PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Easy to RP characters

Mad Max
2018-08-21, 09:27 PM
Hi! I have a bit of an unorthodox question for you guys. I'm setting up to join adventurers league, and I need a character idea to bring. The problem is, I'm not so good at getting in character, and not so comfortable with role-playing (even though I really enjoy it!). So, with that in mind, I need some ideas for characters, or at least character traits, that would be interesting, but straightforward to RP.

Any help, or suggestions, would be appreciated!

MrSalty
2018-08-21, 09:32 PM
Kruglor the Stoopid is always a fun, easy stock character to play. Dim, but goodhearted barbarian who comically misunderstands most situations that aren't "KRUGLOR SMASH". His gameplay mechanics dovetail nicely with this as well.

kraftcheese
2018-08-21, 09:53 PM
Thief or bard with a heart of gold is always easiest for me; get to do all the fun stuff with stealing and conning people, but doesn't make you feel out of character when you wanna do something nice for the starving orphans.

DearJtheDM
2018-08-21, 10:00 PM
Hi! I have a bit of an unorthodox question for you guys. I'm setting up to join adventurers league, and I need a character idea to bring. The problem is, I'm not so good at getting in character, and not so comfortable with role-playing (even though I really enjoy it!). So, with that in mind, I need some ideas for characters, or at least character traits, that would be interesting, but straightforward to RP.

When you look up "random npc generator 5e" in google, look for one that says npcgenerator.azurewebsites they will give you personality traits and everything.

Spyderson
2018-08-21, 10:27 PM
I just played a pretty short campaign that I needed a throwaway character for. I found it really easy to just do a stock "hero." Ask yourself "what would superman do?" And do that.

Burning building? Rush in and save the civvies. Villianous plots afoot? Of course you'll help! Poor villagers with barely enough to feed themselves? Their thanks and praise are enough for you.

If your comfortable enough throw in an over the top hero voice.

Let other things come naturally to you. Every good character needs a flaw, so think of something that works for you and your character. I think someone that'd for my suggestion might even be as simple as "will never say no to an honest request for help." This may seem like a good trait, but it can quickly get you into a whole ton of trouble if you don't manage your time/commitments right.

Particle_Man
2018-08-21, 10:48 PM
The backgrounds can be useful for this.

CantigThimble
2018-08-21, 10:50 PM
I just played a pretty short campaign that I needed a throwaway character for. I found it really easy to just do a stock "hero." Ask yourself "what would superman do?" And do that.

Burning building? Rush in and save the civvies. Villianous plots afoot? Of course you'll help! Poor villagers with barely enough to feed themselves? Their thanks and praise are enough for you.

If your comfortable enough throw in an over the top hero voice.

Let other things come naturally to you. Every good character needs a flaw, so think of something that works for you and your character. I think someone that'd for my suggestion might even be as simple as "will never say no to an honest request for help." This may seem like a good trait, but it can quickly get you into a whole ton of trouble if you don't manage your time/commitments right.

A really good trait for an over-the-top hero like this is obliviousness and naievity when it comes to the rest of the party's antics. If you are okay with letting yourself get duped sometimes and can have fun with it then that basically ensures that you won't be a burden on the rest of the party.

LeMooseImperium
2018-08-21, 10:52 PM
Try something like a yuan-ti wizard/rogue who, while they still want to summon their Great Old Gods, knows that it is probably futile and they are better off trying to convince everypone that they are a good person the entire time.

mephnick
2018-08-21, 10:59 PM
Just remember that RP is simply making decisions based on your character's motivations. It has nothing to do with funny voices or talking in first person. Write a few traits about your character (the backgrounds help a bit with this) and glance at them before making decisions.

If your personality trait is "always trying to prove he's strongest", then "Throndir charges the biggest one with his axe." is perfect roleplaying. Don't worry about it too much.

Exocist
2018-08-22, 12:23 AM
Any type of Bard/Rogue who snarks, makes bad puns and makes jokes & innuendos at everything.

As long as you're quick on your pun game, it should be pretty easy. Don't be surprised when you get awarded Reverse Inspiration though.

MeimuHakurei
2018-08-22, 01:46 AM
If you are familiar with Mass Effect, at least in so far to understand the Paragon choices, a Paladin should be easy to RP. The class already has a robust fluff built into it and being an honest person who puts the well-being of others above themself is all you need (choose Oath of Devotion for this). It's a very simple concept with more room to develop than a stupid barbarian.

