PDA

View Full Version : New settings are comming, but a quick question...

username1
2018-08-23, 04:24 PM
So it’s official, they are printing more settings. I’m not that exited, my games normally take place in my home brew world. However I do run a adventure in forgotten realms. I wouldn’t call myself new to the game, but I never played anything but fifth(except when I started one first, but never actually was serious.), and don’t have any books on Faerûn. This is a problem for my games, I know there is google but you have to know what to look for, and you can’t find stuff you might have missed. I understand them wanting to release more settings, but I feel they haven’t even released forgotten realms. Sure sword coasts adventure guide, but that’s a small part of the world. I need a bigger picture. I think it’s a good setting from what I have seen, but I don’t have the info I need to actually run a full game in the world. Is there any chance that they might release a true campain setting in Faerûn? Does anyone else feel this way.

LeMooseImperium
2018-08-23, 07:03 PM
Four words.

Sword.
Coast.
Adventurer's.
Guide.

It doesn't have a ton on Cormyr or anywhere else, but I use older sourcebooks and the novels for that. Plus, it comes with some cool subclasses and subraces.

username1
2018-08-23, 07:45 PM
I already stated, SCAG is a fine book, but it in no way enebales dms to play in the world. I already said, I don’t have any of those old books, and they are very expensive now days. In my games I refrained other things happening around the world, to make the players feel they are in a real world. It’s an “adventures guid”. That means to me it’s for the players.

Tetrasodium
2018-08-23, 11:03 PM
I think that scag is one of their more "wow we reallly borked the pooch there" examples in 5e both from how badly it was received and the fact that it was a whole book rather than just one archtype/spell/edge case.

On the Op's "I don’t have the info I need to actually run a full game in the world. Is there any chance that they might release a true campain setting in Faerûn?" It's a complicated & simple question at the sme time. Just like how eberron is not simply getting a reprint of existing 3,5/4e eberron sourcebooks with 5e mechanics because those books are readily available used & from dmsguild, it is just as unlikely that they will simply republish the forgotten realms campaign setting for 5e... les so in fact given how dramatically faerun changes between each edition.

That unlikely to republish is complicated for forgotten realms because FR treats the novels as cannon (something eberron does not do even with Keith Baker's own novels).a book like wayfinder's guide can be a great "this is eberron" that does not require reading a dozen or so sourcebooks (or 30some years of often dubious novels). That not treating novels as cannon is an important distinction because it might not matter why $group is into $things in a novel so you get all kinds of ultra powerful organizations that seem to have no reason to simply exist once stripped of plot armor. That's made worse because past events rarely have much influence on the future in faerun. or maybe if you read 30some years of forgotten realms novels some bits might click

By Contrast, a setting like eberron has complex groups & organizations with [ur="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-_and_low-level"]high level overviews[/url] & a fantastically complex web of history seeming to influence history. the movers and shakers within those organizations & such are not heroic good guys & baby eating monsters gone full kick the dog evil, they are just people with understandable & relatable motives that you can intuit without reading novels x, & z, l, m n, o, p, etc... you just put things together with the bits you know & intuit obvious motives/goals/difficulties. Armed with the logical high level overviews, you don't need to worry about conflicting with this or that novel's plot. Forgotten realms would cease to be forgotten realms if they took the massive undertaking of writing up something to fit that style for FR & it did not go well when 4e tried to rewrite eberron to fit the style of certain FR baselines so I highly doubt that they will do that with FR.

forgotten realms has lore & fluff spelled out over two hundred plus plus novels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels), a campaign setting book that tries to cover all of it would come close to making an entire encyclopedia set look like a light read in some ways... not to mention the fact that you would need an AI like IBM's Watson to assemble the bloody thing & possibly blood sacrifices to keep it from shutting down in confusion over conflicts from book/version to book/version.

As to other settings like eberron, dark sun, & spelljammer... people who want to run/play in those settings lack basic mechanics to do so using 5e without reaorting to trying to build homebrew conversions of stuff from second/third edition sourcebooks. Meanwhile, faerun has the PHB/monster manual/dmg/etc taking pains to align with the baseline assumptions of forgotten realms & fill the mechanical needs to play/run igames in forgotten realms.

I think that as WotC moves forward with the other settings that you will find them wonderful resources to mine ideas & stuff from for your own games.

