PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me kill my friend in 5e fight club!

srcdude
2018-08-22, 02:50 PM
Hi! So me and my friends started doing something we call 5e Fight club. the dm/ref will role a d20 and that will tell us what level build to create. then a week later we fight each other with our builds. its been a lot of fun so far! so i need to make a level 11 build. so far ive got a drow half elf with 6 levels of vengeance paladin and 5 levels of champion fighter. i took vengeance paladin for the vow of enmity, champion for improved critical, and half elf for elven accuracy. i also have polearm master for that extra d4 attack. we are doing standard point buy so my stats are str 16/dex 8/ con 16/ int 8/ wisdom 8/ cha 18. we also have 8000 gold to spend on all equipment. ive decided to get plate mail for sure and a halberd. the halberd perhaps will be +1/+2. We can use content from any published material, so no home brew and no UE.
i would love to get your advice what magic items i should get and/or anyway you think i should change my build. thanks!

GlenSmash!
2018-08-22, 02:52 PM
Why 5 champion if Paladin 5 already gives you Extra attack? Seems like a waste of a level.

srcdude
2018-08-22, 02:58 PM
i think you're right. maybe paladin 7 fighter 4?

edit: i suppose paladin 8 and fighter 3 would work too

GlenSmash!
2018-08-22, 03:10 PM
i think you're right. maybe paladin 7 fighter 4?

edit: i suppose paladin 8 and fighter 3 would work too

That or Paladin 8/Fighter 3. Since both Paladin 8 and fighter 4 will give you a feat, but having Paladin 8 will get you 5 more hitpoints worth of Lay on Hands than Paladin 7 would.

So I personally would go Paladin 8/Fighter 3 if sticking to those 2 classes.

Gayle_Force
2018-08-22, 03:12 PM
Also, why elven accuracy? I thought the double advantage only works on attack rolls using Dex/Int/Wis/Cha. You could combat this by taking hexblade warlock for 3 levels and going pact of the blade which allow you to use the Cha to attack rolls.

Also the hexblade curse will net you a crit range of 19-20 and proficiency modifier to damage. Vengeance 6/hexblade 5 seems like your best bet.

Edit: Also, you can take improved pact weapon as one of your invocations so you have a +1 to attack and damage. Make your halberd out of admantine and you crit whenever you hit!

srcdude
2018-08-22, 03:16 PM
Also, why elven accuracy? I thought the double advantage only works on attack rolls using Dex/Int/Wis/Cha. You could combat this by taking hexblade warlock for 3 levels and going pact of the blade which allow you to use the Cha to attack rolls.

Also the hexblade curse will net you a crit range of 19-20 and proficiency modifier to damage. Vengeance 6/hexblade 5 seems like your best bet.

Edit: Also, you can take improved pact weapon as one of your invocations so you have a +1 to attack and damage. Make your halberd out of admantine and you crit whenever you hit!

oh crap you're right. pretty big oversight on my part thanks for pointing that out haha

GlenSmash!
2018-08-22, 03:22 PM

I thought adamantine weapons only auto crit on attacks against objects, not creatures.

srcdude
2018-08-22, 03:25 PM
What do we think of paladin 6/ hexblade 3/ and fighter two for the action surge? or would hexblade 5 be better?

edit: ohhh...hexblade 3 and fighter 2 would make me missout on a feat

BaconAwesome
2018-08-22, 03:35 PM
Hexblade 2 or more + half-drow (drow magic) gets you darkness plus devil's sight, which is a powerful combination, doesn't need a spell slot and has great synergy with elven accuracy, hexblade's curse, and smites.

The downside is that darkness requires concentration, so you can't hold it and hex simultaneously.

Hexblade 3 gets you the ability to use a polearm as your pact weapon, and hex blade 5 gets you the ability to take improved pact weapon.

Angelmaker
2018-08-22, 03:55 PM
You should all be ashamed of you all for not doing this sooner.

Ahem...

First rule of d&d 5e fight club? You do not talk about d&d 5e fight club!