Magzimum
2018-08-22, 05:07 AM
Roleplay is not difficult at all. Just identify some character traits (good or bad) or yourself. For example, maybe you're an impatient person, or an introvert, or quick to get angry, or you are very caring and love to help others, or you like to steal little items from restaurants, or you collect trinkets, or you lie a lot? Now pick one of those.

Now make a character (i.e. choose a race / class / background) who is quite extreme in that same character trait. So, now you have the world's most impatient barbarian. Or the most caring druid. Or a wizard who gets angry really quickly. Or a rogue who is a compulsive liar.

Next, look at the world you will play in. And give yourself an achievable goal. Maybe you want to bring peace. Maybe you want to become good at magic. Maybe you want to become rich.

Because you have this character trait inside yourself, it is very easy to roleplay. Your character is just an extreme version of yourself! And because you have a simple goal, your character knows what to do in certain situations.

Theodoxus
2018-08-22, 07:01 AM
Hard to say, what's easy for me to roleplay might not be for you, and vice versa.

In general, magnifying a specific trait or flaw: hyper or hypo intelligence; courage or fear; altruism or selfishness tends to be the go to choice for ease. I find them particularly annoying, magnifying anything tends to go too far... but if you can reign it in a bit, it probably will be ok.

On an anecdotal note, AL players with the least amount of experience seem to be great at playing Champions... I don't know why....

PhantomVector
2018-08-22, 08:33 AM
I'd suggest Paladin. Each Oath gives you a framework to develop character traits upon. With 5e you have options too if you don't want to run a lawful good character as well. But you're mileage may vary. That's if you want to have opportunities to RP and grow your skill in that part of the game. Otherwise I might suggest monk or fighter. You could be a silent type of monk, or a fighter that's just there to kill the baddie, nothing more to it.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-22, 08:59 AM
One good trick is to pick a character from a movie or book that you would enjoy playing, tweak them enough so it's not obvious, then build your RP character around that. If you want to play Thor or John Turturo from Miller's Crossing, or pretty much anyone else, there are combos for that, and the forum can help you design them if you want.

I'd recommend against playing someone who's constantly annoying the party or working against them until you have more experience, but occasionally doing those things is fine. :)

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-22, 09:39 AM
Your answer in the link below. Cycle through a few until you find one that clicks.

Click here to find your amazing, unique, easy to RP character!!! (http://www.whothe****ismydndcharacter.com/)

If you click this link there's a word that makes it censored on the forum, but you can just click the "Did you mean "x" link on the page that comes up."

WhotheFIRETRUCKismydndcharacterDOTcom

the secret fire
2018-08-22, 09:45 AM
Am Barbarian easy! Am barbarian not know what RP mean, but good at smash with club. You want I should smash with club?

Laserlight
2018-08-22, 10:33 AM
Eccentric characters are more memorable than normal ones.

Characters with conflict are more interesting. Example: "I long to be a trusted friend but also I have a deep dark secret" or "I want to be seen as important but also I have serious abandonment/insecurity issues".

You only need two or three traits. (Your description is usually going to be something like "the bossy little aristocrat" rather than "the bossy little aristocrat with long blue hair and a doll in her backpack and she's the paladin's cousin and she is shameless about one night stands and she's rabid about protecting women and children and she always has a book"). Pick one for a session, and concentrate on conveying that that. Pick another one for the second session.

Pick a stock phrase. "I can't abide no murdering scoundrel", "I can't abide no ogres", "I can't abide no thieving bureaucrats", for example, or a battle cry. I had a warlock who always announced his name when he entered battle; I have a cleric who yells "Mela Victorious!" or "Mela Triumphant" as she charges into the fray.

Beechgnome
2018-08-22, 11:13 AM
One approach is to start with a blank slate and then imagine something important/life-changing happening to that character. How do they react? How does it define them? How will it effect their future choices?

For example, I made a character recently who at first blush does not have an obvious hook: a variant human fighter.

But I decided he used to be part of a Royal guard for his people, a mostly ceremonial role he inherited from his father, who held the same position. But then his master was assassinated, and he is haunted by that failure. (He was also shunned and took the first ship outta there).

