PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Sorcerer of Mixed Heritage

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-20, 06:58 PM
I'm looking at doing something odd with a character. For it to work to its best effect, I need to be able to claim my character has multiple supernatural heritages for feat qualification.

Anybody know a way to do that outside of a permissive GM?

EDIT: Right. My bad.

3.5 only, no dragon. Should've known to put that in to begin with. :smallredface:

Palanan
2018-08-20, 07:34 PM
If Pathfinder is an option, there's the Crossblooded (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo-sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded/) archetype, which lets sorcerers mingle options from two different bloodlines.

Not sure if that's as many kinds of heritage as you need, but it's a start.

torrasque666
2018-08-20, 07:41 PM
Pathfinder also has the Mongrel Mage Sorcerer, which can change its bloodline daily.

One Step Two
2018-08-20, 09:56 PM
Outside of playing a mongrelfolk, claiming a diverse heritage is tricky.

Mechanically, you can apply an Inherited template to your character to gain a new Type or Subtype, then take a Bloodlinel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm), to diversify what else you can claim as you're heritage, then take an Actual set of Heritage feats, but unfortunately, the rules for Heritage Feats are such that you can only ever take one set.

Sleven
2018-08-20, 10:31 PM
What exactly are you trying to do mechanically? Because nothing in the Player Handbook prevents you from having any heritage, mix of heritages, or lack of heritage you want. So if it is just fluff requirements, you have the liberty to do that already.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-20, 10:37 PM
What exactly are you trying to do mechanically? Because nothing in the Player Handbook prevents you from having any heritage, mix of heritages, or lack of heritage you want. So if it is just fluff requirements, you have the liberty to do that already.

Trying to pick up multiple bloodline heritage feats from different trees for one.

Sleven
2018-08-20, 11:11 PM
Trying to pick up multiple bloodline feats from different trees for one.

Assuming you're talking about the bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium (since Dragon Magazine is barred to you), page 88 pretty clearly states:

A character may choose only one base bloodline feat.

So maybe think about a yuan-ti graft and Manipulate Form to give yourself an ability that allows you to have multiple bloodline feats? =/ Assuming you're playing at a strict RAW table.

Anything else I can recommend will require a DM hand-waving page 88. That being said, one thing that's often overlooked is the fact that the "restrictions" a bloodline feat places on you are called out as suggestions/recommendations by page 88. Which you are explicitly free to ignore.

If you want to get certain feats that aren't base bloodline feats (but are still bloodline feats further down their tree), the obvious cheese would be obtaining them via any possible unrestricted bonus feats you can acquire.

Zaq
2018-08-21, 01:34 AM
If you mean the "heritage" feats, per pp. 89-90 of PHB2, "while different sorts of heritage feats cannot normally be combined (see page 37 of the Planar Handbook supplement), a single sorcerer could possess draconic, infernal, and celestial sorcerer heritage feats." So there's a bit of support there.

If you want to get deep into RAW wankery, the rules about heritage feats in Complete Mage spend an awful lot of time talking about when you can and can't select heritage feats, so if you find a way to gain a heritage feat without selecting it (like, say, being temporarily granted one by a Void Disciple long enough to get the prereq out of the way and then using DCFS to permanently take subsequent feats), that would sidestep the restriction.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-21, 01:37 AM
Assuming you're talking about the bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium (since Dragon Magazine is barred to you), page 88 pretty clearly states:

So maybe think about a yuan-ti graft and Manipulate Form to give yourself an ability that allows you to have multiple bloodline feats? =/ Assuming you're playing at a strict RAW table.

Anything else I can recommend will require a DM hand-waving page 88. That being said, one thing that's often overlooked is the fact that the "restrictions" a bloodline feat places on you are called out as suggestions/recommendations by page 88. Which you are explicitly free to ignore.

If you want to get certain feats that aren't base bloodline feats (but are still bloodline feats further down their tree), the obvious cheese would be obtaining them via any possible unrestricted bonus feats you can acquire.

That one's my fault again. I meant heritage feats. The compendium is the same as the magazines at my table.

Darrin
2018-08-21, 11:10 AM
The only "rule" that says you are locked into a single heritage is in the Planar Handbook, but as Zaq pointed out, there's a "loophole" in PHBII specifically for sorcerers. The other heritage-type feats do not contain any such restrictions.

If you take a Dragonblooded race from Dragon Magic (or the Dragontouched feat), you're qualified to take Draconic feats even if you already have an established heritage. There is in fact a Dragonblood Sorcerer ACF that lets you trade your familiar for Draconic Heritage.

The only requirement for Aberrant Blood (Lords of Madness) is humanoid. So you can take that on top of a Planar/Celestial/Infernal heritage and a draconic heritage.

Abyssal Heritor feats (Fiendish Codex) also don't care about other heritages you might have. A dragonblooded sorcerer with Celestial Heritage and an Abyssal Heritor feat could legitimately claim three different "bloodlines" without breaking any of the "heritage" rules.