PDA

View Full Version : Break This Monster: 1 SLA Per Level Per Day

GreatWyrmGold
2018-08-21, 10:54 PM
Over on Inevitability's LA-reassignment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23309935&postcount=1175), we recently got to the grisgol, a construct in the MM2. It has some mediocre melee ability and inflated RHD, plus spell-like abilities that make it stand out as either technically able to contribute or completely broken. As the title hints, those SLAs are customizable—one from each spell level (from the cleric or sor/wiz spell list), once per day.

Which made me wonder...what would be most game-breaking combination of nine spells be? Wish/Miracle is an obvious pick for 9th level, and it's hard to imagine anything beating limited wish for 7th, but that still leaves several spell levels.
My intuition was initially that permanency would be a potent spell to be able to cast daily for free, but then I checked the list of spells it can actually be used on and...it's kinda disappointing. So that's probably another argument for both wish and limited wish—you can cast wish to cast one of that handful of spells and limited wish to cast permanency (thereby—for instance—giving yourself a permanent animated object minion), without sacrificing your 5th- and something-elseth-level slots for something else.
So...what do y'all think would be the strongest SLAs for those nine slots?

flappeercraft
2018-08-21, 10:58 PM
Rather than wish/miracle give it shapechange and have it shapechange into a zodar for multiple uses of wish per day.

unseenmage
2018-08-21, 11:27 PM
Simulacrum and Binding come to mind.

Plane Shift and Teleport and/or their greater versions for utility.

Honestly with Wish already in the can it can just Wish up magic items of anything else it needs/wants.

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-21, 11:28 PM
Shadow Evocation, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Shadow Conjuration, for starters. AMF maybe, since your SLA and spell repertoire is garbage, endurance-wise. From there, any spell with an XP component or hideously expensive material component should be on the short list.

Silva Stormrage
2018-08-22, 12:15 AM
Animate Dread Warrior is always a classic.

Really most spells with expensive material or XP costs would work fairly well.

Quertus
2018-08-22, 12:28 AM
Only once per day? Hmmm... I'd go with minion optimization, I think.

9 - Shape Change. For wish. Repeatedly.
8 - Mind Blank?
7 - Simulacrum. For Djinni. For more Wish.
6 - Animate Objects. Using Wish for Permanency.
5 - Animate Dead.
4 - Lesser Planar Ally?
3 - Animate Dead.

That seems like a reasonable start.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-22, 12:30 AM
Have we considered the supernatural transformation feat? Cuz wish just got a whole lot cheaper as an Su ability

Falontani
2018-08-22, 12:35 AM
Fimbulwinter, frostfell, Lord of the uttercold wall of fire, animate dread warrior, limited wish, desecrate, chill touch, shivering touch, teleport

Maat Mons
2018-08-22, 01:00 AM
Wait a minute... a grisgol is a magic item... and it can cast a spell that creates magic items...

OgresAreCute
2018-08-22, 01:40 AM
Ice assassin and go buy some rats or squirrels? You miss out on wish but you get alter reality instead.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-08-22, 11:35 AM
Fimbulwinter, frostfell, Lord of the uttercold, wall of fire, animate dread warrior, limited wish, desecrate, chill touch, shivering touch, teleport
...I think you busted your theme there.

Goaty14
2018-08-22, 12:35 PM

It's on purpose, so when those dastardly PCs show up to fight Grisgol, Unholy Protector of the Frost all buffed out with cold resistance... BAM, wall of fire!

Reminds me of the Wight Dragon :smallbiggrin:

Falontani
2018-08-22, 12:55 PM

it was supposed to be a Lord of the Uttercold Wall of Fire dealing cold and negative energy damage. ^_^