Crunchwise, it meant I took protection style and my feat was magic initiate (cleric) with mending, spare the dying and sanctuary, all taught at a young age for the role.

Role-playing wise, he seeks to protect the most vulnerable, and often attaches himself to the wizard in the party or whoever is really hurt. So general traits: protective, brave, self-sacrificing, a bit morose.

dragoeniex
2018-08-22, 03:47 PM
I like ironic character traits, personally- things you wouldn't normally expect of whatever class/job this person has. The cowardly or gentlemanly barbarian. Triton who adventures on land because he's deathly afraid of water. The cynical, pessimistic bard who is only chipper or suave when performing in public. The slightly bitter fighter who has a great interest in magic but no innate ability.

Basically, anything a little dysfunctional can be a huge amount of fun! If you pick one contrary concept, you can work backwards from there by going, "Okay, which background would be fun to stick on this gal/guy?" Then you can keep it pretty simple and comedic or add depth later by fleshing out why the character acts that way.

The hydrophobic Triton was a barrel of laughs for the rest of the party until they learned someone mutilated his gills so he can't breathe underwater.

The bard who is a grouchy hermit at heart but keeps performing and persuading because she's the only group member good at it, on the other hand, continues to be comedy gold. All smiles and charm one minute. Grousing at friends in private the next.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-22, 03:57 PM

If you own the PHB, do the following.
1. Read up on all of the backgrounds
2. Read up on all of the personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws.
3. Mix and match to fit the four (personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws)that you like best; that feel the best to you: one for each.
4. pick a class; the class you chose grows out of the personal characteristics you selected.

XGTE fleshing out. Using your own or a friend's copy of XGtE
5. Open Xanathar's guide to Everything, to the section on the "why I became a (class)" tables. See if any of those background reasons appeals to you. If not, make one similar or related with those as a guide.
6. Pick a quirk, if you like.

Don't pick an alignment as a way to govern your personality. Look at your above mentioned personality and see which alignment is most likely to be close to how your characters feels and acts. Then pick that. Or, if none really feels right, start with True Neutral and move into a different alignment if your role play takes you there.

Write a two to three paragraph summary of your character from birth to "as I walk into the adventure on day one" to tell yourself how your character got there. No more than that unless you like to write a lot.

Only you can figure out what you want.

It is kind of hard to answer your request, since you didn't offer very much information to go by in your question. But it also isn't anyone's character who isn't you.

It's your character: there are lots of tools to build it with. Use them, and your imagination. Your imagination is your biggest asset.
------------------------
Example: Jarvis, adventuring Monk. Human or V Human. (you can do your own stats and abilities and feats as needed)

Background: Criminal

Personality Trait: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me. (From Criminal)
Ideal: There’s no good in pretending to be something I’m not. (From Folk Hero)
Bond: Everything I do is for the common people. (From Acolyte)
Flaw: A scandal prevents me from ever going home again. That kind of trouble seems to follow me around (Entertainer)

Why I became a monk:
I left home due to that scandal and had to live on the streets for a while. I fell into a life of crime. A few of our gang's robbery victims were poor, and I realized that this wasn't me after seeing how our thieving had made their bad lives worse. It shocked me into awareness: I needed a change. Found my way to a monastery and asked to join their order. They accepted me, and I learned, but I found that the shadows were the most comfortable place to be. I don't like to be the center of attention.
Quirk: the occasional thrill of pulling off a successful crime is hard to resist; I am always on the lookout for such a thrill. Adventuring should fill that need.

-------------

Class: Monk, Way of Shadows at level 3

Approach to play: Generally looks out after / has a soft spot for, life's underdogs ... but (here's the "why" to adventuring) the thrill of danger is very appealing. Generally uses monk discipline to remain calm, and to show little emotion outwardly. Does in fact smile now and again. :)

GreyBlack
2018-08-22, 05:18 PM
To be honest? Doesn't matter. AL plays as less character focused/RP focused and more like an MMORPG. Don't worry too much about RPing your character and worry more about just making something you can have fun with.

Source: my experience with AL

Wisefool
2018-08-22, 08:36 PM
Play a Drunken Master monk that loves to karaoke, but only knows one song, "Tequila" that he never stops singing.

