PDA

View Full Version : A class without hands?

maximumride36
2018-08-22, 11:43 PM
So I'm trying to make a character for a lvl 25 oneshot my friend is doing, and I kinda wanna play a harpy, but I'm not really sure what class I could play since i'll have wings for hands. Homebrew is allowed (which is why I'm allowed to be a harpy in the first place), so if anyone knows anything that can be played well even without using hands, please send it this way!

Rebel7284
2018-08-22, 11:49 PM
Psion comes to mind. You can suppress any displays quite easily and can always manifest metamorphosis if you need hands after all.

Particle_Man
2018-08-23, 12:05 AM
Druid with the Natural Spell feat?

Darrin
2018-08-23, 07:12 AM
So I'm trying to make a character for a lvl 25 oneshot my friend is doing, and I kinda wanna play a harpy, but I'm not really sure what class I could play since i'll have wings for hands. Homebrew is allowed (which is why I'm allowed to be a harpy in the first place), so if anyone knows anything that can be played well even without using hands, please send it this way!

Totemist 2 (Magic of Incarnum) with the Girallon Arms soulmeld can give you an extra pair of arms. Actually, it might give you four arms... it's not entirely clear what would happen if your existing arms are already wings.

As far as classes that don't need hands... Warlock and Dragonfire Adept come to mind. Warlock I'm not so sure about, as the invocations require some basic somatic gestures, but the rules don't really explain whether actual hands are required for that or not. If the DM makes an issue about this, then there's a feat in Savage Species called Surrogate Spellcasting that allows you to do verbal/somatic components in a non-humanoid form.

Dragonfire Adept doesn't need any arms at all. All you need is a mouth.

EldritchWeaver
2018-08-23, 07:40 AM
Maybe you could convince your friend to steal the Psychic casting rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/psychic-magic/) from Pathfinder. Basically, somatic and verbal components are replaced by thought and emotion components. They have their own drawbacks, but you can actually cast without hands. That would allow you to access the caster classes as well.

Kyrell1978
2018-08-23, 07:42 AM
Ohh.....ooohhh.....be a bard.

PhantasyPen
2018-08-23, 08:17 AM
If you make a fangshield druid, one of the abilities that the substitution levels give is the ability to wildshape so that you have hands. If that doesn't sound good, I will agree that a psionic class is definitely the way to go, but that's just because I love psionics.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-23, 08:42 AM
If you're using a harpy from the MM1/SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/harpy.htm) then you already have hands. Didn't bother to bust out the MM for the full description, but the SRD entry has harpies using both clubs and bows, and I don't imagine operating a bow with your bird-feet is very practical.

Goaty14
2018-08-23, 10:30 AM
If you sink 42k into some Gloves of Man, then you get a pair of hands, even if you don't have some :smallsmile:

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-23, 10:36 AM
If you want a bit more optimization, how about going for an LA/RHD 0 race and purchasing a phylactery of change, from the Arms & Equipment Guide, and using that to polymorph into a harpy?

How about taking the Prehensile Tail feat, from Savage Species? Harpies have tails, right?

Of course, they also have hands, so... (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG150.jpg)

Bohandas
2018-08-23, 11:23 AM
Any psionic class