PDA

View Full Version : Boss Battle: Challenging or Too Deadly?

Bahamut7
2018-08-20, 05:15 PM
I am running my group through the dungeons from the Tales from the Yawning Portal with my own alteration to each one to fit my campaign. They are at the end of Dungeon 3 Tamoca (spelling is wrong I know) Shrine and I have decided on something a bit more layered.

Party composition is currently 6 players (2 are dropping for a while after this fight) at level 5. Paladin (I forget which subclass he chose), Sorcerer (dragon blood), Open Hand Monk, UA Ranger, College of Valor Bard, and Life Cleric. (Bard and Cleric leaving party after fight). The Sorcerer, Monk, and Paladin tend to nuke targets, hence why I am deciding on uping this encounter. The party also has access to some potions that can bring back some of their dailies but only 1 for each party member.

Here is my Idea so far. This will be done in 3 phases.

o Elemental Stones are empowering the Corrupted Life Stone.
o Life Stone is at the top or bottom of the initiative order (+7 to initiative roll) and has AC 15 and 6d8 HP. Corrupted Life Stone can only be damaged when all 4 Elemental Stones have been destroyed.
o Life Stone sends out Corruption Pulse each turn. Wisdom saving throw, DC starts at 5 - 10 and increases each round by 2. Any Target that fails begins to change into a monster. End of each turn, successful wisdom save (same DC as what turned them) prevents them from shifting further. Nat 20, reverts to previous level or cures them. Fail pulse and move onto the next level.
o Each Elemental Stone will summon another corrupted elemental each turn.
o Corrupted Elementals are summoned. Dual types with poison and much weaker than normal Elementals.
o Stones that are destroyed, banish corresponding elemental instantly. Stone AC 13 with 4d8 HP.

I intend to make these elementals akin to super minions from 4e as I know their HP normally can be quite high. Also, any transformation effects will take about 3 failures to fully become a monster.

o Tribal Warrior and Minions (Tribal Warrior Minions x8) appear.
• Odolwa
Huge giant, chaotic neutral
INT
WIS
CHA

21 (+5) 17 (+3) 15 (+2) 13 (+1) 12 (+1) 16 (+3)
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Olman
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
Innate Spellcasting. Odolwa's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). Odowla can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: spin attack, Poison Spray (with range of 10 feet)
1/day: dispel magic, lesser restoration, wall of fire

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Odolwa fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Perfect Parry. As long as Odolwa is able to take reactions, any melee attack roll against it is made with disadvantage.

Weak Point. Although Odolwa's face is protected by a mask, the back of its head is particularly vulnerable. Any called shot that specifically hits this spot causes Odolwa to be incapacitated until the start of its next turn. If the attack is a critical hit, Odolwa is instead incapacitated until the end of its next turn.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Odolwa makes two melee weapon attacks.
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) slashing poison damage, or 21 (3d10 + 5) slashing damage if used in two hands. DC 14 Con save or become poisoned.

Shield Bash. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) piercing damage.

Conjure Insects (Recharge 5-6). By chanting and performing somatic gestures, Odolwa casts conjure animals. However, it can only conjure two insect swarms (including any variant), two giant wasps, or up to eight giant beetles.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The Odolwa can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The Odolwa regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Detect. Odolwa makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Kick. Odolwa makes an unarmed strike. This is a melee weapon attack with +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., against one target. On a hit, it deals 6 bludgeoning damage. Push’s target 15 ft. on failed strength save

Shift. Odolwa moves up to half its speed.

Attack (Costs 2 Actions). Odolwa makes one melee weapon attack.

Conjure Beetles (Costs 2 Actions). Odolwa casts conjure animals, but can only summon four giant beetles.

Leap (Costs 2 Actions). Odolwa jumps to a height of up to 60 feet and a distance of up to 120 feet. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Odolwa takes the form of a gigantic humanoid warrior over a dozen feet in height, with greenish-brown skin covered in brightly-colored war paint. Glowing red eyes peer out from within a distinctive armored battle mask that shields its face from view. It battles with the tempered ferocity of a wild but seasoned fighter.
Mythical Warrior. Odolwa is believed by many to be a supernatural warrior that personifies the spirit of marshlands and rainforests. In some cultures it is believed to be a guardian that protects nature from exploitation. In others, it is seen as a vengeful deity that only seeks war and destruction. In yet others, it challenges only the strongest warriors to test their mettle. The only thing for sure is that Odolwa is shrouded in mystery, and few have survived a battle against it.
Immortal Nature. Odolwa doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.

The tribal warrior minions are 1 HP minions and I don't intend to have them respawn.

o The shrine will begin to collapse and the party will have to run down the side of the shrine to get to safety.
o Slides and Obstacles are present.

This last part is meant for a more thematic escape, no real dangers but the illusion of peril is there.

Should I cut down some of this or is the difficulty challenging but not too much? Also, any ideas to add or take away or change, I am open to hear.

Nidgit
2018-08-21, 11:09 AM
The difficulty curve on the first phase seems wonky. With low HP and a starting DC that low, your party will probably burn through the Stones easily. If they don't clear it in 2-3 turns for whatever reason, it's going to become dangerously difficult with those summoned elementals and inexorably increasing DCs. I'd probably change it to something like the Corrupting Wave DC starts at 10 and increases by 2 for each Elemental Stone destroyed. The Stones summon one elemental each at the beginning and destroying the stone banishes the elemental.

Bahamut7
2018-08-21, 04:58 PM
The difficulty curve on the first phase seems wonky. With low HP and a starting DC that low, your party will probably burn through the Stones easily. If they don't clear it in 2-3 turns for whatever reason, it's going to become dangerously difficult with those summoned elementals and inexorably increasing DCs. I'd probably change it to something like the Corrupting Wave DC starts at 10 and increases by 2 for each Elemental Stone destroyed. The Stones summon one elemental each at the beginning and destroying the stone banishes the elemental.

Crap I forgot to add that. Lol, yes the elementals are banished back to their plane once a stone is destroyed. Meant to be more of a puzzle challenge with danger. I will fix that.

Apparently I already had that, last bullet point in phase 1.

I think you are right about the steady increase on the DC. I might start it lower depending on how the party is handling the situation. I want risk, but not to take away complete control quickly.

Bahamut7
2018-08-26, 08:12 PM
Just in case anyone reads this later. Did the session and here are the results. The party didn't stay together and broke off exploring different rooms as the elementals were being summoned. Eventually they broke a sphere and banished all water elementals but then tried just shoving the spheres off the ledge instead of breaking them.

I created a DC of 20 on the spot and no one managed to hit or exceed it and eventually the ranger broke the earth sphere. At this point there were 4 fire elementals stationed in their chamber and 4 Air elementals. Through a clever use of sanctuary and being resistant to fire, the Paladin walked and eventually pushed the fire sphere off the ledge.

The air elementals did the most damage and dropped the Cleric and Bard...twice. Though the Bard managed to cast Enemies Abound on an air elemental before this and caused some chaos. The Sorcerer used Blink and managed to inch his way to the air stone and pushed it off the ledge with the assistance of the monk.

Upon breaking the final stone, the Corrupted Life Stone, They had to face Odolwa and some super minions. Some good back and forth, everyone got to do their stuff, and then the Sorcerer by accident hit the weak point on Odolwa and turned the tide of the battle.

They managed to finish him off and I called a peaceful ending skipping the collapse segment due to many people being overly tired from previous events that day.

All in all, I feel it went well.