Cosmos up to Orchid City and challenging the Nocturne Gym there. It took a few attempts, but you were able to push through and get a second badge there, before continuing up towards Alyssum Village and the gym it holds. The trip was not without its detours, though - having heard rumors of wild Dittos being sighted partway between the two towns, you spent a couple of weeks exploring before finally locating a Ditto of your own.

Finally, though, you've arrived in Alyssum Village - unfortunately, as you needed to stop at the Center, you weren't able to get to the Magma Gym before it closed for the evening. Stepping out from the Center with the intention of looking around, you notice a group of three people coming in from the security checkpoint at the town gates. One of them seems rather nondescript at this range, but one of them seems to be carrying a large club for some reason, and the third is wearing a leotard, of all things. Your first thought is that he looks like some kind of circus act.

Esprit15
2018-08-19, 03:26 AM
"A cot is more than enough for me," the rather feminine looking young man says, lightly bowing in thanks to the man. Behind him floats a white Pokemon that gives off an unnaturally chilly aura in the immediate area, though its trainer seem to not mind it. "Sorry Bow, I was looking forward to a gym battle as well. You all showed your skill though in Venomblade, so take pride in that.

What about you all?" the elementalist says to the others. "Gym battle in the morning, or look into things first?"

MesiDoomstalker
2018-08-19, 07:05 PM
Lorenzo stretched till he heard a satisfying crack from his back. He still wasn't used to roughing it on foot even after all this time. Well, cots are a step up over some straw on the ground. We can take a look at the gym tomorrow and see if anyone has any info on... the thing were looking for. He stopped himself before he blurted out why they were here. Less people knew the better.

SwordChucks
2018-08-20, 07:58 PM
Kara makes a combee-line for the group, eager to take her mind off of the disappointment of not being able to challenge the gym today.

"Are you performers? Are you putting on a show tonight? I was going to challenge the gym but I got here too late so I don't have much to do." She says rapidly while shifting her weight from foot to foot.

"Oh! I'm Kara by the way." She says after remembering her manners.

Kara looks like the platonic ideal of a cheerleader. She's a little above average height for a girl her age at 5' 7" with an athletic build. Her long brown hair is pulled back in a pony tail and she has a purple-pink bag on her shoulder. She wears a red and blue tee shirt with a charizard mascot and a blue skirt.

Esprit15
2018-08-21, 10:43 AM
”I can’t speak for the others, but I certainly don’t have the grace to be a performer. I’m more of a... wilderness guide? I guess that would be the most apt descriptor.”

Jacior
2018-08-21, 09:40 PM
Cooper nods behind the two, stretching in the night air and trying to avoid swing himself around so much that his club smashed into stuff. "Gym tomorrow it is then fellas. Though if we're to be proper adventurer's I think you'd best get ready for a lot of nights in sleeping bags!" He claps the two on the back before this peppy girl approaches them. "We're professional adventurers! Or... Well I am I guess. These are my trainees!" He ribbed the pair gently. "I'm just kidding, mostly! Cooper Fareach at your service little lady!"

MesiDoomstalker
2018-08-22, 09:45 PM
Lorenzo blinked in surprise at the woman's energetic introduction. Uh, I suppose I'm a performer. But I'm don't have a performance planned anytime soon. I'm Lorenzo Filiard, current Freelance Acrobat, at your service. He bowed deep, a well practiced theatrical bow.

SwordChucks
2018-08-23, 03:41 PM
"A wilderness guide, a professional adventurer, and a freelance acrobat? Neat! Are you all here for the gym too?

Kara pauses a moment while staring at Lorenzo with a puzzled look on her face. She brightens when she gets a sudden flash of realization.

"OMA! You were in the Rebirth Festival! Did you meet Jakob? Was he as dreamy in person?" She locks eyes with Lorenzo with a look of intensity that only a teen in love can match.

MesiDoomstalker
2018-09-01, 06:58 PM
Lorenzo laughed awkwardly at the girls..... enthusiasm for Jakob. Ya, I met Jakob. Though dreamy wouldn't be the word I'd use.

Esprit15
2018-09-01, 08:53 PM
Jehoash leans next to Lorenzo. ”Was I with you guys by then?”

MesiDoomstalker
2018-09-01, 11:01 PM
No, that was a while before that. The festival was where all this weirdness with Shadow pokemon and the Shards started.

BluesEclipse
2018-09-02, 09:10 PM
Lorenzo, Jeohash, Cooper, Kara

As you converse with Kara, you begin making your way towards the Pokemon Center, the cheerleader following behind. Pausing in your conversation for a moment, you each pass over your Pokemon for treatment, and are directed to the Center's waiting area. The area is well-furnished, with a bank of computers along one wall inside individual cubicles, allowing for easy access to the PC system as well as for anything else guests might need to do that can't be done through a Pokedex, while another wall has a couple of TVs set up - one currently showing the news, with another broadcasting coverage of this week's fishing contest in Lily Town. A number of couches and comfortable chairs are arranged around, with coffee tables scattered about, and a trio of vending machines sit in the corner - one for snacks, one for cold drinks, and one for hot beverages with a notice that coffee is available at no cost to visitors. A water cooler sits next to that, a rack of paper cups between the two for easy access.

