PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Ways to raise effective Sorcerer level - NOT Caster Level - Excluding Race

lylsyly
2018-08-21, 12:20 PM
I am looking for Ways to raise effective Sorcerer level - NOT Caster Level.

All 1st Party/WoTC Web allowed

I know of Dragonspawn from DLCS (+1),
Loredrake from Dragons of Eberron (+2),
and Greater Rite of Draconic Passage from RotD (+1).

Are there other ways?

ExLibrisMortis
2018-08-21, 12:30 PM
Hivemind will do it. Gate in some wasp swarms and go. Requires ten levels in Vermin Lord.

There are some PrCs that might offer dual advancement, like the Ultimate Magus. You enter as wizard 1/sorcerer 4 with Arcane Preparation, Practiced Spellcaster, and Precocious Apprentice, and apply the +1 level of prepared casting class to sorcerer. In my opinion, it doesn't work--Arcane Preparation doesn't make a sorcerer a prepared caster--but some people allow it, and if it does, you get wizard 2 casting and sorcerer 20 casting at ECL 15. And there might be a way to drop the wizard level--I can't recall off-hand whether you can get the ability to cast 2nd-level prepared spells from a spellbook otherwise--in which case it's sorcerer 5/UM 10 with 22nd-level sorcerer casting at ECL 15.

Goaty14
2018-08-21, 12:34 PM
Take more levels in sorcerer? :smallconfused:

lylsyly
2018-08-21, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, it doesn't work----in which case it's sorcerer 5/UM 10 with 22nd-level sorcerer casting at ECL 15.

Not around these parts. I wouldn't get books thrown at me, they would throw the gaming table, And I Built The Bloody Thing! :smallwink:

Take more levels in sorcerer? :smallconfused:

DOH!! Now why didn't I think of that....

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-21, 12:53 PM
If you build a Dragonspawn from something other than Human or Half-Elf, it is instead a Dragonspawn Abomination, which uses a modified template from the Revised Bestiary of Krynn. You then make random rolls on the Abomination Mutations table, one of which is 'Magically Talented'-which increases your effective Sorcerer level by another +1.

lylsyly
2018-08-21, 01:04 PM
I am looking for Ways to raise effective Sorcerer level - NOT Caster Level.

All 1st Party/WoTC Web allowed

Are there other ways?

If you build a Dragonspawn from something other than Human or Half-Elf, it is instead a Dragonspawn Abomination, which uses a modified template from the Revised Bestiary of Krynn. You then make random rolls on the Abomination Mutations table, one of which is 'Magically Talented'-which increases your effective Sorcerer level by another +1.

Care to show me how that is a 1st Party Book?

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-21, 02:33 PM

Ah, missed that-Dragonspawn was updated in later Dragonlance books, so I defaulted assumptions there. In fairness, Dragonlance books are officially licensed products, complete with a modified WOTC logo; and are explicitly not OGL, right there in the credits page.

Troacctid
2018-08-21, 03:23 PM
I have a list of prestige classes that advance spellcasting. Link is in my signature.

Aren't those all racial options?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-21, 03:37 PM
Legacy champion and uncanny trickster will do it, if you advance sorcerer with them. Bloodlines? Maybe? You could also gain lycanthropy with lots of racial HD, gain some negative levels, wait 'till they become permanent, cast greater restoration to reset your XP total to your current ECL, store your total in a thought bottle, cure the lycanthropy, then regain your stored XP. Add those gained levels in sorcerer or one of the PrCs above. Then repeat as many times as you want.

Ruethgar
2018-08-21, 03:48 PM
Bloodlines need discussion with your GM on how they work, but combined with Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster they break the normal cap, especially if your GM rules RAWfully on Bloodlines(haha good luck with that) then you can get 77 sorcerer casting levels by lvl 2, though you have to be human or have more than god level Int or all the flaws for Open Minded.

Sleven
2018-08-21, 07:39 PM

Don't be a prick.

Bloodlines need discussion with your GM on how they work, but combined with Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster they break the normal cap, especially if your GM rules RAWfully on Bloodlines(haha good luck with that) then you can get 77 sorcerer casting levels by lvl 2, though you have to be human or have more than god level Int or all the flaws for Open Minded.

Bloodlines don't do what you think they do.

A bloodline level grants no increase in base attack bonus or base save bonuses, no hit points or skill points, and no class features.
[...]
The character doesn't gain any abilities, spells known, or spells per day from the addition of his bloodline levels

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the bloodline rules. They're fairly simple, and are nowhere near the most poorly written thing WotC has ever produced.

EDIT: Every contradiction caused by earlier paragraphs is given clarification by subsequent ones. There's no reason for someone to get confused. Most people aren't even aware of the actual problems with bloodlines.

Ruethgar
2018-08-21, 09:28 PM
Uncanny Trickster increases effective class level for every level except first. 76 bloodline levels advancing that is what can grant the casting, not the bloodline itself directly.

Sleven
2018-08-21, 09:43 PM
Uncanny Trickster increases effective class level for every level except first. 76 bloodline levels advancing that is what can grant the casting, not the bloodline itself directly.

I'm not sure if you're trolling?

A bloodline level grants no [...] class features.

The Uncanny Trickster's Class Features ability is a class feature... in fact it's the first one under the heading that says "Class Features".

Ruethgar
2018-08-21, 09:51 PM
Include the character's bloodline level when calculating any character ability based on his class levels
The Class Features ability advances by class level and is thus eligible. Bloodlines are called out as not granting class features, but they do advance class levels based class features.

Sleven
2018-08-21, 10:24 PM
The Class Features ability advances by class level and is thus eligible. Bloodlines are called out as not granting class features, but they do advance class levels based class features.

I can see you didn't bother to read the rest of the paragraph you quoted where it details exactly what types of things bloodline levels count towards. I pointed this out in my first reply and you've willfully chosen to ignore it, so there really isn't much to discuss here.

Ruethgar
2018-08-22, 12:01 AM
Parenthetical lists are examples not exhaustive and the bloodline itself does not grant spells or spellcasting.

lylsyly
2018-08-22, 12:13 PM
Aren't those all racial options?

Sorry, should have been more specific. Not looking for Races that come with spellcasting levels.

Don't be a prick.

Wow! Name calling ... what an effective way to join a conversation. Welcome to my Ignore List!