PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Living Spell Familiar Help Please

BRKNdevil
2018-08-23, 06:49 PM
The Spell Sovereign is a PrC from the Dragon Magazine 357 that is meant for where Wild Magic like parts in FR or Eberron have made things wierd.

It is a 7/10 Arcane Caster Progression with relatively easy pre reqs like Improved Familiar and a few Knowledge Skills that you can meet in 5 levels as a Wizard. The last two levels are super needed so you could go 6/8 with no real issue.

It has a Spell like abliity to make temporary Living Spells as Summons using a Standard Action and Overall they Rock.
You can do this half you Spell Sovereign level times a day.
Also you replace your Familiar with a Living Spell going from 1st to 4th Level using your hit dice as caster level and such for familiar thingies and effects. They become awakened while in your service so they get feats.

The issue is that they have no flight and they start of as Medium and go up from there. Generally your looking at Huge with only 18str 10dex 18con 10 wis 14cha and a variable Int late game. (i'm including Augment Summon with this effect)

They Still Suffer from 1/2 your Hitpoints in Life total

What Spells could you make it from to negate this issue?

unseenmage
2018-08-23, 07:52 PM
In my sig there's a link to a thread about the War Magic Study feat from Dragon mag. Costs 3 feats total but let's you research War versions of your spells that are WAY overpowered if not used just right.
Its basically a force multiplier of a force multiplier.

My favorite thing to do with Living Spells is to use instantaneous or permanent duration creation magics.
Create Crawling Claw from Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun comes to mind.
Create Water and Water to Acid from Stormwrack too.

Heck, just searching up spell combos should reveal some neat ideas.

Falontani
2018-08-23, 07:56 PM
if you enter as a changeling wizard you can get Morphic Familiar, which allows it to change between any familiar you could possess as a standard action. From the fly all the way to a Living Cloudkill. And back again.

BRKNdevil
2018-08-23, 08:09 PM
The War thing has probably gone too far. like Anakin and the Dark Side

Would Celestial Familiar and VoP work if you can get a DM to sign off that?

on Side Note, can you give your Regular Familiar VoP?

The main issue is that as an ooze, it doesn't have a place to put magic items except those Ioun stones
and its HP which is normaly 1d10 per level and Con which would have let it sit pretty at 190 average at 20
gets shot down to half of 1d4 plus con on a Huge Creature

I dunno, as a Familiar it really needs some flight and getting smaller instead of bigger

Falontani
2018-08-23, 09:42 PM
The War thing has probably gone too far. like Anakin and the Dark Side

Would Celestial Familiar and VoP work if you can get a DM to sign off that?

The main issue is that as an ooze, it doesn't have a place to put magic items except those Ioun stones
and its HP which is normaly 1d10 per level and Con which would have let it sit pretty at 190 average at 20
gets shot down to half of 1d4 plus con on a Huge Creature

I dunno, as a Familiar it really needs some flight and getting smaller instead of bigger

it uses half your HP or it's own, whichever is better. Same with Saves (probably will never have better saves than you) and BAB (that it can easily)
it also gains all the skill ranks you have

as for equipping it: Psychoactive Skin is something it can wear, and slotless items that won't be destroyed when suspended inside it.

BRKNdevil
2018-08-24, 08:08 AM
it uses half your HP or it's own, whichever is better. Same with Saves (probably will never have better saves than you) and BAB (that it can easily)

Your Off on Both bits
Player's Handbook and the Dragon Magazine both explicitly say that Hit points are one half the master's total hit points rounded down

Attacks use Master's Base Attack Bonus but use the that creatures stats for adjustments

Your right on saves though

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-24, 09:24 AM
Can you get in as a hexblade? 3/4 hp, yo

BRKNdevil
2018-08-24, 09:31 AM
Can you get in as a hexblade? 3/4 hp, yo

Depends, Requires 3 Conjuration Spells one of which must be 3rd level

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-24, 09:35 AM
This is on very shaky raw territory, but I think that there is an ACF that replaces familiars with Animal Companions in Unearthed Arcana and I believe that there is an ACF that replaces Animal Companions with Urban companions in cityscape. And the urban companion is treated as a familiar except that it has 3/4 hit points

Blue Jay
2018-08-24, 10:17 AM

By strict RAW, no. The text says a familiar gets the feats of the base creature to start with, and since they don't actually advance in level or HD after that, they won't gain any more feats after that, either. So, technically, you never get to choose any feats for your familiar. When I DM, I let my players customize their companions' and familiars' startup feats though, so you could do it in my game; but since a familiar doesn't advance by HD after startup, you'll miss out on most of the scaling benefits of VoP

On the other hand, a living spell familiar would have 1 to 4 HD, and so would qualify for 1 or 2 feats at startup, which you would probably get to assign as you see fit.

Falontani
2018-08-24, 11:07 AM
Your Off on Both bits
Player's Handbook and the Dragon Magazine both explicitly say that Hit points are one half the master's total hit points rounded down

Attacks use Master's Base Attack Bonus but use the that creatures stats for adjustments

Your right on saves though

Familiars are magically linked to their masters. In some sense, the
familiar and the master are practically one being. That’s why, for
example, the master can cast a personal range spell on a familiar even
though he can normally cast such a spell only on himself. A familiar is a
normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast
when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the
appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and
feats of the normal animal it once was, but it is treated as a magical
beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on
its type. Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. Thus,
a druid/sorcerer can’t use her animal companion as a familiar.
A familiar also grants special abilities to its master (a sorcerer or
wizard), as given on the table below. These special abilities apply only
when the master and familiar are within 1 mile of each other.
Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars (such as
sorcerer and wizard) stack for the purpose of determining any familiar
abilities that depend on the master’s level.
It says that, then goes on to say the same thing you said, which is.... Well it makes no sense. A creature should not get weaker due to it's bond with you. I believe it is worded this way because the base familiars all have 0 bab, and hp that is almost lower than an average wizard's to begin with. However it is possible to get a wizard down to 1 hp/level and improved familiar a creature with much more hp than the wizard.

I believe this is a case where RAW and RAI do not agree. However at my table we will continue to play with familiars as makes sense.

noob
2018-08-24, 01:18 PM
It says that, then goes on to say the same thing you said, which is.... Well it makes no sense. A creature should not get weaker due to it's bond with you. I believe it is worded this way because the base familiars all have 0 bab, and hp that is almost lower than an average wizard's to begin with. However it is possible to get a wizard down to 1 hp/level and improved familiar a creature with much more hp than the wizard.

I believe this is a case where RAW and RAI do not agree. However at my table we will continue to play with familiars as makes sense.
for saves it is the highest base save that counts.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm