PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What's the point of this ability? [program spell] (UA modern Magic)

Red Bear
2018-08-22, 03:36 PM
Program Spell
At 6th level, you can insert a spell within an electronic device of your choosing, so that by touching a key or flicking a switch using an action, the spell activates. All variables of the spell are set at the time of casting. The computing power of this device must be equal to or greater than a mobile phone.

A programmed spell remains placed in its device for 48 hours, and is gone once it is discharged. You can use this feature to place a programmed spell in only one device at a time, and a device can hold only one programmed spell. Only you can activate the programmed spell in the device. If the device is destroyed, the programmed spell is lost.

A concentration spell placed in a device cannot be activated while you are concentrating on another spell. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest

What's the point of this ability, it basically gives you an additional specific spell slot if you have time the day before. Is it simply this? can you think of any other use?

Keravath
2018-08-22, 03:46 PM
I have no idea of the context since I have never heard of modern magic.

However, it doesn't actually say that the switch or key that activates the spell has to be part of the device. So depending on how you read it some options would be ...

- store a useful high level spell, maybe even a ritual, that you can then cast with a single action later by pressing a button
- place an explosive spell like fireball on the device and remotely detonate it
- place a listening spell (clairvoyance?) on the device and use it for remote spying.
- place a gate or summons spell on the device and either summon help or remotely activate it to have the device user deal with the problem.

On the other hand, in a modern world where magic was common the use of detect magic and similar for routine scans of devices would probably be common place.

leogobsin
2018-08-22, 04:06 PM
The thing that jumps out to me is that the activation is an action even if the casting time for the spell is longer, so it could turn, say, Geas into a spell that's usable in combat.

Spyderson
2018-08-22, 04:24 PM
Sudden fireball to kill whoever turns on a computer? Or really any damaging spell?
Sleep might be a good one at lower levels?

Minor illusion a security feed when it's turned on so everything on the screen appears normal? Charm person on a intercom button? Or have someone use your phone you've preprogrammed with a charm/fear effect... Have them swipe to the next baby picture and charm them that way. "Awwww"

Lunali
2018-08-22, 05:25 PM
This is essentially the same as the spell Contingency in not so modern settings, look up all the interesting ways that gets used.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-22, 05:40 PM
Whew the Modern Magic UA. That's three years old now.

Yup seems like you get an extra spell slot, and can turn a spell into an instant cast time, if I'm reading it correctly.

Red Bear
2018-08-22, 06:06 PM
The thing that jumps out to me is that the activation is an action even if the casting time for the spell is longer, so it could turn, say, Geas into a spell that's usable in combat.

Whew the Modern Magic UA. That's three years old now.

Yup seems like you get an extra spell slot, and can turn a spell into an instant cast time, if I'm reading it correctly.

I didn't notice the reduced casting time, thank you good catch :)

also, yeah it's 3 years old but I've decided to try it now, not sure if it was a good idea, they said it would be a regular thing to post modern setting rules, but they never did for all this time

I have no idea of the context since I have never heard of modern magic.

However, it doesn't actually say that the switch or key that activates the spell has to be part of the device. So depending on how you read it some options would be ...

- store a useful high level spell, maybe even a ritual, that you can then cast with a single action later by pressing a button
- place an explosive spell like fireball on the device and remotely detonate it
- place a listening spell (clairvoyance?) on the device and use it for remote spying.
- place a gate or summons spell on the device and either summon help or remotely activate it to have the device user deal with the problem.

On the other hand, in a modern world where magic was common the use of detect magic and similar for routine scans of devices would probably be common place.

I was considering that the key or switch must be on the device, but you're right it could be interpreted as you say and it opens up several interesting possibility, thank you.

This is essentially the same as the spell Contingency in not so modern settings, look up all the interesting ways that gets used.

with the big difference that this one requires your action to be activated

Sudden fireball to kill whoever turns on a computer? Or really any damaging spell?

Minor illusion a security feed when it's turned on so everything on the screen appears normal? Charm person on a intercom button? Or have someone use your phone you've preprogrammed with a charm/fear effect... Have them swipe to the next baby picture and charm them that way. "Awwww"

These uses aren't possible because it says you have to be the person that activate the spell.

Worden
2018-08-22, 10:42 PM
A great use would be a quick deploy tiny hut.

sambojin
2018-08-22, 11:26 PM
Instant elementals, or if you key the spell to someone, resurrects.

ImproperJustice
2018-08-23, 11:00 AM

Yeah, it seems like a more stealthy option for spellcasting vs. waving hands and chanting.

During a car chase, PC pulls out beard trimmer and begins shaving. Next thing you know a pair of earth elementals appear and start chucking the bad guys cars.
I like the cell phone charm spell.

tieren
2018-08-23, 11:26 AM
Putting Wish in Alexa so it can literally do anything you ask of it.

"Alexa, true polymorph me into a dragon"