The waiting area is all but empty when you come in, though there is one young man sitting in one of the chairs who glances up as you come in - a teen who appears to be about Kara's age, with a high-end backpack sitting on the ground next to his chair, and what appears to be a rifle strapped in a holster on the side of it. On a table next to him is what appears to be a well-designed plastic case, and he has a leather-bound journal balanced on his knee, a silver pen in his hand.

Drew

As you sit down in the waiting room of the Pokemon Center, you take a moment to collect your thoughts while your Pokemon are being treated. You've always known that the Magma Gym would be a particular challenge, but you've taken a number of opportunities to observe the leader in action, building a profile on him and on his most frequently used Pokemon. With the training and experience you've gotten, you feel that you're about ready to give the gym a try - opening up your journal, you begin penning down a couple of your most recent observations regarding Malcolm Thorpe, to make sure you've got all the data there when the time comes, however.

Your thoughts are interrupted by the sounds of conversation as you see a group entering the waiting area - you quickly take note of their eclectic outfits and gear. One man in what appears to be a leotard, another with blue hair and a third carrying a massive club, along with a girl in a cheerleader's outfit. You've certainly seen odd individuals before, but most groups that have unusual dress or equipment are at least consistent about it. Nonetheless, there's something about the three guys that tugs at the corner of your memory a bit.

Eonn
2018-09-02, 09:20 PM
Drew caps his pen, knowing he's not going to get much more writing down now that others are here. He sets his journal aside as well, leaving it open so that the ink can dry undisturbed.

"Hey." He greets. "You guys from out of town?" It's less of a question and more of an observation, but it's still a nice way to start up some small talk.

Esprit15
2018-09-03, 11:37 PM
"A ways, yeah," says Jehoash. "You?"

Eonn
2018-09-03, 11:53 PM
Not very talkative this one is, Drew thinks.

"I was born here, but left to become a professional trainer. Now I'm back in town to pick up my badge, but I'll be leaving again soon." Says Drew, but he's a lot less comfortable about his upcoming battle than he lets himself sound.

"I suppose you're going to be looking to take on Thorpe as well?"

SwordChucks
2018-09-04, 12:14 AM
"I'm Kara from Cosmos City. Go 'zards!" she says with a smile.

"I'm going to try the gym here tomorrow. Actually, it seems like most of us are planning on doing that. Maybe we can all go together? It's been pretty lonely traveling alone up until now."

Eonn
2018-09-04, 03:45 PM
"The name's Drew. I'll be seeing you around then, even if we don't join up." The teen begins thinking, and cracks a smile. "Hey, since you're all here for the gym, how 'bout a friendly battle? A one on one, no cash wager just to see who has the better poké. My mon should be done with their check up soon."

Esprit15
2018-09-04, 04:06 PM
"I'd be down. Outside work?"

Eonn
2018-09-04, 04:21 PM
"It'll have to. Gym's closed and I don't know how many people would tolerate a fight inside. Name's Drew, by the way." Drew then turns to grab his book and plucks a bookmark from the cover. Bound to the book by a length of ribbon, the flat piece of silvery metal is placed into the current page without a second thought by Drew. The book is then stashed in it's case, which in turn finds its place within his bag.

"Just got to wait to get my pokés back and we can start."

SwordChucks
2018-09-04, 04:31 PM
"Sounds like fun. I'll just watch if that's alright. I want my team well rested before going to the gym." Kara says as she digs into her handbag and pulls out a pair of pink pom poms and her pokedex.

Esprit15
2018-09-04, 07:06 PM
"It'll have to. Gym's closed and I don't know how many people would tolerate a fight inside. Name's Drew, by the way." Drew then turns to grab his book and plucks a bookmark from the cover. Bound to the book by a length of ribbon, the flat piece of silvery metal is placed into the current page without a second thought by Drew. The book is then stashed in it's case, which in turn finds its place within his bag.

"Just got to wait to get my pokés back and we can start."

The blue haired young man offers a hand to Drew. ”Jehoash Kelvin.” The man’s grip is surprisingly firm for such a lanky build. He overall looks like someone who travels prepared. Over his shoulder is slung a pack that looks like it contains outdoors equipment, and on his forehead appears to be a set of goggles. “Well, in the interest of openness, I tend to specialize in Water, Fire, and Ice types, though I am more of a full contact kind of guy.”

Eonn
2018-09-04, 07:41 PM
Drew accepts the handshake. Despite being a professional trainer, Drew (along with his clothes and equipment) are well kept and lack the look of someone or something that has been on the road for that long.

