PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Slapdash Rascal (Swashbuckler)

continuumg
2018-08-19, 02:59 PM
Although not trained with any particular weapons, the slapdash rascal is always ready for a fight. Making use of whatever lies around him, the slapdash rascal makes a cunning adversary. His ability to enthusiastically throw himself into the fray while avoiding injury astounds his fellows.

Improvised Proficiency
A slapdash rascals gets Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything as bonus feat at 1st level.
This replaces proficiency with martial weapons and bucklers

Panache
A slapdash rascal regains panache when he scores a critical hit or lands a killing blow with an improvised weapon, rather than with a light or one-handed piercing weapon.
This alters Panache

Deeds
A slapdash rascal gains the following deeds, each of which replaces an existing deed.

Suddenly Armed (Ex): At 1st level, as long as the slapdash rascal has at least 1 panache point, he can grab an unattended object within reach to wield as part of an attack or combat maneuver. When he does so he may pay 1 panache point to first make a bluff check to feint against the target of the attack as a free action. This deed replaces dodging panache.

Improvised Versatility (Ex): At 3rd level, the slapdash rascal may pay 1 panache as a free action to treat a held improvised weapon as any melee weapon of the same size for 1 minute. For the duration, the slapdash rascal may change the weapon it is treated as as a swift action. The slapdash rascal is always proficient with any improvised weapon he is modifying with this deed, regardless of what kind of weapon it is being treated as. This deed replaces Menacing Swordplay.

Slapdash Tactics (Ex): At 3rd level, as long as the slapdash rascal has at least 1 panache point, he treats all allies as if they possessed the same teamwork feats as the slapdash rascal for the purpose of determining whether the rascal receives a bonus from his teamwork feats. Additionally, he can pay 1 panache as an immediate action to grant an ally within 30ft a teamwork feat he knows for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. This deed replaces precise strike.

Ranged Rapscallion (Ex): At 7th level, while he has at least 1 panache point, the slapdash rascal can attempt a dirty trick combat maneuver with a thrown improvised weapon, using a ranged attack roll in place of a combat maneuver check. At the GM’s discretion, other combat maneuvers may be attempted, depending on the improvised weapon used. This deed replaces Superior Feint

Slapdash Flexibility (Ex): At 7th level, as a move action the slapdash rascal can spend 1 panache point to gain the benefits of two combat feats he does not possess for 1 minute. He may use one of these feats to meet a prerequisite of the other. This deed replaces Targeted Strike.

Smash Attack: At 11th level, when the slapdash rascal makes a successful attack with an improvised weapon while he has at least 1 point in his panache pool, he can cause the weapon to gain the broken condition. If he does, he rolls the weapon's damage twice, as if using Vital Strike. He can use this deed with a broken weapon, destroying it, by paying 1 panache. If he does so, he rolls the weapon's damage three times, as if using Improved Vital Strike. This replaces Bleeding Wound.

Fight Fair (Ex): At 11th level, while a slapdash rascal has at least 1 panache point, he gains a bonus to disarm, steal, and sunder combat maneuvers equal to his Charisma modifier. Additionally, by paying 1 panache, he can make such a maneuver as a swift action. This deed replaces Subtle Blade.

Slapdash Reflexes (Ex): At 15th level, a slapdash rascal can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent that is taking a 5-foot-step or using the withdraw action by spending 1 panache point. This deed replaces Perfect Thrust.

Close the Gap(Ex): At 19th level, when an enemy within the slapdash rascal's move speed performs an action that would provoke an attack of opportunity, the slapdash rascal may spend 1 panache as an immediate action to move up to his speed and make an attack of opportunity against that enemy. This deed replaces Deadly Stab

Contingency Plan (Ex): At 19th level, the slapdash rascal can cast Contingent Action as an extraordinary ability with a casting time of a full-round action by spending 1 panache point. He can only target himself with this ability, and its effects last up to an hour. This deed replaces Stunning Stab.

Dirty Fighting Mastery (Ex):
At 1st level, the slapdash rascal gains Dirty Fighting as a bonus feat.
At 5th level, whenever the slapdash rascal makes a successful melee attack against an opponent he is flanking or that is denied its dexterity bonus to AC, he may make any combat maneuver against that opponent as a swift action.
At 9th level, the slapdash rascal gets a +2 luck bonus to CMD.
At 13th level, whenever the slapdash rascal makes a successful combat maneuver check, he gains a number of temporary hit points equal to his Charisma modifier. These last for 1 minute.
At 17th level, whenever a creature fails a combat maneuver check against the slapdash rascal, the slapdash rascal may attempt the same type of maneuver against that creature as an immediate action.
This replaces Swashbuckler Finesse and Swashbuckler Weapon Training

