PDA

View Full Version : Can you spend multiple hit dice at once to boost the spell level of an Aberrant Mark?

ATHATH
2018-08-19, 03:41 AM
"Dragonmark" couldn't fit in the title.

Kadesh
2018-08-19, 06:06 AM
For ease of reference, can you quote the feat?

JackPhoenix
2018-08-19, 07:37 AM
"Dragonmark" couldn't fit in the title.

You don't have to fit the whole question in the title, that's what the opening post is for.

The wording suggest no... "one of your hit dice", but I can see it being read and ruled both ways.

ATHATH
2018-08-19, 05:22 PM
For ease of reference, can you quote the feat?
“Prerequisite: No existing dragonmark.

You have manifested an aberrant dragonmark. Determine its appearance and the flaw associated with it. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You learn a cantrip from the sorcerer spell list. In addition, choose a 1st-level spell from the sorcerer spell list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
You can increase the power of your aberrant spells at the risk of your own vitality. When you cast a spell with your aberrant mark, you can use one of your Hit Dice to increase the spell’s level by 1. Immediately after you cast the spell, roll the Hit Die. You take damage equal to the number rolled.”

Norts
2018-08-19, 05:49 PM
Personally, I don't see why not. House Tarkanan had people that could cast 9th level spells at one point. Just don't let them exceed the level they could cast if they had spellcasting levels.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-19, 06:30 PM
I cast witch bolt......at 21st level 21d12 per round sounds interesting. Meh, nvm concentration would drop basically instantly.

Louro
2018-08-19, 06:48 PM
Chuck Norris approves this.

ATHATH
2018-08-19, 07:00 PM
I cast witch bolt......at 21st level 21d12 per round sounds interesting. Meh, nvm concentration would drop basically instantly.
21d12 the *first* round- the later rounds all deal 1d12 damage, no matter how much you upcast it.

You do bring up a good point, though- do you have to make a concentration check for the damage that you take by upcasting an Aberrant Dragonmark spell?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-19, 07:04 PM
21d12 the *first* round- the later rounds all deal 1d12 damage, no matter how much you upcast it.

You do bring up a good point, though- do you have to make a concentration check for the damage that you take by upcasting an Aberrant Dragonmark spell?

No way that's right.....Rereads spell description.....that's stupid. Burning hands would probably be my next choice.

ATHATH
2018-08-19, 07:09 PM
No way that's right.....Rereads spell description.....that's stupid. Burning hands would probably be my next choice.
I think I'd take either Magic Missile or Sleep.

It's too bad that it's limited to the Sorcerer spell list- a Fighter would probably really like the ability to concentrate on a 5th level Hex spell all day (cast it on a rabbit or something and kill it before going out adventuring, so that you don't have to take damage to use the effect(s) of Hex in combat).

pragma
2018-08-19, 07:11 PM
The text you quoted explicitly says "one of your hit dice," which I take to mean exactly one. This is probably the only rules text on the subject of boosting aberrant marks because this is an unusual feat, so I doubt there's text that explicitly says "you can't use aberrant mark multiple times on one spell." However, that meaning seems like the easiest inference from the rules presented and also the least disruptive to the game.

Nifft
2018-08-19, 07:12 PM

More like WHY bolt.

Louro
2018-08-19, 07:12 PM
Well, RAW says you can expend 1 dice. Otherwise it would say you can expend X to upcast X levels.

Kadesh
2018-08-19, 08:13 PM
I'm of the agreement that you can expend the number specified. Whether that is intentional or not, I don't know.

And yes, damage taken will cause concentration checks as all damage does unless otherwise specified.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-08-19, 08:24 PM
It specifies ONE of your hit die, and then later says "roll THE hit die". So no. There's no way I can read that as allowing you to spend more than one at once.

Daithi
2018-08-19, 10:37 PM
I'd say no for reasons already given by others. However, players with aberrant dragonmarks don't seem to get access to a greater dragonmark at 8th. Maybe adding more dice should be the ability of their greater dragonmark. The text does indicate that individuals with aberrant dragonmarks were really powerful, so it would make sense.

Nifft
2018-08-19, 10:49 PM
It specifies ONE of your hit die, and then later says "roll THE hit die". So no. There's no way I can read that as allowing you to spend more than one at once.

How should we account for unusually large values of one?