PDA

View Full Version : Divine Soul - Bad-status removal build

Fryy
2018-08-19, 12:49 AM
Hi all, I am making a Divine Soul 17 / Hexblade 3 (how novel and refreshing!) for Adventurer’s League. I would like some advice or feedback on spell selection and swapping after level 5. My plan by level is below.

Levels 1-5 are already set. This is for AL, so party composition is unknown and variable, rules are fairly consistently RAW, and with Hexblade this character is limited to Xanathar’s +PBH.

I am also debating the merits of a 17/3 split vs a 18/2 split. I like 3 levels of Warlock better for the 4 spell slot re-charge on a short-rest.

Main Role/Focus
The character would focus on reactively removing adverse conditions and on spot healing (word). This uses up a lot of spell-known slots. (By the way, in addition to spell selection discussion… I would not mind hearing any stories or experiences you have had in play with a character filling a similar role. )

Other Roles
1. Social (Out of Combat): Subtle Enhance Ability (Charisma), Subtle Suggestion, Skills (Persuasion, Deception), and Invocation (Mask of Many Faces).
2. Combat (Offensive) – Single-target damage from Agonizing Blast and Hex. AoE from Spirit Guardians.
3. Combat (Defensive) – Hexblade (medium armor & shield), Absorb Elements, Shield spell, Misty Step, Resilient Con and 16 Con @ level 6 (4/2).

Meta-Magic: Level 3: Subtle, Twin. Level 10: Quicken. Level 17: Heighten
1. Subtle – I expect to use this daily; it’s fun and cheap and has great utility. I think it works well flavor-wise with Divine Soul… adding to the perceived ‘divinity’ by seemingly ‘performing miracles’ rather than just ‘casting spells’.
2. Twin – I expect to use this with low level spells: Healing Word, Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, Enhance Ability. And perhaps later on with Greater Invisibility, Death Ward, Greater Restoration, and Heal.

Concentration Spells:
Main: Bless, Spirit Guardians, (occasionally Twin) Greater Invisibility.
Secondary: (Twin) Phantasmal Force, (Twin) Suggestion, Conjure Celestial
I really want to fit Spirit Guardians into this build. Thus, the reasonably high Con and AC.
I also like Greater Invisibility combined with Elven Accuracy and Agonizing Blast.
I do not like Haste (twinned or not), because it is inconvenient to drop it mid-combat for a different concentration spell if you wanted to switch tactics mid-combat.

Build - starting
Here's my build. I hope you find it interesting.

Divine Soul Sorcerer 17, Hexblade Warlock 3
Half-Elf: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 15, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 17 Chr
Warlock 1-2: Hexblade
1st – Hex, Shield, Protection from Evil (c)
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Mask of Many Faces
Sorcerer 1-3: Divine Soul
1st – Absorb Elements, (Bonus) Bless (c), Healing Word
2nd – Enhance Ability (c), Phantasmal Force (c)
Metamagic: Subtle, Twin

Build - by Level after 5
Sorcerer 4:
2nd – Misty Step
Feat: Resilient Constitution (Constitution to 16)… added viability for Spirit Guardians
Sorcerer 5:
(Subtract) 2nd – Misty Step, (Add) 3rd – Spirit Guardians (c)
3rd – Mass Healing Word
Warlock 3:
(Subtract) 1st – Protection from Evil (c), (Add) Suggestion (c)
2nd – Misty Step
Sorcerer 6: 3rd – Counterspell
Sorcerer 7: 4th – Death Ward
Sorcerer 8: 4th – Greater Invisibility
Feat: Elven Accuracy (Charisma to 18)… adds to effectiveness of Greater Invisibility
Sorcerer 9: 4th – Freedom of Movement… non-concentration
Sorcerer 10:
5th – Greater Restoration… could not fit in Lesser Restoration
Metamagic: Quicken
Sorcerer 11: 6th – Heal
Sorcerer 12: ASI: Chr +2 (Charisma to 20)
Sorcerer 13: 3rd – Dispel Magic… multi-purpose bad-status removal
Sorcerer 14: Sorcerous Origin Feature: Otherworldly Wings
Sorcerer 15: 7th – Conjure Celestial (c)
Sorcerer 16: Feat: Lucky
Sorcerer 17: 9th – Wish

8wGremlin
2018-08-19, 02:01 PM
I've been playing a divine soul sorcerer with Spirit guardians (SG): some advice from the front lines

Dodge; has saved my life many a time, (spend the action and then enjoy enemies getting disadvantage to attack)

Sanctuary; cast after SG (controversial; you have not attacked or casted a spell that affects an enemy creature, so Sanctuary stays up)

And go Hexblade 3/Divine soul 17, it's worth it.
Pact of the Tomb(PotT), or Pact of the Chain (PotC); both are good, Tomb gets a few more cantrips, and couple of rituals (tied to warlock level)

Risky tactics:
PotC can get you the invocation: GIFT OF THE EVER-LIVING ONES
Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you.This is also great with twinned Warding Bond (if you have the rings, and think you can do this safely) just keep casting cure on yourself

Fryy
2018-08-19, 10:39 PM
@8wgremlin,

Thanks for your experience with Spirit Guardians. It will be hard to fit in 'Sanctuary'. What spells do you have for your Divine Soul?

8wGremlin
2018-08-20, 02:54 PM
Cantrip:
guidance

1st level
Cure wounds (twinable)
Sanctuary (twinable)

2nd level
Spiritual weapon (twinable)

3rd level
Spiritual guardian

Is my loadout for Cleric spells for divine soul
I use shield for defense and Eldritch blasts for attacks

Fryy
2018-08-20, 11:01 PM
Cantrip:
guidance

1st level
Cure wounds (twinable)
Sanctuary (twinable)

2nd level
Spiritual weapon (twinable)

3rd level
Spiritual guardian

Is my loadout for Cleric spells for divine soul
I use shield for defense and Eldritch blasts for attacks

Hmm. I prefer Healing Word over Cure Wounds. Healing Word is a bonus action, so you can still Eldritch blast in the same round.

8wGremlin
2018-08-21, 01:52 AM
Hmm. I prefer Healing Word over Cure Wounds. Healing Word is a bonus action, so you can still Eldritch blast in the same round.

Cure Wounds is free for you for the right alignment with Divine soul, it doesn't count against your limit.
Healing work will count against you limit, an yes it does have the advantage of range.
But then I usually take Pact of the tomb or Pact of chain an have my familiar channel my touch spells for such an occasion.

Fryy
2018-08-21, 08:04 PM
Cure Wounds is free for you for the right alignment with Divine soul, it doesn't count against your limit.
Healing work will count against you limit, an yes it does have the advantage of range.
But then I usually take Pact of the tomb or Pact of chain an have my familiar channel my touch spells for such an occasion.

Yes, Cure Wounds 'could' be your affinity spell to start off. But you can always swap out your affinity spell for any other cleric spell when you level up. It doesn't even have to be a first-level spell. So, it effectively does count towards (and add 1 to) your spell's known limit.

I also agree that 'Shield' is going to be really good, too. And, along the same lines, Absorb Elements.