PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Rogue PrC?

Palanan
2018-08-21, 03:22 PM
Is there a PrC that advances both rogue and ranger class features?

I’m open to anything from official 3.5 and Paizo sources, as well as Dragon content. I thought I’d seen something like this somewhere, but can’t bring it to mind right now.

heavyfuel
2018-08-21, 05:57 PM
The "Slayer" class from PF is a base class that combines Rogue and Ranger abilities quite well. Doesn't have spellcasting though.

Similarly, Wilderness Rogue from UA plays a similar role.

As for straight up combining them with a PRC, I really don't know.

Telonius
2018-08-21, 05:59 PM
Darkwood Stalker (CWar) kinda-sorta does this. It has some sneak attack progression, and gives Favored Enemy-like bonuses, but only against Orcs.

Thurbane
2018-08-21, 06:49 PM
Shade Hunter (CoR) improves sneak attack and favored Enemy (shades)

SLOTHRPG95
2018-08-23, 02:11 AM
Not a prestige class per se, but Paladin? With the feats Devoted Inquisitor and Devoted Tracker (both from Complete Adventuruer), you're improving your animal companion as you take levels in Paladin. You're also increasing the power of a limited number of your sneak attacks per day (i.e. smiting sneak attacks that daze opponents). Probably not what you're looking for, but funny that it's easier to find weird stuff like that than a PrC that blends rogue and ranger. Or you could just go Scout to begin with, which is already sort of a mix of the two.

PunBlake
2018-08-23, 11:06 AM
In 3.5, ranger and rogue don't have much book-published synergy. Ranger / Scout, however...

Highland Stalker (CAdv) is a blend of ranger and scout (that you can qualify for with ranger / rogue) with no spellcasting, Full BAB, and skirmish progression. However, it's better if blending ranger and scout to go Scout 4 / Ranger 16 and use Swift Hunter (CSco) for the ranger spells.

Side note, since Ranger / Paladin was mentioned: Shout out to Ranger Knight of Furyondy (Dragon Mag 317). It's pretty good.

Nifft
2018-08-23, 12:01 PM
In 3.5, ranger and rogue don't have much book-published synergy. Ranger / Scout, however...

I was about to pitch the Scout itself as a Ranger/Rogue hybrid, but you're right -- a Ranger/Scout is even better as a hybrid.

Palanan
2018-08-23, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by heavyfuel
The "Slayer" class from PF is a base class that combines Rogue and Ranger abilities quite well. Doesn't have spellcasting though.

Similarly, Wilderness Rogue from UA plays a similar role.

Originally Posted by Telonius
Darkwood Stalker (CWar) kinda-sorta does this. It has some sneak attack progression, and gives Favored Enemy-like bonuses, but only against Orcs.

Thanks, I'm familiar with these. The Darkwood Stalker is definitely pretty specialized.

Originally Posted by Thurbane
Shade Hunter (CoR) improves sneak attack and favored Enemy (shades)

I’ve never heard of this before, thanks. It’s a little odd, with a haphazard mix of rogue-ish abilities plus spellcasting and a very situational favored enemy. Despite that it’s fairly interesting.

Not sure why they need to be evil, since this seems like Indiana Jones + Van Helsing, but I assume that was required to fit into the overall theme of the book.

Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95
With the feats Devoted Inquisitor and Devoted Tracker (both from Complete Adventuruer), you're improving your animal companion as you take levels in Paladin.

Devoted Tracker lets you do this, but Devoted Inquisitor doesn’t mention the animal companion, only the dazing smite.

Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95
Probably not what you're looking for, but funny that it's easier to find weird stuff like that than a PrC that blends rogue and ranger.

I could’ve sworn there was a feat that let you advance rogue and ranger abilities together, but I looked through several of the Completes and couldn’t find it.

Originally Posted by PunBlake
Side note, since Ranger / Paladin was mentioned: Shout out to Ranger Knight of Furyondy (Dragon Mag 317). It's pretty good.

Okay, thanks. That seems pretty focused on mounted combat, but it’s certainly interesting, and it’s already given me some ideas.

heavyfuel
2018-08-23, 11:57 PM
I just remembered something. The DMG has (sort of) this class... The "Undead Stalker" is described on page 175, right before the "Prestige Classes" part.

It's basically a Ranger with Sneak Attack that only works against undead. It's a terribly narrow class though.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-08-24, 02:24 AM
Devoted Tracker lets you do this, but Devoted Inquisitor doesn’t mention the animal companion, only the dazing smite.

I could’ve sworn there was a feat that let you advance rogue and ranger abilities together, but I looked through several of the Completes and couldn’t find it.

Yes, I mention dazing smite in the next sentence. My point isn't that the feats do the same thing, it was that if you take them BOTH, you get these two things, i.e. progression of animal companion and dazing smite (which could sort of be viewed as weak, modified progression of sneak attack). But for the most part, this wasn't a serious suggestion. I also could've sworn there was a feat that let you advance rogue and ranger together, and the hunt for such a feat (or a way to simulate it) was what led to me looking at these feats in Complete Adventurer.

Arkhios
2018-08-24, 12:17 PM

There is a series of feats in Complete Adventurer that blend monk with — at least — Paladin, Rogue, and surprisingly Sorcerer. Apparently also with Ranger. Maybe those feats got you thinking something similar for rogue/rangers?

OgresAreCute
2018-08-24, 01:59 PM
There is a series of feats in Complete Adventurer that blend monk with — at least — Paladin, Rogue, and surprisingly Sorcerer. Apparently also with Ranger. Maybe those feats got you thinking something similar for rogue/rangers?

There's also a rogue/swashbuckler feat (Daring Outlaw) and a ranger/scout feat (Swift Hunter?). Scout is pretty similar to rogue in many ways, so if I wanted to do rogue/ranger I'd just go swift hunter.