PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mechanically best sub-races for Diviner (Wizard)?

hwem
2018-08-26, 12:07 AM
I understand many won't like the "mechanical best" or "optimal" terms but I'd like to hear your opinions.
What do you think is the best subrace for a divination wizard?
If you had to rank some of the best subraces, how would you do it?
Personally, I'm thinking, from best being #1, the following:
(THANKS!)

1. Deep/Forest gnome
2. Eladrin
3. High elf
4. Rock gnome
5. Variant human

Arkhios
2018-08-26, 12:16 AM
I understand many won't like the "mechanical best" or "optimal" terms but I'd like to hear your opinions.
If you had to rank some of the best subraces, how would you do it?
Personally, I'm thinking, from best being #1, the following:
(THANKS!)

1. Deep/Forest gnome
2. Eladrin
3. High elf
3. Rock gnome
4. Variant human

First of all, you have two races as "3.", but 5 races in total. If it's to imply that high elf and rock gnome share the third place, I don't think listing a shared "nth" place is really worth it.

Second, I'd say #1 is unequivocally Variant Human with Observant feat because it also gives you a choice between +1 int and +1 wis (essentially/potentially giving you a +2 to int and +1 to any one as your racial modifiers), and because you'd become incredibly good at noticing stuff (a divinatory trick as well) even without magic.

Spectrulus
2018-08-26, 12:17 AM

1. Halfling, either one
2. Goliath, 3. Lizardfolk, 4. Kobold, 5. Drow, doesn't matter.

Because halflings can ignore 1's, and can take a lucky feat at 4th, if you really wanted to get the best mileage out of changing all the dice, halfling is the way to go. I believe it's known as Bill Murray build.

hwem
2018-08-26, 02:32 AM
First of all, you have two races as "3.", but 5 races in total. If it's to imply that high elf and rock gnome share the third place, I don't think listing a shared "nth" place is really worth it.

Second, I'd say #1 is unequivocally Variant Human with Observant feat because it also gives you a choice between +1 int and +1 wis (essentially/potentially giving you a +2 to int and +1 to any one as your racial modifiers), and because you'd become incredibly good at noticing stuff (a divinatory trick as well) even without magic.

Thanks. I have seen people going with human to pick up resilient-CON from level 1 but I suppose observant is also very nice.

Beelzebubba
2018-08-26, 03:07 AM
There's also doubling down on the dice control with Lucky.

It fits well alongside the diviner dice.

hwem
2018-08-26, 12:25 PM
There's also doubling down on the dice control with Lucky.

It fits well alongside the diviner dice.

I plan to. lol. It's going to be so fun. I still can't really decide on the race though. I guess halfing and variant human are the best then.

Luccan
2018-08-26, 12:43 PM
Gnomes (of any kind) give you the largest boost to your primary stat (Int). They also give useful secondary bonuses, either to Dex which you'll need for AC if things go bad or to Con, which helps with keeping concentration on spells.

If you're looking for a thematic fate-weaver instead of a regular oracle, halflings are your best option, since they get an extra way to manipulate the d20.

Other than that, I'd agree that high-elves and V. humans are good. High elves get the free cantrip and bonus to Int. V. humans can choose a good feat (Con save proficiency?) and put their attribute bonus into Int.

LudicSavant
2018-08-26, 01:03 PM
Hobgoblin: Boosts Int and Con, gets armor and martial weapon proficiencies, and can boost its attacks, ability checks, and saving throws by +5 1/short rest. Even better, you can decide to use this bonus after determining that the roll failed.

Yuan-Ti Pureblood: Gets an int bonus, magic resistance, poison immunity, and other stuff.

Winged Feral Tiefling: Gets an Int bonus, Dex bonus, and flies.

hwem
2018-08-26, 02:12 PM
Thank you everyone!

side note: I guess Human evil wizard works very well, thematically due to their ambition also!

Particle_Man
2018-08-27, 06:10 PM
Mountain Dwarf gets to wear armour for free. That seems mechanically nice for AC.