PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew archetype help

TopsideDrow
2018-08-25, 10:26 PM
Ok, need help with building a workable "base" class to run in my homebrew run. All the PCs will be based off the Ronin Warriors' armors in the anime. Any ideas on which way to go since most of the characters use different types of weapons. I know samurai, archer, great weapon fighter, and the like can be used, but I would like to make it simpler for my newbies by making a "base" class.

Grear Bylls
2018-08-25, 11:28 PM
Ok, need help with building a workable "base" class to run in my homebrew run. All the PCs will be based off the Ronin Warriors' armors in the anime. Any ideas on which way to go since most of the characters use different types of weapons. I know samurai, archer, great weapon fighter, and the like can be used, but I would like to make it simpler for my newbies by making a "base" class.

Champion Fighters all around (maybe battlemasters for the confident ones) are THE introductory class. Additionally, champions are actually REALLY good.

No experience with the anime, but the first two levels of fighter should do the trick ft teaching noobs. Maybe archer could go rogue or ranger, GWF could go Paladin (Rogue and Paladin have those classic anime power attacks). Samurai is pretty simplistic. Use an ability thrice per day for for double dice to hit, and a bonus amount of HP. Simple enough. No need for homebrew, imo

TopsideDrow
2018-08-26, 12:10 AM
Champion Fighters all around (maybe battlemasters for the confident ones) are THE introductory class. Additionally, champions are actually REALLY good.

No experience with the anime, but the first two levels of fighter should do the trick ft teaching noobs. Maybe archer could go rogue or ranger, GWF could go Paladin (Rogue and Paladin have those classic anime power attacks). Samurai is pretty simplistic. Use an ability thrice per day for for double dice to hit, and a bonus amount of HP. Simple enough. No need for homebrew, imo

Well the homebrew is coming from the armor sets themselves; abilities, resistances and the like. But just from what I know, I don't see a problem with existing archetypes being used as a base and just modifying the gains at levels. I just wanted to try and brew a base that would work for each PC. But its looking like it'll just be easier using existing.

As for the anime, if you like anime, it's worth the time. Older, like 80's, style art, but a good one. Kinda like Captain Planet, without captain planet. Lol

Grear Bylls
2018-08-26, 06:04 AM
Well the homebrew is coming from the armor sets themselves; abilities, resistances and the like. But just from what I know, I don't see a problem with existing archetypes being used as a base and just modifying the gains at levels. I just wanted to try and brew a base that would work for each PC. But its looking like it'll just be easier using existing.

As for the anime, if you like anime, it's worth the time. Older, like 80's, style art, but a good one. Kinda like Captain Planet, without captain planet. Lol

The archetypes work as they are. No need to over complicate things. Additionall Armor/Weapons shouldn't change anything, really. If you could post the homebrew, it would help more

Kadesh
2018-08-26, 06:15 AM
If you have Newbies, play the base game first with them. Introduce them to the game slowly. Fighter is the easiest class in the game to play.

Someone wants to be a walking behemoth, not getting scratched? Eldritch Knight with Shield and Absorb Elements, Plate Armour, Defensive Fighting Style, Shield and Warcaster Feat at 1st level from VHuman.

Someone wants to be a Legolas type Archer, Champion Fighter with Sharpshooter feat, Archery fighting Style, and a Longbow

Someone wants to be a melee Striker type, then a Battlemaster, or a Samurai with a Greatsword, Great Weapon Master, Great Weapon Fighting Style

All play very different from one another, even if it still resorts to make lots of attacks on your round.

No homebrew needed.