PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sell me your pc idea

Angelmaker
2018-08-21, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

It's time to die again!

So far, in a homebrew eberon based 5e campaign, i died twice. Halfling ranger, callie bottlebottom, she was kickass and the bad conscious of the group. Thrn i had kunos harrowborn, goliath brute warrior (unearthed arcana), and lawful neutral good conscious of the party. Both were fun to play, both were beloved or hated by the party and both are wormfood by now.

Sell me your worst (or best) character concept that you would want me to play, as long as it is not a fighter or barbarian, i had plenty of those. Group has most roles covered, so no need to account for that.

Level 7, standard point buy, all books accounted for, as far as i can tell. (Scag and beholder-guy are defintely a go).

Additinal information: campaign seems to be ending soonish around level 8/9. group itself has been lately very sloppy with the rp, so anything to engage them with is a bit plus.

Thanks. :)

Snowbluff
2018-08-21, 04:28 PM
I like Warlocks with the Sage Background. Either they have sacred knowledge they are hiding or they sold their soul.
I'm working on a Bard/Fighter/Hexblade with this in mind. If you take 2 Fighter and 5 Hexblade you can have some good fighting ability.

I've always wanted to try a 5e arcane heirophant. Moon Druid 2/Bladesinger 2 at least. Blade song and Mage Armor really help buff a beast form. Furthermore, picking up extra attack is good with some forms, like Giant Constrictor Snake or giant octopi.

Paladin2/Swords Bard 6 is pretty great. I dual wield short swords as one.

Bladesinger + Arcane Trickster is a really slick combination as well, whether or not you use blade cantrips.

Ventruenox
2018-08-21, 04:38 PM
Go for a Fierna Tiefling Bard, College of Satire (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf). Pattern him after Zach Galifianakis' character in Dinner for Schmucks.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-21, 07:14 PM
Half-Elven (possibly Human) Druid, Circle of the Shepherd. Fluff all summons as farm animals, but mostly big and angry chickens.

Name the character Link. Summon the Cucco Revenge Squad on your enemies. And run around as a Wolf, I suppose.

Bonus points if you can get a Familiar that's able to do the talking for your character.
Lose points if said Familiar tends to go "Hey! Listen!!"
For obvious reasons.

dragoeniex
2018-08-21, 07:41 PM
A swashbuckler rogue who's deathly afraid of large bodies of water. Tells grand, sweeping tales of sea escapades they've never actually been a part of because- while good at learning the basic skills required- they couldn't force themselves to stay on a ship after all. It was really just the idea of sea faring they liked, and they can still talk about that without most people catching on.

Or perhaps they did for a short time. It was an enjoyable stint, and they were learning a lot right up until a sea monstrosity or large storm claimed the ship. They made some cowardly decisions to save their own neck that possibly doomed someone else, making it hard to recount.

Could be played either comedic, dramatic, or both like that. Maybe toss in a couple levels of bard for the story-telling and inspiring people aspect.

Or focus full swashbuckler and build the absolute best pirate who will never ever set sail. A lot of feats would be fun to flavor it with. Plus, the class is just plain fun in melee with how you get to duck in and out.

Callak_Remier
2018-08-21, 11:06 PM
Dragonkin Dragon blood sorcerer from 2 different types of dragon.

A Mountain dwarf Wizard in Heavy armor

An Arcana Domain high Elf cleric.

Mad Max
2018-08-21, 11:29 PM
A Warforged who wants oh-so-desperately to be a human. They act how they think humans do, and have little personality of their own, and they are constantly trying to disguise themself as a human.

Alternatively, a Warforged that was built wrong, and came out halfling sized. The appropriate level of frustration and height envy applies.

Alternatively (again), a Warforged that was used as a conduit for a ritual to make a wizard immortal that went haywire. Now, the wizard is in the Warforged body, but the warforged mind stills controls it, and the two argue day and night. Alternate levels of wizard and fighter, or meet in the middle (bladesinger or eldritch knight) to represent this.

Alternatively (one last time), a Warforged druid (or ranger) that was not made in a factory, and isn't comprised of metal, but is instead made of wood, and was born in the forest. If that doesn't suit you, they could have contracted amnesia in the forest, and decided they were created by the gods to defend it.

I have a lot of warforged ideas, I guess.

The Robot Goat
2018-08-21, 11:35 PM
Clarence Beetroot: A halfling ranger that wants to hunt and eat every kind of beast or monster known to man, but no cannibalism, yuck (unless Eberron halflings are cannibals, I honestly don't know). Kraken Calimari (kalimari), Water Elemental a la Mode, Fire Dragon on a Stick, etc etc. Hideously overconfident, motivated mostly by hunger, but a good halfling at heart.

