PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a back story.

Starchild7309
2018-08-26, 09:00 PM
So today my character was disintegrated and I had to reroll. I rolled a Half orc Zealot Barbarian of Tempus.

He is obviously Half Orc and half Northlander Human (think Norse). His mother was a warrior and during one of her raids she was captured and assaulted by Orcs, leaving her pregnant when she returned home after escaping. She was a respected warrior of the clan and therefore given the leeway to raise what she considered a blessing, conceived during battle, others saw my character as a curse. I had to prove myself doing the worst and most dangerous jobs during raids and eventually started to prove myself. However, during one raid I was left behind and found my way to Waterdeep. There I joined up with a Merc outfit. Soon I became disillusioned with the Merc's desire of money over honor and left them after meeting a Dragonborn Paladin of Torm(other new character since another players character died today). He has yet to work out his back story yet, but we are supposed to meet up with the rest of the group, deep, deep, deep in the Underdark.

I suppose my question, or my issue is why the hell would we be down there? Am I looking for something? An artifact? Powerful magic item? Seems cliche and the DM is not big on handing out powerful items. I am kind of trying to work on getting my DM to go along with my character hearing the voice of Tempus in his mind (like the Irishman from Braveheart). Perhaps I do hear it, maybe I am just mentally ill. That's for the DM to decide, so that could get me down there. What other reasons might I be down there?

Finback
2018-08-27, 12:17 AM
Perhaps the clan of orcs that sired you moved territory over the years, and you feel conflicting urges - to know your heritage of that half of your being, but to also vent your anger at them for what happened to your mother. Perhaps you will kill the clan lord, and then do you embrace that heritage, or leave the orcs scattered and in ruin.

Alternately, perhaps there is a famous weapon that was lost to your human clan - by reclaiming it, you will gain status in their eyes, and no longer be treated as a reminder of the enemy.

Wilko
2018-08-28, 06:17 AM
You could have the paladin be given a vision of some great evil which needs to be destroyed and you as a talented warrior looking for a cause more about honor that profit got recruited to aid him. You could work that in to your split with the mercs by having the paladin try to hire some of them but get gouged for extra money, big argument, you side with the DB and off you go...