PDA

View Full Version : $13k gp + 1 Rare Item to start, Best Magic Items for a Barbarian?

Hooligan
2018-08-24, 09:40 AM
Good day Playgrounders,

We are starting a new campaign with the PCs at level 13. High magic setting. DM loves to run very difficult encounters, so optimization is important.
Starting wealth is 13000 gp and 1 rare item of our choice.
The gold can be used to buy anything in the DMG at the following prices: Common 100g, Uncommon 500g, Rare 5000, V.Rare 20000

I'll be playing a path of berserker barbarian, perhaps with a few levels in Fighter. I'm not used to having the full menu of magic items at my fingertips, so I was hoping for some advice on what to buy.

I had a few broad ideas:

Optimize the natural strengths of the class, melee firepower and survivability, +2 weapon, cloak of displacement, flame tongue, magic armor/shield, etc.
Shore up weaknesses like battlefield mobility and defense vs spellcasting, cloak of the mountebank, mantle of spell resistance, winged boots...
Some mix of the 2

Would love your opinions & recommendations.

DeTess
2018-08-24, 09:52 AM
I'd definitely get something that allows you to fly a couple of times per day, as starting at that level you're bound to run into a dragon or two. Apart from that, I'd focus on getting a cool weapon, and use an leftover stuff for utility.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-24, 02:26 PM
Do you know how your generating stats?

If it's PB I'd go with a Belt of hill giant strength.

Cloak of displacement gets rid of the main drawback to reckless attacking.

Do you have darkvision? if you don't then Goggles of night are 100% worth it.

Winged boots for 500gp is definitely worth it as well.

nickl_2000
2018-08-24, 02:52 PM
Atunement Slots:
1: Belt of Hill Giant Strength (rare and free) - This allows you to place 13 into strength and you can max out other stats.
2: Cloak of Displacement (rare 5000) - Disadvantage on all attacks against you.
3: Sunblade (rare 5000) - +2 weapon with other cool stuff

Other Items that are possible and in budget:
Sentinel Shield - (Uncommon 500 gp) - So you can go first all the time.
Armor +1 - (Uncommon, 500 gp plus armor costs)
Broom of Flying (Uncommon, 500gp) - Let's you fly without attunement
Decanter of Endless Water (Uncommon, 500gp) - Great for silliness
Goggle of Night (Uncommon, 500gp) - Gives nightvision
Immovable Rod (Uncommon, 500gp) - great for silliness
Javelin of Lightning (Uncommon, 500gp) - Gives one really good ranged attack based on strength

the secret fire
2018-08-24, 02:53 PM
Something to help you overcome exhaustion? *looks in DMG*

Damn, there's nothing.

the secret fire
2018-08-24, 02:57 PM
Atunement Slots:
1: Belt of Hill Giant Strength (rare and free) - This allows you to place 13 into strength and you can max out other stats.
2: Cloak of Displacement (rare 5000) - Disadvantage on all attacks against you.
3: Sunblade (rare 5000) - +2 weapon with other cool stuff

Other Items that are possible and in budget:
Sentinel Shield - (Uncommon 500 gp) - So you can go first all the time.
Armor +1 - (Uncommon, 500 gp plus armor costs)
Broom of Flying (Uncommon, 500gp) - Let's you fly without attunement
Decanter of Endless Water (Uncommon, 500gp) - Great for silliness
Goggle of Night (Uncommon, 500gp) - Gives nightvision
Immovable Rod (Uncommon, 500gp) - great for silliness
Javelin of Lightning (Uncommon, 500gp) - Gives one really good ranged attack based on strength

Ugh...this reads like a 3.5 fever dream. I recall now why I hated the magic mart. The DM that set this up is obviously inexperienced.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-24, 03:39 PM
Starting wealth is 13000 gp and 1 rare item of our choice.
The gold can be used to buy anything in the DMG at the following prices: Common 100g, Uncommon 500g, Rare 5000, V.Rare 20000

I'll be playing a path of berserker barbarian, perhaps with a few levels in Fighter. I'm not used to having the full menu of magic items at my fingertips, so I was hoping for some advice on what to buy.

I had a few broad ideas:

Optimize the natural strengths of the class, melee firepower and survivability, +2 weapon, cloak of displacement, flame tongue, magic armor/shield, etc.
Shore up weaknesses like battlefield mobility and defense vs spellcasting, cloak of the mountebank, mantle of spell resistance, winged boots...
Some mix of the 2

I'm guessing you mean that you get one rare item for free. If so, let's look at some options. It's worth noting that you may not want to use armor as a Barb. Also, if you point buy I'd suggest dumping Strength a lot! Down to 4 or 5 should be fine.

-Either Belt of Hill Giant Str(R) (21 Str for 5,000GP) or Gauntlets of Ogre Power(U) (19 Str for 500GP). Both attuned. In your situation I'd likely go with the latter to save money.
-Cloak of Displacement(R) (Effects go away for the round once you're hit successfully, which makes this a little less optimal IF you're always using reckless attack) Requires Attunement.
-Bracers of Defense(R) +2 AC while unarmored, requires attunement.
-Brass Horn of Valhalla(R) No Attunement is a bonus! But only used once/week. Still 3d4+2 berserkers for an hour isn't bad at all. Especially since you could get this and two other Rare items to attune to then also attune to the gauntlets.
-Immovable Rod(U) This is a steal at 500gp with no attunement! Get it no matter what! (Maybe 2-3 if you have the cash).
-Javelin of Lightning(U) Great uncommon magic weapon w/unique property!
-Keogthom's Ointment(U) Better healing that Health Pot with cure poison and multiple charges.
-Quiver of Ehlonna(U): Store a few of those Javelin's in here. NO ATTUNEMENT!!!
-There are good maces and swords too, but you can go through those depending on which of these things you pick above. My list would be the following:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power (500) (A)
Cloak of Displacement (5,000) (A)
Bracers of Def (5,000) (A)
Brass Horn of Valhalla (Your free Rare Item)
Immovable Rod (500)
Quiver of Ehlonna (500)
Keogthom's Ointment (500)
Javelins of Lightning x2 (1,000)