"I've got a stomach of steel, a belly of brass, and a small intestine of iron!"

snowman87
2018-08-21, 11:45 PM
A human sorcerer who believes he is really a Beholder who was True Polymorphed into his current form and seeks a way to transform back. Take spells to replicate eye rays. Speak Deep Speech at people. Curse yourself for this inferior, pathetic, weak form. Are you really a Beholder? Are you just crazy? *shrug*

Arvin Natsuko
2018-08-22, 12:07 AM
A human sorcerer who believes he is really a Beholder who was True Polymorphed into his current form and seeks a way to transform back. Take spells to replicate eye rays. Speak Deep Speech at people. Curse yourself for this inferior, pathetic, weak form. Are you really a Beholder? Are you just crazy? *shrug*

This. Please do this.

kamap
2018-08-22, 02:11 AM
A monk with a temper problem. In the spoiler is his background, I've already played him in a oneshot, was fun but not a character I'd like to play long.

I’ve always been impetuous and a hothead, I always got myself into fights.
Staying put was another problem of mine, staying in the same place for an extended time was and is still hard for me.
On my many travels I met an old monk who thought he could help temper me.
He advised me to join him and his fellow monks in his monastery, he told me that after years of rigorous training and discipline I would lose my temper and would calm down, the training and discipline worked up to a fashion.
I’m more level headed now, I don’t really lose my temper all that fast anymore but the times I do loose it mostly means a few broken bones for the ones that made me lose my temper.
So I explode less, the explosions are just bigger.
I can stay at a place longer than before and I now have a place I can return to and calm down if the world gets too much for me.
So all in all its an improvement.
Though my temper still gets me in trouble though.
Like right now my hands and feet are shackled to a chain with at least a dozen more others who will be sold as slaves. We seem to be on some kind of ship.
I let my temper get the best of me and pounded the pompous arse who thought he was better than me, he thought I should be apologizing profusely and should debase myself for daring to touch him while he was the one to bump into me, the self-righteous bastard.
Little did I know that he was some kind of crime lord on a stroll through town and his bodyguards where close by and a tad too much for me. I did get a good few licks in but then got clobbered on the head and apparently chained and dragged off to this ship.
Maybe if I survive this ordeal and can escape I’ll learn what all those years in the monastery couldn’t teach me. If I do make it out of here, I’ll need a break and maybe some more years of training and discipline.

A halfling riding a giant wolf spider.
Make sure it has some kind of harness or "saddle" that you can strap yourself into, so you can walk on ceilings. You'll have a speed of 40 as long as you're on your spider, even when climbing or on ceilings. You can poison your arrows with your spiders venom.
Go have a drink in a tavern and let your spider carry you onto the bar it will surely attract attention.

This is a work in progress I'm working on and nothing really concrete but you can figure out the rest.
An abjuration wizard with a splash of hexblade warlock with pact of the tome A gish that deals more dmg back then it receives dmg.
You can have 18 AC easily (with 14 dex), as invocations its book of ancients secrets for find familiar and alarm, free arcane ward via ritual at the start and end of the day and anywhere in between you have some time to kill. Armor of shadows as the other invocation to regularly feed your arcane ward some HP though you wont benefit from mage armor since you'll be wearing armor as a hexblade so maybe another invocation that you find more interesting.
You'll be attacking with charisma cause of hexblade so I'd take the minimum in int (which is 13 for MC) and pump con, cha and dex (14) then look for spells that don't have rolls for anything.

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 04:28 AM
Hill/Mountain Dwarf Monkbarian - the original drunk master.
Str>Dex>Con>Wis
Barb 1/monk 6 is sufficient, barb 2 would give you reckless attack if you want it, but i wouldn’t start with a more even split - you‘d miss out on extra attack.
You’re a strength monk with less-than-stellar AC, but rage, deflect missiles and bonus action dodges when needed should cover up for that.
If you take open hand as your monk subclass, you get an 18hp self heal action (and can knock people prone/push them away/rob them of their reaction to flee), and if you take the dwarven fortitude feat (which will admittedly hurt your chance to hit etc.) you can heal and dodge on a bonus action.
Two unarmed attacks with 16str are worth 1d6+5 each, then you either flurry for another two of those hits (4d6+20 damage if i‘m not mistaken) or take the dodge action for disadvantage on attacks against you plus advantage on your dex saves AND heal yourself for 1d12+Con (1d8+con later on). You also get a slightly higher movement speed, can reduce damage from ranged attacks on a reaction etc.
If you take a second level of barbarian, you can recklessly attack for advantage on your two main attacks and offset the downside with a bonus action dodge, or if you’re feeling lucky you can attack 4 times with advantage.
Take proficiency in acrobatics to break grapples and to explain your graceful movements while ****faced, get proficiency with brewing supplies by race, done.

