PDA

View Full Version : Charm Ideas

DireSickFish
2018-08-22, 02:26 PM
My players will be freeing some captured Nymphs next session (instead of keeping them and harvesting their tears, such goodie two shoes). And I really like the idea of a Charm as a reward, but don't think any of the ones in the DM Guide fit. Party is level 6. What kind of Charm would be good for a "Nymph's Kiss" charm?

dragoeniex
2018-08-22, 03:30 PM
Could you clarify what you mean by "charm" here? The ability for the touched PC to use some sort of charm effect on others, an enchanted amulet-type gift, or...? It doesn't sound like you're wanting to reward the players by some of them becoming charmed, but I'm having trouble telling what you're after.

MaxWilson
2018-08-22, 03:32 PM
Could you clarify what you mean by "charm" here? The ability for the touched PC to use some sort of charm effect on others, an enchanted amulet-type gift, or...? It doesn't sound like you're wanting to reward the players by some of them becoming charmed, but I'm having trouble telling what you're after.

It's a DMG thing. Like an Epic Boon but... different. Usually less powerful, I think. Can't remember if they are limited-use or not.

DireSickFish
2018-08-22, 03:41 PM
It's a DMG thing. Like an Epic Boon but... different. Usually less powerful, I think. Can't remember if they are limited-use or not.

You are correct. Boons are given out by God tier beings and are a big benefit. Charms typically have a limited number of uses then are gone. They act like thematic consumables that you can't lose.

I was thinking of giving them a 1 off legendary save, or perhaps the ability to remove a charm or fear effect from themselves as a 1 off.

JeenLeen
2018-08-22, 03:45 PM
I could see something like 'good luck of the fey' as a blessing. Maybe just 1 use, but they can succeed on a save they failed.

From my play style and that of my group, I recommend letting them use it after they know the outcome. That way they know they don't waste it. It also likely prevents them hoarding it for when it 'really matters', potentially dying because they didn't realize it really mattered.

IC, it's just good luck, to come at some unknown time. OOC, the player chooses when that time comes to their PC.

Louro
2018-08-23, 06:12 AM
Look into existing features or spells.
Bless for one encounter, 2 lucky points, resistance to choosen damage type, restoration, a charming spell like hypnotic pattern, one extra damage dice vs a designed opponent...

Try to figure out what would fit the party theme and taste.

Unoriginal
2018-08-23, 06:16 AM
Maybe Protection from Evil or Sanctuary, but activated as a Reaction?

Segev
2018-08-23, 10:07 AM
Countercharm: The next time (or 3 times, or whatever) the character is Charmed by any effect, the Charming entity is affected by charm monster at (fixed DC based on Charm-granting entity). If the Charming entity makes its save, the Charm effect triggering this is broken on the character. The Nymph's Kiss insists that its beneficiary have any infatuations be mutual.