PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help for the right moment to multiclass a sorcerer

WrabbitW
2018-08-26, 09:20 PM
Hi there!

I am currently playing a brass draconic sorcerer at level 3 (oriented blast/control with heightened and quickened metamagics) and I want to take a dip of 3 levels in the warlock class to increase the number of spells I can cast.
The idea is to take thoose 3 levels (or maybe a fourth to get +5 CHA earlier but I am not sure it is worth loosing my 9th level spell and the 4th metamagic) to gain the following stuff:

-2 cantrips (probably eldricht blast with the agonizing blast invocation and acid spash)
-4 spells (lot of options here, I guess I could even pick in the sorcerer list for thoose ones?)
-Pact of the tome for 3 additionals cantrip and the invocation to get 2 rituals (familiar)
-One patron, probably the great old one for the spell list and telepathy

However I would also loose thoose:

-delay the time I get to 20 CHA
-delay the acces to higher level spells
-loose 3/4 sorcery points (compensated by the 2 extra slots that can turn into 4 sorcery points)
-delay the acces to all the cool abilities of sorcerer (metamagic,wings,...)

I still think it is a good idea to take this dip (actually it even fits in the story of my character) but I am no sure how to proceed and I'd like some help to make my mind. I am considering the following options:

-multiclassing sorcerer 4 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as sorcerer (I would not get fireball until level 9)
-multiclassing sorcerer 5 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as sorcerer (I would not get the fire bonus of draconic sorcerer before level 9 and only get CHA at 20 at level 12 or level 9 if I take 4 levels of warlock)
-multiclassing sorcerer 6 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as a sorcerer (basically same scenario as before but I would have the fire bonus)

What do you think? Maybe an other combination would work better?
Thank you for the help!

McSkrag
2018-08-26, 09:44 PM
Hi there!

I am currently playing a brass draconic sorcerer at level 3 (oriented blast/control with heightened and quickened metamagics) and I want to take a dip of 3 levels in the warlock class to increase the number of spells I can cast.
The idea is to take thoose 3 levels (or maybe a fourth to get +5 CHA earlier but I am not sure it is worth loosing my 9th level spell and the 4th metamagic) to gain the following stuff:

-2 cantrips (probably eldricht blast with the agonizing blast invocation and acid spash)
-4 spells (lot of options here, I guess I could even pick in the sorcerer list for thoose ones?)
-Pact of the tome for 3 additionals cantrip and the invocation to get 2 rituals (familiar)
-One patron, probably the great old one for the spell list and telepathy

However I would also loose thoose:

-delay the time I get to 20 CHA
-delay the acces to higher level spells
-loose 3/4 sorcery points (compensated by the 2 extra slots that can turn into 4 sorcery points)
-delay the acces to all the cool abilities of sorcerer (metamagic,wings,...)

I still think it is a good idea to take this dip (actually it even fits in the story of my character) but I am no sure how to proceed and I'd like some help to make my mind. I am considering the following options:

-multiclassing sorcerer 4 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as sorcerer (I would not get fireball until level 9)
-multiclassing sorcerer 5 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as sorcerer (I would not get the fire bonus of draconic sorcerer before level 9 and only get CHA at 20 at level 12 or level 9 if I take 4 levels of warlock)
-multiclassing sorcerer 6 to warlock 3 and then leveling up as a sorcerer (basically same scenario as before but I would have the fire bonus)

What do you think? Maybe an other combination would work better?
Thank you for the help!

My first recommendation is don't multiclass at all.

Pure caster classes like Sorcerer just get better and more powerful with each new level of spells in their class. Multiclassing just slows this down.

You need to ask yourself, what does the Warlock give you that is better than the next level of Sorcerer spells?

But if you want to add Warlock levels, I would stop at 2 levels of Warlock for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, 2 short rest 1st level spell slots, and another invocation.

CTurbo
2018-08-27, 01:41 AM
My first thought was after Sorcerer 5 for 3rd level spells, but then I thought no level 6 is a great level from Draconic Sorcerers, but if you plan on picking up EB+ Agonizing Blast, the adding Cha to Fire damage feature at level 6 is redundant.

Fiendlock pairs nicely with a Fire Draconic Sorc though. I LOVE the temp hp from Fiend as well as the ability to roll a 1d10 on any save or check.

I LOVE GOOlock with Subtle Spell as I personally allow spells with only the V component like Vicious Mockery to be done telepathically via Subtle Spell. Ask your DM.

Tomelock is always great for Utility. More Cantrips and beaing able to learn ALL rituals is huge.

Either way, I'd probably wait until Sorc 5 or 6 to multiclass and I would probably skip EB and it's invocations. Sorcs don't benefit from it as much as any other class.

WrabbitW
2018-09-11, 02:19 PM
Hello every one,

Thank you for answering. I think I am going to follow McSkrag's suggestion to stick to the sorerer class. I did think about it and it is true that I prefer having higher level spells than getting the lower level spells from the warlock list.
Thank you again for the comments!