PDA

View Full Version : Squat Nimbleness Long Death Monk

Kadesh
2018-08-26, 02:51 PM
So, been mulling this over in my head for a few days, and I quite like the idea of this being an alternative tank for the party, trading a Ki Point for dodge and spending a HD.

Although a D8 HD, the bonus HP from a hill dwarf turns it into effectively D10 and with 18 Con at 4th level) , and its wis bonus makes it quite strong synergistically, while Monk mitigates the Dwarf speed limitations. The setting is starting from level 1 without equipment (I think we are running OotA), with a background providing thieves tools. Given the limited battlefields of that area, I think that the Monk might be a slightly more different version of the Tank.

As a theme, and to get away from the typical appearance of a QStaff Monk, he'll be using a single sickle.

The DM typically runs a game in which a Tank with untouchable defenses isn't an effective one as it makes the enemies target other foes, so by being able to Bonus Action Dodge and Heal and use the Long Death Monks abilities will come in helpful. We also tend to play RAW with the exception of Magic Items: we get attunement slots equal to our proficiency mod, and items tend to be influenced by other media like Diablo, and tend to be passive effects providing benefits based on expense on what we already do (such as spending or generating Ki Points, or empowering lesser abilities).

I'm used to playing DPS Strikers and battlefield controllers, and feel that the Monk will be able to combine that at the same time, while providing a new take on the typical 'tank' that hasn't interested me before.

Has anyone played similar? Any tips on how to play a Monk (specifically Long Death) from level 1? Any suggestions?

CTurbo
2018-08-26, 03:23 PM
Long Death Monk's are great IMO, and Hill Dwarf is an interesting race to play as one. Are you going point buy? Dex is still the Monk's most important attribute so it's going to hurt a little having to start with a +2 mod there, but it's not a deal breaker. But you're definitely going to want to spend both your level 4 and level 8 ASIs bumping it before considering anything else. I would start 15 Dex, 16 Con, and 16 Wis and take Squat Nimbleness at level 4 to bump Dex to 16, and then get 18 Dex at level 8. By then, this would be a great and extremely fun character to play.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-26, 10:54 PM
I also like this way of tanking. For slightly less HP though you could be a Goblin instead. You start with better Dex and have some free bonus actions, plus a 1/rest tiny dmg bonus. with point buy you can start with 17 dex, level 4 get squat nimbleness, level 8 get either Tough or Durable. then increase your wis or dex.

Goblins are great.

Edit: totally forgot that you want the Dwarven fortitude feat to dodge+ heal.

Spieldog20
2018-08-29, 05:47 AM
With the DM style you mentioned, you may need Sentinel also to be sticky, so he cannot have enemies just move past you. Needing 2 feats with a 14 dex to start becomes a challenge...

Kadesh
2018-08-29, 07:00 AM
With the DM style you mentioned, you may need Sentinel also to be sticky, so he cannot have enemies just move past you. Needing 2 feats with a 14 dex to start becomes a challenge...

If I'm being hit, they'll tend to attack me. If there is a guy wearing armour, they'll attack the guy not wearing armour as it should require less resources. I'm going to switch to 15 Dex and add to my Dex with Squat Nimbless so that I get the bonus to damage and AC, making the dodge (so by 4th, I'll be 8/16/16/10/14/12).

That is an AC of 15: an AC28 Eldritch Knight isn't going to be very useful in that regard for party tanking outside of a few initial swings perhaps during ambushes, or when we can force enemies on to him such as in a tunnel. Me being able to be hit and not wearing armour is going to attract more people to hit me outright, and Squat Fortitude was going to be the vehicle that would allow me to heal myself.

We are slightly helped by disallowing variant Humans, so we are all trying out different builds for it.

Thanks for the insights :)

PeteNutButter
2018-08-29, 11:22 AM
The problem with the build is definitely the low starting dex to hit and AC, but it can work. It just a struggle because the whole advantage of dodge is to avoid being hit, but disadvantage to be hit doesn't work well with low AC.

An ogre for example will still have a 36% chance to hit your 15 AC even when you dodge. A fighter in splint with a shield and Defense FS (20 AC) has a 35% chance of being hit all the time without spending a bonus action or a resource.

The real question is whether or not your DM tends to use enemies above your CR. It's a common thing especially when DMs like to have a singular tough enemy to hit the party with something that is technically "too hard." If that's the case, your dodge will be basically useless.

On the other hand if your DM likes to use a lot of goons, then dodge is quite strong against their small attack modifiers.