PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Underused Monsters

Thurbane
2018-08-21, 03:03 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering: are there any monsters you like, but never seem to get used in adventures or mentioned on forums?

I'm always looking to throw new monsters at my parties, so be nice to know of any obscure beasties I may not be aware of.

Off the top of my head, there's Void Walker (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031219a), which I used for a VC entry: Soratōkā (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22297554&postcount=169)

Cheers - T

Palanan
2018-08-21, 03:33 PM
One of my favorite obscure monsters from 3.5 is tucked away in the back of Secrets of Sarlona. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember the exact name, but it's a vaguely draconic creature with a particular talent for drinking magic from spellcasters and magic items--and using that magic against its opponents. It also has an especially nasty feature that causes the wounds it deals to be resistant to healing magic.

I threw one of these at the party in a game I ran several years ago, and it was one of the most memorable encounters in the campaign. By the end of it the entire party was broken and scattered, and even after they finally got back together they were in a world of hurt because they couldn't heal the damage they'd received. The creature hadn't even been trying to kill them very hard; mainly it had just wanted to snack on their magic.

There are only a couple monsters in the very back of Secrets of Sarlona, which is better known for its psionics, and I think most people don't even realize they're in the book at all. But I had a great time with the magic-drinker, the party had a harrowing yet memorable experience, and I'm looking forward to using it again.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-21, 04:20 PM
Psi-crystal swarm?

Particle_Man
2018-08-21, 04:34 PM
Some of the Magic of Incarnum monsters look neat but you need to have MoI in the campaign to use them. You could throw a purple dragon at them and force them to guess what alignment it is.

I think green slime gets underused simply because it is reclassified as a hazard. So you don't run into it tip-toeing through the MMs.

Mike Miller
2018-08-21, 04:43 PM
I like the slight variations to generic monsters, like the Flind Gnolls. I play them up as being snobby elites of an otherwise underutilized race.

Although dragons probably aren't something to use frequently, the lesser used planar dragons are neat for a change of pace from the standard metallic and chromatic choices.

Thurbane
2018-08-21, 05:18 PM
One of my favorite obscure monsters from 3.5 is tucked away in the back of Secrets of Sarlona. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember the exact name, but it's a vaguely draconic creature with a particular talent for drinking magic from spellcasters and magic items--and using that magic against its opponents. It also has an especially nasty feature that causes the wounds it deals to be resistant to healing magic.

I threw one of these at the party in a game I ran several years ago, and it was one of the most memorable encounters in the campaign. By the end of it the entire party was broken and scattered, and even after they finally got back together they were in a world of hurt because they couldn't heal the damage they'd received. The creature hadn't even been trying to kill them very hard; mainly it had just wanted to snack on their magic.

There are only a couple monsters in the very back of Secrets of Sarlona, which is better known for its psionics, and I think most people don't even realize they're in the book at all. But I had a great time with the magic-drinker, the party had a harrowing yet memorable experience, and I'm looking forward to using it again.

Sounds like you're talking about the Essence Reaver. I too was unaware of this creature. Sounds like a perfect encounter for my party!

mabriss lethe
2018-08-21, 05:37 PM
The Radiant Idol from Sharn: City of Towers.

Seriously, a fallen Angel complete with its own cult and capable of a lot of customization.

Thurbane
2018-08-21, 08:35 PM
Some of the Magic of Incarnum monsters look neat but you need to have MoI in the campaign to use them. You could throw a purple dragon at them and force them to guess what alignment it is.
I recently came across the Lost template in the VC, and was intrigued by it.

The Radiant Idol from Sharn: City of Towers.

Seriously, a fallen Angel complete with its own cult and capable of a lot of customization.

Love this one, thanks fro bringing it to my attention.

unseenmage
2018-08-21, 08:39 PM
The Golem Remnant from Far Corners of the World: Monsters of the Lost City (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a) is an example of an undead Construct that I've never gotten to use or fight.

Palanan
2018-08-21, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
Sounds like you're talking about the Essence Reaver. I too was unaware of this creature. Sounds like a perfect encounter for my party!

That’s the name, thanks. Definitely obscure and challenging.

When I ran the encounter, I removed the overtly draconic elements—because the creature doesn’t really need to have any connection to dragons—and paired it with some creature artwork that was much creepier. The party was seventh or eighth level, and they’d been rolling the past few encounters, so this gave them a strong dose of terror and humility. They were really wrecked after this thing went through them.

Sleven
2018-08-21, 08:50 PM
For me it has to be the Zern. They can change their bodies at will to adapt their tactics for any given encounter and have this whole "racial superiority" fluff about them that makes them great antagonists for a party of any alignment. If you've ever roleplayed in one of my new world/exploration settings, you've probably seen or been ambushed by them at least once.

