PDA

View Full Version : Eilistraee Warlock pact

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-23, 07:49 AM
I am creating a character for DnD who long story short wants to exact revenge on a Drow Lolth church, he is a rogue at first but I am planning for him to over time contact and make a pact with Eilistraee to help take down said church. My question is what subclasses would work and which ones wouldn't? I was hoping to play a fiend warlock as it mechanically works with my character (in my humble opinion) but I am not sure this fits with Eilistraee.

Calthropstu
2018-08-23, 08:44 AM
Most decidedly not. She is a chaotic good deity who believes in redeeming the dark elves, not slaughtering them.

Vengeance is far from her teachings.

Millstone85
2018-08-23, 11:28 AM
A better choice might be Shevarash, the chaotic neutral elven god of vengeance, loss, and hatred, more specifically hatred against the drow.

Perhaps as a fey patron? It seems to me that any member of the Seldarine can easily double as an archfey.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-23, 12:39 PM
Someone mentioned an idea I really liked... as a warlock, you're not connected to a god, but to a servant of a god. So, your Fiend Warlock isn't connected to Shevarash, directly... you're connected to his CN semi-fiend proxy who hates Lloth above all else.

Nifft
2018-08-23, 02:41 PM
I am creating a character for DnD who long story short wants to exact revenge on a Drow Lolth church, he is a rogue at first but I am planning for him to over time contact and make a pact with Eilistraee to help take down said church. My question is what subclasses would work and which ones wouldn't? I was hoping to play a fiend warlock as it mechanically works with my character (in my humble opinion) but I am not sure this fits with Eilistraee.

Exacting sneaky, lethal revenge against members of the Church of Lolth seems 100% in-character for Lolth.

She's not nice to anyone, especially not people who worship her.

Backstabbing is a sacrament.

Millstone85
2018-08-23, 02:56 PM
Exacting sneaky, lethal revenge against members of the Church of Lolth seems 100% in-character for Lolth.

She's not nice to anyone, especially not people who worship her.

Backstabbing is a sacrament.I read somewhere that Shevarash himself could be an aspect of Lolth, to keep the drow unwelcome among other elves.

I can't remember the details. It might just have been someone's headcanon.

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-23, 05:12 PM
hmm, these are nice ideas but I think some of them won't work, I apologise I should've said this. My character is a chaotic good so he does follow most of Eilistraee's ideals but the only part that would separate him from her would be his wish for vengeance, I won't go into his entire character but he wishes to help others and doesn't want people to go through things he has been through. That's the main reason I wouldn't say the other drow pantheon would work, he wouldn't make a pact with them as he does know that they could be untrustworthy. That was the main reason I was wondering if Eilistraee could work but if she really couldn't work for this then maybe a god from another pantheon?

Calthropstu
2018-08-23, 05:16 PM
hmm, these are nice ideas but I think some of them won't work, I apologise I should've said this. My character is a chaotic good so he does follow most of Eilistraee's ideals but the only part that would separate him from her would be his wish for vengeance, I won't go into his entire character but he wishes to help others and doesn't want people to go through things he has been through. That's the main reason I wouldn't say the other drow pantheon would work, he wouldn't make a pact with them as he does know that they could be untrustworthy. That was the main reason I was wondering if Eilistraee could work but if she really couldn't work for this then maybe a god from another pantheon?

Chaotic good is ok for a chaotic neutral deity.

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-23, 06:36 PM
Ok but correct me if I'm wrong isn't there only one other chaotic neutral deity and I am pretty sure she was absorbed by lolth

Excession
2018-08-23, 07:13 PM
... he wouldn't make a pact with them as he does know that they could be untrustworthy.

All warlock patrons are untrustworthy though. I feel that's sort of the point. Making a bargain you know is a bad idea, and frequently for the wrong reasons, like revenge on this case.

Millstone85
2018-08-24, 05:28 AM
Ok but correct me if I'm wrong isn't there only one other chaotic neutral deity and I am pretty sure she was absorbed by lolthDo you mean Zinzerena? Well, it depends. In 5e, the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide presents many dead powers as having returned in the wake of the Second Sundering, and the more-or-less setting-neutral Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes lists Zinzerena in the drow pantheon.

At this point, I assume your character is a drow himself.

All warlock patrons are untrustworthy though. I feel that's sort of the point. Making a bargain you know is a bad idea, and frequently for the wrong reasons, like revenge on this case.Most patrons, but not all of them. The Celestial from Xanathar's Guide to Everything is clearly meant as a good entity that simply doesn't have the means to empower you as a cleric. And while the Feywild is full of terrifying fair folk, it also has plenty of room for good fairies.