"Nice to meet you. I specialize in good pokémon, no matter the type. Honestly, all pokés can be good with the right trainer, so I really didn't tell you much there. Full contact? You from Esper?" Says the brown haired teen.

Esprit15
2018-09-04, 07:53 PM
”Yep! Libra was home, but I left when I started my Pokémon journey. Found I never had the head for it, and eventually took to just backpacking around the regions. Settled down outside of Lily, by the lake, was there for a good seven-ish years before these guys came across my lawn. We kinda hit it off, and now I’m traveling with them.” It doesn’t take a particularly keen sense of people to know that there’s probably more going on with him than that, but someone of such keenness would also know that it’s as much as a stranger of five minutes is going to get.

Eonn
2018-09-04, 08:47 PM
Drew nods, and with his bag slung over his back goes to collect his pokémon.

"Sounds cool. I'll meet you outside in just a sec!"

Esprit15
2018-09-04, 10:02 PM
The two trainers mark out a roughly 15mx20m area, most of the available area in the street. "Anything besides trainer interference goes, I assume?" Jehoash asks, tossing a ball in his hand.
"Fair to me! You know, probably shouldn't have mentioned what you specialize in!" Drew calls back, picking out a ball of his own.
Kara runs to the middle of the makeshift battlefield, while a couple of late night passers-by begin to gather and watch the competition. "This will be a one on one Pokemon battle, no trainer interference! The battle will be decided upon unconsciousness!" The cheerleader runs off to the sideline. "And... begin!"

Both sides release their Pokemon at the same time. From Drew, a roughly waist high, purple rabbit with sharp spines covering its body is sent out, looking eager to go. From Jehoash, a similarly sized red octopus is sent out, more relaxed but never-the-less attentive. "Alright! Cobalt, get in there and use Poison Sting!" The Nidorino runs forward, leaping at the end and firing a barrage of small needles at the Octillery, pretty easily finding their mark on the slow moving Water type.
"Bobbery, no time for taking it slow. Back off, take aim, and use Psybeam!" Hm, that hit harder than he would have liked. No time to set up, too risky. The Octillery fires a focused beam of psychic energy at the Nidorino. Jehoash smirks. He should have put money on this. Bobbery begins to back away, but not enough. The Nidorino keeps moving forward. "You sure your boy can take another hit like that?"
"There's not going to be another hit like that!"
"Show me then!"
"That's the spirit!"

As the battle starts out hot, Lorenzo and Cooper stand by the sidelines. "He doesn't know who he's dealing with, does he?" Lorenzo says quietly to Cooper.
"I mean I barely do! We're getting dinner after this right? Walking all day builds up an appetite," Cooper says back

"Thunderbolt!" The Poison-type crackles with electricity, while both Bobbery and Jehoash's eyes go slightly wide... As does the attack. "Well, that was a lot of flash for nothing."
"Had me nervous there. Bobbery, finish him off, same as before." Unfortunately, the stress of nearly being fried has the Octillery distracted, and the Nidorino is easily able to duck under the blast of energy.

"Alright Cobalt, we have another chance! Drill Run!" The Nidorino braces itself on the ground before aiming low and charging in at the Water-type, ripping well into it.
One last shot. "Alright, let's do this right! Psybeam, hit those weak points!" And, though barely, the Psybeam strikes true, knocking the Nidorino to the ground. Jehoash quietly lets out a deep breath. "Good match!" Jehoash says, hefting the Nidorino and carrying it towards its trainer. "Had me nervous when you called out thunderbolt."

"Good job you two! That was exciting!" calls Kara from the sidelines as the watchers begin to disperse.

Eonn
2018-09-04, 10:10 PM
"Ah, man." Drew says, scooping up his unconcious pokémon. "How are we going to get more badges when you can only take one super effective attack? Back to the pokémon center then."

The teen takes a few steps towards the center before turning back.

"Good fight. It'll take more than one good water type to get a badge from the leader though. You got any plans for the rest of the day? I know a good place to get some grub."

Esprit15
2018-09-04, 10:59 PM
"Heh, you should see some other mons I run, then. Bobbery is really my all out attacker. The others tend to play a bit more... mischievously. That said, Octillery are known for their wide movepool. If there was any Water-type that could solo a gym, it would be Bobbery." Jehoash says proudly. Bobbery gives a sort of salute at his trainer's acknowledgement. "Food would be great!"

Eonn
2018-09-04, 11:33 PM
"Yeah, I know mischievous." Drew says, thinking of his dark type poké in particular. "Cobalt is a mixed sweeper, so it would make sense he'd loose to a dedicated attacker. Anyhow, this guys getting heavy. I'll be right back."

Drew then heads back inside the center to give Cobalt back to one of the nurses. He could easily get dinner by the time his treatment is done.