Bullet06320
2018-08-22, 12:36 AM
Flumphs
everyone thinks they are cute and cuddly till they try and take over the world

you know, that moment when you realize the lords of waterdeep are really controlled by an ancient vampire thrallherd flumph...

finaldooms
2018-08-22, 05:32 AM
Dalmosh from MM5 ..i literally used him once..as a sidekick to the main boss so he did not get the justice he deserved..

Fizban
2018-08-22, 06:55 AM
For me it has to be the Zern. They can change their bodies at will to adapt their tactics for any given encounter and have this whole "racial superiority" fluff about them that makes them great antagonists for a party of any alignment. If you've ever roleplayed in one of my new world/exploration settings, you've probably seen or been ambushed by them at least once.

I was also going to say the Zern. While they lack any "RAW" ability to make anything, their fluff gives them carte blanch to basically make whatever hideous aberrations you want, thus actually justifying the use of those monsters together. As a later "serious antagonist" type of monster they're kitted out with a ranged touch no save no type just damage ray, perfect for putting pressure on PCs who expect to resist everything with high saves and/or energy resistance. Their main problem is being a package deal: if they're not too weak then there's a good chance they're too strong, with little recourse for fine tuning other than just editing the statblock. That an a big focus on being able to alter themselves, most of which doesn't matter because even in damage mode they have no reason to use anything other than their warp energy, and no social skills to be scary infiltrator types. So in the end I go from wow cool to eh not gonna work.

I don't think I've ever seen Energons used or talked about much, even being one of the super alternate summon monsters.

Ever since I fought an Ekolid and looked up the stats, I've been laughing at all the people running scared of wight-ocalypses when things could be so much worse. No one else seems to have noticed.

The Elemental Drakes in Draconomicon have always seemed pretty cool, but never get used. There's just so many types of dragon but not a True dragon that they're all superfluous, even the True dragons- but at the end of they day if you're picking a smaller number of dragons, you're not gonna pick one of these. Though speaking of dragons, Oceanic dragons are cool and more people should use them. And Dragon Turtles, they just don't have much in the way of a good use, but they're cool. If only Manifest Greater Dragon Heritage was a bit lower level.

Leskylors from BoED are possibly too cool for school: flying white tigers that can see evil and breathe ice at it.

Want something exceedingly large and more terrifying? How 'bout a Neothelid from XPH. It's like a Purple Worm, but instead of burrowing it has a ludicrous amount of psionic abilities and red dragon-tier breath weapon?

tricktroller
2018-08-22, 07:13 AM
One of my absolute favorite monsters is legion devils from FC2 (pg 122)

They have all sorts of nifty abilities and can remain a challenge even for high-level groups.

I also love Corrupter of Fate from MM4 pg 190

Kyrell1978
2018-08-22, 07:35 AM
Probably Merfolk. I haven't seen a tremendous amount of Sea Based adventures in general so Sahuagin too for that matter, and perhaps Koa Toa, but they seem a little more common.

Cosi
2018-08-22, 08:22 AM
Myconids are cool. Implacable fields of fungus slowly advancing to cover the world, backed by alchemical and necromantic magic.

The Tauric template doesn't get enough play. Particularly for less common creatures. Like Tauric Crab/Thri-kreen or Tauric Ant/Goblins or something.

The Protean Scourge's splitting ability makes it an interesting adversary, particularly if you advance it with class levels.

I thought the sleep-bug things from the MMV were kind of neat. IIRC they had some interesting mechanics for a low-ish level adventure.

The Horrific Vasuthant seems like it has potential as a horrible time-altering monstrosity, but I'm kind of unimpressed by how it shakes out. The 1/round Alter Past isn't really enough to hang a monster on.

I do wish the MM3 variants of the Warforged got more attention. I feel like the concept of "robot people" is kind of wasted by having them all be just standard people in standard humanoid bodies.

Kyrell1978
2018-08-22, 09:59 AM
Myconids are cool. Implacable fields of fungus slowly advancing to cover the world, backed by alchemical and necromantic magic.

The Tauric template doesn't get enough play. Particularly for less common creatures. Like Tauric Crab/Thri-kreen or Tauric Ant/Goblins or something.

I do wish the MM3 variants of the Warforged got more attention. I feel like the concept of "robot people" is kind of wasted by having them all be just standard people in standard humanoid bodies.
You just reminded me of a buddy of mine that played a tauric warforged knight who acted as his own mount.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-22, 10:05 AM
Infectious Zombies from City of Stormreach. For the genuine zombie apocalypse experience.
I used them in a low level campaign once. Since the party lacked anyone capable of casting Remove Disease the threat of being zombified was pretty real and added some nice tension.

