PDA

View Full Version : Add Faerie Fire to Weapon

kbob
2018-08-23, 10:11 AM
As a DM I have the ability to do whatever I want, I realize this. However, I'm looking for an actual game mechanic that lets me do what I'm looking for. If I can't, it's no big deal I'll just "make it work". However, I'm just curious as I am also a player at times and would like to know on that end if something like this is possible. My question: can you make a weapon that casts "faerie fire" upon hit? I have a Drow, assassin NPC who uses boomerangs (yes optimized). He is going to be hunting down a large stash of gold the players are going to walk up on (bad drug deal). They will find it en route to a separate "mission". The gold is cursed to allow a particular object to home in on it. Enter the assassin looking for it. He will ambush them at some point in the game maybe after they kill who they believe to be the BBEG (on their way home so they're rested up). The FF is to keep track of the magical users who turn invisible every fight and fly. I want them to feel the danger for a change.
On a side note, I just want to know what the mechanics are (if any) for adding misc magic effects to weapons upon hitting. This would help me as a player too.
P.S. I "may" have been inspired by No Country for Old Men.

Segev
2018-08-23, 10:16 AM
It would be a non-standard enchantment, but making a weapon a use-activated item that casts a spell on hit would just use standard "on-use activation" costs.

For faerie fire, it's a 2nd level spell, so that's 2*3*2000 = 12,000 gp base price. May or may not have multipliers applied for adding on to an already-magical weapon, though I wouldn't bother. It's technically not even a standard weapon enhancement, so can be added to the weapon without the normal minimum +1 surcharge, though if you wanted to be consistent in weapon design, you should make it a +1 weapon, anyway, before adding that. (This'd add another 2000 gp. So total market value would be 14,000 gp for a +1 Sword of faerie Fire.)

Ryuuk
2018-08-23, 10:25 AM
Spell Storing could work too, I think. Multiple +1 Spellstoring Boomerangs, loaded with the spell, assuming Spellstoring can be placed on a thrown weapon, by raw, there mught be some issues here.

noce
2018-08-23, 10:29 AM
Revealing weapon property, from MIC.
It's a +1 weapon enhancement that, each time it hits a target, outlines the target as with Faerie Fire for 1 round.

Fizban
2018-08-23, 10:49 AM
Funny you mention Drow, 'cause Drow of the Underdark has the Sparkling enhancement which does exactly this. It costs more and lasts longer than Revealing.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-23, 10:51 AM
There's a spear that casts Faerie Fire on hit in LEoF. You could reverse engineer the costs from that or just replace "spear" with whatever weapon you want.

Deophaun
2018-08-23, 11:16 AM
As you're looking to go after someone with invisibility, I'll recommend the illusion bane property in the MIC, which allows you to ignore the miss chance. The dispelling aspect won't work with a ranged weapon, however (as you are no longer in possession of it to activate it).

inuyasha
2018-08-23, 11:59 AM
Pathfinder's Ultimate Equipment also has a +1 magic weapon property called Limning (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/magicArmsAndArmor/weaponSpecialAbilities.html), which coats targets in Faerie Fire for one round on a hit.

Mehangel
2018-08-23, 01:10 PM
Funny you mention Drow, 'cause Drow of the Underdark has the Sparkling enhancement which does exactly this. It costs more and lasts longer than Revealing.

According to a certain online reference, Sparkling is a +2 weapon enchantment that coats the hit target with faerie fire for 5 rounds (and is published in the Miniature's Handbook).

Particle_Man
2018-08-23, 01:35 PM
How about an intelligent magic item? Faerie Fire is a lesser power for one in 3.5, and any 1st level spell can be added to an intelligent magic item in Pathfinder.

Also, intelligent items use their own actions to cast spells, not the wielder's actions.

Also, intelligent items have alignments and egos so are sometimes harder to simply loot from the dead hand of the wielder.

PunBlake
2018-08-23, 02:04 PM
Another method: Revelation Crystal (MIC), a weapon augment crystal. Fixed prices of 400 (least), 1000 (lesser), 5000g (greater). Least is faerie fire for 1r, and the lesser version also suppresses invisibility for 1r.