PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Abusing Invocations that don't take slots?

Citadel97501
2018-08-19, 05:31 AM
Hello all,
I was just looking over something and I realized that there are even more ways to abuse the Warlock Invocation "Armor of Shadows". Then I decided to look over the other spells at will without slots, and was wondering if there were other ways to improve them for a specialized wizard, since this took me a while to compile, I thought sharing would be a good idea. Please note anything I missed. (Sorry about the format)

1st level Storm Sorcerer
Tempestuous Magic: 10' flight that ignores attacks of opportunity, but it takes your Bonus action.
-This only takes 1+ level of sorcerer, which is never that bad of an idea for a caster regardless of your casting type.

3rd level Wizard
Abjuration Wizard: Temporary Hit Points that regenerate whenever you cast Abjuration magic.
-This takes 2 levels of wizard but is great for melee casters, such as Hex Warriors.

6th level Wizard
Transmuter's Stone: Change a lot of the bonuses around to different benefits, primarily for Elemental resistances & Darkvision.
-This takes 6 levels of Wizard but likely takes far to many levels into Warlock, making you a multiple attribute dependent or MAD for short.

14th level Wizard
Illusory Reality: Make part of the illusion temporarily real.
-This is extremely powerful but it is 14 levels of Wizard, so that is expected.

Warlock: 2
Mage Armor
-Abjuration Wizard
-Tempestuous Magic

Detect Magic: Divination
Speak with Animals: Divination
-Tempestuous Magic

False Life: Necromancy
-Tempestuous Magic

Disguise Self: Illusion
-Illusory Reality: Illusionist wizard
Only need 2 of warlock but this won't do much as it will only be really useful for giving you horns or something similar and it is at 14+.

Silent Image: Illusion
Only a 2 level dip but this is incredibly powerful even when it can't cause damage directly, as giving you a defense like a wall of stone, a bridge, or a tower to blast foes from is incredible. This could also do other things such as forcing opponents to deal with water by creating a river in the dungeon that sweeps them into a pit trap.

Warlock: 9
Jump: Transmutation
Levitate: Transmutation
-Transmuter's Stone
-Tempestuous Magic

Speak with Dead: Necromancy
-Tempestuous Magic

Warlock: 15
Invisibility: Illusion
-Tempestuous Magic
This too high up the Warlock level, and wouldn't work with Illusory Reality, however its still incredibly powerful even without additional benefits.

Arcane Eye: Divination
-Tempestuous Magic

Alter Self: Transmutation
-Tempestuous Magic

JackPhoenix
2018-08-19, 05:55 AM
Disguise Self: Illusion
Only need 2 of warlock but this won't do much as it will only be really useful for giving you horns or wings, or something like that and it is at 14+. But that is a method of free flight depending on DM.

Horns, sure, but not wings. Limits of the Disguise Self: you must have the same basic arrangement of limbs.

Silent Image: Illusion
Only a 2 level dip but this is incredibly powerful even when it can't cause damage directly, as giving you a defense like a wall of stone, a bridge, or a tower to blast foes from is incredible. This could also do other things such as forcing opponents to deal with water by creating a river in the dungeon that sweeps them into a pit trap.

Water isn't an object, not valid for Illusory Reality

Citadel97501
2018-08-19, 06:07 AM
Horns, sure, but not wings. Limits of the Disguise Self: you must have the same basic arrangement of limbs.

Water isn't an object, not valid for Illusory Reality

Thank you for the correction on disguise self, I will fix that now. I entirely disagree with the Water issue though.

Lunali
2018-08-19, 08:54 AM
Thank you for the correction on disguise self, I will fix that now. I entirely disagree with the Water issue though.

Half agree with both of you on the water, I'd say yes on making water real, but no on making flowing water real as it would immediately be replaced by illusionary water as the real water flowed away.

No brains
2018-08-19, 09:13 AM
MAYBE you could use disguise self to give yourself wings instead of arms. That is still the same basic tetrapod arrangement of limbs. It's in the DM's hands, especially if they're worried about balance or they are enough of a nerd about internal biology supporting the wings. They might also decide that a part of your body doesn't count as an object to be made real.

Disguise Self and Illusory Reality does give you a way faster means to put on plate armor. It's like mage armor on crack. You could also be wearing a key ring on your belt and using many keys to 'brute force attack' a lock. I know that it can't really hurt anyone, but if you disguised yourself as walking around with a pile of smoking bombs tied to you, you might be able to bluff out a room.

Vogie
2018-08-19, 09:38 PM
Although I love where you're going with this, in nearly all cases when a feature references a spell being cast, it means a spell gained by that class. Even if it is allowed by your DM, if you abuse it your DM will shut that down really fast.

Tanarii
2018-08-20, 12:16 AM
Although I love where you're going with this, in nearly all cases when a feature references a spell being cast, it means a spell gained by that class. Even if it is allowed by your DM, if you abuse it your DM will shut that down really fast.
It only means a spell cast by that class if it says that.

For example, a Wild Mage's Wild Magic Surge and Tides of Chaos Features specify Sorcerer spells.

Conversly, a Storm Sorcerers Tempestuous Magic Feature does not specify a specific class's spells.

Some are a mix. The War Magic's Power Surge is charges up by a Counterspell or Dispel Magic regardless of what class you learned/prepared it from. But you have to cast a Wizard spell to spend them.

EvilAnagram
2018-08-20, 03:42 PM
On the water issue, make an illusion of a block of ice and wait.

ATHATH
2018-08-21, 04:38 AM
Why WOULDN'T a cube of water be an object? It's a connected mass, right?

Exocist
2018-08-21, 04:49 AM
Why WOULDN'T a cube of water be an object? It's a connected mass, right?

Depends which definition of object you adhere to

A material thing that can be seen and touched.

A thing that you can see or touch but that is not usually a living animal, plant, or person

Something material that may be perceived by the senses

An object is anything that has a fixed shape or form, that you can touch or see, and that is not alive.

3/4 strike rate for water being an object isn't bad, but some people might be fixated on objects needing to have a "Fixed shape or form", which water would not fulfill.