PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Drow Pantheon

Millstone85
2018-08-25, 10:42 AM
So, three things:
* A while back, I participated in a thread about reinterpreting drow culture and faith in a more positive light.
* I was reminded of this by a more recent thread about taking the evil out of certain monsters.
* The extended Seldarine presented in MToF made me realise there are more deities with a connection to drow than those of the Dark Seldarine.

I now think the best way to approach a world with less sinister drow would be to recompose their pantheon. I am not talking about an alternate reality, but rather about a world the classic Dark Seldarine can not touch by lack of local followers, or maybe because this world's equivalent of Ao does not let them enter.

Here is a table composed from MToF's Seldarine and Dark Seldarine, with modifications in italics. It is followed by my interpretation of these deities in this new context.

The Dark Elven Pantheon

Deity
Alignment
Province
Suggested Domains

Araushnee

??
<dead power>
<none>

Darahl

LN
Earth, fire, metalwork
Arcana, Forge, Light

Eilistraee

CG
Freedom, moonlight, song
Life , Light, Nature

Ghaunadaur

CE
Aberrations, oozes, outcasts
Knowledge, War

Vandria

LN
Grief, justice, vigilance, war
Grave, Order, War

Zinzerena

CN
Assassins, illusion, intrigue
Arcana, Trickery

Araushnee
The name of Araushnee is mostly uttered when collectively referring to Eilistraee, Vandria and Zinzerena as The Daughters of Lost Araushnee. It is said that the goddess' soul was devoured by a demon born of her own wrath, though few have ever heard the name of Lolth. Some see her three "daughters" as uncorrupted remnants of the goddess, while others think her soul could one day be reclaimed from the Abyss.

Darahl
Known as Darahl Tilvenar, Darahl Firecloak, The Even-Tempered, and Lord of the Green Flame. In a world where dark elves do not practice slavery, he is the patron of those who explore and mine the Underdark, as well as of blacksmiths, making him perhaps the most dwarven of elven deities. In addition, he is the master of earth-and-fire-based magic. As the only male god, and with both manual labor and arcane magic being traditionally male purviews, Darahl is especially popular among men. He has few clerics, who often try to pass as wizards.

Eilistraee
Known as The Dark Maiden, Lady Silverhair, and The Dancing Goddess. She is the most compassionate and selfless deity of the pantheon, loved by those who pursue charitable endeavors. She is also the patron of artists who celebrate beauty. Her cult is strongest in the upper Underdark, where dark elves spend as much time under the night sky as they do underground, and weakest in the lower Underdark, where she is often seen as a temptress who would have dark elves abandon their cities to indulge in some foreign frivolity called "moonbathing".

Ghaunadaur
Known as That Which Lurks, and The Elder Eye. "It" is an entity to fear, and maybe to appease, but never to emulate. Anyone exiled from the community is likely to get enslaved and/or eaten by one of the terrifying creatures that are said to be Ghaunadaur's true followers. Yet, secret cults in its name sometimes form within a dark elven city, portraying it as the primal spirit of the Underdark's wildlife, or even plotting to have the city fall under abolethic rule.

Vandria
Known as Vandria Gilmadrith, Lady of Grief, and Steelheart. Since the demise of Araushnee, her expression has been permanently one of grim and sorrowful determination. She is the patron of those who defend the community and keep the peace. She is seen as stern but fair to those under her command, no matter if they are women or men, though most military and political leaders share her gender. She is also believed to protect souls as they travel to the afterlife.

Zinzerena
Known as The Hunted, and The Princess of the Outcasts, though her faithful do not seek such fates. She is the patron of hitmen and spies, a necessary aspect of politics that is only made glamorous in works of fiction. She is also said to help influential women keep secret any interest they might have in arcane magic, as they are expected to focus on the divine. Public worship of Zinzerena is always folded into prayers to The Daughters of Lost Araushnee.

What do you think? I am not planning a campaign, but is that a concept you would use?

Unoriginal
2018-08-25, 11:05 AM
If I was hired by WOTC and told "you have to create a different drow pantheon, not using the existing one", I would take the surface Elven pantheon and create alternative personas based on how the Drow would perceive them.

Ex: Corellon: powerful, clever, but whimsical parent who punished his children for wanting direction, yet support them as they try to reach greatness

And both perception would be true, it's just not the same traits who are admired/worshiped.

In my setting, I thought about making so Lolth still had a place in surface elf temples, because even if she's an evil entity she's still the patron of many traits the elves still have and recognize as part of elfhood.

Millstone85
2018-08-26, 07:00 AM
If I was hired by WOTC and told "you have to create a different drow pantheon, not using the existing one", I would take the surface Elven pantheon and create alternative personas based on how the Drow would perceive them.A variation of this would be to merge surface and Underdark deities. For example, Zandilar, surface goddess of lust and romance, could be known in the Underdark as Keptolo, god of hedonism and fertility. The shift between genders would reflect each society's idea of their roles.

But I think my opening post is simpler in that it doesn't redefine the deities on a cosmic scale. It is just about their influence on a particular world:
* I read online that Darahl became unpopular among surface elves for falling into a trap of Lolth, and has since been seeking followers among the more neutrally-aligned members of Underdark races, including drow and duergars. It is easy to imagine a world where he was particularly successful.
* I also read that Vandria was the only child of Lolth to remain among the Seldarine. In a world kept safe from her mother's influence, she could be more willing to guide dark elves.

In my setting, I thought about making so Lolth still had a place in surface elf temples, because even if she's an evil entity she's still the patron of many traits the elves still have and recognize as part of elfhood.Indeed, MToF made her responsible for elves being elves rather than the much different proto-elves. And they did originally embrace the idea, until she outright attacked Corellon and they had to take a side.