All this uses 13,000 gp and 3 attunement slots. Hope that helps!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-24, 03:44 PM

Everyone's first thought, but as I said it's worth considering the Gauntlets of Ogre power for 19 Str and 500 gp. Also, you don't need 13 str to wear either of these items, so I'd dump Str all the way for point buy.

nickl_2000
2018-08-24, 03:56 PM
Everyone's first thought, but as I said it's worth considering the Gauntlets of Ogre power for 19 Str and 500 gp. Also, you don't need 13 str to wear either of these items, so I'd dump Str all the way for point buy.

True that you don't need 13 strength to wear these items, but the OP said that there would perhaps be a few levels of fighter. To do that you need the 13 strength.

MrWesson22
2018-08-24, 04:11 PM
I'm going to go a bit different here and say do not get a strength item. You will want your strength to be 20 by level 11 anyway. If you want, you could get both a cloak and a ring of protection for +2 AC and +2 to all saves. The ring is rare, so take it for free. The cloak is only uncommon, so 500gp. That leaves you plenty of money for a broom of flying (unlimited flight for 500gp) and a nice weapon. If you need to shore up stats, an amulet of health gives 19 con.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-24, 04:19 PM
If a Dwarf, get a Dwarven Thrower. It'll save you from getting bogged down with Javelins and hand axes.

GorogIrongut
2018-08-24, 05:19 PM
Obviously this would be greatly facilitated by knowing your stats and race. Someone mentioned you might be thinking about a fighter dip. I would counter by saying that a rogue dip is MUCH more powerful. What subclasses? I'd personally go Zealot and then either AT or Swashbuckler. Do you have a paladin in the party to help with Saves?

I find that Rare magic items can be great, but when weighed against an uncommon, the increase in effect isn't commensurate with monetary sums being applied. Which means that you will be more well rounded and effective having lots of uncommon items (without attunement) than you will be with a couple of stronger rares. I would pick 2-3 rares and go crazy with the uncommons.

Rares (5000gp): 2 costs you your free slot and 5k gold. That leaves you enough gold for 16 uncommon magic items.
Sun Blade (att) great if going rogue or if you don't have night vision.
Silver Horn of Valhalla (no attunement)
Cube of Force (attunement) Can be very useful.
Cloak of Displacement (att)

Uncommon (500gp): 16 magic items rounds out your supply of gold but leaves you pretty well rounded.
Shield +1 (no attunement)
Sentinel Shield (no attunement) 1
Rope of Climbing (no attunement) 2
Ring of Water Walking (no attunement) 3
Periapt of Health (no attunement) 4
Lantern of Revealing (no attunement) 5
Javelin of Lightning (no attunement) Ranged magical attack is great for a barbarian. 6
Immovable Rod (no attunement) 7
Helm of Comprehending Languages (no attunement)
Goggles of Night (no attunement) Depends on your race.
Gloves of Thievery (no attunement) Excellent use if you dip rogue. 8
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength (attunement) A cheap and dirty way to give your Barb high Strength. Considering the Con buffing item is rare and there's no dex one... this is an easy choice to make. 9
Elemental Gem (no attunement) Cheap means of getting one shot elemental back up.
Deck of Illusions (no attunement) This is hugely useful/powerful for the little you will spend to get it. Buy 2 or 3. 11 (2 of them)
Decanter of Endless Water (no attunement) Very useful, just not in combat without being hugely creative. 12
Cloak of Protection (attunement) Good, cheap protection. 13
Broom of Flying (no attunement) 14
Bag of Holding (no attunement) This is ubiquitous. You should have one. You should have a backup. You need somewhere to stick your loot. 16 (2 of them)

Common (100gp):

So by doing this, you just need to put 13 points into Strength (gauntlets) and you can then put the rest of your points into Con and Dex (buffing your HP and Unarmoured Defense). I'd still probably choose Dwarf as the race, but that's just me. I find them ideal for this.

p.s. We love Dwarven Throwers... but they're V Rare. Which is beyond your means.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-24, 05:39 PM
Weapon +2 = -5000gp
This improves your damage output, which a huge part of what Barbarians like to be doing. Also doesn't take attunement. I recommend a polearm with the PAM and GWM feats.

Cloak of Displacement = -1 Rare item
This allows you to nullify a good chunk of the disadvantage from using reckless attack.

Mantle of Spell Resistance: -5000gp
This makes it much less likely to be taken down by a spell, on top of Mindless Rage you should be able to handle quit of a lot on the magic side of things with this.

Winged Boots: -500gp
The mobility from this is simply too good to not take for the price. Giving yourself a fly speed makes a lot of really stressful encounters much easier to handle.

Adamantine Half-Plate: -500gp
It may not be magical, but it will hold you over until you have a very high constitution. Remeber to get 14 dexterity. The immunity to crits is also pretty nice, especially when enemies pile on your and get attacks with advantage through your cloak. No attunement needed.

Use the leftover 2000gp to buy supplies and buy any Uncommon/Common items that don't take attunement you would like.

CTurbo
2018-08-25, 01:34 AM
Belt of Frost Giant Strength
Amulet of Health
Bracers of Defense

With point buy, dump Str and Con and Max Dex and Wis. Continue to pump Dex

As Half-Elf you could start 8 Str, 16 Dex, 8 Con, 12 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha and after the 3 magic items you'd have 23 Str, 16 Dex, 19 Con, 12 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha