PDA

View Full Version : obito challange, can you help make a "way of horizon walker" monastric tradition?

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 09:52 AM
this is for a monk at d&d 5e, how can I feet the horizon walker in the monk and stay balance? any feeback or coments are apreciate.

rbstr
2018-08-20, 11:14 AM
My quick attempt to port the ranger to monk.

Level 3 - Planar Warrior: When you hit a creature with an attack granted by your flurry of blows it deals one extra martial arts die of force damage.
Detect Portal from the regular horizon walker (this is a freebee feature)

Level 6 - Ethereal Step: Same as the ranger.
OR! Ethereal Step: When you use Step of the Wind to dash all attacks against you are made at disadvantage until the start of your next turn. Once per day you may step entirely into the ethereal plane until the end of your turn, you may pass through solid objects using an additional foot of movement for every foot traveled.
Mostly like you're kinda out of the plane with a cool added little bit of ki efficiency. But you can also replicate Etherealness a bit.

Level 11 - Distant Strike: Same
Planar Strike: Once on each of your turns, when you hit a target, you can spend up to 3 ki points to empower your strike with planar energy. The attack deals one additional martial arts die of damage per Ki point spent and all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage.

Level 17 - Spectral Defense: Same? I dono most level 17 monk features seem to do damage. This monk already has enough of that IMO. This should be defensive somehow.

Kadesh
2018-08-20, 11:16 AM
I'm not too sure what you mean. Hill Dwarf Squat Nimbless Long Death 9/Horizon Walker 11 can be pretty tanky, but then you miss Banishment (Horizon Walker 13). Monk 7 is a decent ish breakpoint.

However all of this changes depending on what level you're starting from and what level you expect to end No point in me saying 7/13 split when you're finishinf at 12.

What key (heh) abilties do you want from either class?

Edit: oh, engrish

Rp4man
2018-08-20, 12:04 PM
I put some thought into this as I like rangers horizon Walker. However I wanted to Taylor it to monks level 3 abilities. Thia has good flow too. Though I had to make it ki heavy since it's really good. The level 17 might just be too good because they can't attack you back. But it should be better than ranger. It's a d8 melee hit class.

Lvl 3 Portal attacks
You can make unarmed strikes through time and space! Your unarmed attacks have a range of 30 feet.

Lvl 6 Force attacks
Your unarmed strikes deal force damage.

When use flurry of blows, you can spend an additional 1 ki point to have each of these strikes deal additional damage equal to 1 dice, equal to your martial arts dice. You can use this once per turn.

Lvl 11
Ghost body.
When you spend a ki point on patient defense or step of the wind, you can spend an additional ki point as a reaction on your turn to enter a semi eatheral state. You move speed is doubled and you have resistance to all damage except force. You can maintain this state by spending 2 ki points as a reaction on the beginning of your next turn. Otherwise you exit ghost body at the beginning of your next turn.

Lvl 17
Etheral attack.
When you enter your ghost body, you gain the full effects of the eatherness spell. You must spend your ki points to up keep this as normal. While in this state you are still able to attack creatures from the other plane. You have advantage on your attacks againt creatures in a different plane as they cannot see or Target you. You cannot however interact with or attack creatures on another plane if you are not using the ghost body feature. ( Example a wizzard casting eatherness on you wouldn't work. You still must use ghost body. )

Vogie
2018-08-20, 12:19 PM

Level 3 - Planar Warrior: When you hit a creature with an attack granted by your flurry of blows it deals one extra martial arts die of force damage.

OR! Ethereal Step: When you use Step of the Wind to dash all attacks against you are made at disadvantage until the start of your next turn. Once per day you may step entirely into the ethereal plane until the end of your turn, you may pass through solid objects using an additional foot of movement for every foot traveled.
Mostly like you're kinda out of the plane with a cool added little bit of ki efficiency. But you can also replicate Etherealness a bit.

Planar Strike: Once on each of your turns, when you hit a target, you can spend up to 3 ki points to empower your strike with planar energy. The attack deals one additional martial arts die of damage per Ki point spent and all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage.

Level 17 - Spectral Defense: Same? I dono most level 17 monk features seem to do damage. This monk already has enough of that IMO. This should be defensive somehow.

How about you change the 17th level ability to an absorb elements-style effect? You gain resistance to an attack, and the next turn that augments the damage of your next attack?

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 03:20 PM

your ideas are awesome, what abouth more ac or inmunity at lv17? like transport enemy spells or ranged ammo to the other planar?

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 03:21 PM
I'm not too sure what you mean. Hill Dwarf Squat Nimbless Long Death 9/Horizon Walker 11 can be pretty tanky, but then you miss Banishment (Horizon Walker 13). Monk 7 is a decent ish breakpoint.

However all of this changes depending on what level you're starting from and what level you expect to end No point in me saying 7/13 split when you're finishinf at 12.

What key (heh) abilties do you want from either class?

Edit: oh, engrish

my idea is to keep going until epick levels, kill a lot of liches, get dex and wis books and be as harcore as I can on combat. thanks for the coments.

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 03:23 PM
I put some thought into this as I like rangers horizon Walker. However I wanted to Taylor it to monks level 3 abilities. Thia has good flow too. Though I had to make it ki heavy since it's really good. The level 17 might just be too good because they can't attack you back. But it should be better than ranger. It's a d8 melee hit class.

