PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Subclass - Air Domain - PEACH

nickl_2000
2018-08-23, 10:18 AM
#4 of 4 I'm trying to make more primal type domains than just nature. So, here is one based on plants and nature. Please let me know what you think. Anything completely broken, seems out of touch, etc. Thank you!

Air Domain

Domain Spells
Cleric Level/Spells
1st Fog Cloud, Jump
3rd Dust Devil, Gust of Wind
5th Call Lightning, Wind Wall
7th Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm
9th Control Winds, Steel Wind Strike

Bonus Cantrips
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the Gust of Wind and Booming Blade cantrips if you don’t already know them. You cast these cantrips as a cleric cantrips

Bonus Proficiency
Also starting at level 1 you gain proficiency with Martial Weapons

Channel Divinity: Airburst
Starting at 2nd level you can use your channel divinity to adapt to underwater life.
As an action, present your holy symbol and summon an explosion of air radiating from your body. All creatures within 15 feet of you must make a strength saving throw (against your spell DC) or be thrown 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.

Control of Air
At 6th level, you are able to use your divine power manipulate the air around you. This lightening any load you are carrying and affect things around you. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects.
Additionally, you may use a bonus action to create air resistance around a creature with 100 feet of you, reducing it’s movement by 5 feet until the beginning of your next turn.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

One with the Clouds
At 17th level, you have a flying speed equal to your current walking speed.

Here is the full group from the set
Plant Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567201-Cleric-Subclass-Plant-Domain-PEACH)
Water Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567203-Cleric-subclass-Water-Domain-PEACH)
Air Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567207-Cleric-Subclass-Air-Domain-PEACH)
Animal Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567198-Cleric-subclass-Animal-Domain-PEACH)

Vogie
2018-08-23, 10:39 AM
Starting at 2nd level you can use your channel divinity to adapt to underwater life.
Whoops!

As an action, present your holy symbol and summon an explosion of air radiating from your body. All creatures within 15 feet of you must make a strength saving throw (against your spell DC) or be thrown 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.
Why a Strength ST? Why not a Con (a la thunderwave) or Dex (a la wrath of the storm)?

Control of Air
At 6th level, you are able to use your divine power manipulate the air around you. This lightening any load you are carrying and affect things around you. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects.
I understand the Push pull and lift... but not break - Maybe use a levitate at-will effect? Warlocks can get it on themselves at 9, why not give an air cleric at-will levitate for objects?

Additionally, you may use a bonus action to create air resistance around a creature with 100 feet of you, reducing it’s movement by 5 feet until the beginning of your next turn.

This seems super weak... I'd say probably 10 feet at the minimum

nickl_2000
2018-08-23, 10:51 AM
Whoops!

Copy and paste error :)

Why a Strength ST? Why not a Con (a la thunderwave) or Dex (a la wrath of the storm)?

For a few reasons. I actually wanted it to be different than thunderwave and wrath of the storm. I chose strength since in my mind cannon, you are pushing all the air around you away from you. The person resisting this needs to have strength to prevent the push. So, in reality it no different than a grapple check where it's athletics. It's really no different than trying to walk into a sudden breeze, it isn't your overall stamina that is allowing you to do this, it's your leg strength pushing against the air flow.

I understand the Push pull and lift... but not break - Maybe use a levitate at-will effect? Warlocks can get it on themselves at 9, why not give an air cleric at-will levitate for objects?

This seems super weak... I'd say probably 10 feet at the minimum

Good catch, thanks. If I were to decrease movement by 10 as a bonus action would that be good enough? I don't want to do more as the implication could get really big. I intentionally left it somewhat weak since it's an extra onto the other power. I thought that the weight decreasing on it's own wasn't enough, so I wanted to give more.

Attempt 2 after your comments:
Domain Spells
Cleric Level/Spells
1st Fog Cloud, Jump
3rd Dust Devil, Gust of Wind
5th Call Lightning, Wind Wall
7th Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm
9th Control Winds, Steel Wind Strike

Bonus Cantrips
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the Gust of Wind and Booming Blade cantrips if you don’t already know them. You cast these cantrips as a cleric cantrips

Bonus Proficiency
Also starting at level 1 you gain proficiency with Martial Weapons

Starting at 2nd level you can use your channel divinity to command the air around you.

Control of Air
At 6th level, you are able to use your divine power manipulate the air around you. This lightening any load you are carrying and affect things around you. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, or lift. Additionally, you may use the air to levitate a single object weighing less than 20 pounds and are not being held at will without casting a spell. In combat, you are able to move an object as a free object interaction, you may move it 20 feet in 1 round, and you cannot move it quickly enough to do damage with it.
Additionally, you may use a bonus action to create air resistance around a creature with 100 feet of you, reducing it’s movement by 10 feet until the beginning of your next turn.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

One with the Clouds
At 17th level, you have a flying speed equal to your current walking speed.