Back outside, he prepares to lead his new companions to grab some grub.

"So what are you guys looking to get? Diner fare, sandwiches? I know a few good places around here." He'll lead on as soon as he knows what's wanted. He has enough money so that he's not going to have to worry either.

BluesEclipse
2018-09-07, 10:21 PM
After dropping Bobbery and Cobalt off with the Center receptionist for further treatment, you all head out for food, Drew guiding you to the Rocket Diner. A quick meal later, and you make your way back to the Pokecenter, Jehoash and Drew reclaiming their Pokemon, and the five of you finding some of the cots they keep available for travelling trainers. The night passes uneventfully, and you awake in the morning, you can see the sun shining through the window, wisps of cloud occasionally passing across it.

The weather is Normal.

Eonn
2018-09-07, 11:08 PM
Drew rolls out of the cot and stretches. The night was much more comfortable than the ones he spends with only his sleeping bag between him and the ground, but he does miss the privacy his tent affords him. He retrieves his journal from his bag and flips automatically to a section detailing exercise and training routines. He has one unique to each of his team members, forged from years of trial and error. It's actually quite interesting to Drew to flip back a few pages and see the first set of training he recorded for Pyre, who was just a little 'mander back then. Smiling from the nostalgia, Drew collects his balls and steps outside to begin training, moving silently as not to wake any who still may be sleeping.

Esprit15
2018-09-08, 01:21 PM
When Jehoash wakes, he quickly hops out of his cot and makes his way outside. As the sun peaks out over the horizon, he lets out his team: an Octillery, a Litwick, a Froslass, and a rather frightful looking spectral fish reminiscent of a Chinchou (picture a humpback anglerfish). "Alright everyone, morning training!" Which after stretching starts with a solid 5k jog through town (a rather tough feat for a team that is half Water-type). Once everyone is feeling a good burn to them, Jehoash pairs them up for sparring with one another: Bow and Bobbery, Vivian and Watt.
Training, everyone gains 6 EXP, apply Brutal Training

"I see you're up early too, Drew," Jehoash calls over as the Pokemon reach a point where his attention can waver. The trainer at this point is practicing longsword forms with what appears to be a club made entirely of ice.

Eonn
2018-09-08, 03:13 PM
"Yeah, you got to be." Replies Drew as he surveys his own pokémon. A charmeleon is squaring off several yard apart from Cobalt. Each let loose a burst of energy which collides midway between them, which is then pushed back and forth in a dangerous tug 'o war like exercise. The charmeleon focuses on a sustained flamethrower while Cobalt switches between ice, electricity and bursts of venomous quills.

In a much less flashy display, two scythers duel within melee range, each trying to tap the other with their long talons without being touched in return. One of the bug pokémon duels with slashes and cuts while the second employs jabs and parries over actually clashing blades.

It's a lot going on at once, but Drew has become accustomed to watching over these training sessions. He keeps an eye on Cobalt for any lasting injury or fatigue, but for the most part his pokés know the drill by now.

"Can't ever slack, after all, even with a big battle on the horizon. Plus, town gets busy as people start waking up so it's best to get this done early."

Pyre-
Agility Training
Focused Training
Raising Special Attack
22xp gained.

Cobalt-
Agility Training
Focused Training
Raising Attack
21xp gained.

Nyx-
Agility Training
Inspired Training
Raising Speed
21xp gained.

Stryke-
Agility Training
Inspired Training
Raising Attack
20xp gained.

Esprit15
2018-09-08, 03:39 PM
”True, true. Personally I just like getting up before it gets too hot. Cool air reminds me of home.” The lanky man makes a thrust with the club, then pulls it back and fluidly follows it up with a diagonal slash. “You much of a fighter?”

Eonn
2018-09-08, 05:02 PM
"I know a bit about self defence, but that's about it. I've always wondered, why fight at all? Most pokémon can outmatch even the best fighters, so wouldn't your time be better spent training your team? I just seems backwards to me, to think you can take a pokémon on." Drew replies, his gaze wandering only far enough from his team to capture details of the other pokémon to inscribe into his journal later.

MesiDoomstalker
2018-09-08, 07:07 PM
Lorenzo was already awake and out the door before either of them, running some routine drills. After getting nice and limbered up, Lorenzo approached the other two. Heya Drew. Any plans for today?

Training and all that jazz.

Eonn
2018-09-08, 07:26 PM
Drew glances back to the doors of the pokécenter. He had sworn he was the first out, but leave it to another experienced trainer to wake even earlier than him. He shrugs, despite everything waking early was not a contest he wanted to start.

"Breakfast." He says. "Then... the gym. You trying to challenge the leader your first day in town?"

Esprit15
2018-09-08, 09:41 PM
Jehoash smirks and gives the rod of ice a toss up in the air. Before the ice even leaves his grip, flames begin to trail behind his right hand, and as the ice reaches its apex, the wiry trainer flings a ball of flame at the ice, which explodes as the ball hits it. (The attentive would recognize the move as Flame Burst).

