PDA

View Full Version : Mouthpick Double Weapon

cartejos
2018-08-24, 07:35 AM
If you were to mouthpick a quarterstaff, for instance, would both sides of the quarterstaff need the enchantment to use it as a double weapon?
Can you use it as a double weapon at all?
The example picture in Lords of Madness has a mouthpick Falchion, so two handed weapons can be put as mouthpick, and that is widely accepted. But is it treated as being wielded in one hand?
If it is treated as being wielded in one hand, then you couldn't TWF with it, but that brings up the problem of wielding 2 handed weapons in 1 hand.

My personal stance is that a mouthpick weapon is wielded with the minimum effort needed to wield the weapon normally.
The fallout from this is that Double Weapons that can be wielded in 1 hand (such as a ghost spike) can't be used as a double weapon in you mouth, but weapons such as the quarterstaff can, because the minimum effort to use them is 2 hands, and as long as you aren't wielding it in 1 you can use it as a double weapon.

Thoughts? Other Clarification? Rules I might have missed?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-24, 07:52 AM
There aren't any more rules than the description, which as you've noticed is a little lacking. This is firmly "ask your DM" territory.

For what it's worth i rule that the weapon gets the same str bonus as the bite attack (so 1,5x str if it's the only natural weapon, 1x if it's the primary, 0,5x if it's secondary).
And i wouldn't allow TWFing with a double weapon since no matter how you look at it you're only wielding it with one "limb". You're not holding both ends of a double weapon, only one.

DrMotives
2018-08-24, 08:27 AM
Not that I ever expect this to come up in one of my games, but I've seen a precedent in another game for a double mouthpick weapon. In the very first game in the Phantasy Star video game series, one of the playable characters is a magical talking cat. He equips things called the "iron fang" or the "silver fang" which were shown to be a little metal bar the cat holds in his mouth, with small knife blades on the left & right sides. A double-dagger mouthpick, basically. You'd do a "shake your head no" sort of motion to hit with both blades.

Now if you apply that to say, a hellhound using a mouthpick quarterstaff, it looks ridiculous. But maybe it works for you, I dunno.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-24, 09:30 AM
Mouthpick marulith scissors!

RedWarlock
2018-08-24, 10:47 AM
Only if it was a Hydra or other multi-headed creature using two heads to wield, and both ends were enchanted.

Nifft
2018-08-24, 10:51 AM
Only if it was a Hydra or other multi-headed creature using two heads to wield, and both ends were enchanted.

Mmm, good call.

Ettin mouthpick dire-flail.