PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need help with creating a construct 3.PF

Shocksrivers
2018-08-25, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a rather general question: I don't understand how to craft a construct in Pathfinder.
I also have a rather specific issue: I want to make my dead dog into a flesh golem.

So, a little context: we play a very loose hybrid of 3.5 and Pathfinder, mostly because I wanted to play an Investigator. I have been allowed to take several Alchemist discoveries, such as Wings and now Promethean Disciple, for reasons of fluff. I have read the discovery, and I do understand how to make a Homunculus, but I have something a tad more specific in mind.

We play in the Magic the Gathering setting Innistrad, which is more or less kitchen sink Gothic Horror. I play an Investigator with a dog, who hunts Werewolves and other monsters for a living. Now, in the last campaign, my doggie died while fighting a zombiemaking tree. I gathered pieces of this tree, and the remains of my dog, and ended up with a chalice of pure white mana (magic essence of good and life, more or less). So I asked the DM whether he would allow me to use the zombifying tree and the white mana to make a sort of flesh golem out of my dog.

So my question, using either PF or 3.5, what is the best way to do this. I am allowed to "upgrade" my dog using body parts of other creatures (wings preferably) or something like the acid breath, as long as the base is my dog. We are level 8, and have a lot of down time between adventures. Is there a base that fits what I want, or should I just refluff the homunculus to being my dog?

noob
2018-08-25, 05:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a rather general question: I don't understand how to craft a construct in Pathfinder.
I also have a rather specific issue: I want to make my dead dog into a flesh golem.

So, a little context: we play a very loose hybrid of 3.5 and Pathfinder, mostly because I wanted to play an Investigator. I have been allowed to take several Alchemist discoveries, such as Wings and now Promethean Disciple, for reasons of fluff. I have read the discovery, and I do understand how to make a Homunculus, but I have something a tad more specific in mind.

We play in the Magic the Gathering setting Innistrad, which is more or less kitchen sink Gothic Horror. I play an Investigator with a dog, who hunts Werewolves and other monsters for a living. Now, in the last campaign, my doggie died while fighting a zombiemaking tree. I gathered pieces of this tree, and the remains of my dog, and ended up with a chalice of pure white mana (magic essence of good and life, more or less). So I asked the DM whether he would allow me to use the zombifying tree and the white mana to make a sort of flesh golem out of my dog.

So my question, using either PF or 3.5, what is the best way to do this. I am allowed to "upgrade" my dog using body parts of other creatures (wings preferably) or something like the acid breath, as long as the base is my dog. We are level 8, and have a lot of down time between adventures. Is there a base that fits what I want, or should I just refluff the homunculus to being my dog?

You can probably make an animated object from your dog with whichever properties you like.
Or you could create an amalgam of a flesh golem and of a dog with then a size reducing template.
Then for dog upgrading you might look in augmented creature.
so for example you might do an amalgam of a flesh golem and of a wolf that you amalgam again with an animated object(for having access to animated object powers based on shape such as wings for flight and so on) and with the augmented creature template(for more augmentation shenanigans)

If you do not care much about magic immunity and about it being a golem(a construct powered by a trapped earth elemental) animated object is probably the least complex answer.(do not forget you can increase any of the 4 stat of your construct for 5000 gold every 2 points so by spending 50000 gold for example your dog could have 20 extra str)

If you go and consider that life as a construct is a fascinating thing you might after some character development decide to try to become a construct and then benefit from the awesome deal of a flat constant 5000 gold for 2 more points in a stat.

It is a misconception to say that white is good and life.
white is order and civilisation(and a bunch of other things like that).
So we get in white stuff like tyranny and imprisonment too so creating a golem is an appropriate thing for white since it is about trapping and enslaving an earth elemental in a way that makes it obey orders without the ability to think.

unseenmage
2018-08-25, 08:22 AM
The Building and Modifying Constructs (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/magic/buildingAndModifyingConstructs.html) section of the Pathfinder PRD should prove useful.

On that page you can find alternate rules/guidelines that, with GM approval, will let you create any Construct by pricing it according to its CR.
The formula is CR * CR * 500 for the market price.
Divide that by 2 for the cost to create and the market price times 0.1 will tell you the cost of crafting the Construct's body.

If you want the dog to be crafted but undead I recommend the Necrocraft (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Necrocraft), effectively an animated object zombie.

But you specified a desire to have a Construct doggo.
Behold! The Iron Defender (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/bestiary/monsters/g-i/homunculus-iron-defender) Homunculus!
Converted to PF even!
Just craft check or Fabricate your doggies corpse and some appropriate metal bits and viola, a Construct dog made from, well, your dog.

Alternatively, if you want your dog to still be itself AND technically be a Construct you could use the above Price by CR guidelines to make either a Trompe L'oeil (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Trompe%20l%27Oeil) (oil painting Construct) or an Alter Ego (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Annis%20Hag%20Alter%2 0Ego) (psychic copy Construct) of your pupper.

Be warned that though, these templates can be super cheesey if used to copy the PCs or the campaign bad guys but just copying a dog friend should be fine.

Edit
Oh yeah, also, Homunculus in PF are highly customizable (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/homunculus/) and yeah, wings are an option IIRC.

Shocksrivers
2018-08-27, 02:04 AM
Thank you both, I will consult my DM for what he finds most appropriate, and check to see which suggestions hits that sweet spot between fitting fluff and optimal mechanics!