Always Ready (Ex)
At 20th level, the slapdash rascal is always able to use his deeds. This can bring his panache pool below 0. The effects of his deeds that normally require him to have at least 1 panache point in his pool are always active. As long as he has at least 1 panache point, the slapdash rascal is immune to flanking, precision damage, critical hits, and can not be denied his dexterity bonus to AC.
This replaces Swashbuckler Weapon Mastery

FlameUser64
2018-08-19, 05:43 PM
So… the main weakness I see with this archetype is that you have replaced every single deed and class feature that granted bonus damage with ones that do not. The swashbuckler already struggles with damage output compared to other martial classes, and this will not help matters. Furthermore, they're still stuck using light- or one-handed piercing melee weapons if they want to take advantage of Swashbuckler's Finesse, because you didn't modify that ability. This means that if you want to play Dex-based you're stuck with terrible 1d4 to 1d6 damage die weapons because improvised weapons imitate simple weapons of the same size.
Secondly, you replaced the swashbuckler's single best deed, Opportune Parry & Riposte.

Oh, and also, Improvised Versatility doesn't grant proficiency in the weapon while it's being treated as a different weapon, meaning he's stuck only choosing from simple weapons with this ability. (If he tries to take a chair and use Improvised Versatility to treat it as a greatsword, he'll take a -4 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls with it because he's not proficient with the greatsword.) As an aside, Improvised Versatility can be used to treat any random object of the appropriate size as a ranged weapon such as a crossbow, as written. Not sure if that's a problem but I figured it was worth pointing out.

Arrowproof comes online rather too late to be particularly helpful.

On the plus side, I like Slapdash Flexibility, and I like the idea behind Improvised Versatility. Suddenly Armed, Fight Fair, and Contingency Plan are also really cool.

continuumg
2018-08-20, 07:31 PM
Wow. Yes, it seems there are some troubles. Thanks for your input!
Alhough, I did replace swashbuckler's finesse. (Which of course makes the archetype even weaker than you thought)
I'll update it as soon as I can, as this was one of my archetypes I was most excited to share. I'd love to see it reach its full potential.

EDIT
Okay, so:
- Improvised versatility now provides proficiency.
- Suddenly armed now replaces dodging panache
- Bleeding wound was replaced with Smash Attack
- Arrowproof was replaced with Close the Gap (Might change this one again later)
- The rascal now gets both Catch Off-guard and Throw anything, but loses bucklers

FlameUser64
2018-08-20, 09:06 PM
This is much better, so far.

I was going to make a comment about how it would be better if Close The Gap could be made to not expend an immediate action because swashbuckler already has more than enough things competing for its swift/immediate actions, but actually this archetype replaces all such abilities except for Charmed Life and Dizzying Defence with things that, for the most part, do not require swift/immediate actions, so action economy is much less of an issue than I had thought. (I mean it might still be better to make such a change, if only because depending on how you read it, Dizzying Defence might in fact also include an attack action made as a swift action instead of a standard action.) It would also be great if Close the Gap could be made to come online at 15th level instead of 19th somehow, but I can't find a good way of making that happen.

Aside from that, there are minor writing hiccups in a few sections.

Improved Proficiency should read:

Improvised Proficiency
A slapdash rascals gets Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything as bonus feats at 1st level.
This replaces proficiency with martial weapons and bucklers. It should probably not be labelled as an (Ex) ability, if only because a class feature that's just a pair of bonus feats being listed as (Ex) might have unintended interactions with something somewhere.

Improvised Versatility should probably read something like this, imo:

Improvised Versatility (Ex): At 3rd level, the slapdash rascal may pay 1 panache as a free action to treat a held improvised weapon as any melee weapon of the same size for 1 minute. For the duration, the slapdash rascal may change the weapon it is treated as as a swift action. The slapdash rascal is always proficient with any improvised weapon he is modifying with this deed, regardless of what kind of weapon it is being treated as. This deed replaces Menacing Swordplay. Now it still gives you the proficiency you actually need without giving you proficiency with the genuine article, just as a minor, most likely unnecessary alteration. I also fixed a minor grammar error in the process, of course.

Also, there's an unnecessary capital letter near the beginning of Close the Gap's description.

continuumg
2018-08-22, 11:42 AM
Sweet, thanks!
All suggested fixes done.
If you'd like to take a look at one of these archetypes as well, I would love some feedback!

Unchained Sleuth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565949-Unchained-Sleuth)
Incredible Iaidoka (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565945-Incredible-Iaidoka-(Swashbuckler))
Spell Crasher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565946-Spell-Crasher-(Magus)&p=23282131)