Flavorwise, this character is a former city guard who grew tired of procedure and bureaucracy, so he retired and joined a monastery - not one of the eastern ones with meditation and martial arts, more of a middle age european one, where brewing beer was the main pastime for the monks.
Always carrying a keg of his brew around, he‘s known for throwing a tantrum whenever he drinks too much of it (=rage), but that rarely ever happens, he’s a dwarf after all (=only 2 rages per day). Weirdly enough, while he’s a nice and rather peaceful person while sober, his drunk alter ego is an excellent if unconventional fighter, missing often with his blows, but hitting harder than anyone and dodging away under most attacks against him.

Edit: oh, no barbarian allowed, ok. Hmmm... what about this guy:

Halfling divination wizard 6/divine soul sorcerer with the lucky feat.
Int>Dex>Con/Cha
Four different sources of forcing a reroll - halfling luck, lucky feat, favored by the gods, portent.
Additionally: with Xanathar’s guide, the second-level spell „mind spike“ was added - a divination spell that does damage, and for a divination wizard that means spell slots for days. The divine diviner.
Flavor: mystical halfling with golden eyes without iris or pupil, mysteriously always knowing where to aim as if he‘d seen the future. Is fixated on fate, seems cold-hearted and detached because he shrugs at devastating events with words like „eh, the gods wanted it that way“ or „that’s what fate brought onto us“.

Or him:

Feral Tiefling monk 2/arcane trickster rogue 5 with the flames of phlegethos feat.
Dex>Int>Con/Wis
Grab the green flame blade cantrip, which combined with sneak attack will be your main source of damage. As soon as you cast it, your feat kicks in, you get to reroll any 1 on damage rolls and (main point) you’re wrapped in a nice coat of flames that damages anyone who dares to attack you - if they hit you, that is: monk lets you dodge as a bonus action twice (even if you’re wearing armor!) and rogue gets uncanny dodge to halve incoming damage. You also get some first level spells for minor effects.
This dodgy build is the firedancer, a performer who uses his great dexterity combined with magic like dancing lights or green flame blade to amaze the viewers with blazing choreographies.

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 04:34 AM
Alternatively (one last time), a Warforged druid (or ranger) that was not made in a factory, and isn't comprised of metal, but is instead made of wood, and was born in the forest. If that doesn't suit you, they could have contracted amnesia in the forest, and decided they were created by the gods to defend it.

Warforged moon druid, wildshaping into animal robots.
Transformers are now a part of your fantasy world, live with it.

Randomthom
2018-08-22, 07:11 AM
Benzo 'the Magnificent' Treadlight
Lightfoot Halfling Lore Bard

Benzo is a comedian, storyteller, master of card tricks and can sing a decent tune. A one-man variety show. Unfortunately he is on the run after making fun of the wrong Nobleman in one of his routines. He can't quite just lay low though. Benzo the Magnificent was made to entertain, even if it does get him into trouble sometimes.

He casts his spells, not via a magical instrument as most bards do, but via a deck of playing cards that he is constantly shuffling. The shuffling speeds up when he is nervous. His ranged spells often involve him throwing the cards from the deck laced with bardic magic.

Build: Obviously pump Cha then dex then con. Use magical secrets at 6 to pick up counterspell and any other spell that you feel the group needs. The GM should probably be ok with the refluffing of using a deck of cards as the arcane focus instead of a musical instrument since it still occupies the hands.
Skills-wise, sleight of hand (for the card tricks) and performance are a must. I chose Entertainer as the background so gained Performance from there rather than from the bard picks.

I've had this character waiting in the wings for the next time I'm a PC rather than a DM but feel free to borrow, I already know he's going to be great value to RP with. I'm planning on an Irish accent when I play him, he'll have a grandiose opinion of himself and a steadfast belief that he belongs in the limelight. He is also a fine actor (consider the Actor feat) and might occasionally act as an unhinged psychopath for interrogation purposes, enhancing his performance with magic but is actually NG and would never actually torture someone, he is just very good at making them think he would!

"I've been Benzo the magnificent and you've been a wonderful source of information, thank you and goodnight!"

tieren
2018-08-22, 09:38 AM
I've always wanted to try a 5e arcane heirophant. Moon Druid 2/Bladesinger 2 at least. Blade song and Mage Armor really help buff a beast form. Furthermore, picking up extra attack is good with some forms, like Giant Constrictor Snake or giant octopi.