Also the Nishruu from LEoF. Their gaseus form, immunities, swarm attack and magic eating make them fantastic ambush predators.

Particle_Man
2018-08-22, 12:54 PM
Probably Merfolk. I haven't seen a tremendous amount of Sea Based adventures in general so Sahuagin too for that matter, and perhaps Koa Toa, but they seem a little more common.

And my trident! [/underwater Lotr]

Now I want to combine MoI and underwater stuff. Hmmmm . . .

The Viscount
2018-08-22, 07:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the Fensir. Their size and rock throwing can make you think that they're just like hill giants, but they all cast as 5th level wizards so can throw the party for a loop, and the Fiend Folio even gives a little detail on intelligent use of their at will transmute rock to mud and rock to mud. You could even have a stone golem thrown in the mix, and have them use their SLAs to heal it up. The fact that they're all born as twins, and the whole explanation for the Rakka makes for a good few sessions if you want to lean into a twisted family story for a few sessions.

Endarire
2018-08-22, 11:09 PM
Most of then that aren't a version from outside the game (dragons, demons, angels, fey, trolls, goblins, ogres, etc.) nor iconic D&D creaturs (umber hulks, illithids, etc.).

Kyrell1978
2018-08-22, 11:26 PM
And my trident! [/underwater Lotr]

Now I want to combine MoI and underwater stuff. Hmmmm . . .
Run by white plume mountain first and grab wave. Lol.

Crake
2018-08-23, 12:53 AM
I'm currently running a side-story involving mindshredders (MM3, p102), including a homebrewed kerrigan-esque hive queen.

AlanBruce
2018-08-23, 01:10 AM
I sent a Julajimus (MM2) at a mid level party when they were exploring some ancient forgotten forest, far away from any town.

It's a baboon faced monstrosity with a rat's tail (if memory serves)... that can turn into cuddly little forest critters, like squirrels and bunnies. The better to lure unsuspecting travelers into a false sense of safety when that rustling turns out to be a tiny critter, best fed and petted, maybe even get it domesticated and turned into the party mascot.

And then the SOB turns as a free action, I believe, to its Huge form and roars at the party. It's roar deals non lethal sonic damage and can deafen, so in a party where more than half are spell casters...

Nothing like running for your life in a dark forest while being pursued by a gigantic ape like aberration, reveling in their fear.

Another good one is the Protean Scourge (MM3). Devil looking monstrous humanoid that advances through class levels, with sorcerer as a favored class. It's got resistances, SR and DR. But that's not the kicker:

if hurt by a slashing weapon, a Protean Scourge splits in two. Each is the real deal and although they share the same spell pool, action economy goes through the roof if you optimize that bastard pretty well by changing its spell selection rather than the one presented in their entry.

Eldan
2018-08-23, 02:14 AM
I still never got to use a Joystealer.

Segev
2018-08-23, 09:44 AM
I am fond of the Shimmerling Swarm from MMIII. On the next page is the only construct swarm I've ever seen, as well.

Also, I don't think Cranium Rats get used all that often.

Water Weirds also seem like they've got a lot of underutilized potential.

Dalmosh from MM5 ..i literally used him once..as a sidekick to the main boss so he did not get the justice he deserved..
And now, for some reason, I have a mental image of Dalmosh with the personality of a particularly rambunctious child, taking his "dog" for a walk. The "dog" is the Terrasque.

Buufreak
2018-08-23, 09:31 PM
Never got to use any illithid or kin. I'd love to make a full fledged campaign with ultimate outcomes being bleak, bleaker, and fully fubar.

Particle_Man
2018-08-23, 11:59 PM
That is a cool idea. I have heard of one pre-rebellion of the Gith campaign that worked like that.

PunBlake
2018-08-24, 12:30 AM
Spell Weavers (MM2 + Dragon Mag 338) are cool. Using the fluff from "Ecology of the Spell Weaver," I made a LN last-of-his-race guy be both main quest hub and final boss of a Sliders-style campaign I ran once. His goal was to complete a ritual to turn back time to before his race was destoryed by a magical calamity and prevent it. He summoned the party members via Gates and sent the PCs around to multiple planes with a 1/(1d7 days) Plane Shift item to fetch ritual magic components for him. Once they found out what he was doing would make it so they (and their ancestors) didn't exist, it became a fight to stop him.

Eldan
2018-08-24, 02:29 AM
That is a cool idea. I have heard of one pre-rebellion of the Gith campaign that worked like that.

Or a full-on planetary invasion of the Illithid spelljamming empire.

Buufreak
2018-08-24, 08:29 AM
Or a full-on planetary invasion of the Illithid spelljamming empire.

That's vaguely the idea I wanted to run with. Something similar to how screwed up the start of X-Com 2 is.