”Because handling yourself in a fight is an Esper tradition that goes back a long time. There may be a time in your life where you don’t have a Pokémon to save you, after all.” With a flick of his wrist, Jehoash summons another staff of ice and resumes practicing forms. Slash, parry, thrust, parry... “After all, some of the legends say that humans and Pokémon at one point were one and the same. Why shouldn’t I train just as hard as my Pokémon?”

The trainer moves to swing behind him, only to stop and slightly stumble as he tries to arrest his momentum. ”Hey Lorenzo. Uh... morning.”

Eonn
2018-09-08, 10:43 PM
"I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in those legends. Most people can't throw fireballs, though, so most people would be better off training pokémon to help them." Says Drew with a shrug.

Esprit15
2018-09-09, 08:08 PM
”Sure. That’s why they’re training.” he says, poking the gymnast with the ice club. “So, Magma Gym after breakfast? Beat up some Fire and Ground mons, make some gym trainers cry?”

SwordChucks
2018-09-09, 08:34 PM
Kara heads outside with the rest of the trainers after spending her time getting her face on. She sets up a place for her and her pokemon near enough to the others to get a good view but far enough away to avoid any stray attacks.

"Hey guys! Anyone want me to groom their pokemon? Afterwards I was going to cook something up for my 'mons if anyone's interested."
She releases her pokemon sets about grooming them. Brushing any knots out of Millicent's fur, preening Henrietta's feathers, sieving Xerox of dirt, and making sure Umbra's spikes are immaculate.

Grooming results:
Millicent: Fabulous, 21 exp gained, inspired training (+1 Evasion and +2 to save checks)

Henrietta: Gorgeous, 22 exp gained, inspired training (+1 Evasion and +2 to save checks)

Xerox: Ambiguous, 20 exp gained, inspired training (+1 Evasion and +2 to save checks)

Umbra: Dashing, 21 exp gained, inspired training (+1 Evasion and +2 to save checks)

Eonn
2018-09-09, 10:18 PM
Drew goes quiet as the gym is mentioned again, simply listening to the banter of the others for awhile. "You want to go to the gym together?" He finally says. "It's more fun when you have people cheering you on."

Jacior
2018-09-10, 07:57 PM
Cooper drags himself from their room, sluggish and eyes closed heading for the diner, his clothes thrown on but hair uncombed or anything really. Of all things, it didn't seem he was a morning person. After managing to get 4 cups of coffee and scarfing down breakfast for him and his pokemon, he went back to the center for the open training grounds. "Morning folks. Remind me to get a thermos for the road..." Before starting up a surprisingly vigorous morning routine for him and his pokemon. Mostly bodyweight exercises, sometimes using each other's actual bodies for extra weight.

Aldin: 22 exp
Cap: 21 exp
Ferdinand: 21 exp
Sensi: 20 exp

All get Brutal and Agility Training, all get +1 Attack Combat Stage

Cooper seems much more like himself after exercising and stretches. "So! Wait for the gym to open up and try our hands then fellows?!" Jovial and loud, he clapped Jehoash and Lorenzo on the back with some vigor. "I have some energy to spare after that battle last night! Nothing like a good battle to invigorate you for more battle eh?" He guffawed loudly.

BluesEclipse
2018-09-15, 08:15 PM
You all go through your varied morning rituals, Kara grooming and preparing snacks for her Pokemon, Cooper and Drew focusing on training their Pokemon, while Lorenzo and Jehoash train alongside their Pokemon. Finally, your preparations complete, you make your way towards Alyssum Village's gym, Drew leading the group. You find that the gym is located on the western side of town, near the walls there, and seems to be made largely of a dark stone.

Entering the gym, a receptionist looks up from a desk near the doors and smiles as Drew enters, greeting him happily - and with quite a bit of familiarity. "Good morning, Drew!" she begins, nodding at the trainer in the front of your group before blinking for a moment as the rest of you file in. "I take it you're back for some more training... most of the upstairs rooms are open, so go on ahead." Turning towards the others who entered behind Drew, she then says, "Hello, all of you, and welcome to the Magma Gym! Are you interested in getting some practice in, or are you trying to complete the Gym Challenge?"

SwordChucks
2018-09-15, 08:36 PM
"Hello ma'am, I'm here for a badge." Kara says with a fire in her eyes.

Eonn
2018-09-15, 08:44 PM
"I'm here for my badge too, Karen. Who's accepting battle right now?" Says Drew in an aggressive tone that might have been taken as an offence if he and Karen weren't already familiar.

Esprit15
2018-09-15, 09:03 PM
"Gym challenge," Jehoash says. "Do you guys do group trials, here?"

MesiDoomstalker
2018-09-15, 10:17 PM
I'm here for a Gym Challenge as well. We all are, I believe.

