PDA

View Full Version : Divination Fortune Teller

Voltage89
2018-08-23, 10:19 AM
I am playing a divination wizard in my next d&d campaign and I am looking into having fortune telling cards. I am wondering how anyone would have this work. I feel as though I would obviously have to make a insight check which would allow me to "read" them. But then I guess I would have to make a slight of hand check to make them pull the right card. Does anyone else have any other ideas that they think would work well?

solidork
2018-08-23, 10:24 AM
Take Ritual Caster: Cleric and use your Tarot cards when you cast Augury. Clerics get all the good 'seeing the future' divinations anyways.

leogobsin
2018-08-23, 10:26 AM
I'd agree it would probably be an Insight check to 'size up' a potential customer and get an idea of what kind of things you should say to them. As for the actual picking of cards (this is assuming you've got a deck that works something like real life Tarot) you could have a set of cards that are marked in some way so you can tell which card is which from looking at the backs, or just rely on the cornerstone that real life fortune telling is built on: use vague enough descriptions that they could fit into most people's lives and let the person you're telling for fill in the gaps.

Voltage89
2018-08-23, 10:31 AM
Take Ritual Caster: Cleric and use your Tarot cards when you cast Augury. Clerics get all the good 'seeing the future' divinations anyways.
Firstly I really want to play wizard so changing the class is not really in the realm of options. I just want to change the mechanics of the tarot cards.

Voltage89
2018-08-23, 10:35 AM
I'd agree it would probably be an Insight check to 'size up' a potential customer and get an idea of what kind of things you should say to them. As for the actual picking of cards (this is assuming you've got a deck that works something like real life Tarot) you could have a set of cards that are marked in some way so you can tell which card is which from looking at the backs, or just rely on the cornerstone that real life fortune telling is built on: use vague enough descriptions that they could fit into most people's lives and let the person you're telling for fill in the gaps.
That was sort of what I was thinking, but doesnt the other person normally pick their own cards?

Bladewing2013
2018-08-23, 10:35 AM
Firstly I really want to play wizard so changing the class is not really in the realm of options. I just want to change the mechanics of the tarot cards.

Ritual caster is a feat that lets you have a book that lets you cast any ritual spell in the game, not just you classes.

Voltage89
2018-08-23, 10:43 AM
Ritual caster is a feat that lets you have a book that lets you cast any ritual spell in the game, not just you classes.
Oh, I see. I thought he was saying to take cleric which is why I was lost in the ritual caster part. To be honest, I was not really looking for it to be magical. I wanted it more to rely on my wizard actually reading the other person. Will look into it though!

Pyramid Pug
2018-08-23, 10:50 AM
What about using the card deck as a spell focus?

"I cast confusion"

-As you reach into your deck, a card jumps out floating ominously for a split second before turning and revealings it's face: The Fool-

If you like manga/anime you could be an awesome Mohamed Avdol from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. "You tried to out-predict me, a fortune-teller? But it's 10 years to early for you!"

I really like that character :smallbiggrin:

Voltage89
2018-08-23, 10:54 AM

"I cast confusion"

-As you reach into your deck, a card jumps out floating ominously for a split second before turning and revealings it's face: The Fool-

If you like manga/anime you could be an awesome Mohamed Avdol from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. "You tried to out-predict me, a fortune-teller? But it's 10 years to early for you!"

Alright, well you are the winner my friend. Having it as a spell focus is fricking cool!

Maelynn
2018-08-23, 05:43 PM

"I cast confusion"

Alright, well you are the winner my friend. Having it as a spell focus is fricking cool!

A-HA! You activated my trap card!