AceOfFools
2018-08-24, 12:18 PM
Someone mentioned an idea I really liked... as a warlock, you're not connected to a god, but to a servant of a god. So, your Fiend Warlock isn't connected to Shevarash, directly... you're connected to his CN semi-fiend proxy who hates Lloth above all else.

I really like this idea.

Although if Eilistraee is as merciful as suggested (which matches my recollection), I don't see her having fiendish servants.

I could easily see her having celestial servants more interested in justice than mercy, however.

Is there a celestial pact, or an existing pact that one could reskin as celestial?

You could also pick one of the other pact types that could reasonably be a member of Eilistraee's godly entourage, say Fey.

Calthropstu
2018-08-24, 02:16 PM
Eilistrae won't go for it. Best bet is the elven god of revenge. Another option is tempus, the god of battles.

Fenmarel Mestarine would also be a good choice.

Irennan
2018-08-24, 05:00 PM
I read somewhere that Shevarash himself could be an aspect of Lolth, to keep the drow unwelcome among other elves.

I can't remember the details. It might just have been someone's headcanon.

Lolth has an elven aspect, but that's not FR, and I can't recall her name. Or maybe that was someone's headcanon too. In any case, Shevarash's not an aspect of hers, he has his own story, ascension, etc...

@OP unless you really like Eilistraee and want her to be your patron, Shevarash is the best option. If you pick Eilistraee, she'll probably end up trying to teach your character that compassion is more powerful than revenge.

NorthernPhoenix
2018-08-24, 11:02 PM
An angel of Elistraee could work for Celestial Warlock. Maybe one that's a bit independent and agrees with your more aggressive stance.

Calthropstu
2018-08-25, 12:32 AM
An angel of Elistraee could work for Celestial Warlock. Maybe one that's a bit independent and agrees with your more aggressive stance.

Eilistrae would oppose this. Personally, I would rule against your suggestion if I were dm, but it's op's dm that is final arbiter. Plus, there are more than enough deities to suit op's purpose.

On a side note, is it just me or has Eilistrae been given more lore than any other faerunian deity?

The Glyphstone
2018-08-25, 12:50 AM
Eilistrae would oppose this. Personally, I would rule against your suggestion if I were dm, but it's op's dm that is final arbiter. Plus, there are more than enough deities to suit op's purpose.

On a side note, is it just me or has Eilistrae been given more lore than any other faerunian deity?

As in everything else, blame Drizz't.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-25, 10:52 AM
Lolth has an elven aspect, but that's not FR, and I can't recall her name. Or maybe that was someone's headcanon too. In any case, Shevarash's not an aspect of hers, he has his own story, ascension, etc...

Hmmmm... your patron is one of Lloth's former servants, before she became Lloth...

AceOfFools
2018-08-25, 01:14 PM
Eilistrae won't go for it. Best bet is the elven god of revenge. Another option is tempus, the god of battles.

Fenmarel Mestarine would also be a good choice.

She's CG. She's not going to force every one of her servants to obey her absolutely 100% of the time.

And even if she was willing to forbid it, whose to say the celestial is would obey, if they believed it in the goddesses best intrest? IIRC, there's nothing that would prevent a loose canon angel from trying to run a little black op, in the short term at least.

Calthropstu
2018-08-25, 02:50 PM
She's CG. She's not going to force every one of her servants to obey her absolutely 100% of the time.

And even if she was willing to forbid it, whose to say the celestial is would obey, if they believed it in the goddesses best intrest? IIRC, there's nothing that would prevent a loose canon angel from trying to run a little black op, in the short term at least.

Like I said previously, I would shoot this down hard, but it's not me that needs to be convinced, it's the op's gm..

Millstone85
2018-08-25, 04:45 PM
Lolth has an elven aspect, but that's not FR, and I can't recall her name.
Hmmmm... your patron is one of Lloth's former servants, before she became Lloth...Lolth used to be called Araushnee, which I imagine is pronounced something like Arachne.

Irennan
2018-08-26, 12:18 PM
Lolth used to be called Araushnee, which I imagine is pronounced something like Arachne.

I didn't mean Araushnee, but some kind of elven aspect dedicated to fomenting strife within the elves. However, as I said, that was probably someone's homebrew that for some reason I'm confusing with canon.

Irennan
2018-08-26, 12:23 PM

There's plenty of lore about Eilistraee, but there's just as much about Vhaeraun, Corellon, Mystra, and many other deities.

As in everything else, blame Drizz't.

While the drow pantheon has certainly been influenced by the popularity of Drizzt, Eilistraee (at very least) was in Greenwood's Forgotten Realms even before TSR asked him for more drow deities. It's natural that there's a lot of lore about her.