PDA

View Full Version : Best Arcane Spells by Level

kbob
2018-08-26, 10:14 AM
As the title suggests: what are the best arane spells per level (maybe top 3 for each)? This is referring to ALL arcane spells regardless of class (wizard, bard, etc.). There is also no limit on source material as long as its official 3.5 dnd.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-26, 10:21 AM
Haste (trapsmith)

Alter Self
Dimension Door (trapsmith)

Lesser Planar Binding (Demonologist)
Haste
Fabricate (Trapsmith)

Planar Binding (Demonologist)
Lesser Planar Binding (Nar Demonbinder)
Liquid Pain

Lesser Planar Binding
Fabricate
Investiture of the Orthon

Planar Binding

Greater Planar Binding
Moment of Prescience
Mind Blank

Gate
Mindrape
Wish

Cosi
2018-08-26, 11:09 AM
Building off what's listed here:

Haste (trapsmith)

For standard spells, color spray/sleep/grease/silent image. sleep is probably best at first level, silent image is best longterm. fengut (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a) is an obscure spell that is a Fort-based Illusion save-or-suck.

Alter Self
Dimension Door (trapsmith)

The Death Master gets animate dead as a second level spell. In the long run that isn't much better than getting it as a 3rd or 4th level spell (because you're casting it during downtime so the slot doesn't matter), but it gives you some potentially absurd power at 3rd level.

Lesser Planar Binding (Demonologist)
Haste
Fabricate (Trapsmith)

Pretty sure regular haste is not better than stinking cloud or other offensive 3rd level spells. dominate person is 3rd level on the Thayan Slaver, which is an awesome pickup if you encounter any humanoid opponents. glibness is a standard favorite.

Planar Binding (Demonologist)
Lesser Planar Binding (Nar Demonbinder)
Liquid Pain

planar binding is strictly better than lesser planar binding. If you're using this for a character, you're better off with polymorph or even evard's black tentacles.

Lesser Planar Binding
Fabricate
Investiture of the Orthon

Dude stop putting normal level spells when you have bargain bin access to already. magic jar is good here. So is cloudkill. People keep telling me that teleport breaks their campaigns, so apparently it's good.

Planar Binding

otto's irresistible dance is pretty good as a 6th level spell (Bard List).

For 7ths, you can't beat simulacrum.

Gate
Mindrape
Wish

wish is actually kinda bad if you cast it. The XP cost is a lot for fairly marginal effects. shapechange is better, particularly because Zodar shapechange gets you wish anyway. hide life is okay too.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-26, 12:11 PM
For 7ths, you can't beat simulacrum.

True dat. Also Ice Assassin for 9th level spell.

If you've been reading my recent threads, you'd understand why I'd say wish is an awesome spell, especially when using Savage Species to turn you into a LA+9999 creature at no cost when you're at a satisfactory level or when using it to create epic level constructs, but... i stand corrected.

Shapechange = Free Wishes.
Ice Assassin >>> every spell in the game.
Gate is better than everything other than the above two.

So I amend my post. These three are the best 9th level spells in the game.

Dude stop putting normal level spells when you have bargain bin access to already.

Not all characters have access to bargain bin levels, and planar binding line of spells is just too ****ing good that they outperform every spell in the game even when using normal levels. Name one 6th level spell that's better than access to every single 1-16hd outsiders.

kbob
2018-08-26, 05:58 PM
Thanx for the help! I'm playing a CStP Eurudite and I'm looking for some ideas. The DM allows anything source material and some stuff from Dragon mag but at his discretion (which is why I didn't mention it in the OP). The only other restriction is that we can't use "combos" that he would deem as not intended by the designers (i.e. Pun Pun, Cancer Mage, WH+HH cheese, anything giving unlimited ability points/damage, etc.). I realize this can be a little murcky as to what he means as it it solely up to his interpretation. However, I'm pretty sure I have a grasp of what he is against. He doesn't mind broken as he believes he can break broken (if that makes sense) with whatever challenge he creates. I think he likes power games and enjoys the challenge of finding ways to challenge us. At any rate, that's why I chose what I chose and I'm looking for arcane Spell ideas to take. So please keep them coming. Also, if you have some neat spell effect from some spell that is not well known, then by all means include. Thanx!

Cosi
2018-08-26, 06:19 PM
If you've been reading my recent threads, you'd understand why I'd say wish is an awesome spell, especially when using Savage Species to turn you into a LA+9999 creature at no cost when you're at a satisfactory level or when using it to create epic level constructs, but... i stand corrected.

wish certainly does broken things. It's probably the most broken spell in the game because SLA wish gives you as much power as you are able to describe in the form of a magic item with no questions asked. But it's not very powerful as a spell. Using it to create constructs costs ruinous amounts of XP, and since the transformation rituals are one-and-done you don't need to know wish for that. Just buy a scroll.

Not all characters have access to bargain bin levels, and planar binding line of spells is just too ****ing good that they outperform every spell in the game even when using normal levels. Name one 6th level spell that's better than access to every single 1-16hd outsiders.

OP has explicitly noted that they do have access to those though.

gkathellar
2018-08-26, 06:35 PM
How has solid fog gone unmentioned? It's a stunningly effective AoE debuff with an extremely niche counter.

flappeercraft
2018-08-26, 09:25 PM
I would like to nominate these

Nerveskitter (1st Level, SpC)
Wings of Cover (2nd Level, RotD)
Celerity (4th Level, PHB2)
Draconic Polymorph (5th Level, Drac)
Starmantle (6th Level, BoED)
Mystic Shield (8th Level, AEoS)
Genesis (9th Level, ELH)
Elminster's Effulgent Epuration (9th Level, PGtF)

If I think of any others I'll edit them in

Deophaun
2018-08-26, 09:38 PM
1st: Improvisation (Multiple scaling luck bonuses to skill checks, ability checks, and attack rolls)
2nd: Dragoneye Rune (Permanent GPS tracker)
2nd: Undead Eyes (Only if you're a necromancer, then mandatory: makes any mindless undead a remote-piloted drone)
3rd: Dweomer Vortex (Targeted dispel without that pesky CL check)
4th: Forceward (That'll teach your DM to make the enemy's fortress out of walls of force)