PDA

View Full Version : What celestials can you summon?

VoxRationis
2018-08-21, 01:50 PM
What can the spell Conjure Celestial do? The only statted celestials I know of are the angels, which are well above the spell's CR limit. (I miss lantern archons.)

gloryblaze
2018-08-21, 01:58 PM
What can the spell Conjure Celestial do? The only statted celestials I know of are the angels, which are well above the spell's CR limit. (I miss lantern archons.)

Conjure Celestial can summon a pegasus or a couatl, or (with a 9th level slot) a unicorn.

leogobsin
2018-08-21, 01:59 PM
From the Monster Manual there's the Couatl (CR4), Pegasus (CR2), and using a 9th level slot you open up the option of Unicorn (CR5). There might be some more options in Volo's and Mordenkainen's, I'd have to look through them to be sure.

Edit: On looking through, Volo's only has the CR12 Ki-rin, and Mord's doesn't add any new celestials, so looks like those three are your only options for officially published stuff.

VoxRationis
2018-08-21, 02:07 PM
A unicorn does not seem to be a sufficient improvement over a couatl that it justifies using a 9th-level slot.

Millstone85
2018-08-21, 02:17 PM
CR
Celestial

Pegasus

Couatl

Unicorn

Deva

Ki-rin*

Planetar

Solar

Empyrean

* From Volo's Guide to Monsters.

leogobsin
2018-08-21, 02:26 PM
A unicorn does not seem to be a sufficient improvement over a couatl that it justifies using a 9th-level slot.

You're probably not wrong, but then again a Cleric (the only class that gets access to Conjure Celestial) doesn't necessarily have much better to do with their 9th level slot.

jacob902uhhs
2018-08-22, 08:40 AM
You're probably not wrong, but then again a Cleric (the only class that gets access to Conjure Celestial) doesn't necessarily have much better to do with their 9th level slot.

Comparing the two, I'd rather have a Coatl and my 9th Level Slot for Mass Heal than have a Unicorn and no 9th Level Slot.

Coautl CR 4
AC 19 HP 97
30ft, fly 90ft
Truesight 120ft
At will: detect evil and good, detect magic, detect thoughts
3/day each: bless, create food and water, cure wounds, lesser restoration, protection from poison, sanctuary, shield
1/day each: dream, greater restoration, scrying
Change Shape
Bite: DC 13 Con, unconscious for 24 hours.

VS

Unicorn CR5
AC 12 HP 67
50ft
Darkvision 60ft
At will: detect evil and good, druidcraft, pass without trace
1/day each: calm emotions, dispel evil and good, entangle
Healing Touch: 3/D 2d8+2, cure Disease and Poison
Teleport: 1/D 3 creatures, up to 1 mile.
Legendary Actions
Hooves: 1 Attack
Shimmering Shield: (2) +2 AC on target until end of next turn
Heal Self: (3) Heals 2d8+2

The Coautl clearly wins in my opinion.

Monster Manuel
2018-08-22, 11:25 AM
(I miss lantern archons.)

Amen to that. All the Archons, really. The Hound was one of my go-to guys.

Conjuration magic is only as good as the available creatures to conjure. With only three options available in the books so far, it's really not an attractive spell, especially at the level it's at. Monster stats for Celestials are one of the big-ticket items that I still feel the lack of in 5E. Not even anything in a UA...

Aurthur
2018-08-22, 01:21 PM
If you use Tome of Beasts, they have a few:

Celestial, CR
Andrenjinyi, 15
Angel, Chained, 8
Angel, Fidele, 5
Buraq, 11
Hundun, 10
Ratatosk, 4
Sandman, 5
Skein Witch, 12
Temple Dog, 5
Titan, Ancient, 12
Uraeus, 2
Valkyrie, 11

Beechgnome
2018-08-22, 09:11 PM
I hope a future book (manual of planes, adventure campaign, whatever) addresses this obvious gap, just as Volo's helped with fey and Mordenkainen's helped with more fiends.

Archons, Guardinals, whatever celestial they decide lives in Arborea now, moon dogs, quasers, lillends, zovari, warden beasts, lamassu, shedu, foo creatures, hollyphants, something new... There are lots of celestials they could use. They just need to give us more than 8.

MeimuHakurei
2018-08-23, 02:07 AM
Taken from D&D 3.5, there's seven possible returning celestials of CR 5 or lower - since the types were different, I browsed for Outsiders with the Good subtype. Note that these may get a different CR if they end up being ported:

Coure (CR 2)
Lantern Archon (CR 2)
Musteval (CR 2)
Bariaur (CR 3)
Cervidal (CR 3)
Hound Archon (CR 4)
Lupinal (CR 5)

VoxRationis
2018-08-23, 09:17 AM
I hope a future book (manual of planes, adventure campaign, whatever) addresses this obvious gap, just as Volo's helped with fey and Mordenkainen's helped with more fiends.

Archons, Guardinals, whatever celestial they decide lives in Arborea now, moon dogs, quasers, lillends, zovari, warden beasts, lamassu, shedu, foo creatures, hollyphants, something new... There are lots of celestials they could use. They just need to give us more than 8.

Frankly, Mordenkainen's should have had more celestials in it, especially since it made a big deal in its intro about maintaining a balance, and therefore included the possibility of fighting the forces of Good at some point. That would have been a much better inclusion than a bunch of highly specific campaign information about how Corellon Larethian hates fixed material forms.