Millface
2018-08-22, 04:02 PM
Throwing my hat in with Wizard 2 (divination) Sorc 3 (whatever) Paladin 6

Hope you roll one low dice for your portent, but this isn't strictly necessary, it just ensures it. If you get two low rolls it's pretty much 100% GG

Quicken a Hold Person, portent in the low roll to ensure a failure on the save. Now you have advantage on your attacks and auto crit

Attack both times, if you have a high roll from portent you can use it to make sure you hit both times.

Your multiclass spell slots give you 2 4th level slots and 3 3rd level slots, so use two 4th level slots on smite to do a total of 24d8+2*STR Mod which is ~114 damage. This kills any character outright that doesn't gain at least 10 HP per level and isn't a Bear Totem Barbarian who went before you and raged.

If they survive they get to check the save again, if they fail you just beat any combination I can think of. If they succeed and you rolled two low portent rolls you just beat any combination I can think of. If they succeed and you don't have a portent they're out another turn and down by a metric ton of damage.

I think, though I often miss things you wonderful people later show me, that this just about ruins 5e fight club at any level beyond 10. It doesn't need a single feat and works with starting stats of 15-8-15-8-8-15, race doesn't much matter but V Human with Lucky comes to mind.

Particle_Man
2018-08-22, 04:44 PM
Is the fight a one-shot fight? That opens up possibilities like a berserker barbarian since you don't have to worry about levels of exhaustion if it is just a one shot. Though if the other guy has a spellcaster with fly that leaves you with missile weapons only.

Fighter 11 gets 3 attacks/rd, which is nice.

the_brazenburn
2018-08-22, 04:56 PM
Sorc/Paladin is pretty powerful, especially if your DM rules that you can use Metamagic on Divine Smite.

Also, it is mandatory to take the Dual Wielder feat and attack from horseback with double lances! 2d12+Str+Empowered Smites, baby!

FieserMoep
2018-08-22, 06:05 PM
Are there any rules for the "Arena" or prep? Aka do you have time to apply buffs or the environment to hide and use stealth game play? Is there a minimum distance? Is there a ceiling?

These questions are quite important for a few things but if you just want pure DPR I suggest the following:

LvL11 Wood Elf Fighter (Samurai)
Str: 8
Dex: 16+2+1+1=20
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 16+1+1=18
Cha: 8

Class Picks:
Skills: Stealth if you can use it. Surprise can decide the battle. Perception.
Fighting Style: Archery
LvL 4 Asi: Elven Accuracy
LvL 6 Asi: Sharpshooter
LvL 8 Asi: +1 Dex, +1 Wis

Gear:
Studded Leather (AC 17, Stealth Viable, Cheap)
Longbow
Blow your money on making them magical or getting something that either allows you to add damage (Oathbow) or improve your stealth if you can utilize that.

Routine:
Try to get hidden and to surprise, if you don't surprise lets hope you win Ini with that +5.
Keep your distance, it would be optimal to stay hidden and engage your target at 600 ft for that leaves you out of range for pretty much everything other than another longbow user, including most spells.
Action Surge, use your Bonus action for the Samurais Fighting Spirit.
Lose 6 attacks with the added Damage from Sharpshooter.
That is 6x(4.5+5+10)=117
Without magical gear your will reach AC20 (Plate Armor + Shield or Mage Armor + Shield (Spell) +2 Dex Bonus) with a ~72% hit chance.
That way you should get around 4 hits dealing around 78 damage if you get a little bit unlucky.
If you don't increase your damage by Sharpshooter your hit chance vs. AC20 jumps to ~94%, assuming all six arrows hit you will only deal 57 damage though.

PS: I am not accounting for crits even though a base crit chance of ~14% is quite decent. Yet you don't roll many damage dice anyway.