BluesEclipse
2018-09-16, 04:22 PM
"Oh," Karen replies to Drew, "You've finally decided to go for it, then? Great! Let me pull up your info and I'll get you set up..." She begins typing some information into the computer in front of her, her gaze shifting to the rest of you as she does. "We've got all our staff in today, so we can accommodate all of you at once - at least until you get to the point where you can challenge Leader Thorpe. If you'll bring out your Pokedexes, I'll get your trainer info loaded so that we can get you started... Drew, you can go on ahead to battle room 5, your opponent will be waiting there."

As you all hand over your Pokedexes, she quickly connects them to the PC for a moment, pulling up each of your trainer data. "Lorenzo Filard... I heard that you were the first one to beat Karina, down in Lily Town - before the unpleasantness there with those Order of Eternity folks. I hope she's doing better after all of that. And let's see... Jehoash Kelvin... Cooper Farreach... and Kara Kay. Got it..." She hands each of you your Pokedexes back, then turns back to the computer for a bit longer before nodding. "Well, you've got two badges each - and the same badges, no less. That simplifies things. You all know how these things work, but just as a note, the battles here are 3 Pokemon each, with the Gym representative needing to use one of each of our types - here, that would be the Ground and Fire types. Trainers are permitted to direct their Pokemon, but cannot do anything that affects the field itself or either Pokemon. That includes the effects of your prior badges. There are height and depth limits for flight and burrowing, but the rooms are designed with those in mind, with the ceilings being 10M high, and any lowered areas extending down no further than 10M below floor level. You aren't required to declare your Pokemon at the start of the match, but once you release a Pokemon into battle, it's locked in as part of the challenge even if you switch it out later - switching out a Pokemon, though, doesn't necessarily forfeit it, so long as it can still fight. You'll each need to register three wins against gym trainers here before you can challenge the Leader, though any losses to our trainers won't count against you in that regard." As she finishes, her computer pings, and she looks at it before nodding.

"Alright, everything is ready for you - just head down the elevator over there and select the basement floor. That's where our battle arenas are located, with the upper floor containing training facilities, and our medical facilities and other things being on ground level here. Once you get off the elevator, Miss Kay and Mister Kelvin will want to head left - Miss Kay, you're in battle room 1, while you have battle room 2, Mister Kelvin - it'll be just across from room 1 to the left of the elevator. Mister Farreach is in battle room 4, on the right, and Mister Filard will be in battle room 6 at the end of the hall on the right. If you have any other questions, either I or the gym trainer you'll be facing can answer them for you - and the battles are monitored remotely, so if you need a referee's input, just say so and they'll respond via intercom." After confirming that nobody has any further questions, Drew leads you all to the elevator, taking you down to the arena level - in front of the elevator is a large double door with the Magma Gym Badge emblazoned on the front. A placard on the door reads "Magma Gym Leader: Malcolm Thorpe. Challenge Record: 183 Wins, 32 Losses". Splitting off in your assigned directions, you easily find the arenas each of you has been directed to, and enter, finding trainers waiting in the rooms for you.

BluesEclipse
2018-09-23, 09:07 PM
After your battles in the gym, each of you makes your way back out to the lobby - Lorenzo and Jehoash, having claimed their first victories over they gym, are upbeat, while Drew, Kara and Cooper realize that this gym is every bit the challenge expected. As you meet up with one another, you're led to the gym's medical facility, with a small waiting room there for you all to sit down and relax in while your teams are healed up, allowing you an opportunity to decide what you intend to do now.

Everyone receives 1 Trainer XP. Lorenzo and Jehoash receive 1 additional Trainer XP.

Esprit15
2018-09-23, 10:22 PM
”Just us two? Dang, I’d have expected at least three of us to make it...” The elementalist shrugs. He hadn’t pegged himself as one of the better trainers among everyone. “Well, do we want to stick around here for the leadermatches, or do we go and-“ he quickly glances over to Kara and Drew. Right, new faces, not necessarily allies. “Do we go our seperate ways? I think Cooper had something he needed to attend to, and you guys don’t have to stick around for that.”

Eonn
2018-09-23, 11:28 PM
Drew scribes detailed descriptions of the attacks he witnessed into his journal, reformulating his strategy all the while.

"Pyre didn't have a good way to deal damage," He murmurs to himself. "While Stryke didn't have the staying power to take advantage of his superior offensive and speed. Cobalt did the best, but couldn't make up for the other weaknesses..."

He then flips through his journal, letting his glimmering silver bookmark hang from it's ribbon as he does so. Though there is no real order to the pages, he quickly finds what he is looking for. "Ah, Ancient Power, my old friend." It was a technique that he knew char's could learn, but that he could not teach to Pyre despite his best efforts. It would be quite helpful to have now, maybe worth tracking down someone who actually knew what they were doing as well.

