PDA

View Full Version : Does Permanency on an item break VoP?

bean illus
2018-08-22, 01:44 PM
From the Simple Raw thread(in spoilers below).

Q 214
Does permanency spell on ... say a staff, invalidate vow of poverty?
Did i just invent cheese? I think so (It's my first time).

A. 214) RAW, yes it would invalidate, as always, ask your DM. But why permanency an item when you could get it on a spell cast on yourself? There is no prohibition against you using your magic self, just magic items.
To be clear; i propose that by RAW a VoP character can carry a quarterstaff with Alarm, Animate Object, Greater Magic Fang, Symbol of Pain, and Invisibility on it, without penalty.

A 214 cont) Are you sure about that? Hiring somebody to cast Permanency is certainly out of the question, but the party wizard tossing something on your staff overnight (free of charge) doesn't incur a listed price, and RAW, still costs whatever the base item was, and likely doesn't fall under 3.5's definition of a magic item (even if it is in a literal sense). Feel free to disagree, but 1) Prove a Permanency (<spell>) Staff has a higher listed cost than a normal Staff or 2) Prove that a permanencied mundane item becomes a magic item.

If someone casts detect magic, does the staff glow? Can you sell that permanent magic spell staff for more than zero gp in any town? When you use the staff, are you using a magic item of value or a magic item as defined by the dungeon masters guide? Does the vow of poverty care about that distinction? Can an ascetic carry around symbols of pain, or exploding runes written on sheets of paper that they personally made and then use them offensively.

There is no clear raw to adjudicate on it. Other than the complete prohibition against ownership of things of value. This is so nebulous a game rule, it's worthy of its own thread.

I say: Since RAW values things by whether or not they are 1) bought, 2) sold, or 3) have a price listed, and since the RAW definition of a magic item nowhere includes a permanency spelled item, then it no more breaks VoP than casting Light on a stone and throwing it into a dark room.

Viola! VoP now has an invisible animated +5 staff with radar, that "immediately" attacks any who i target within close range (25"+5"/2lvl), imposes -4 attack, skill and ability rolls on Fort save, and will persue an opponent for medium range if i want.

And it provides flanking.

As an added bonus, I do believe immediate should be interpreted as interrupting. Just set the animated attack to trigger whenever the owner is targeted within reach.

So what do you think playground?

OgresAreCute
2018-08-22, 01:54 PM
VoP-dudes can have all-day buffs supplied by their friendly neighborhood wizard or cleric just fine. Permanency sounds weird at first, but when you think about it, you can have someone supply you with basically permanent buffs pretty easily without it.

Lapak
2018-08-22, 02:32 PM
On the one hand, you may be right. And it is easier to dispose of; hit it with a Dispel and IIRC it is just a stick again.

On the other hand, it is pretty hard to argue that you could not sell such an item for more than 0 gold. There isn't RAW material that covers it, but there isn't RAW material to cover a great many things that have value and would break VoP, so I don't think you can wriggle out that easily.

On the third hand, the rules around Vows are one of the areas where I feel most strongly that it is not only reasonable but necessary and rules-supported to make sure that the spirit and not just the letter of the law is being followed, and the overarching concern would put this kind of attempted cheese out-of-bounds at a table I was running.