PDA

View Full Version : Fun find: Jailbreaking a Radiant Idol with Ability Rip.

mabriss lethe
2018-08-21, 06:56 PM
Just what it says on the tin:

Radiant Idols, for those who don't know, are really neat monsters from Sharn: City of Towers. Basically fallen angels who pretend to be gods and gather up cults. They have a nice selection of SLAs and you can customize them by giving them the powers and spells of a single cleric domain. They have a huge handicap though. They can't fly. At all, in any way shape or form. They have the supernatural ability: Flightless (Su) that not only keeps them from flying, but grounds all other magical forms of flight around them as if it were an AMF. I was thinking that there had to be some way to get around that limitation, and then I stumbled upon Ability Rip from Serpent Kingdom.

Relevant part of the spell bolded for emphasis

You rip a supernatural ability of your choice away from one creature and transfer it to another.

The two creatures must be within 30 feet of each other and remain conscious throughout the casting of the spell. In exchange for this new ability, the recipient permanently loses a supernatural ability it already possesses. If it has none to exchange, it instead loses two class levels (or 2 Hit Dice if it has no class levels).

Thurbane
2018-08-21, 07:01 PM
I see no reason that it shouldn't work.

I just recently discovered this creature myself (as in today, in another thread), and I'm already looking for ways to use it in my game.

If you can give it the Evil sub-type, it would make a great Fiend of Blasphemy...

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-21, 07:36 PM
But can you channel them...?

mabriss lethe
2018-08-21, 07:46 PM
I see no reason that it shouldn't work.

I just recently discovered this creature myself (as in today, in another thread), and I'm already looking for ways to use it in my game.

If you can give it the Evil sub-type, it would make a great Fiend of Blasphemy...

I was the one who suggested them... but yeah. as soon as I thought of them I started thinking about ways to circumvent their flight restrictions, and they would make a very fun FoB if you can grant them Evil Subtype, though their cultist abilities are an exact duplicate of FoB's powers, so they aren't getting as much out of the class.

ben-zayb
2018-08-21, 07:55 PM
Technically, it doesn't rule out psionics, so powers such as Psionic Levitate that don't strictly get flight but is similar to specifically singled out spells, should be fine.

PairO'Dice Lost
2018-08-21, 11:02 PM

You can, with the Ritual of Alignment (Savage Species p.148). It costs 56,000 gp and 2,240 XP and gives you any alignment subtype, with no downsides if the subtype and your actual alignment match.