What beast forms have the ability to sing in Elvish?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-22, 09:43 AM
Click here to find the next PC you should play! Trust me...I'm a pirate. (http://www.whothe****ismydndcharacter.com/)

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 09:48 AM
What beast forms have the ability to sing in Elvish?

Not sure if you’re serious or not, but nothing in the bladesong feature says you actually need to... well, sing.

Starting at 2nd level, you can invoke a secret elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus.
You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time you choose (no action required).

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 09:53 AM
Click here to find the next PC you should play! Trust me...I'm a pirate. (http://www.whothe****ismydndcharacter.com/)

Link doesn‘t work, the title of the site has a word in it that’s on the index of gitp and is therefore getting censored.

For everyone else: the site is called www.whothe____ismydndcharacter.com, just with a bad word starting with F and ending with UCK filled into the gap.

Toofey
2018-08-22, 10:14 AM
I'm thinking it's going to be a Micro ATX form factor, and I have some CPUs sitting around so I'll do a R7 1700 with my BM350, that 16gb kit I pulled out when I upgraded Red to 3200, Use one of the Zotac 1070s and then put one of the 650 Platinums in so I can overclock to 4 pretty easy. My only debate is do I go up in form factor to fit in a Hyper 212, or stick with the spire. Then I figure I'll sell that and hopefully get like 1k, and buy a 2080ti for Red with that.

Sorry I couldn't resist the title looked like my other stripe of nerdism. As far as sell a PC idea, VHuman Wizards are so much fun.

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 10:28 AM
I'm thinking it's going to be a Micro ATX form factor, and I have some CPUs sitting around so I'll do a R7 1700 with my BM350, that 16gb kit I pulled out when I upgraded Red to 3200, Use one of the Zotac 1070s and then put one of the 650 Platinums in so I can overclock to 4 pretty easy. My only debate is do I go up in form factor to fit in a Hyper 212, or stick with the spire. Then I figure I'll sell that and hopefully get like 1k, and buy a 2080ti for Red with that.

Sorry I couldn't resist the title looked like my other stripe of nerdism. As far as sell a PC idea, VHuman Wizards are so much fun.

Badumm-tssss

tieren
2018-08-22, 11:16 AM
Not sure if you’re serious or not, but nothing in the bladesong feature says you actually need to... well, sing.

You do appear to be correct, I personally don't buy it though. You get performance as a bonus proficiency and several features have "song" in the name. I personally believe singing is heavily implied.

Even if we say it is some sort of performance of dancing blades that grant the bonuses (which it does mention very precise movements of the blades), I wouldn't let a bear do it with his paws.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-22, 11:20 AM
This. Please do this. Yeah, sorcerer / beholder is cool. Make it wild magic sorcerer to accentuate the madness.

Or:
Monk 2/ Trickery Cleric 5 through 7
Wood Elf.
Background: Criminal.
S 10 D 16 C 14 I 8 W 18 Ch

You have AC 17 and need to wear zero armor.
Monk gives you more movement. (45 total with 35 base for woodelf) Ki gives you some fun-to-use tools as you scamper around the battlefield.
wood elf gives you: Long Bow. Good ranged choice. Your usual weapon is quarterstaff, dagger as a back up.

Trickery domain bonus spells are fun for messing about with people.

Urchin and Charlatan might also be good backgrounds.

(To really confuse people, maybe even go Eladrin and keep changing seasons. If you have Mord's book)

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-22, 11:24 AM
Link doesn‘t work, the title of the site has a word in it that’s on the index of gitp and is therefore getting censored.

For everyone else: the site is called www.whothe____ismydndcharacter.com, just with a bad word starting with F and ending with UCK filled into the gap.

RIP to my cheeky response in two posts today. I hardly consider "FIRETRUCK" a bad word though.

Spyderson
2018-08-22, 12:10 PM
A character I really want to play was suggested by someone else in another thread. A Goo tomelock that acts as the parties very own spy satellite.

Overly paranoid of everything. Using as much extra sensory abilities as you can rightly pack in. invocations like: eldritch sight, devil sight, ghostly gaze, witch sight, one with shadows and things like that.

Always by the party but far enough that passerbys would think they aren't actually with the party. Use GOO awakened mind to telepathically warn your party that that shopkeep is actually a orc in disguise!

Quoxis
2018-08-22, 12:31 PM
I hardly consider "FIRETRUCK" a bad word though.

I just knew that joke would come up.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-22, 01:23 PM
You should be a giant tree.

Be a Wood elf Shepherd Druid 2/Primeval Guardian Ranger 5.

Be a tree. Always. If you need to move just cast zephyr strike.