As for Stryke, the most obvious thing to do would be to evolve her. Drew didn't want to to that quite yet, however. There were just certain advantages a scyther held over a scizor, after all. Maybe some kind of protective gear, something to blunt the force of the rocks. It would cost some money, but Drew was willing to shell out some cash to keep his pokémon safe. "So a tutor, then a trip to the market." Drew announces to no one in particular. Then, maybe a bit of tutoring for Cobalt as well just to round him out some.

To the other trainer, Drew replies: "My pokémon performed admirably, though the fight was essentially decided by three coin flips I only needed one to land in my favor, but unfortunately none seemed to." And he definitely wasn't salty about it or anything.

"We just might be saying goodbye though. I need to track down a skilled move tutor, and I've already put it off too long. I must challenge this gym leader, and I will not lose to Malcolm."

MesiDoomstalker
2018-09-25, 10:17 PM
I think I'll keep pushing the gym here. I like momentum.

Esprit15
2018-09-25, 10:23 PM
"Good luck finding that," Jehoash says with a nod. "I'm stuck here until they take my whole team down, and that's a hard thing to do."

SwordChucks
2018-09-27, 08:00 PM
"What a bummer. I'm going to look for a new addition to my team, hopefully a water type. When we get back we'll try again." Kara says the last bit with a raised fist.

Spending $200 to make super bait and looking for a nearby water source.

Jacior
2018-09-29, 07:42 AM
Cooper shrugs. "Terrible matchup for me! All my pokemon are weak to fire. I just thought we could overcome that. It's frustrating but nothing that a little hunting couldn't fix with some effort!" Cooper claps Jehoash on the back before stopping. "Wait... I don't know what I have to do... Um..." He leans in close to whisper. "Can you remind me? My memory is escaping me this morning, even after coffee and a battle!"

Esprit15
2018-09-29, 12:25 PM
Cooper shrugs. "Terrible matchup for me! All my pokemon are weak to fire. I just thought we could overcome that. It's frustrating but nothing that a little hunting couldn't fix with some effort!" Cooper claps Jehoash on the back before stopping. "Wait... I don't know what I have to do... Um..." He leans in close to whisper. "Can you remind me? My memory is escaping me this morning, even after coffee and a battle!"

”Investigation,” Jehoash says simply.

SwordChucks
2018-10-01, 07:44 PM
Kara turns to Cooper "Oh, maybe we can go looking together."

Jacior
2018-10-01, 07:46 PM
"Oh!" Cooper says, catching on right as Kara offers to go hunting with him. "I... think we're gonna be busy for a bit?" He looks between Jehoash and Kara, unsure who to blow off right now.

Esprit15
2018-10-01, 07:56 PM
"Oh!" Cooper says, catching on right as Kara offers to go hunting with him. "I... think we're gonna be busy for a bit?" He looks between Jehoash and Kara, unsure who to blow off right now.

”I’ve still got two trainers and a gym leader to battle. You’ve got plenty of time.”

Jacior
2018-10-03, 03:09 PM
"Oh! Ok! Excellent. To pokemon hunting then!" Cooper says with a wide grin.

Eonn
2018-10-03, 03:54 PM
"You guys have fun, then! We might run into each other later if you plan on challenging the gym again." Drew says, ready to hike out on his own to track down a tutor.

BluesEclipse
2018-10-05, 10:58 PM
After a wait, your Pokemon are brought out to you, in full health and ready to go once again. With that, you find yourselves splitting off, with Jehoash and Lorenzo approaching Karen to get their second matches set up, while the rest of you head off. Drew splits off from the other two, heading off to look for a couple of people in town that he knows offer tutoring services, but not before commenting to Kara and Cooper that there's a pond a couple of hours west of town if they're looking for water Pokemon.

SwordChucks, Jacior, I'll need wild rolls (d100) from you both - I'll also need to know whether you want to take the time to head out to the pond Drew mentioned, or look for Pokemon closer to town.

Eonn, I'll need a d100 roll from you as well, regarding the move tutor search.

BluesEclipse
2018-10-17, 01:51 PM
Drew

You set out, looking around town for someone who might be able to teach your Pokemon some additional moves. You know of a couple of people in town who are decent at that, but it's a matter of finding people who can teach the specific moves you're looking for. Finally, you come across one of the town's tutors that you know of - Emily Wallace, a breeder who helps the gym out on occasion. As you approach her, she smiles, and says, "Oh, hi, Drew! How've you been?"

Kara, Cooper

After taking a moment to make some bait, you head out the west entrance of town, looking for the pond that Drew mentioned to you. It doesn't prove too difficult to find, and you lay out some bait, settling down a short distance away to wait for Pokemon to show up. It doesn't take long for you to see a response - after about 20 minutes, a group of three orange furred Pokemon swim to the lake shore, and walk up out of the water towards your bait. The four-legged Pokemon all have two tails, blue fins on their arms, and what looks to be a ruff of yellow fur around their necks. As they chitter to one another, sniffing at the bait, you notice a larger Pokemon coming out of the water behind them - it looks similar, except in its size and the fact that the yellow fur on its body seems to run farther down its sides, rather than encircling its neck.