Joe the Rat
2018-08-22, 09:19 PM
Regardless of class...

Noble, Folk Hero, and their variants (knight, courtier, inheritor, etc) are good "The Hero" backgrounds. Act like a protagonist, do the right thing, offer to help, etc. It makes you pro-quest, and all you have to do is be Superman. If you are quick-quip-capable, be Spider-Man.

Criminal, Charlatan, Pirate, and variations of Hermit give you a wonderful "Boxed Crook / Lancer" mode. You have a history, a reputation, or a secret yhat you are running from, or are trying to live a better, "socially acceptable" life. You still aren't necessarily good, but you're trying to live honestly.

Soldier, Mercenary Veteran, City Watch, Sailor, and variations on Guild Merchant and Noble lend well to "grizzled veteran." You've seen things, done things, survived things. Less of a risk taker than the Hero, more straight arrow than the Crook, you are Pragmatic. If you go for a (relatively) older character, you can always complain about being too old for this crap.

Acolyte, Sage, Cloistered Scholar, and Hermit can also bring you to "Greenhorn." You may know a lot of things, but have very little experience in the broader world, or "practical applications" of your skillset. Make foolish plays, or defer to wiser heads, and ask a lot of questions of others.

Outlander, Acolyte, Far Traveler, Folk Hero, Urchin, Uthgardt Tribesman, and any exotic species (tritons for example) can play the "Fish Out of Water" angle. You get how the world works and what people are like... but not here. This is the wrong land, or social setting, or you're new to the city, and will generally not fit in. You can go Country Mouse or Weird Foreigner with this one.

Whatever you decide to do, it helps to have a touchstone for yhe character. A specific quirk, voice, phrase, mannerism, or action that you can use to get back on track. If you're a pirate, or a dwarf, or a dwarf pirate, alcohol is important to you. Go find some. The performer gets bored and starts juggling small objects. The wide-eyed bumpkin uses "Elminister!" as a mark of surprise (because nobody has heard of that Shazam fellow round these parts). The experienced grifter slides into a smooth mafia wise guy elocution, particularly when you ah, need to suggest the need for a more physical solution to a particular situation that you and your associates need resolvin'.

Oramac
2018-08-23, 07:23 AM
Kruglor the Stoopid is always a fun, easy stock character to play. Dim, but goodhearted barbarian who comically misunderstands most situations that aren't "KRUGLOR SMASH". His gameplay mechanics dovetail nicely with this as well.

As much fun as this is (and dear lord is it fun!), I might shy away from it as a novice RPer. Depending on the player and the party, RPing a stupid character can actually be pretty challenging. Moreso if the player in question is very smart himself, as it can be tough to *not* act on your own ideas for any given situation.

Just remember that RP is simply making decisions based on your character's motivations. It has nothing to do with funny voices or talking in first person. Write a few traits about your character (the backgrounds help a bit with this) and glance at them before making decisions.

If your personality trait is "always trying to prove he's strongest", then "Throndir charges the biggest one with his axe." is perfect roleplaying. Don't worry about it too much.

This. 100% this. You don't have to have any major cool voice or super awesome character. Just come up with one or two really straightforward traits, and play the hell out of them.

To be honest? Doesn't matter. AL plays as less character focused/RP focused and more like an MMORPG. Don't worry too much about RPing your character and worry more about just making something you can have fun with.

Source: my experience with AL

Sadly, I have to agree with this as well. It has been my experience with AL that its Role Play opportunities are quite limited.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-23, 07:45 AM
Play a Drunken Master monk that loves to karaoke, but only knows one song, "Tequila" that he never stops singing. I thought AL was not allowing evil PC's. :smallbiggrin:

Jamesps
2018-08-23, 11:51 AM
I have someone in a campaign I'm running right now with the exact same problem. She is reporting resounding success with the "Big dumb manly-man" archetype.

It seems like playing characters that are worse than you at dealing with people generally takes the least brain power.

Kyrell1978
2018-08-23, 11:55 AM

It would help to know what type of character (race/class/etc) you are comfortable playing.

Nifft
2018-08-23, 12:04 PM
Play a Drunken Master monk that loves to karaoke, but only knows one song, "Tequila" that he never stops singing.

I thought AL was not allowing evil PC's. :smallbiggrin:

The PC might be Lawful Good.

