PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Halfling Slinger

tstewt1921
2018-08-20, 06:10 PM
So we are starting a new 5e game, I haven't really played in the system, mostly stuck with 3.5. I have an idea of the character I want to play and I want to do a Halfling using a sling for a weapon, however I'm not seeing any archetypes that work for it when it comes to rogue, also I can't find either a Hoopek or Staffsling to use...I would like to be versatile with it and be able to club people when they get close, which is why I would prefer the above weapon. Can anyone point me in the right direction build wise and where the weapon is as well.

Teaguethebean
2018-08-20, 06:19 PM
From what i can see in 5e the sling is rarely a useful weapon unless your stuck in the wilderness and out of arrows. In most all cases bows are a better option for most any build. I suppose the concealment of a sling could be something you lean into, but overall it just seems like an idea that simply gimps your characters dps.

tstewt1921
2018-08-20, 06:21 PM
From what i can see in 5e the sling is rarely a useful weapon unless your stuck in the wilderness and out of arrows. In most all cases bows are a better option for most any build. I suppose the concealment of a sling could be something you lean into, but overall it just seems like an idea that simply gimps your characters dps.

I'm not playing the character to do massive dps...if I was that's what I would have asked for....

Vorpalchicken
2018-08-20, 06:32 PM
I would say that upon the release of the PHB the sling definitely had a role for a skirmisher type since it was one of the few ranged weapons (ie on the ranged weapons list) that was useable with a shield. However with the errata in response to hand crossbow abuse, it became RAW that a free hand was needed for loading.
So by RAW you can't use a shield with a sling (as it was used historically and also throughout the history of the D&D game.)
However, ask your DM. A shield makes a sling worth using in my opinion. And I would certainly allow it.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-20, 06:52 PM
I'm not playing the character to do massive dps...if I was that's what I would have asked for....

Not sure if you meant that to be rude or not, but it certainly came off that way.

As for your main question, there is no real way to give you exactly what you're looking for without homebrewing a solution by working with your DM. A sling that doubles as a club with the finesse property in melee wouldn't be overpowered.

Most Rogue Archetypes (subclasses) will work just fine with a sling instead of a bow, even if they're not quite optimized for it specifically (although not many classes or subclasses are designed in 5e to work with specific weapons). However, if you have access to books beyond the PHB, then the Scout or Mastermind could work well. The Scout gives you some good mobility and skills, and the Mastermind allows you to use a Bonus Action to make a ranged Help action for your team.

Crgaston
2018-08-20, 09:38 PM
If you can talk your DM into turning the Crossbow Expert feat into Sling Expert, you’ll be all set mechanically.

Tanarii
2018-08-20, 11:34 PM
Hoopak are Kender weapons. You don't want your halfling to evoke a Kender, trust me. Your party will probably drown your character in self defense. :smallamused:

Just be a Rogue and use a Sling as your primary weapon. Take out a sword and stab people that get close. Perfectly effective.

As for your main question, there is no real way to give you exactly what you're looking for without homebrewing a solution by working with your DM. A sling that doubles as a club with the finesse property in melee wouldn't be overpowered.
It'd definitely be a Martial weapon, at the least. You've mashed up two simple weapons and then added Finesse on top.

ImproperJustice
2018-08-21, 07:55 AM
Another possibility would be to play a Kensei Monk with the sling and staff as your weapons. See if the GM will allow the hoopak as a weapon in his world.

Now you can fight effectively with what some would consider sub-optimal weapons while being super mobile and having other Monk craziness.

MrConsideration
2018-08-21, 08:39 AM
Ask your DM if you can use a short-bow and refluff to a sling. This cuts through the Gordian Knot of fixes and it totally by the rules.

Naanomi
2018-08-21, 08:42 AM
The Magic Stone cantrip (perhaps through Magic Initiate or the like) opens up some sling options for Wisdom focused ranged attackers... Rangers or Inquisitive rogues most obviously...

Tanarii
2018-08-21, 09:34 AM
Ask your DM if you can use a short-bow and refluff to a sling. This cuts through the Gordian Knot of fixes and it totally by the rules.
A sling is already a rules object, in this case a described weapon. So no, it's not 'totally by the rules' to mechanically redefine (not "refluff") another existing weapon into a sling. It would be a house-rule modifying slings to use shortbow stats.

MeeposFire
2018-08-21, 03:15 PM
Honestly the difference in damage between a sling and a bow of any sort on a 1 attack per round (at least most of the time) class is very small just use the sling and not worry about it. Remember the vast majority of the damage you deal as a rogue comes from sneak attack, stat bonuses, and other non-weapon related sources. With only one attack per round the difference in damage dice only gives on average a difference of a couple of points of damage a round compared to using a bow which is not really worth agonizing over.

Tanarii
2018-08-21, 03:48 PM
The biggest difference between a shortbow and a sling is range, and being sble to mske 2 attacks per round.

But thats not the point. The point is giving a sling the stats of a shortbow is in no way "refluffing".

stoutstien
2018-08-22, 02:10 AM
Use a a shield and go battle master or Rogue no u can't load them with one hand but they cost what 5c each? Pre load a belt full of them and go ham

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 02:36 AM
The Magic Stone cantrip (perhaps through Magic Initiate or the like) opens up some sling options for Wisdom focused ranged attackers... Rangers or Inquisitive rogues most obviously...

Warlocks also have access to magic stone, so a cha secondary character could also profit - lightfoot halflings for example.

Naanomi
2018-08-22, 11:30 AM
Warlocks also have access to magic stone, so a cha secondary character could also profit - lightfoot halflings for example.
True, a Lightfoot Halfling Assassin focusing on Charisma and magic-stone would be a top-notch disguise master (as long as the disguise was a child of a larger race)

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 11:57 AM
True, a Lightfoot Halfling Assassin focusing on Charisma and magic-stone would be a top-notch disguise master (as long as the disguise was a child of a larger race)

Or, as you normally would get the cantrip via magic initiate, you could snatch disguise self from the warlock‘s spell list as your 1x/day first level spell - which would even allow for medium sized disguises as long as you avoid being touched.

Tanarii
2018-08-22, 02:30 PM
Use a a shield and go battle master or Rogue no u can't load them with one hand but they cost what 5c each? Pre load a belt full of them and go ham
How do tou preload a sling keep it that way without the stone/bullet falling out? Genuinely curious.

stoutstien
2018-08-22, 05:36 PM
Slings, in reality, can be pre loaded quite easily, if u look up a picture of one you see a length of cloth or leather that folds over and forms the pouch holding the stone in. So u load it and just tuck in your belt.

AugustNights
2018-08-23, 02:04 PM
Tavern Brawler feat would allow you to clobber your opponents with a loaded sling as an improvised weapon, for what it's worth.

stoutstien
2018-08-23, 02:12 PM
Interesting fact the sling is the only way to apply sneak attack damage that's blunt.

MeeposFire
2018-08-23, 08:47 PM
Interesting fact the sling is the only way to apply sneak attack damage that's blunt.

Which is a shame considering the club is actually a very classic rogue (thief) weapon being called out specifically as an example for backstabs that did not involve literally stabbing back in older versions of D&D.

stoutstien
2018-08-23, 10:53 PM
I rolled up a black jack that is a d4 blunt weapon that is finesse. Seems a tad weak but players enjoy it

ImproperJustice
2018-08-24, 06:39 AM
I rolled up a black jack that is a d4 blunt weapon that is finesse. Seems a tad weak but players enjoy it

We have something similar for a Cane.