Lvl 3 Portal attacks
You can make unarmed strikes through time and space! Your unarmed attacks have a range of 30 feet.

Lvl 6 Force attacks
Your unarmed strikes deal force damage.

When use flurry of blows, you can spend an additional 1 ki point to have each of these strikes deal additional damage equal to 1 dice, equal to your martial arts dice. You can use this once per turn.

Lvl 11
Ghost body.
When you spend a ki point on patient defense or step of the wind, you can spend an additional ki point as a reaction on your turn to enter a semi eatheral state. You move speed is doubled and you have resistance to all damage except force. You can maintain this state by spending 2 ki points as a reaction on the beginning of your next turn. Otherwise you exit ghost body at the beginning of your next turn.

Lvl 17
Etheral attack.
When you enter your ghost body, you gain the full effects of the eatherness spell. You must spend your ki points to up keep this as normal. While in this state you are still able to attack creatures from the other plane. You have advantage on your attacks againt creatures in a different plane as they cannot see or Target you. You cannot however interact with or attack creatures on another plane if you are not using the ghost body feature. ( Example a wizzard casting eatherness on you wouldn't work. You still must use ghost body. )

omg I love this ideas!!! thanks a lot!

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 03:24 PM
How about you change the 17th level ability to an absorb elements-style effect? You gain resistance to an attack, and the next turn that augments the damage of your next attack?

sounds fasinathing and thanks a lot for your coments!

Rp4man
2018-08-20, 04:01 PM
Oh I wanted to add to mine. As part of lvl 3 Portal attacks. Let's give some utility too.

You can also reach into a portal and interact with something 30 feet away like mage hand but it's your own ✋

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 04:05 PM
Oh I wanted to add to mine. As part of lvl 3 Portal attacks. Let's give some utility too.

You can also reach into a portal and interact with something 30 feet away like mage hand but it's your own ✋

thats a really good idea, and whait if we add advantage on attack and defense rolls?

Rp4man
2018-08-20, 05:04 PM
At level 3 it might be too good. But hey your homebrewing.

Here is some video inspiration I had for the portal punch.

https://youtu.be/g_hANGX60hQ

Also if you never saw wakfu. The main character Yugo is pretty much a horizon Walker monk. Watch this for inspiration. You could definitely put stuff in here like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYsdsCg5mYQ

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 05:13 PM
At level 3 it might be too good. But hey your homebrewing.

Here is some video inspiration I had for the portal punch.

https://youtu.be/g_hANGX60hQ

Also if you never saw wakfu. The main character Yugo is pretty much a horizon Walker monk. Watch this for inspiration. You could definitely put stuff in here like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYsdsCg5mYQ

thats preaty good but its go to far away from obitos technique, I only whant the power of planar walk xD I know its to over power but I am looking to get it balance to. thanks for the coments!

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 05:49 PM
Level 3: Planar Martials. you can add an aditional ki to your ki natural pool as the same as your monk level.

Level 6: Planar Pasience. meditating at planar external space is count for 10min for a short rest. you can roll one martial dice plus your widom modifier to add as extra ki, If you take an other meditation at the external space you could reroll the dice.

level 11: Etheral infuse.
When you spend a ki point on patient defense or step of the wind, you can spend an additional ki point as a reaction on your turn to enter a semi eatheral state. You move speed is doubled and you have advantage on saving trows and inmunity to fisical attacks. You can maintain this state by spending 1 ki point as a reaction on the beginning of your next turn. Otherwise you exit ghost body at the beginning of your next turn.

level 17: Etheral transmute.
You enter to the etheral plane, you gain the full effects of the eatherness spell. You must spend your ki points to up keep this as normal. While in this state you are still able to attack creatures from the other plane. You have advantage on your attacks againt creatures in a different plane as they cannot see or Target you.

Level 20;
You can attempt to past trow any planar at your will. and cast banish at will using 4ki points, creature needs to do a save trow from your proficienci bonus + wis + 8.
how abouth this? broken? not? yes? feedback please! thanks for your time.

rbstr
2018-08-20, 06:11 PM
That is completely broken. Basically every feature I can understand is much too strong. You're basically doubling the Monk's Ki pool from 3rd level. That's ridiculous. Two Ki plus one more every turn to be immune to physical attacks? No way. The whole thing is way too strong. The 20th level feature makes no sense to me.

Also, Monks do not even get a 20th level Monastic Tradition feature. Those are only 3, 6, 11, and 17.

You need to read the other Traditions and come up with stuff that fits with their power level. Dial everything way back.

Bernardo
2018-08-20, 07:08 PM
That is completely broken. Basically every feature I can understand is much too strong. You're basically doubling the Monk's Ki pool from 3rd level. That's ridiculous. Two Ki plus one more every turn to be immune to physical attacks? No way. The whole thing is way too strong. The 20th level feature makes no sense to me.

Also, Monks do not even get a 20th level Monastic Tradition feature. Those are only 3, 6, 11, and 17.

You need to read the other Traditions and come up with stuff that fits with their power level. Dial everything way back.

Then I will use my last option, get level 20 and with my bard friend cast wish and add one more class from level 1 xD thats ok the rules so porbably is more "on the game"