It's the player who is a clear and vigorous evil.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-23, 12:17 PM
I like ironic character traits, personally- things you wouldn't normally expect of whatever class/job this person has. The cowardly or gentlemanly barbarian. Triton who adventures on land because he's deathly afraid of water. The cynical, pessimistic bard who is only chipper or suave when performing in public. The slightly bitter fighter who has a great interest in magic but no innate ability.

Basically, anything a little dysfunctional can be a huge amount of fun! If you pick one contrary concept, you can work backwards from there by going, "Okay, which background would be fun to stick on this gal/guy?" Then you can keep it pretty simple and comedic or add depth later by fleshing out why the character acts that way.

The hydrophobic Triton was a barrel of laughs for the rest of the party until they learned someone mutilated his gills so he can't breathe underwater.

The bard who is a grouchy hermit at heart but keeps performing and persuading because she's the only group member good at it, on the other hand, continues to be comedy gold. All smiles and charm one minute. Grousing at friends in private the next.

I support this wholeheartedly! See one "Chip the Block." He's a world-renowned professional wrestler (Barb halfling with entertainer) traveling on a high-stakes circuit right now in hopes of running the gauntlet and winning his belt back from a Goliath named Regi Johnson.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-23, 05:03 PM
@MadMax

This is a bit more than a few paragraphs, but it fits on the front page of an 8x11 piece of paper.
Who is this guy, this ranger that I made? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22637993&postcount=22)

Zam, I am.

I lost my horse to the mastiffs, so I had to drag the damned body for three days to collect the reward. He was wanted dead or alive. Or so I thought, as written on the poster.

Dead or alive, huh? Looks like they changed their minds. The bounty was for “alive, 50 pieces of gold.” As it worked out, “dead” got me 10 gold pieces when I showed them the hand bill that I’d pulled off of the wall at the trading post. Maybe the blood stains swayed them. He’d been using up good air for too long I reckon.

Marzol wasn’t just rustling cattle, he was rustling people – the bodies and chains that I found in that hole under his barn told me that. Did they believe me? No. Captain of the guard said I was a killer by preference; said there was blood on my hands; said I needed to clear out of town, before he changed his mind. He had enough pike men with him that I didn’t argue.

Blood on my hands? Yeah, there’s been blood on my hands, has been since I can remember. Pa taught me to hunt. Taught me to butcher and skin my own game, only kill what you can eat, get rid of varmints, and keep an eye open when you sleep. (That last part’s trickier than it sounds). I cook my own food, not all fancy like these town folk.

Blood on my hands. I’d laugh if it hadn’t cost me my horse. I brought Marzol in, as posted, but now they wanted “justice” and a trial so they could hang him. Pa taught me to get rid of varmints, and I did - I do. Might have done it for free if it were my goats, my sheep, and my oxen he’d been rustling, or if it had been my folk he’d been selling to flesh merchants.

After picking up his sign, I’d say that my arrows brought him justice. Old Marzol sure looked surprised, sitting there looking up at me, and back at the arrow in his chest while he was still grabbing the one in the back of his knee. I think he saw my blades covered in his hired hands’ blood when he ran. I must have looked a sight, with his dog’s blood all over me. I didn’t take too kindly to having to put down my horse.

His hired help, the three with the axes and shovels? There was no bounty on them. I didn’t tell those city fools about burying them all proper, the way we buried Ma and cousin Lemuel -- the way I buried Pa. I doubt Marzol treated them well – men like him use folks, or abuse them. He paid ‘em, they were loyal. I told them to back off, but they still came at me. A decent burial was fair and proper.

I played the same song on my pipes over their graves that I played over Lemuel’s. Asleep Under the Moon. Seemed fitting. Buried the dogs too. They were loyal, and it was a shame to kill them but they tore up my horse something bad. They’d have done me as well if they could. I was in their marked territory. Fair deal, all the way around.

Carrying Marzol into town was for show. I dragged him on a litter most of the way. The guards at the gate weren’t happy to see me, but were happy to report that Marzol had been taken. I’d have liked to stay for a few pints but that Captain was insistent that I leave.

I don’t borrow trouble. There’s bound to be someone who needs a man like me pretty soon. This world’s full of filth like Marzol. Like Pa said to me, *you kill the varmints to keep your place clean*