PDA

View Full Version : [E6] Alternative Spell Delivery Items

Allanimal
2018-08-21, 05:32 AM
In an E6 game that I am DMing, one PC is a beguiler, whose backstory includes her being a herbalist who makes scented candles that make various soothing effects. One in particular I remember is a candle that can reduce the effects of sea sickness. There was also one to help with sleep. Basically insignificant or minor mechanical effects at this point (so far it has never come up in play, though the party is getting on a ship next session, so the sea sickness one may come up).

I liked the idea and am starting to think if the PC can figure out how to make candles deliver spells or other more significant effects (within the constraints of E6). I’m thinking similar to a potion, in that the possible spells would be limited, and the effect limited to either to some small radius from the burning candle or only to the holder/possessor of the candle. Candle burns at a rate proportional to the spell duration, possibly the candle can be extinguished and re-lit later (this is a major difference and I need to think hard about that one)

Rather than reinvent the wheel, Does anyone know of anything similar has been published for 3.5 or pathfinder? If not, what about other editions or homebrew? Other RPGs?

If there isn’t anything out there already, I’ll try to come up with some mechanics of my own, and let you all point out the problems I will inevitably have missed.

Thanks!!

jdizzlean
2018-08-21, 06:40 AM
there's a few candles that do magical things right now, off the top of my head there's the candle of invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation), and the candle of truth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofTruth).

there's a discussion from this board (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?107784-3-5-Candle-of-invocation-so-broken) about some of the ways to abuse the hell out of invocation, which wouldn't come up in an e6 game, but it's good brain food to take in.

if you just think of the candles as scrolls, you can pretty much do anything with them, it's just a 1x use item, or multiply the cost for allowing them to be used multiple times

cartejos
2018-08-21, 06:44 AM
Best thing I could think of to offer is the Candle Caster from tome of blood. With a 3rd level spell early entry you can get up to 3rd level in the class with e6, first level without.
At first level it lets you scribe scroll but with candles, and at 3 it lets you brew potion but with candles.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-21, 08:08 AM
Complete arcane or complete mage has rules for alternative potions and scrolls, it's in the latter half of one of those books. It claims that you need craft wondrous item on top of the brew potion or scribe scroll item creation feats. I think that it had incense as a possible alternative.

It seems like scribe scroll is the one to base it off, seeing as how the 3.0 candle caster from tome and blood is based off of scribe scroll. If the player has the prereqs, point out the candle caster to them.

If the candles require a standard to activate I would just argue that it's a refluff. If you want the candle to handle concentration or be the nexus of area of effect (turning bullstrength into an area of effect while in the radius or something), then I would require the wondrous item feat tax as a prepayment for the potential future abuse.

Allanimal
2018-08-21, 08:15 AM
there's a discussion from this board (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?107784-3-5-Candle-of-invocation-so-broken) about some of the ways to abuse the hell out of invocation, which wouldn't come up in an e6 game, but it's good brain food to take in.

Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a read and keep the points in mind.

Best thing I could think of to offer is the Candle Caster from tome of blood.

Cool thanks. I’ll use that as a starting point.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-21, 08:33 AM
Complete arcane p.138ish. That's where the rules you want are

Allanimal
2018-08-21, 11:20 AM
Complete arcane p.138ish. That's where the rules you want are

Thanks, I knew I had seen something like that before, just couldn’t remember where.
That and your other post are a good starting spot.