You know what ebberon needs ? Trees. Not enough Trees.

You know what trees need? Brawndo. But what else? You!

The trees need you to speak for them. BE THE LORAX.

But not just any Lorax. Be a BADA$$ LORAX.

Make a totem too. Out of animal spirits.

Be a tree

Angelmaker
2018-08-22, 03:34 PM
Hey all,

I just returned from gamescom tending to our companies booth for twelve hours. I read until reply three when jin suggested summoning chickens and i nearly pooped my pants. Ill now go back and read every reply wih joy and tears.

Thank you guys, you are great.

"Be a tree", apart from this making me tun to the loo nearly a second time, i am highly intrigued.

All your ideas are awesome, but some strike too close to wome of our party members identity or would wreak havoc with their playstyle. But trees and chickens and some other stuff is great, especially polymorphed beholderguy sounds i should lay my eyes on that. Opening this thread was the best idea i had ina while.

Drazhar
2018-08-22, 07:10 PM
One of my favorites I have ever done was a Halfling that I role-played as a character that had lost the will to live. He simply went from one day to the next waiting for death to take him and release him from his mortal bonds. Except, Tymora, had actually grown pretty fond of him and his antics and saw fit to ensure he stayed safe. And so an day to day struggle ensued for control of his destiny.

Lightfoot Halfling Lucky: When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Wild Magic Sorcerer
Tides of Chaos: Role played as he casted spells with reckless abandon and cared not of it's consequences (worked out with the DM, so that this would trigger more often. and DM was given permission to have me roll on it whenever the situation called for it.)
Level 4 ASI...... Lucky feat
Bend Luck even more "divine intervention" lol

The way this character played out was like "I" was Tymora. I was constantly trying to get him out of trouble and it led to a lot of great and funny moments. Honestly one of the most fun I have had out a character.

tieren
2018-08-22, 11:10 PM
Give them an invisible companion that they never ever speak to for fear it will prove them insane.

CTurbo
2018-08-23, 12:11 AM
I have a crazy idea

Vhuman Tempest Cleric with Res(Con) to start. Wear plate + shield and use a warhammer. Bump Wis to 18 at level 4. done

Kane0
2018-08-23, 12:55 AM
Changeling (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf) Shapechanger (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/07/mimicborn.html) Sorcerer, preferably with the Spy background. You will probably want Expertise in Deception if you can get it.

Schopy
2018-08-23, 01:12 AM
Goliath Stone Sorcerer with Warhammer and Shield, focus on Strength and Constitution and put only a 10 into Charisma. Choose Spells that don't use your casting stat (Smites, Buffs, etc.). Feats: Warcaster, Shield Master

Deny you know any magic and overplay the big Brute stereotype. You said no fighters/barbarians, but this might be just different enough. *shurg* Not an optimized char, but may be fun.

Angelmaker
2018-08-26, 04:06 AM
Okay, so since I am now home and I can look into the books *gasp* I´ve tried putting some things together.

@ Shepheard Ranger / Primeval Guardian:
(both UA)
Ok, let´s call him Groot. Large Treeperson. Interesting concept, will look into it more to see if it works for me. According to the book he is basically a "treelike person" in large. So clearly distinguishable as a person according to the rules. So not quite as cool as initially thought.

@ Stone sorceror:
(UA)
Looks like an interesting shielding/tanking concept. Would probably Replace Goliath with Stone Genasi. Yelling at stuff, while I fly in the enemies face does sound fun. Could reach AC20 with Shield and gains Smite spells.

@ Chicken Summoner:
Decided against summoning, as I do not want to bog down the speed of our combats even more.

@ Shapechanger:
(UA/Homebrew?) Decided against it finally even though it´s kinda nice, since one of ours is full on "mission impossible" themed with all the stupid stealth stuff (cloak of elvenkind, etc.)

@ Polymoprhed beholder:
Haven´t played a sorceror yet, so having a bit of this and some lunacy on top might be nice. I´m just not sure how much I can play this out in the current setting. Gonna take some investigating. :)

@Giant Wolf Spider Halfling Rider:
Hmm, this might just work, even though I am kinda opposed of having another halfling. I guess I am still in mourning. :]

Decided against: Swashbuckler (as I really don´t like the class). All concepts from "Callak Remier" as they are just class/stuff combos and I don´t particularly see exceptional potential for either comedy or RP. Warforged, as I don´t really understand how to properly play an artifical construct made out of souls. They are just weird on their own right and I cannot put an identifying spin on them. Clarence Beetroot, as I feel it would kinda intrude on Callie.

Thanks everyone for their input and help. I´ll have a lot of things to look at once the ringing sound in my ears has vanished.