PDA

View Full Version : Playing a true polymorphed object

Dankus Memakus
2018-08-23, 12:00 AM
So I read a funny thing about a player wanting to play a chair that was true polymorphed into a human. I found this very interesting and funny because it was different and also i wanna play a character with a wisdom dump stat. So all mechanics problems aside (I'm fine with worrying about dispel magic) I have been thinking about what this character should look like. I'm deciding race and class and also....backround. Not sure what to do about that since until most recently they didn't have a brain. So I would like to ask for anybody's ideas about how they would do this PC so I can steal your ideas cuz mine suck.

Edit: can't spell

Fayd
2018-08-23, 08:34 AM
Well pick a background that gives you proficiency with carpenters tools obviously. I also like the idea of grabbing a medicine proficiency to continue the theme of “fixing things”. That said, would made sense to not be proficient in many traditional “knowledge skills”.

The character is literally a new soul, a being that sprang new, fully formed, into existence. So you’ll have to learn a LOT about the world. Until you were created, you never saw anything, heard anything, tasted anything, THOUGHT anything. Every aspect of reality is new to you. Approach everything with childlike wonder.

The most interesting part of this: consider your relationship with your “parent”... why did they do this? What was their motivation? Do you want to please them? Reject them?

Dankus Memakus
2018-08-23, 10:46 AM
Well pick a background that gives you proficiency with carpenters tools obviously. I also like the idea of grabbing a medicine proficiency to continue the theme of “fixing things”. That said, would made sense to not be proficient in many traditional “knowledge skills”.

The character is literally a new soul, a being that sprang new, fully formed, into existence. So you’ll have to learn a LOT about the world. Until you were created, you never saw anything, heard anything, tasted anything, THOUGHT anything. Every aspect of reality is new to you. Approach everything with childlike wonder.

The most interesting part of this: consider your relationship with your “parent”... why did they do this? What was their motivation? Do you want to please them? Reject them?

My thought on the parent is they are most likely a high level wizard who needed a better familiar. I am not really sure what other direction to go with this but I do plan for my character to have to learn alot because I want to dump his wisdom so he has very low common sense/life experience

Lunali
2018-08-23, 11:17 PM
The most interesting question that comes to mind for me is what happens if it gets dispelled and recast? Are you the same person you were, or are you your original starting character?

Joe dirt
2018-08-24, 10:11 AM
A chair has no life experience. It would almost act like a new born baby. I think if it was created by a powerful witch/wizard then its learning would come from them, it may even try to learn spells to mirror its creator, because that's its only point of reference. It may view others as alien and new... think data from star trek.

So for class / skills choose the same as the creator. children tend to mirror their parents. For things like appearance u might have clues to your origin, ur skin like finished wood with tree age patterns. Ur eyes and face wood look much different to a born human with a rusty undertones and no pupils. U would not appear the same. I would take to the gm and have ur character have a vulnerability/ fear to fire but immunity to poison as to show ur different to other people, almost an animated object made of wood.

BaconAwesome
2018-08-24, 01:45 PM
That is an awesome idea. The downside is that dispel magic or an anti-magic sphere would turn you into a chair.

Actually, you could have a pretty good paranoia campaign about people being replaced by true polymorphed duplicates, etc.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-24, 02:10 PM
Wood Elf Druid obviously...

Seriously, this character concept is such a unique and intriguing way to go! I applaud you for trying it out.

Ganymede
2018-08-24, 02:19 PM
Personally, I like the idea of playing as an awakened object. The Warforged rules already give us a framework for playing a PC made from inorganic material.

I could see a character that was formerly a nude sculpture but was awakened and given conscience. It dresses itself in normal clothes and tries to understand the world around it. Bonus points if the sculpture was the petrified remains of a Medusa's victim, and the awakened statue has visions/flashbacks of that person's life.