This is kinda just a brawler build that might utilize stealth. If its guaranteed that you can utilize stealth a Rogue build can be VERY funny too.

srcdude
2018-08-22, 06:21 PM
the Environment is tricky. So whoever is the dm/ ref comes up with 4-5 possible arenas to fight in. This time the Dm came up with 4 different possible arenas: a dungeon, a labyrinth (which feels pretty similar to a dungeon to me, but oh well), an open battlefield. or a Forrest. so in the forrest that build sounds awesome! but if i was in the open battlefield id be screwed haha. the Dm isnt supposed to know anything about the builds we are making so he isnt accidently biased when he picks the environment.
edit: and i should also say that things like assigning a pact weapon i could already have done, but i couldnt cast a spell before hand. so pass without trace or find steed would have to be done after initiative is rolled.

LudicSavant
2018-08-22, 06:45 PM
How big are these arenas? What happens if you go beyond the edge of a map?
Is there prep time beforehand?
How far away do characters start?
How are you reckoning magic item prices? In the DMG they're all variable.

Nailing down the specifics of your scenario will allow people to give you better feedback.

srcdude
2018-08-22, 06:54 PM
How big are these arenas? What happens if you go beyond the edge of a map?
Is there prep time beforehand?
How far away do characters start?
How are you reckoning magic item prices? In the DMG they're all variable.

Nailing down the specifics of your scenario will allow people to give you better feedback.

the size of the arena is to be determined by the Dm. neither player knows before the fight starts. im not sure what would happen if we left the map. i suppose some maps would be impossible to leave like the dungeon, but an arena like the forrest would go on forever. Not much for prep time. i guess its kind of like these characters are being plucked from their regular lives. so something like your pact weapon would already be ready, but you wouldnt already have mage armor on. characters will probably start 30 feet away roughly. though that isnt set in stone. and prices of magic items will be set by a (hopefully) impartial DM

FieserMoep
2018-08-22, 07:02 PM
Alrighty, 3 of 4 of them can work, the battlefield is tricky though.
I guess you are not placed right in front of each other then too and it wont automatically start with a "roll ini" command?

What is the limit for magical items exactly? Any chance to get something nifty that helps with stealth? Invisibility stored in a Ring?

That aside, the Rogue Build:

LvL 6 Fighter (Battlemaster) LvL3 Rogue (Assassin) LvL2 Warlock (Hexblade) Wood Elf
Str: 8
Dex: 16+2=19
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 16+1+1=18
Cha: 8

Class Picks:
Skills: Expertise Stealth and Perception
Fighting Style: Archery
LvL 4 ASI: Elven Accuracy
LvL 6 ASI: Sharpshooter
Maneuvers: Precision Attack, Menacing Attack, Disarming Attack
Spells: Hex

Gear:
Studded Leather (AC 17, Stealth Viable, Cheap)
Longbow
Blow your money on making them magical or getting something that either allows you to add damage (Oathbow) or improve your stealth if you can utilize that.
Maybe Boots of Elvenkind?
GET AN OATHBOW! ;)

Accuracy is a bit lower vs. AC20 meaning we are a bit worse at hitting stuff. The difference is that you now can spend a Superiority Die for Precision Attack to turn a miss into a hit.

Routine:
Be sneaky, you HAVE TO SUPRISE!
Bonus Action: Hex on your foe if he is in range.
Action Surge into 4 attacks. On AC20 you will naturally hit 3 times, adding superiority die for damage. The last one will miss but with the last superiority dice (Precision) we most likely can turn it into a hit. On the damage dice use Menacing until your target is frightened. Then disarm their spell focus or weapon, be annoying. (BTW use Sharpshooter)
Given we surprise them we attack with advantage but we covered that already, nice part is we auto crit!

1st Attack: 2x4,5(Longbow)+4x3,5(Sneak Attack)+2x3,5(Hex)+2x4,5(Superiority)+4(Dex)+10(SS )=53
2nd Attack: 2x4,5+2x3,5(Hex)+2x4,5(Superiority)+4(Dex)+10(SS)= 39
3rd Attack: ""=39
4th Attack: 2x4,5+2x3,5(Hex)+4(Dex)+10(SS)=30

This way you deal on average 161 damage that most likely will connect with your target. If you get an Oathbow you add an average of 84 damage.

Keep in mind this utterly hinges on you surprising your enemy and its just a damage build. There is still stuff that can counter you hard.