Eonn
2018-10-17, 02:43 PM
"Fine, fine. Well, finding that my team's combined weakness to the types in dad's gym is less overcomeable than I first thought. Other than that pretty good though. Getting badges, adding to my team." Says Drew in response. "How has business been?"

BluesEclipse
2018-10-17, 03:08 PM
Drew

"It's been great, actually," Emily responds, a smile on her face. "But I won't bore you with the details... I'm glad to hear you're finally taking on the gym here. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out a way around the type issue. Anyway, was there something that your father needed from me? New Pokemon for the gym?"

SwordChucks
2018-10-17, 08:49 PM
Kara scans the larger pokemon with her pokedex. She gets a look of determination in her eyes as she whispers to Cooper "I want to try to talk the big guy into joining me. If that doesn't work we should start being more aggressive."

Kara casually walks from her hiding spot and approaches the group of pokemon. When she reaches about 60ft away she calls out sweetly "Like the taste? I made that you know. My pokemon eat like that everyday."
The look returns to her face as she calls out again.
"If you're willing to team up with me and do your best in pokemon battles, then I'll take care of you, feed and groom you, and train you to your potential."
She holds up an ultra ball. "Whataya say?"

Eonn
2018-10-17, 09:10 PM
"No, actually I'm looking for something for myself. I've head of Chars being able to use the move Ancient Power, but I haven't been able to teach it to Pyre. I was wondering if you knew something or could help me out." Drew pauses a moment to think.

"Pyre should be one of my powerhouses, but with the types at the gym his capabilities is stunted. Not being able to his the other's mons really hurts the viability of the whole team."

Jacior
2018-10-26, 07:24 PM
Cooper stands back and watches her try to 'seduce' the big one into coming quietly. It would be more than fair if she could but he also wanted a crack at the big one. There was no telling if they'd even stick around long enough for a fight! "Ok, you have at it girly, I will stand back and let you do your thing. I can be... a little intimidating sometimes so it's better if I don't get to close!" He took a spare moment to scan the pokemon as well. Water types they were for sure but what kind?

BluesEclipse
2018-11-29, 12:36 AM
Lorenzo, Jehoash

Returning to the reception area after getting your Pokemon healed up, you ask about getting your third battle in, and Karen frowns for a moment. "I'm sorry," she says, "but the Gym has a limit of two battles per day for any challenger - our trainers here have to make sure their own Pokemon aren't hurt due to being pushed too hard. However, I'll be more than happy to set up matches for you for tomorrow morning, if you'd like."

Cooper, Kara

As the two Pokedexes register the Pokemon - a group of Buizel, with the larger one being a Floatzel - the larger of the Pokemon looks at her inquisitively. After a moment, it begins nibbling at the food, before chittering at the other Pokemon behind it. As they begin to eat, the Floatzel looks at Kara, speculatively, before scampering forward towards her.

You can spend 1 ball of any type to capture the Floatzel, if you wish to do so.

Drew

"Ancient Power, huh? Yeah, it's not exactly something that most Chars can learn... it requires some special breeding, normally. Fortunately, I know that Pyre was bred from one that was able to learn the move, so it's still possible, even if it'll take a bit of work. That being said, maybe you can do me a favor in exchange? You know that there's a bunch of Zubat that roost in the old Miller farm's silo... but I've heard recently that there's an unusual one out there. Larger, and with a unique coloring. I want to see how well it'll work for breeding, but I can't get away to go looking for it myself." She gives a sheepish laugh before continuing, "Of course, I'm not exactly great at battling, either."

Smiling at you, she finishes, "If you're willing to capture it and give it to me, I'll teach Pyre the move at no charge - otherwise, it would have to be 3000 Meseta to teach him."

You remember the Miller farm - an abandoned farmstead just south of town, maybe an hour's walk.

Eonn
2018-11-29, 01:30 AM
"I think I might be just a bit shy of the 3,000. I suppose it doesn't matter much, I'd gladly go out pokémon hunting to save that kind of money anyhow! Heard anything else about this zubat? I'll probably rely on Stryke to false swipe it down, but if it's type shifted that would be good to know before I head in."

SwordChucks
2018-12-04, 10:07 PM
Kara touches an ultraball to the floatzel's head. "Welcome to the team! I can't wait to introduce you to the others."

Kara looks at the group of buizel and then Cooper before stepping back embarrassed. "Sorry I went for the big guy without asking. I can try to convince one of the others to join you or I can get out of the way and let you battle."

If Cooper decides to battle a buizel, Kara will introduce her pokemon to the new arrival in the mean time.