PDA

View Full Version : MUNE: a GM emulator

bionicleFanatic
2018-08-24, 05:31 PM
PDF of the emulator (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkmo0t9k4Q)

A blow-by-blow session of an ongoing solo game (https://empaitirkosu.wordpress.com/2018/07/25/blow-by-blow-session-intro/)

Have you been kicked out of your weekly game for playing an edgy jerk? Has your DM canceled due to crippling anxiety, again? Has a small meteor with the word SCHEDULING hit your house?

And you still need to scratch that dungeon-roaming, character-building, monster-slaying itch? Then maybe solo D&D is the thing for you.

A while back I posted a brief overview on r/DnD about how I play D&D with only myself and an emulator. It blew up in a big way, so here I am to spread the radiation poisoning. Have fun, and remember to like, subscribe, and leave a demonic ritual script in the comments below.

aimlessPolymath
2018-08-24, 08:21 PM
Wow, this is interesting. Bookmarked for later!

continuumg
2018-08-24, 09:09 PM
I Love it.

GGambrel
2018-08-24, 09:41 PM
Neat! I think some of the ideas in MUNE could also be useful for planning sessions/adventures.

Sgt. Cookie
2018-08-24, 10:38 PM
I concur with GGambrel. I have a game I'm planning weeeeeeeel in advance and this might be perfect to help me figure out the details.

Knaight
2018-08-25, 12:15 AM
Have you been kicked out of your weekly game for playing an edgy jerk?
What? No, of course not.

Has your DM canceled due to crippling anxiety, again?
Certainly not - it's not even plausible.

Has a small meteor with the word SCHEDULING hit your house?
You know it. All day, every day. It's basically a constant meteor shower from the Scheduling belt.

As such, I decided to give this a look - less because I'd expected actual utility from it (the social aspect of RPGs is pretty key for me), but because it sounded interesting. I like it - simple enough to be easily usable, broadly functional, with some interesting thoughts on secondary creativity as a general matter.

MoleMage
2018-08-25, 12:43 AM
Honestly I would consider using this with a group. Just everyone plays a character, uses this system instead of someone being a GM. Looks solid.

noob
2018-08-25, 03:09 AM
I wonder why everybody use homebrewery while it often places three quarters of the text out of the page thus making everything written in it impossible to understand.
It is not like if the pictures were the most needed thing here.

bionicleFanatic
2018-08-25, 06:59 AM
I wonder why everybody use homebrewery while it often places three quarters of the text out of the page thus making everything written in it impossible to understand.
It is not like if the pictures were the most needed thing here.

Generally it's because Homebrewery is the Unity to GMBinder's Gamemaker: The latter automates a lot of stuff, but the former allows a lot more control for those who know the code.

I think it has trouble displaying on any browser except chrome, so that might be it. If not, I have the PDF on drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYeQ2BiMgnLwMoSV9qCXekscSmeHwNCc/view?usp=sharing) that you can check out.

Jormengand
2018-08-28, 07:36 AM
So I originally made this cleric (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1613535) for a duo Master of the Fallen Fortress game (duo being why she's 2 levels above the standard for MotFF) so let's run her through a MUNE game (MUNE should work as well for PF as for anything, right?) and see what happens.

I am Solluna Shadowlight, cleric of the night and the day... it seems likely that that's something to do with why I'm here...

6, 6

(Intervention: 2)

Well, that's an interesting start! In fact, the fact that I'm a cleric of the night and the day is the whole reason I'm here. It seems likely that I'm trying to restore balance to a location which has lost its standard night and day cycle...

3, 3

Wow, MUNE, you sure do love doubles. No, but it is to do with the night and the day... oh, maybe it's not that the location lost its night and day cycle, but it never had one?

Intervention...

Intervention 4!

Well, okay, fine, the plot hasn't really gone anywhere yet, so I start travelling to a location of some sort which has never felt the touch of night and day, overcast in an eternal evening. How sad. I must rectify this!

It seems likely that it'll be a long journey. What say you, MUNE?

3, 3

...Okay, you need to get over your doubles kink. It's not far, but the road is very dangerous: it's likely that I'll face a random encounter along the way.

2, 1

Okay fine. I reach Castle Evereve (it's a castle now). I bet you anything that it's got all the standard castle defences: a moat (heavy armour no likey), drawbridge, portcullis, and so forth...

1, 6

(Intervention: 1)

Damn it, there's two guard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-0/city-guard-human-warrior-2/)s posted on the wall, too. They won't have seen me from this distance, but -7 to stealth says I'm not gonna have much chance sneaking up on them. Well, let's consider the guards' morale...

- It's unlikely that they'll run away if at least one of them is injured.
- It's possible that they'll run away if they've taken more than 8 damage between them.
- It's likely that they'll run away if one of them is down or they've taken more than 16 damage between them.