Unoriginal
2018-08-24, 01:06 AM
Spoiler ahead:

If ToA ends by a failure, the whole world is destroyed.

randomodo
2018-08-24, 06:31 AM
Physical old FR products might be pricey, but there are a ton of forgotten realms books and boxed sets from 1st-4th edition on drive thru rpg for $9.99 each. I'd recommend starting with the boxed set for either first or second edition, depending on what era of realms history you're interested in using.

ZorroGames
2018-08-24, 09:29 AM
AL or just 5e freeform gaming? As a 0D&D DM I find it mildly attractive but not, “Yes, Take my cash,” interesting. YMMV.

From a business, (which WOTC is,) prospect there is too much material to deal with unless a particular part of the world seemed likely to be profitable.

I have or have bought old materials from various sources for places like Maztica or Kara-Tur to adapt.

ZorroGames
2018-08-24, 09:31 AM
Physical old FR products might be pricey, but there are a ton of forgotten realms books and boxed sets from 1st-4th edition on drive thru rpg for $9.99 each. I'd recommend starting with the boxed set for either first or second edition, depending on what era of realms history you're interested in using.

True two sets at $10 each is like one setting book in 5e though the hard copy book is expected to cost more.

Sigreid
2018-09-02, 06:54 PM
I think overall their plan has been to make you buy practically everything piecemeal in their adventure paths. It's a lame plan, but there you go.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-02, 07:21 PM
Is there any chance that they might release a true campain setting in Faerûn? Does anyone else feel this way.

Pretty good chance. The Forgotten Realms has plenty of fans and fans buy books and make Wizards money.

Once Upon a Time, Mike Mearls (maybe) said: " a Realms campaign setting book won 't come out for quite a while. Reason being that they are trying to stop "proscibing" information about the Realms in a top-down omniscient view, but rather give info in stories and rumors so that players no longer have to feel like they need to run the Realms the "right" way due to official canon."

Sure they might put out an Ebberon book for the goldfish players that want to like it for a couple minutes or maybe bring back something like Dark Sun.

guachi
2018-09-02, 07:27 PM
The 3e Forgotten Realms campaign guide is a good single book to get. Available at DMs Guild as a pdf for not very much.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-03, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, I must have missed something.

I thought an evil god was created by the atropal... After a bunch of souls are devoured by the Soulmonger of course.

Any idea where it alludes to the world being destroyed?

Thanks

Spoiler ahead. Seriously.
In AL module DDAL 07-18 Turn Back the Endless NightBunch of idiots Red Wizards summon Dendar the Night Serpent, if you can't send her back to where she crawled from, she'll grow, eat the sun and then crush the whole planet into an asteriod field

Corsair14
2018-09-03, 05:44 PM
Is this a troll post? They have released almost nothing but FR stuff since this edition started, die hards will argue but it has been the default, even if unofficially named so, setting since 4th. However if you want more information there is massive amounts of material from previous editions. Fluff is fluff, doesnt matter what edition its from. FR is the most overly detailed campaign setting made for DnD and they have been pumping out material for almost two decades. Try ebay. Not sure if there is anything on DMs guild or drive thru. I am really glad to see updated rules for old campaign settings that need it even if they started with a relatively new non-classic like Eberron.

Brutalitops
2018-09-03, 07:49 PM
Thanks

What happens when the evil god is born. Its implied that the unborn god could destroy the world when born or at least inflict years of darkness on the material plane.

Arkhios
2018-09-04, 12:59 AM
Is this a troll post? They have released almost nothing but FR stuff since this edition started, die hards will argue but it has been the default, even if unofficially named so, setting since 4th. However if you want more information there is massive amounts of material from previous editions. Fluff is fluff, doesnt matter what edition its from. FR is the most overly detailed campaign setting made for DnD and they have been pumping out material for almost two decades.

Honestly, are you genuinely surprised that someone is unaware of dozens of 3rd edition source books that have been out of print for over a decade?
While many of them can still be found in gaming stores, they have very different style and logo compared to the current, so it's quite easy to subconsciously ignore them, even if you've glanced upon them in the shelves. Especially if you started with fifth edition, you'd literally have to know what to look for, even from a book store because 5th edition books have very different look to them than 3rd edition books. And these days, you'l probably find pathfinder books stacked very close to other d&d products, which can add to the confusion of what you're seeing. It's kinda like being unable to see a tree in the forest.