PS: There are still ways to tweak and optimize this but leaving it simple I guessed that damage will fulfill the role of dealing a decisive Alpha Strike anyway.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-22, 08:46 PM
Once the builds get powerful enough, getting iniative seems key.

Pex
2018-08-22, 08:53 PM
I don't talk about this.

furby076
2018-08-22, 10:22 PM
Having alert feat would help make sure you keep initiative. at the very least, no surprise

Silkensword
2018-08-23, 12:26 AM
lvl 11 bladesinger with animate objects, go for the smallest objects and douse four of them in purple worm poison, if your enemy ever gets you low polymorph into a giant ape, use contingency to set up a defensive otiluke's resilient sphere. Hit them with vitriolic spheres and fireballs until they cry momma. Going with a single class built gives you access to a lot of magic to throw at them.

Kadesh
2018-08-23, 03:42 PM
lvl 11 bladesinger with animate objects, go for the smallest objects and douse four of them in purple worm poison, if your enemy ever gets you low polymorph into a giant ape, use contingency to set up a defensive otiluke's resilient sphere. Hit them with vitriolic spheres and fireballs until they cry momma. Going with a single class built gives you access to a lot of magic to throw at them.

Coating an object in Purple Worm Poison, and then having it get attacked by a creature is likely just going to see the DM ruling that the poison is going to seep into the wound, and have to take DC19 Con Saves and be all but autokilled.

Also, for my own sanity when DMing, when a player is spamming 12 additional monsters on the battlefield, I tend to just rule that they form into one vaguely amorphous mass, and ban smaller than Large forms, unless there are not enough bodies left, in which case, a Medium and then Small creature may be used. Because seriously, sod spending that amount of time on one guy.

sithlordnergal
2018-08-23, 04:56 PM
So for something like this I would go:

Vengeance Paladin: 5

Hexblade Warlock: 1

Sorcerer: 5, make sure you get one of the SCAG cantrips if you can.

You gain your two ASIs, which one should be tossed into Charisma while the other is used for Elven Accuracy. Since you're going to use Charisma for your attacks, you can have permanent advantage against a single opponent. Pop Haste on your first turn, go find your friend, and hit him with 4 attacks, all with triple advantage.

Or just go Moon Druid, pop off a concentration spell, and move to a position where you can't be hit. It is especially nice if you are in a forest. Pop off moonbeam, turn into an earth elemental, and glide through the earth till you can beam the foe.

Silkensword
2018-08-23, 11:51 PM
Coating an object in Purple Worm Poison, and then having it get attacked by a creature is likely just going to see the DM ruling that the poison is going to seep into the wound, and have to take DC19 Con Saves and be all but autokilled.

Also, for my own sanity when DMing, when a player is spamming 12 additional monsters on the battlefield, I tend to just rule that they form into one vaguely amorphous mass, and ban smaller than Large forms, unless there are not enough bodies left, in which case, a Medium and then Small creature may be used. Because seriously, sod spending that amount of time on one guy.

Yeah, minionmancy is powerful but disruptive to the flow, I think I would never use it if the DM didn't allow virtual tools for rolling a whole lot of dice at once.

CTurbo
2018-08-24, 12:59 AM
Level 11 Battle Master PAM Fighter and use Riposte or Parry with your reaction every turn. You'd get 4-5 attacks every round.

Level 11 Long Death Monk would be pretty damn hard to kill for sure. Would be great for a Fight Club.

Level 11 Fallen Aasimar Oath of Conquest Paladin with Menacing feat.

Level 11 Half-Orc Frenzy Barbarian would be REALLY tough in a Fight Club

Tabaxi Draconic Sorcerer 1, Swashbuckler 10 spamming Booming Blade and using all slots on Shield.

Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 5, Fighter 2, Assassin 4 with Alert and Sharpshooter

Tempest Cleric 9, Fighter 2 would probably be unstoppable in a 1 on 1 fight assuming rests in between. Being able to max thunder/lightning damage twice per short rest and even twice in one turn with an action surge would be devastating.