Solluna initiative: 2+1=3
Guard 1 initiative: 10+4 = 14
Guard 2 initiative: 9+4 = 13
Surprise!
Solluna moves a little closer
Guard 1 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (16+2=18 vs AC 22)
Guard 2 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (19+2 = 21 vs AC 22)
Solluna moves a little closer...
Solluna attacks guard 1 with javelin - hit (17+3-2=18 vs AC 15) (3+1=4 piercing)
Morale: 4, 5
Guard 1 moves back a little...
Guard 1 attacks Solluna fighting defensively with light crossbow - miss (6+2-4=4 vs AC 22)
Guard 2 moves back a little...
Guard 2 attacks Solluna fighting defensively with light crossbow - miss (18+2-4=16 vs AC 22)
Solluna attacks guard 1 with javelin - hit (16+1-2=17 vs AC 17 (4+1=5 piercing)
Morale: 2
Guard 1 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (16+2=18 vs AC 22)
Guard 2 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (9+2 = 11 vs AC 22)
Solluna attacks guard 1 with javelin - miss (1)
Morale: 5
Guard 1 flees combat.
Guard 2 moves back a little...
Guard 2 attacks Solluna fighting defensively with light crossbow - miss (4+2-4 = 2 vs AC 22)
Solluna attacks guard 2 with javelin - miss (6+3-2=5 vs AC 17)
Morale: 1
Guard 1 rallies!
Guard 1 moves a little closer...
Guard 1 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (18+2=20 vs AC 22)
Guard 2 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (4+2 = 6 vs AC 22)
Solluna casting Murderous Command...
Solluna casts Murderous Command on Guard 2 - success (Will 6+1=7 vs DC 16)
Morale: 2
Guard 1 attacks Solluna with light crossbow - miss (11+2=13 vs AC 22)
Guard 2 draws halberd...
Guard 2 charges guard 1 with halberd - hit (17+6 = 23 vs AC 15) (5+1=6 slashing)
Guard 1 falls unconscious!
Guard 2 snaps out of it!
Morale: 5, 6
Guard 2 flees!
Solluna Shadowlight gained 270 experience points!

Guard 1 stabilises at -8 hit points (3, 6, 9, 6, 4, 10)

Right, well that was... interesting. I burst through a first-level spell, but didn't actually take any damage. This is probably fine.

Now, how the hell am I gonna get past the moat, drawbridge, or anything else much? This armour just saved me from a lot of pain, but it could make it impossible to get into the castle.

Hey, DM, would you allow me to use a summoned ice elemental to freeze the water solid so I can walk across?

Fine, fine... any-tool, activate!

Traveller's Any-Tool shape-shifted into grappling hook!

Solluna attacks parapet with grappling hook - hit (3+3-1=5 vs AC 5)

I coulda just tried again if I'd missed, sure, but it would have been Possible that something would happen in the time I wasted. Right, let's put our shield on our back and start climbing...

Solluna climbs a rope with a wall to brace against - failure (7-5=2 vs DC 5)
Solluna climbs a rope with a wall to brace against - success (20-5=15 vs DC 5)

And I'm at the top! Let's grab my shield back on, and pull up the rope. It seems possible that the guard might have sounded the alarm already...

Oh, I see you, entire patrol headed this way. Plenty of time to get out of the way. Let's get inside one of these guard towers...

Traveller's Any-Tool shape-shifted into carpentry axe!

And then get the hell out of dodge before that patrol sees me.

Okay, portent, what's our status?

AVID MOTHBALL

A mothman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/mothman) appears! I really, really hope it's friendly...

4, 5

Friendly. Neat! I guess that the whole "Guiding by the light of the moon" thing would be messed with by the night and day being messed up. I'm loving this Agent of Fate ability, can we get a portent on that?

SQUINT UNFOLDING

I'm going to go hyper-RAW here and say that "Recreate the effects of any spell" does not imply as though you were the caster, so... scrying. As though Solluna were the caster. So, what are we scrying on here?

BISEXUAL DELIVERANCE

A vampire lady, surrounded by her many lovers of varying gender, receives a special delivery...

Okay, the mothman's distracting everyone, time to go. I assume that vampire is in the keep at the middle of the castle? Obviously, too high-level to fight directly; I'll have to give her a taste of the sunlight that she's been missing all her life.

Portent, give me a location of interest!

KNOTTED FLOSS

Okay, and I thought that the previous one was hard to work with...

HEATHEN FUTILITY

A chapel! Of course, that's where we would expect important artefacts to be held! I assume that the chapel is guarded by, like, vampire spawn or something?

1, 2

Huh, okay. It seems Possible that there are a bunch of dominated human supplicants outside?

No, in fact the people there seem not to be any out of dominated, human, and supplicants. Vampires can summon wolves and such, right? That seems like a Likely set of guards...

2, 4

Ah, yes. Only 1d6 of them, rather than the 2d6 we might expect, though...

Let's do the combat thing:

Morale: Unlikely when damaged, possible when one downed, likely when two downed.

Solluna initiative: 7+1=8
Wolf 1 initiative: 9+2=11
Wolf 2 initiative: 1+2=3
Wolf 3 initiative: 3+2=5
Wolf 1 charges Solluna with bite - hit (18+4=22 vs FFAC 21) (5+1=6 BSP)
Wolf 1 attempts trip against Solluna - failure (8+2=10 vs FFCMD 13)
Solluna readies to attack wolf 3 with estoc...
Wolf 3 charges Solluna with bite...
Solluna attacks wolf 3 with estoc - hit (10+3=13 vs AC 12) (3+4+1=8 piercing)
...miss (4+4=8 vs AC 22)
Wolf 2 charges Solluna with bite - miss (14+4=18 vs AC 22)
Morale: 6, 1
Intervention...
Intervention 2!
Entity positive for... (1d4=3) wolf 3!
Wolf 3 finds the resolve to carry on...
Wolf 3 heals (1d8=3) 3 hit points!
Wolf 1 attacks Solluna with bite - miss (9+2=11 vs AC 22)
Solluna attacks wolf 3 with estoc - hit (16+3=19 vs AC 14) (4+2+1=7 piercing)
(This carries on in a similar vein for several rounds with no retreat or intervention...)
Solluna attacks wolf 2 with estoc - critical hit (20, 11+3=14 vs AC 14), (2*(3+4+1)=16 piercing)
Solluna Shadowlight gained 1200 experience points!

Down to 17 HP...

Solluna Shadowlight invests 10 hit points in her Shawl of Life Keeping
Solluna Shadowlight channels positive energy (5+3+3=11)
So, on 18, with 10 in the shawl for the guardian angel effect. Suits me just fine for now.

Right, did anything interesting happen outside while I was fighting those wolves?

No time to stick around. Let's cut down the door, to reveal...

BLISTERING INVESTOR

"Investor" seems a bit too empty to use here, but I think I see a cleric of a sun god chained to the wall. Probably not in great shape...

1, 6

Mm, I'll need Speak with Dead if I want to get any help out of this guy. Naturally, I don't have it prepared. There's gotta be a way down, I guess?

6, 1

Yeah, big ol' staircase, right in front of me. Let's go down and see what we can see...

LURID WIG

Red jesters are way above my pay grade.

OSTENTATIOUS ZEROED

The inscription on the floor is in celestial - it reads:

"Behold the centre of all things,
Where there is neither life nor death,
Truth nor lie,
Night nor day,
There is only evening, deception and undeath".

This would be a good place for some vampire spawn...

6, 2
Intervention...
Intervention 3!

"Behind you... hahaha!"

Vampire Spawn Initiative: 3+1=4
Solluna Initiative: 7+1=8
Surprise!
Vampire Spawn partial-charges Solluna with slam - miss (14+4+2=20 vs FFAC 21)
Solluna considers what she knows - success (religion 10+5=15 vs DC 14)
Solluna takes a step back...
Solluna casting create water...
Solluna casts create water! (8 untyped)
Vampire Spawn takes a step forwards...
Vampire Spawn attacks Solluna with slam - miss (1)
Solluna takes a step back...
Vampire Spawn attacks Solluna with slam - hit (20, 6+2=8) (2+1=3 bludgeoning, 1 negative level)
Vampire Spawn attacks Solluna with slam - miss (2+2=4)
Vampire Spawn crumbles to nothing!
Solluna gains 1,200 XP!

Okay, this place is flooded and I'm down a level. Let's heal up, duck into a good resting place, and pray that it doesn't stick...

Solluna casting a bunch of healing spells...
Solluna casts a bunch of healing spells!
Solluna tries to heal negative level - success (18+4=22 vs DC 14)
Solluna rests...
This is a relatively safe resting place. It's unlikely that Solluna's sleep will be interrupted...
6, 2

Okay, I'm back up and ready to face another day - bring it, vampires!

(Let me know if you've got any comments or want to see more MUNE-testing, but so far, it seems pretty neat for what it is.)

bionicleFanatic
2018-08-29, 07:43 AM
So I originally made this cleric (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1613535) for a duo Master of the Fallen Fortress game (duo being why she's 2 levels above the standard for MotFF) so let's run her through a MUNE game (MUNE should work as well for PF as for anything, right?) and see what happens.

Le snip.

This was an actual joy to read! :smallbiggrin: It really is wonderful seeing my carppy rules being used to such great effect.

noob
2018-08-29, 11:27 AM
Do you plan to make a multiplayer version of that?

Jama7301
2018-08-29, 07:01 PM
(Let me know if you've got any comments or want to see more MUNE-testing, but so far, it seems pretty neat for what it is.)

This was a treat and really showcased what the system can do.

bionicleFanatic
2018-08-29, 08:29 PM
Do you plan to make a multiplayer version of that?

Well... I mean, the whole point is that it's a solo engine. But I don't see why it couldn't be used to run a game for multiple people either.